Re: [videoblogging] BloggerVision

  • Adrian Miles
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
      On 16/06/2004, at 10:07 AM, Jay Dedman wrote:

      > looks like they'd developing the kind of video interface that Peter
      > dreamed up.
      > http://www.audiovisceral.net/facts/this.html

      also check out
      http://weblogs.media.mit.edu/mupes/

      to see the nokia project they're working on.

      cheers
      Adrian Miles
      hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
      interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
      research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/
    • Jay Dedman
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
        isn't this what Bit Torrent is supposed to do?
        it seems too clunky to me.

        so today we've narrowed down the problems:
        --we need a simple interface that edits, optimizes, and posts video to a blog.
        --we need to solve the problem of storage so i can keep my archived video for
        years to come and have a permanent video presence on the web.
        --we need to solve the problem of bandwidth so I wont go broke if a bunch of
        people decide to follow my Moments day to day.

        The next thing is developing a langauge of videoblogging.

        --
        Jay Dedman
        Manhattan Neighborhood Network
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
          On 16/06/2004, at 11:36 AM, Jay Dedman wrote:

          > --we need to solve the problem of bandwidth so I wont go broke if a
          > bunch of
          > people decide to follow my Moments day to day.

          as is so often the case Ted Nelson's original ideas would have been
          handy here. He envisaged a system of micropayments for IP so that if
          you view my work i earn n cents. if i view your work you earn n cents.
          if i quote your work same deal.

          at the moment ISPs pay for bandwidth and data flow, then charge this
          down the line to end users. so the business model is basically
          wholesale v. retail, but Nelson's model is essentially P2P, and of
          course means if your content is popular you earn more, rather than pay
          more (the irony online remaining that if your content is popular it
          costs you, which is generally the reverse of other economic systems).

          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
            On 15/06/2004, at 5:09 PM, Yaron Samid wrote:

            > Quality of service, namely picture quality (resolution and screen
            > size) is important to mainstream viewer adoption. Its been proven
            > time and again in the media world. Cable TV killed that antenna on
            > top of your old TV set because of picture quality, not because of
            > the 100 channels you never watch. You'll be switching to and paying
            > extra for HDTV soon to. That being said, I've always felt the
            > plumbing is only worth the shit it delivers. Picture quality or not,
            > you're 100% correct, content is THE main driver of viewership and
            > always will be.

            I'm too far out of trad. media studies these days to know how accurate
            this is :-) But i'll still keep the hat on and suggest it is only half
            true. In Aust. cable uptake has been low, and in Britain it (I think)
            was kick started by Murdoch buying football rights and sticking it on
            the satellite. Here digital TV is being kicked off by home DVD +
            theatre, not to get the digital signal. People are buying bigger tvs
            with better sound systems so the extra few dollars for the decoder is
            no big deal, but it is still secondary.

            now, on top of that, keep in mind in the US you have NTSC and we have
            PAL (as does Europe) which does look better, so the technical demand or
            gap is lessened. Also I'd suggest it is not just quality of image but
            content. Here things like the Soprano's, Sex in the City, Six Feet
            Under, etc are all free to air but they are all cable in the States.
            Now, not only is this content that US free to air can't match, but it
            is also clear that cable has caused a renaissance in US television
            production. This is because of the creative freedom that cable
            produces, not because the picture is so much better :-)

            I'm not disagreeing, just suggesting it is not just a question of
            supply and demand where supply = better quality images and sound.

            > I would think picture quality is relevant for video bloggers as
            > well, whether they shoot a 15 second "life moment" or 5 minute short
            > movie -- you put in the time to produce the content, isn't it a
            > shame to have it seen in a choppy 200X100 window? Before you answer
            > that, let me just say that it is entirely up to you. Our goal is not
            > to enforce any production value standards on video bloggers, just to
            > facilitate the publishing and distribution of their video files,
            > regardless of its size. The key value to video bloggers is that its
            > an free and easy way to publish video online. If they still want to
            > create small, low-res files, that's completely up to them. Low
            > quality encoding standards are actually imposed on people by the
            > bandwith/costs limitations of streaming. Sticking to that standard
            > with our technology would be like driving a porsche in 1st gear, but
            > to each his own. This is really not about picture quality for the
            > publishers but I'm glad you brought it up.

            again 50% there. If I want to accept what are basically Hollywood
            production values translated to the web then sure, but what if I want
            to be Jean Luc Goddard on the web? Or any other new wave director?
            What's the web equivalent there? Perhaps it is 320 x 240, stuttering,
            shuddering video. But of course, the model ought to support all needs.

