Re: [videoblogging] some thoughts

  • Adrian Miles
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 15, 2004
      On 15/06/2004, at 8:49 PM, Eli Chapman wrote:

      > The problem I have with videoblogging (a problem I'm intent on
      > solving) is that it is not a natural extension of what I do with a
      > camera and computer. Text-based blogging is. I browse the web, I read
      > blogs, I link, I comment, I post. We were all doing it before
      > blogging existed, whether for ourselves, or on message boards, in
      > email, or in word docs. For videoblogging to be this natural, all the
      > video sources I consume and produce daily need to be available
      > tv, dvds, and tapes. Then, when 1000s of videobloggers are doing the
      > same, the network of reference and usage and personality will emerge.

      absolutely :-)

      i have a very old piece of work which is actually a sketch in photoshop
      that I turned into a QT movie, when you mouse into it it loads jpegs
      from a Norwegian newspaper's webcams. This is very straightforward to
      do in something like LiveStage, but it would also be relatively easy to
      make a movie that would let someone enter urls and the movie would
      display these urls. in fact I've got a MA student now who is doing
      something like this (he's not quite there yet but check out
      http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/~dpwolf) and is certainly about to start

      AS Eli notes, there is a lot that can or could be done. One of the
      interesting short term things would be, for example, to get David to
      make a simple scriptable movie where anyone could enter the
      other words make a 'sketch' tool that demonstrates an idea, let people
      use it and play with it, etc.

      I'd like to do this too, with a movie that loads two child movies and
      scripts the playback speed of each of the two child movies. I'll build
      this shortly (won't be for a couple of weeks, OS conference next week)
      but will let you all know when its available, what it does and how to
      use it.

      cheers
      Adrian Miles
      hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
      interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
      research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/
    • Jay Dedman
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 15, 2004
        The videoblogging wiki is http://www.me-tv.org
        we're trying to document all the ideas we're having.
        feel free to join in.

        --
        Jay Dedman
        Manhattan Neighborhood Network