Re: Initial iPod Compatibility Tests

  • wazman_au
    Message 1 of 31 , Nov 1, 2005
      Hey Mike,

      If you're correct about baseline vs main profile as applied to .mov
      files, it's ridiculous. Why would Apple nobble their own format like
      that?

      Some of choose to use .mov files compressed with H.264 because of
      the potential to add hyperlinks in a .mov file. To lose that
      functionality is a big bummer. AND to find this out after lashing
      out and buying QT7 for Windows is even worse!

      If you would be so kind, please double-check as to whether it's
      true. The latest post at Crash Test Kitchen is a .mov file
      compressed using H.264 and if you're right it won't work on your
      iPod.

      Thanks,
      Waz
      www.crashtestkitchen.com

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Verdi <michael@m...> wrote:

      > I just got a new iPod yesterday and I've been doing some tests
      with
      > it. Here's what I've figured out so far. Please feel free to add
      > this.
      >
      > Videos encoded with 3ivx and Apple's mpeg4, with AAC or mpeg4-
      audio
      > (QT 6) all seem to work following the tutorials that we've posted
      at
      > FreeVlog:
      >
      > The one problem with all of these tutorials is that if you are on
      > Windows you will need the Pro version of QuickTime in order to
      have
      > access to the AAC audio codec required by the iPod.
      >
      > So, if you do have QuickTime Pro 7 for Windows you can also use
      it
      > compress full resolution DV files (AVI format) using the process
      in
      > this tutorial:
      > The difference here being that you won't have to go through Avid
      Free
      > DV (because you've purchased QT Pro) and you'll be using the AAC
      > audio codec and not IMA 4:1 like the tutorial says.
      >
      > H.264
      > So the thing about the "Baseline" profile vs. the "Main" profile
      that
      > Steve Watkins was talking about is correct. The iPod is only
      > compatible with H.264 movies using the "Baseline" profile. The
      > problem is that when you export as a QuickTime movie from FCP,
      > Compressor, QT Pro, iMovie, QT Pro for Windows, etc., you have no
      > ability to select which profile is used. The bad news is
      that "Main"
      > is what is used by default. So, any .mov file compressed using
      H.264
      > is not going to be compatible with the iPod.
      >
      > But all hope is not lost for those of you wishing to use H.264.
      What
      > you will have to do is export to "MPEG-4", select H.264 as your
      > codec, click the "Video Options" button and "restrict profile" to
      > "baseline." Of course you also have to use AAC as the audio
      codec.
      > I've verified that this works on both Mac and PC.
      >
      > Export "Movie to iPod (320 X 240)"
      > I had hoped that this would be an easy to use preset that would
      be
      > great for videobloggers and the iPod but it's not. If you edit
      some
      > DV footage and use this option it will make your compressed video
      320
      > X 213 which looks like crap. What this feature seems intended
      for
      > (and is good at doing) is taking an old quicktime movie
      (compressed
      > with something else like Sorenson) that you've already downloaded
      and
      > make it work on you iPod.
      >
      > That's about it for now.
      > Verdi
      > --
      > Me: http://michaelverdi.com
      > R&D: http://graymattergravy.com
      > Learn to videoblog: http://freevlog.org
      > Learn to videoblog in person: http://node101.org

    • Christopher Ivanyi
      Message 31 of 31 , Nov 28, 2005
        Hey Steve: What you are saying to me is that you simply changed the
        extension from .mov to .mp4 and it worked on the iPod? I'm confused.
        Because I did not do the export to .mp4, selecting the "baseline"
        thing that Michael described. Rather, I made a DVNTSC 640x480 movie
        from the original DV movie. I then exported it Movie to iPod
        (320x240), and simply changed the extension from .m4v to .mov. It
        should have that "main" profile. But since you say it plays on your
        iPod, I'll go ahead and change the extension to .mp4 and upload the
        video to the server again.

        Thanks for you help.