Re: [videoblogging] Re: VlogSafe Music

  • joel
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
      great suggestions!  thanks!

      --
      joel
      http://joelart.blogspot.com
    • Jan McLaughlin
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
        To take the concept one step further, use your camera / mp3 recorder to
        record musicians you know personally and use their music for
        soundtracks.

        I'm tired of consuming things (including food) made by people I don't
        know or care about.

        Jan

        --
        "It isn't done alone. Pay more."
        .

        On Dec 1, 2005, at 4:27 AM, Enric wrote:

        > I followed an entry at http://www.darknet.com/ called 'Just use
        > podsafe music' to the article on the Portable Media Network:
        >
        > http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/blogs/vogele/archives/003576.shtml
        >
        > From there I googled "PodSafe Music" to PodcastNYC.net:
        >
        > http://www.podcastnyc.net/psm/podcast.html
        >
        > I was quite impressed with the music. The classical piano from the
        > Bulgarian musician, Grigor, is beautiful:
        >
        > http://libsyn.com/media/podcastnyc/GrigorIliev-WinterStory.mp3
        >
        > And other pieces were quite good. The terms of usage are basicaly
        > inform and attribute:
        >
        > http://www.podcastnyc.net/terms.htm
        >
        > I think we should support other artists creating shared media in our
        > shared media, rather than inserting well known copyrighted material.
        >
        > What other site do people recommend where artists offer music and
        > other media for sharing?
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Pete Prodoehl
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
          Steve Garfield wrote:
          > I've been using music from the Podsafe Music Network,
          > http://podsafemusicnetwork.com which ends up at
          > http://music.podshow.com
          >
          > Let me tell you why this is such a great resource for vloggers.

          I'm not a big fan of their license though:

          http://music.podshow.com/music/producerTerms.htm

          "Attribution" means recitation of the name of the author of a Work
          and the Work's title within a reasonable time after the work is
          Broadcasted, as well as the source of origin of the Work which shall be
          defined by PodShow within your Producer account, generally at a minimum
          attribution will include necessitation of the name of author Work, title
          of Work and source of origin of Work which is PodShow.com.

          "Broadcast" means Work or an acceptable Derivative Work thereof that
          is played publicly for the benefit of interested listeners, and
          particularly when such Work is played by a listener accessing a digital
          file such as a podcast or streaming media file.

          It's geared more specifically towards podcasting, and I don't want to
          give attribution by 'reciting' things in my videos.

          I prefer strictly CC licensed stuff. I think Magnatune did a great job
          with their license:

          https://magnatune.com/artists/license/podcast

          Pete

          --
          http://tinkernet.org/
          videoblog for the future...
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
            Eric Rice wrote:
            > Opsound.org is one of my favorite sources. Much of it also can be used for commercial
            > purposes, too. And of course, lots of helpful people at musicpodcasting.org
            >
            > Also, I operate that podsafe = vlogsafe, with the caveat that taking music and putting it to
            > video falls under the category of 'derivitive work'...
            >
            > So Vlogsafe/Podsafe/Blogsafe (smirk) = something lacking the no-deriv Creative Commons
            > tag for starters.

            podsafe = vlogsafe except for things like when attribution must be given
            by 'speaking' the name of the artist, song, etc.

            I brought the issue up with Magnatune, and they tweaked things to work
            for videoblogs as well as podcasts:

            http://rasterweb.net/raster/2005/11/16/magnatune-and-videoblogs/

            If you see any organization that provides music (or whatever) that
            doesn't take video into consideration, it might be worth getting in
            touch with them and requesting what you want.

            In the Magnatune case, I think this is perfect:

            Video blogs can put a credit at the end of their video of the form
            "The song 'song name' by 'artist name' used by permission from
            www.magnatune.com"

            Pete

            --
            http://tinkernet.org/
            videoblog for the future...
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
              interesting...

              according to Webster, the definition of recitation includes that the
              information is delivered publicly and *from memory*

              so those podcasters had better not be reading attributions from a script
              or they are violating these agreements!

              ;)

              Pete Prodoehl wrote:

              > "Attribution" means recitation of the name of the author of a Work
              >and the Work's title within a reasonable time after the work is
              >Broadcasted, as well as the source of origin of the Work which shall be
              >defined by PodShow within your Producer account, generally at a minimum
              >attribution will include necessitation of the name of author Work, title
              >of Work and source of origin of Work which is PodShow.com.

              http://apperceptions.org
              http://digitaldojo.blogspot.com
              http://spinflow.org
              http://wearethemedia.com
              http://www.corante.com/events/feedfest/

              aim/ichat: markus.sandy@...
              msn: msandy@...
              skype: msandy
              spin: markus@...
            • Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
                On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 19:19:29 +0100, Markus Sandy
                <markus@...> wrote:

                > according to Webster, the definition of recitation includes that the
                > information is delivered publicly and *from memory*
                >
                > so those podcasters had better not be reading attributions from a script
                > or they are violating these agreements!

                Sadly Websters don't hold up in court. You'll need the legal definition
                for recitation.

                - Andreas
                --
                <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
              • Markus Sandy
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
                  IANAL, but I don't think that is a incorrect statement.

                  Websters may or may not hold up in court.

                  I think it depends on many factors.

