Re: [videoblogging] VlogSafe Music

  • Jan McLaughlin
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
      To take the concept one step further, use your camera / mp3 recorder to
      record musicians you know personally and use their music for
      soundtracks.

      I'm tired of consuming things (including food) made by people I don't
      know or care about.

      Jan

      --
      "It isn't done alone. Pay more."
      .

      On Dec 1, 2005, at 4:27 AM, Enric wrote:

      > I followed an entry at http://www.darknet.com/ called 'Just use
      > podsafe music' to the article on the Portable Media Network:
      >
      > http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/blogs/vogele/archives/003576.shtml
      >
      > From there I googled "PodSafe Music" to PodcastNYC.net:
      >
      > http://www.podcastnyc.net/psm/podcast.html
      >
      > I was quite impressed with the music. The classical piano from the
      > Bulgarian musician, Grigor, is beautiful:
      >
      > http://libsyn.com/media/podcastnyc/GrigorIliev-WinterStory.mp3
      >
      > And other pieces were quite good. The terms of usage are basicaly
      > inform and attribute:
      >
      > http://www.podcastnyc.net/terms.htm
      >
      > I think we should support other artists creating shared media in our
      > shared media, rather than inserting well known copyrighted material.
      >
      > What other site do people recommend where artists offer music and
      > other media for sharing?
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Pete Prodoehl
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
        Steve Garfield wrote:
        > I've been using music from the Podsafe Music Network,
        > http://podsafemusicnetwork.com which ends up at
        > http://music.podshow.com
        >
        > Let me tell you why this is such a great resource for vloggers.

        I'm not a big fan of their license though:

        http://music.podshow.com/music/producerTerms.htm

        "Attribution" means recitation of the name of the author of a Work
        and the Work's title within a reasonable time after the work is
        Broadcasted, as well as the source of origin of the Work which shall be
        defined by PodShow within your Producer account, generally at a minimum
        attribution will include necessitation of the name of author Work, title
        of Work and source of origin of Work which is PodShow.com.

        "Broadcast" means Work or an acceptable Derivative Work thereof that
        is played publicly for the benefit of interested listeners, and
        particularly when such Work is played by a listener accessing a digital
        file such as a podcast or streaming media file.

        It's geared more specifically towards podcasting, and I don't want to
        give attribution by 'reciting' things in my videos.

        I prefer strictly CC licensed stuff. I think Magnatune did a great job
        with their license:

        https://magnatune.com/artists/license/podcast

        Pete

        --
        http://tinkernet.org/
        videoblog for the future...
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
          Eric Rice wrote:
          > Opsound.org is one of my favorite sources. Much of it also can be used for commercial
          > purposes, too. And of course, lots of helpful people at musicpodcasting.org
          >
          > Also, I operate that podsafe = vlogsafe, with the caveat that taking music and putting it to
          > video falls under the category of 'derivitive work'...
          >
          > So Vlogsafe/Podsafe/Blogsafe (smirk) = something lacking the no-deriv Creative Commons
          > tag for starters.

          podsafe = vlogsafe except for things like when attribution must be given
          by 'speaking' the name of the artist, song, etc.

          I brought the issue up with Magnatune, and they tweaked things to work
          for videoblogs as well as podcasts:

          http://rasterweb.net/raster/2005/11/16/magnatune-and-videoblogs/

          If you see any organization that provides music (or whatever) that
          doesn't take video into consideration, it might be worth getting in
          touch with them and requesting what you want.

          In the Magnatune case, I think this is perfect:

          Video blogs can put a credit at the end of their video of the form
          "The song 'song name' by 'artist name' used by permission from
          www.magnatune.com"

          Pete

          --
          http://tinkernet.org/
          videoblog for the future...
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
            interesting...

            according to Webster, the definition of recitation includes that the
            information is delivered publicly and *from memory*

            so those podcasters had better not be reading attributions from a script
            or they are violating these agreements!

            ;)

            Pete Prodoehl wrote:

            > "Attribution" means recitation of the name of the author of a Work
            >and the Work's title within a reasonable time after the work is
            >Broadcasted, as well as the source of origin of the Work which shall be
            >defined by PodShow within your Producer account, generally at a minimum
            >attribution will include necessitation of the name of author Work, title
            >of Work and source of origin of Work which is PodShow.com.

            http://apperceptions.org
            http://digitaldojo.blogspot.com
            http://spinflow.org
            http://wearethemedia.com
            http://www.corante.com/events/feedfest/

            aim/ichat: markus.sandy@...
            msn: msandy@...
            skype: msandy
            spin: markus@...
          • Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
              On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 19:19:29 +0100, Markus Sandy
              <markus@...> wrote:

              > according to Webster, the definition of recitation includes that the
              > information is delivered publicly and *from memory*
              >
              > so those podcasters had better not be reading attributions from a script
              > or they are violating these agreements!

              Sadly Websters don't hold up in court. You'll need the legal definition
              for recitation.

              - Andreas
              --
              <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
            • Markus Sandy
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
                IANAL, but I don't think that is a incorrect statement.

                Websters may or may not hold up in court.

                I think it depends on many factors.