            I do argue strongly for the idea that networked video is about desktop
            screens. it isn't tv or cinema and misjudges the desktop if it tries to
            be this. why? well the screen is domestic and personal. it is usually
            viewed by one person, me. right now i have 12 programs running and I'll
            flip from writing mail to my news browser to my web browser as I need
            or whim dictates. So the model of content in this environment is the
            blog chunk. That isn't just 20" bits of video but it is also 20" bits
            of video that play nicely on my desktop with everything else that I'm
            doing. For example, right now the best 'vogs' are high quality 30
            second commercials that companies make available online. my personal
            favourites have been the US Volkswagen ads. They're 30seconds long,
            download in easily, play politely, have good production values and good
            narratives. They don't want to be movies, they don't want or need to
            own my desktop. Would I like much better quality sound and vision? sure
            :-) Will it ever be enough? No.

            > How important do you think it is for video bloggers to have thier
            > clips seen by many people? Is it a small community thing or are we
            > striving for mainstream viewership?

            oh, tricky one. If you're using the blog model then it is more about a
            community of reader/viewers which could be 10's, 100's, 1000's or
            10,000's. if you want a lot of viewers then it is easy to get them, but
            if you want quality readers then it is a case of making decent work and
            letting the audience accrue. what many in .com misunderstand is that
            for things like blogs and vogs the start up costs basically approach 0.
            That means there is no implicit need to garner an audience to recoup
            the start up and running costs. So if you make decent content, leave it
            there, add to it, your audience builds over time.

            in terms of vogs the trickiest part is to develop the same architecture
            that blogs have. permalinks that point to video objects not html
            objects, a way of linking to those, and the like. This is what will
            significantly help videoblogs as a specific practice, the other
            conversation is to treat video on the web as only a question about
            delivery. it isn't. it is also about making, writing, publishing, then
            viewing and linking.

            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
              Adrian,
              I got in touch with the guy, Kow Atta-Mensah, who helped the MIT woman build a
              pseudo-videoblogging tool.
              http://www.audiovisceral.net/facts/this.html
              He said they built it a couple years ago.
              The only thing they didnt do was give it an FTP function.

              He said we could possibly get the code for it.
              would anyone be interested in figuring it out if we could get the code?

              "im sad to tell you that i haven't made an update to that software in
              almost a couple of years. it was an undergraduate research project i
              was helping with back at MIT. i recently graduated and left the
              institute. i am not sure, but aisling might have had someone take over
              my role. you can reach her at aisling@.... just tell her i
              pointed you to her. sadly, i dont even have my old source, but if she
              does i believe she would be willing to give it to you. sort of messy,
              but someone java savvy should be able to figure it out. if you have any
              questions, i'd be glad to answer them."

              "i dont believe i ever finished that part(FTP)... but there are lots of open
              source java ftp clients (and servers) available so making the addition
              is pretty simple. the recording capability i built in was fast for the
              time (for java anyways) and im sure newer versions of the quicktime and
              jmf apis have been released which will make an immediate speed
              increase."

              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 16, 2004
                On 16/06/2004, at 3:10 PM, Jay Dedman wrote:

                > I got in touch with the guy, Kow Atta-Mensah, who helped the MIT woman
                > build a
                > pseudo-videoblogging tool.
                > http://www.audiovisceral.net/facts/this.html
                > He said they built it a couple years ago.
                > The only thing they didnt do was give it an FTP function.
                >
                > He said we could possibly get the code for it.
                > would anyone be interested in figuring it out if we could get the code?

                well one possibility is that I try to get Apple University Consortium
                money here in Australia to finish it and release it. Though if it is
                MIT's then I'd assume they own it.
                Other suggestions welcome. I can't program Java but this is certainly I
                project I might be able to get funding for.

                cheers
                Adrian Miles
                hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
                interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
                research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/
              • petertheman
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 16, 2004
                  > Other suggestions welcome. I can't program Java but this is
                  certainly I project I might be able to get funding for.

                  There is a whole bunch of tools needed (videoblogging tools,
                  aggregating tools, ...) for various audiences. And more importantly,
                  standards are needed for those tools (Bittorrent for P2P, RSS
                  enclosures for syndication, ...).

                  Is anyone interested in outlining the various audiences and/or use
                  cases and types of tools/standards we imagine together? We can put
                  them on the me-tv.org wiki. Having good requirements might inspire
                  someone to actually build these things :)

                  As I said before, I started playing around with some requirements for
                  one type of tool on the wiki (it's slow right now, cheap host!).