                  The example we are discussing is a statement in a potentially "legally binding" document

                  Which means that if it does not spell out it's definitions precisely, then it is open to "legal interpretation" and "argument"

                  In which case, it may be that "common usage" will apply and Webster may very well be the "evidence" offered up in court.

                  <markus@...> wrote:

                  according to Webster, the definition of recitation includes that the
                  information is delivered publicly and *from memory*

                  so those podcasters had better not be reading attributions from a script
                  or they are violating these agreements!

                  Sadly Websters don't hold up in court. You'll need the legal definition
                  for recitation.

                  - Andreas

                  http://apperceptions.org
                  http://digitaldojo.blogspot.com
                  http://spinflow.org
                  http://wearethemedia.com
                  http://www.corante.com/events/feedfest/

                  aim/ichat: markus.sandy@...
                  msn: msandy@...
                  skype: msandy
                  spin: markus@...

                • Corey Denis
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
                    Hi,

                    I realize this is an interesting way to make my first post, but....hi
                    there...and....

                    I'm wondering if anyone here knows about IODA and Promonet? Pretty sure
                    I gave at least few of you some shirts at the expo...

                    have a look -

                    http://promonet.iodalliance.com

                    Download pre-cleared legal music for your podcast, blog, or web site -
                    from over 1200 indie labels

                    best,
                    Corey

                    Corey Denis
                    IODA
                    http://IODAlliance.com
                    Corey@...

                    On Dec 1, 2005, at 11:58 AM, Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen wrote:

                    > On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 19:19:29 +0100, Markus Sandy
                    > <markus@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> according to Webster, the definition of recitation includes that the
                    >> information is delivered publicly and *from memory*
                    >>
                    >> so those podcasters had better not be reading attributions from a
                    >> script
                    >> or they are violating these agreements!
                    >
                    > Sadly Websters don't hold up in court. You'll need the legal definition
                    > for recitation.
                    >
                    > - Andreas
                    > --
                    > <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>

                  • Joan Khoo
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
                      At the moment, I find my music at podsafe and magnatunes. Both are good resources.
                      Joan
                      http://rantingsofjoan.blogspot.com

                      On 12/2/05, Brad Webb <brad@...> wrote:
                      I've found Magnatune to be really useful, they have some solid classical
                      pieces, as well as some rock/alt/etc that works in really well, and they
                      have a vlog/podcast attribution-only "license." They're usually my 1st
                      stop when I'm sitting down to edit.

                      --
                      Brad Webb, Director of Social Media Technology

                      http://vslabs.vsocial.com/
                      vSocial | Custom One Media, LLC
                      51 W. Third Street, #301
                      Tempe, AZ 85281
                      (602) 885-2295 - Mobile
                      (480) 967-9575 - Fax

                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/WpTY2A/izNLAA/yQLSAA/lBLqlB/TM

                           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • Markus Sandy
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
                        i'm particularly fond of whistling poets myself ;)

                        got a smoke?

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 2, 2008
                          Elise Nordling responded about Promonet.
                          Her message is below since she's not a member of this list.

                          Jay
                          _________________________

                          On Feb 1, 2008 8:37 PM, misselisewhite <misselisewhite@...> wrote:
                          > Sorry for any confusion, but IODA Promonet music is NOT cleared for
                          > video use of any kind.
                          >
                          > Music use in any type of video, including slide shows, requires
                          > synchronization licensing.
                          >
                          > I believe the only website that provides free, legal music for
                          > non-commercial video use at this time is Creative Commons. There are
                          > other instances, as well, such as Moby's personal website (that has a
                          > section of music he composed and has offered up for non-commercial
                          > video use).
                          >
                          > Creative Commons has a great, although rather long, article regarding
                          > copyright and licensing that should help clear up any questions
                          > regarding the legality of music use:
                          >
                          > http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Podcasting_Legal_Guide
                          >
                          > Feel free to email me if you have any questions,
                          >
                          > Elise Nordling
                          > Marketing Services Manager,
                          > IODA Promonet
                          > elise@...
                        • Jan McLaughlin
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 2, 2008
                            Ah.

                            That sux.

                            Jan

                            On Feb 2, 2008 4:57 AM, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:

                            > Elise Nordling responded about Promonet.
                            > Her message is below since she's not a member of this list.
                            >
                            > Jay
                            > _________________________
                            >
                            > On Feb 1, 2008 8:37 PM, misselisewhite <misselisewhite@...> wrote:
                            > > Sorry for any confusion, but IODA Promonet music is NOT cleared for
                            > > video use of any kind.
                            > >
                            > > Music use in any type of video, including slide shows, requires
                            > > synchronization licensing.
                            > >
                            > > I believe the only website that provides free, legal music for
                            > > non-commercial video use at this time is Creative Commons. There are
                            > > other instances, as well, such as Moby's personal website (that has a
                            > > section of music he composed and has offered up for non-commercial
                            > > video use).
                            > >
                            > > Creative Commons has a great, although rather long, article regarding
                            > > copyright and licensing that should help clear up any questions
                            > > regarding the legality of music use:
                            > >
                            > > http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Podcasting_Legal_Guide
                            > >
                            > > Feel free to email me if you have any questions,
                            > >
                            > > Elise Nordling
                            > > Marketing Services Manager,
                            > > IODA Promonet
                            > > elise@...