Re: [videoblogging] VlogSafe Music

  • Steve Garfield
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
      I've been using music from the Podsafe Music Network,
      http://podsafemusicnetwork.com which ends up at
      http://music.podshow.com

      Let me tell you why this is such a great resource for vloggers.

      You can browse the whole collection by theme and find something that
      matches your video.

      Once you choose a song and use it, you give credit to the artist and
      the Podsafe Music Network in the credits and on your blog.

      You then report that usage on the website.

      This automatically sends an email to the artist so that they are
      notified that you used their song AND it gets listed to keep track of
      recent and most popular songs/artists.

      I've gotten great feedback from the artists.

      Some have told me about emails from friends that have heard their music
      on my videos while others have sent me CD's as thanks.

      It's a unique way of building a community between vloggers/podcasters
      and musical artists.

      I love it.

      Here is a list of recent music I've used from The Podsafe Music Network.

      <http://tinyurl.com/88bdd>

      or

      <http://music.podshow.com/music/listeners/podshow_details.php
      ?ShowHash=eef4fede369ac8487b7671a16e9d75ca>

      On Dec 1, 2005, at 4:27 AM, Enric wrote:

      > What other site do people recommend where artists offer music and
      > other media for sharing?

      --Steve
      --
      Home Page - http://stevegarfield.com
      Video Blog - http://stevegarfield.blogs.com

      Like Paul Revere, leading the citizen's media revolution.
    • Brad Webb
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
        I've found Magnatune to be really useful, they have some solid classical
        pieces, as well as some rock/alt/etc that works in really well, and they
        have a vlog/podcast attribution-only "license." They're usually my 1st
        stop when I'm sitting down to edit.

        --
        Brad Webb, Director of Social Media Technology

        http://vslabs.vsocial.com/
        vSocial | Custom One Media, LLC
        51 W. Third Street, #301
        Tempe, AZ 85281
        (602) 885-2295 - Mobile
        (480) 967-9575 - Fax
      • joel
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
          great suggestions!  thanks!

          --
          joel
          http://joelart.blogspot.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
            To take the concept one step further, use your camera / mp3 recorder to
            record musicians you know personally and use their music for
            soundtracks.

            I'm tired of consuming things (including food) made by people I don't
            know or care about.

            Jan

            --
            "It isn't done alone. Pay more."
            .

            On Dec 1, 2005, at 4:27 AM, Enric wrote:

            > I followed an entry at http://www.darknet.com/ called 'Just use
            > podsafe music' to the article on the Portable Media Network:
            >
            > http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/blogs/vogele/archives/003576.shtml
            >
            > From there I googled "PodSafe Music" to PodcastNYC.net:
            >
            > http://www.podcastnyc.net/psm/podcast.html
            >
            > I was quite impressed with the music. The classical piano from the
            > Bulgarian musician, Grigor, is beautiful:
            >
            > http://libsyn.com/media/podcastnyc/GrigorIliev-WinterStory.mp3
            >
            > And other pieces were quite good. The terms of usage are basicaly
            > inform and attribute:
            >
            > http://www.podcastnyc.net/terms.htm
            >
            > I think we should support other artists creating shared media in our
            > shared media, rather than inserting well known copyrighted material.
            >
            > What other site do people recommend where artists offer music and
            > other media for sharing?
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Pete Prodoehl
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
              Steve Garfield wrote:
              > I've been using music from the Podsafe Music Network,
              > http://podsafemusicnetwork.com which ends up at
              > http://music.podshow.com
              >
              > Let me tell you why this is such a great resource for vloggers.

              I'm not a big fan of their license though:

              http://music.podshow.com/music/producerTerms.htm

              "Attribution" means recitation of the name of the author of a Work
              and the Work's title within a reasonable time after the work is
              Broadcasted, as well as the source of origin of the Work which shall be
              defined by PodShow within your Producer account, generally at a minimum
              attribution will include necessitation of the name of author Work, title
              of Work and source of origin of Work which is PodShow.com.

              "Broadcast" means Work or an acceptable Derivative Work thereof that
              is played publicly for the benefit of interested listeners, and
              particularly when such Work is played by a listener accessing a digital
              file such as a podcast or streaming media file.