                  PS: An article in the new scientist mentions videoblogging:

                  http://www.newscientist.com/hottopics/tech/article.jsp?
                  id=99995015&sub=Communications

                  "A pair of sunglasses that can detect when someone is making eye
                  contact with the wearer has been developed by Canadian researchers.
                  Besides being useful in singles bars, its inventors say the system
                  could play a key role in video blogging, a hi-tech form of diary
                  keeping."

                  Jay actually has a pair of funky glasses (they look inconspicous in
                  the Lower East Side in NYC) connected to a video recording device.
                  Jay, wanna try out videoblogging with those?

                  Cheers,
                  Peter
                • Jay Dedman
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 16, 2004
                    We've been talking about devloping a vdieobloggin tool.
                    which would be amazing if we could make happen.
                    But my question is this:
                    how would you use it?

                    I subscribe to all the videoblogs I can find, and most update every two
                    weeks to every two months.
                    definitely not daily.
                    is videoblogging was a more intuitive process would you post video daily?
                    what would it be?

                    i know some people are about short Moments, while others are into edited
                    movies.
                    Id like to hear from some of the people who havent posted yet.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 16, 2004
                      On 17/06/2004, at 4:09 AM, Jay Dedman wrote:

                      > how would you use it?

                      well next year i have 50 students who will all be doing at least one
                      small project around video blogs. so something that lets you:

                      capture, do a quick cut, set in and out points, publish straight into
                      your blog CMS.

                      iMovie does everything except the last bit, but given the things out
                      there for iPhoto to publish to a blog, etc, I'm assuming it would be
                      possible to write a plug in for iMovie that would do this.

                      not sure about the 95% of the world on pcs though.

                      cheers
                      Adrian Miles
                      hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
                      interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
                      research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/
                    • Deirdre Straughan, class of 81
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 19, 2004
                        > --we need to solve the problem of bandwidth so I wont go broke if a
                        bunch of
                        > people decide to follow my Moments day to day.

                        Seems to me there's something wrong with this model. If your blog were
                        that popular, wouldn't it be fair for YOU to get paid for it? After
                        all, someone somewhere along the line is making money from our viewing
                        you - at the very least, our various bandwidth providers. If there
                        wasn't stuff on the web we wanted to see (including you), we wouldn't
                        be paying the providers, and especially we wouldn't be paying them for
                        the high speed needed to view video.

                        best regards,
                        Deirdré Straughan

                        http://www.straughan.com
                      • Adrian Miles
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 22, 2004
                          On 20/07/2004, at 12:05 AM, Deirdre Straughan, class of 81 wrote:

                          > Seems to me there's something wrong with this model. If your blog were
                          > that popular, wouldn't it be fair for YOU to get paid for it? After
                          > all, someone somewhere along the line is making money from our viewing
                          > you - at the very least, our various bandwidth providers. If there
                          > wasn't stuff on the web we wanted to see (including you), we wouldn't
                          > be paying the providers, and especially we wouldn't be paying them for
                          > the high speed needed to view video.

                          Ted Nelson had a vision of this in the 60s which largely consisted of
                          micropayments for *all* content. each time you view my content i earn,
                          let's say .00001 cent per byte. When I view yours, I pay the same. at
                          some point some equity arises but the main point was that valuable
                          (viewed/used) content would be rewarded with increased payment.

                          This was part of Project Xanadu, well before the WWW was a twinkle in
                          Tim's eyes.

                          cheers
                          Adrian Miles
                          hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
                          interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
                          research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/
                        • The Dane
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 23, 2004
                            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Adrian Miles
                            > Ted Nelson had a vision of this in the 60s
                            > which largely consisted of micropayments for
                            > *all* content. each time you view my content
                            > i earn, let's say .00001 cent per byte. When
                            > I view yours, I pay the same. at some point
                            > some equity arises but the main point was
                            > that valuable (viewed/used) content would
                            > be rewarded with increased payment.

                            There are currently companies out there providing micropayment
                            services and I've though of instituting micropayments on some of my
                            own material, but the trick is becoming popular enough to merit
                            people paying for your content. Most of the videoblogs I watch, I
                            watch because the only thing they cost is my time - and I probably
                            wouldn't watch them if I had to pay even a small amount. And I'm an
                            interested party. This is where programming concepts come in (not
                            computer programming, but market programming). It's like it's cool
                            that there are public access channels on television, but nobody
                            would ever pay to see the kind of stuff on public access.

                            So really the trick is, build a market of people who would pay a
                            nickel to watch your videoblogging and then you can charge. If you
                            charge before the market exists, it'll be much more difficult to
                            even get it off the ground.