                The example we are discussing is a statement in a potentially "legally binding" document

                Which means that if it does not spell out it's definitions precisely, then it is open to "legal interpretation" and "argument"

                In which case, it may be that "common usage" will apply and Webster may very well be the "evidence" offered up in court.

                <markus@...> wrote:

                according to Webster, the definition of recitation includes that the
                information is delivered publicly and *from memory*

                so those podcasters had better not be reading attributions from a script
                or they are violating these agreements!

                Sadly Websters don't hold up in court. You'll need the legal definition
                for recitation.

                - Andreas

                http://apperceptions.org
                http://digitaldojo.blogspot.com
                http://spinflow.org
                http://wearethemedia.com
                http://www.corante.com/events/feedfest/

                aim/ichat: markus.sandy@...
                msn: msandy@...
                skype: msandy
                spin: markus@...

              • Corey Denis
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
                  Hi,

                  I realize this is an interesting way to make my first post, but....hi
                  there...and....

                  I'm wondering if anyone here knows about IODA and Promonet? Pretty sure
                  I gave at least few of you some shirts at the expo...

                  have a look -

                  http://promonet.iodalliance.com

                  Download pre-cleared legal music for your podcast, blog, or web site -
                  from over 1200 indie labels

                  best,
                  Corey

                  Corey Denis
                  IODA
                  http://IODAlliance.com
                  Corey@...

                  On Dec 1, 2005, at 11:58 AM, Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen wrote:

                  > On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 19:19:29 +0100, Markus Sandy
                  > <markus@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> according to Webster, the definition of recitation includes that the
                  >> information is delivered publicly and *from memory*
                  >>
                  >> so those podcasters had better not be reading attributions from a
                  >> script
                  >> or they are violating these agreements!
                  >
                  > Sadly Websters don't hold up in court. You'll need the legal definition
                  > for recitation.
                  >
                  > - Andreas
                  > --
                  > <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>

                • Joan Khoo
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
                    At the moment, I find my music at podsafe and magnatunes. Both are good resources.
                    Joan
                    http://rantingsofjoan.blogspot.com

                    On 12/2/05, Brad Webb <brad@...> wrote:
                    I've found Magnatune to be really useful, they have some solid classical
                    pieces, as well as some rock/alt/etc that works in really well, and they
                    have a vlog/podcast attribution-only "license." They're usually my 1st
                    stop when I'm sitting down to edit.

                    --
                    Brad Webb, Director of Social Media Technology

                    http://vslabs.vsocial.com/
                    vSocial | Custom One Media, LLC
                    51 W. Third Street, #301
                    Tempe, AZ 85281
                    (602) 885-2295 - Mobile
                    (480) 967-9575 - Fax

                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/WpTY2A/izNLAA/yQLSAA/lBLqlB/TM

                         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Markus Sandy
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
                      i'm particularly fond of whistling poets myself ;)

                      got a smoke?

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 2, 2008
                        Elise Nordling responded about Promonet.
                        Her message is below since she's not a member of this list.

                        Jay
                        _________________________

                        On Feb 1, 2008 8:37 PM, misselisewhite <misselisewhite@...> wrote:
                        > Sorry for any confusion, but IODA Promonet music is NOT cleared for
                        > video use of any kind.
                        >
                        > Music use in any type of video, including slide shows, requires
                        > synchronization licensing.
                        >
                        > I believe the only website that provides free, legal music for
                        > non-commercial video use at this time is Creative Commons. There are
                        > other instances, as well, such as Moby's personal website (that has a
                        > section of music he composed and has offered up for non-commercial
                        > video use).
                        >
                        > Creative Commons has a great, although rather long, article regarding
                        > copyright and licensing that should help clear up any questions
                        > regarding the legality of music use:
                        >
                        > http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Podcasting_Legal_Guide
                        >
                        > Feel free to email me if you have any questions,
                        >
                        > Elise Nordling
                        > Marketing Services Manager,
                        > IODA Promonet
                        > elise@...
                      • Jan McLaughlin
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 2, 2008
                          Ah.

                          That sux.

                          Jan

                          On Feb 2, 2008 4:57 AM, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:

                          > Elise Nordling responded about Promonet.
                          > Her message is below since she's not a member of this list.
                          >
                          > Jay
                          > _________________________
                          >
                          > On Feb 1, 2008 8:37 PM, misselisewhite <misselisewhite@...> wrote:
                          > > Sorry for any confusion, but IODA Promonet music is NOT cleared for
                          > > video use of any kind.
                          > >
                          > > Music use in any type of video, including slide shows, requires
                          > > synchronization licensing.
                          > >
                          > > I believe the only website that provides free, legal music for
                          > > non-commercial video use at this time is Creative Commons. There are
                          > > other instances, as well, such as Moby's personal website (that has a
                          > > section of music he composed and has offered up for non-commercial
                          > > video use).
                          > >
                          > > Creative Commons has a great, although rather long, article regarding
                          > > copyright and licensing that should help clear up any questions
                          > > regarding the legality of music use:
                          > >
                          > > http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Podcasting_Legal_Guide
                          > >
                          > > Feel free to email me if you have any questions,
                          > >
                          > > Elise Nordling
                          > > Marketing Services Manager,
                          > > IODA Promonet
                          > > elise@...