              It's geared more specifically towards podcasting, and I don't want to
              give attribution by 'reciting' things in my videos.

              I prefer strictly CC licensed stuff. I think Magnatune did a great job
              with their license:

              https://magnatune.com/artists/license/podcast

              Pete

              --
              http://tinkernet.org/
              videoblog for the future...
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
                Eric Rice wrote:
                > Opsound.org is one of my favorite sources. Much of it also can be used for commercial
                > purposes, too. And of course, lots of helpful people at musicpodcasting.org
                >
                > Also, I operate that podsafe = vlogsafe, with the caveat that taking music and putting it to
                > video falls under the category of 'derivitive work'...
                >
                > So Vlogsafe/Podsafe/Blogsafe (smirk) = something lacking the no-deriv Creative Commons
                > tag for starters.

                podsafe = vlogsafe except for things like when attribution must be given
                by 'speaking' the name of the artist, song, etc.

                I brought the issue up with Magnatune, and they tweaked things to work
                for videoblogs as well as podcasts:

                http://rasterweb.net/raster/2005/11/16/magnatune-and-videoblogs/

                If you see any organization that provides music (or whatever) that
                doesn't take video into consideration, it might be worth getting in
                touch with them and requesting what you want.

                In the Magnatune case, I think this is perfect:

                Video blogs can put a credit at the end of their video of the form
                "The song 'song name' by 'artist name' used by permission from
                www.magnatune.com"

                Pete

                --
                http://tinkernet.org/
                videoblog for the future...
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
                  interesting...

                  according to Webster, the definition of recitation includes that the
                  information is delivered publicly and *from memory*

                  so those podcasters had better not be reading attributions from a script
                  or they are violating these agreements!

                  ;)

                  Pete Prodoehl wrote:

                  > "Attribution" means recitation of the name of the author of a Work
                  >and the Work's title within a reasonable time after the work is
                  >Broadcasted, as well as the source of origin of the Work which shall be
                  >defined by PodShow within your Producer account, generally at a minimum
                  >attribution will include necessitation of the name of author Work, title
                  >of Work and source of origin of Work which is PodShow.com.

                  http://apperceptions.org
                  http://digitaldojo.blogspot.com
                  http://spinflow.org
                  http://wearethemedia.com
                  http://www.corante.com/events/feedfest/

                  aim/ichat: markus.sandy@...
                  msn: msandy@...
                  skype: msandy
                  spin: markus@...
                • Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
                    On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 19:19:29 +0100, Markus Sandy
                    <markus@...> wrote:

                    > according to Webster, the definition of recitation includes that the
                    > information is delivered publicly and *from memory*
                    >
                    > so those podcasters had better not be reading attributions from a script
                    > or they are violating these agreements!

                    Sadly Websters don't hold up in court. You'll need the legal definition
                    for recitation.

                    - Andreas
                    --
                    <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
                  • Markus Sandy
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
                      IANAL, but I don't think that is a incorrect statement.

                      Websters may or may not hold up in court.

                      I think it depends on many factors.

                      The example we are discussing is a statement in a potentially "legally binding" document

                      Which means that if it does not spell out it's definitions precisely, then it is open to "legal interpretation" and "argument"

                      In which case, it may be that "common usage" will apply and Webster may very well be the "evidence" offered up in court.

                      <markus@...> wrote:

                      according to Webster, the definition of recitation includes that the
                      information is delivered publicly and *from memory*

                      so those podcasters had better not be reading attributions from a script
                      or they are violating these agreements!

                      Sadly Websters don't hold up in court. You'll need the legal definition
                      for recitation.

                      - Andreas

                      http://apperceptions.org
                      http://digitaldojo.blogspot.com
                      http://spinflow.org
                      http://wearethemedia.com
                      http://www.corante.com/events/feedfest/

                      aim/ichat: markus.sandy@...
                      msn: msandy@...
                      skype: msandy
                      spin: markus@...

                    • Corey Denis
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
                        Hi,

                        I realize this is an interesting way to make my first post, but....hi
                        there...and....

                        I'm wondering if anyone here knows about IODA and Promonet? Pretty sure
                        I gave at least few of you some shirts at the expo...

                        have a look -

                        http://promonet.iodalliance.com

                        Download pre-cleared legal music for your podcast, blog, or web site -
                        from over 1200 indie labels

                        best,
                        Corey

                        Corey Denis
                        IODA
                        http://IODAlliance.com
                        Corey@...

                        On Dec 1, 2005, at 11:58 AM, Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen wrote:

                        > On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 19:19:29 +0100, Markus Sandy
                        > <markus@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> according to Webster, the definition of recitation includes that the
                        >> information is delivered publicly and *from memory*
                        >>
                        >> so those podcasters had better not be reading attributions from a
                        >> script
                        >> or they are violating these agreements!
                        >
                        > Sadly Websters don't hold up in court. You'll need the legal definition
                        > for recitation.
                        >
                        > - Andreas
                        > --
                        > <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>

                      • Joan Khoo
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
                          At the moment, I find my music at podsafe and magnatunes. Both are good resources.
                          Joan
                          http://rantingsofjoan.blogspot.com

                          --
                          Brad Webb, Director of Social Media Technology

                          http://vslabs.vsocial.com/
                          vSocial | Custom One Media, LLC
                          51 W. Third Street, #301
                          Tempe, AZ 85281
                          (602) 885-2295 - Mobile
                          (480) 967-9575 - Fax

                          http://us.click.yahoo.com/WpTY2A/izNLAA/yQLSAA/lBLqlB/TM

                               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • Markus Sandy
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 1, 2005
                            i'm particularly fond of whistling poets myself ;)

                            got a smoke?

                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 2, 2008
                              Elise Nordling responded about Promonet.
                              Her message is below since she's not a member of this list.

                              Jay
                              _________________________

                              On Feb 1, 2008 8:37 PM, misselisewhite <misselisewhite@...> wrote:
                              > Sorry for any confusion, but IODA Promonet music is NOT cleared for
                              > video use of any kind.
                              >
                              > Music use in any type of video, including slide shows, requires
                              > synchronization licensing.
                              >
                              > I believe the only website that provides free, legal music for
                              > non-commercial video use at this time is Creative Commons. There are
                              > other instances, as well, such as Moby's personal website (that has a
                              > section of music he composed and has offered up for non-commercial
                              > video use).
                              >
                              > Creative Commons has a great, although rather long, article regarding
                              > copyright and licensing that should help clear up any questions
                              > regarding the legality of music use:
                              >
                              > http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Podcasting_Legal_Guide
                              >
                              > Feel free to email me if you have any questions,
                              >
                              > Elise Nordling
                              > Marketing Services Manager,
                              > IODA Promonet
                              > elise@...
                            • Jan McLaughlin
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 2, 2008
                                Ah.

                                That sux.

                                Jan

                                On Feb 2, 2008 4:57 AM, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:

                                > Elise Nordling responded about Promonet.
                                > Her message is below since she's not a member of this list.
                                >
                                > Jay
                                > _________________________
                                >
                                > On Feb 1, 2008 8:37 PM, misselisewhite <misselisewhite@...> wrote:
                                > > Sorry for any confusion, but IODA Promonet music is NOT cleared for
                                > > video use of any kind.
                                > >
                                > > Music use in any type of video, including slide shows, requires
                                > > synchronization licensing.
                                > >
                                > > I believe the only website that provides free, legal music for
                                > > non-commercial video use at this time is Creative Commons. There are
                                > > other instances, as well, such as Moby's personal website (that has a
                                > > section of music he composed and has offered up for non-commercial
                                > > video use).
                                > >
                                > > Creative Commons has a great, although rather long, article regarding
                                > > copyright and licensing that should help clear up any questions
                                > > regarding the legality of music use:
                                > >
                                > > http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Podcasting_Legal_Guide
                                > >
                                > > Feel free to email me if you have any questions,
                                > >
                                > > Elise Nordling
                                > > Marketing Services Manager,
                                > > IODA Promonet
                                > > elise@...