Google TV?

  • Eric Botticelli
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 8, 2004
      Coming soon: Google TV?

      Stefanie Olsen, Special to ZDNet
      November 30, 2004

      Google, Microsoft and Yahoo are quietly developing new search tools for
      digital video, foreshadowing a high-stakes technology arms race in the
      battle for control of consumers' living rooms.

      continued...
      http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/hardware/0,39023759,39168443,00.htm
    • Cassius Bullemhead
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 8, 2004
        From the zdnet.com.au article:

        "Search is the glue that will one day bind these services and help
        consumers navigate the increasing amount of available content, media
        executives say."

        In MovieMaker, you can embed the title, description, rating etc. into
        your movies so it displays in the status bar of MediaPlayer. I have
        a feeling these engines will find a way to index this info, so I'm
        going to start including it (I've included it off-and-on in the
        past). Besides, it's just good videomaking. I especially like to
        include ratings like: I-4 (Video not suitable for internet users over
        the age of four), and DVDA (I won't explain that one here)

        "For Google, Yahoo and even AOL, offering searchable video is an
        extremely attractive new market because it not only keeps them
        relevant to consumers hungry for multimedia, but it helps them appeal
        to brand advertisers, which spend about US$60 billion annually on
        commercials. Major TV advertisers are comfortable with the effects of
        commercials, and they're likely to wake up to Internet opportunities
        once on-demand video is ubiquitous."

        Ryanne, don't be surprised when Dinty Moore rings the bell.

        Adam
      • courtwms777
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 9, 2004
          When I attended the Streaming Media, Inc. conference in Oct. '03 in
          California, one of the presenters was the founder of SingingFish.com -
          at that time the only program assisting search engines in finding
          rich media (audio and video). It has since been bought by Thomson
          Multimedia, a Paris based company.... but if Google (one of the 'big
          three') leaps onto the bandwagon and releases a video finder ...
          their stockholders are going to be happily opening even fatter
          dividend checks. Man, I just *wish* I'd bought some Google stock!

          http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/stories/2000/08/07/daily26.html
          (link to the story about SingingFish.com being sold to Thomson).

          Courtney

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Botticelli"
          <eric9897@y...> wrote:

          > Coming soon: Google TV?
          >
          > Stefanie Olsen, Special to ZDNet
          > November 30, 2004
          >
          > Google, Microsoft and Yahoo are quietly developing new search tools
          for
          > digital video, foreshadowing a high-stakes technology arms race in
          the
          > battle for control of consumers' living rooms.
          >
          > continued...
          > http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/hardware/0,39023759,39168443,00.htm
        • Adrian Miles
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 9, 2004
            On 09/12/2004, at 7:50 AM, Cassius Bullemhead wrote:

            > In MovieMaker, you can embed the title, description, rating etc. into
            > your movies so it displays in the status bar of MediaPlayer. I have
            > a feeling these engines will find a way to index this info, so I'm
            > going to start including it (I've included it off-and-on in the
            > past). Besides, it's just good videomaking. I especially like to
            > include ratings like: I-4 (Video not suitable for internet users over
            > the age of four), and DVDA (I won't explain that one here)

            QT has approx. 12 preset metadata categories and you can then add as
            many additional custom ones as you need.
            MPEG 21 is currently a proposed metadata standard for time based media,
            but more on the model of XML, DTDs and the like.

            The advantage of the latter is that it is a standard and so readable.
            The problem with QT and others is that it is embedded in the data
            itself, so you have to parse different formats and so on. Externalising
            that I suspect would be a useful thing, but this is more Andreas' and
            others expertise.

            cheers
            Adrian Miles

            +++++++++++++++++++++
            http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/
          • Eric Botticelli
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 9, 2004
              > QT has approx. 12 preset metadata categories and you can then add as
              > many additional custom ones as you need.

              Oh wow, metadata is added to the movie file itself? lol, I'm so
              ignorant on this subject.

              So how can I view every little bit of metadata on my video file? is
              there a good way to do that? I want to know what google's going to be
              roboting for... if they do this huge project.
            • Joshua Kinberg
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 9, 2004
                http://www.antnottv.org is now able to accept user registrations. If
                you registered before, you should be able to log in now. Registering
                allows you to post on the forums and gives you access to other
                as-yet-to-be-determined things.

                More to come...
              • Andreas Haugstrup
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 10, 2004
                  On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:41:03 +1100, Adrian Miles
                  <adrian.miles@...> wrote:

                  > The problem with QT and others is that it is embedded in the data
                  > itself, so you have to parse different formats and so on. Externalising
                  > that I suspect would be a useful thing, but this is more Andreas' and
                  > others expertise.

                  I prefer having the metadata embedded directly in the media file because
                  you then have everything in one place instead of having to get one file
                  for content and another for the metadata. The problem I have with QT is
                  that I haven't found a way to automatically extract metadata. I can view
                  it manually just fine in QT, but I want to write a script that can extract
                  and display this information in a website.

                  - Andreas
                  --
                  <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
                • Andreas Haugstrup
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 10, 2004
                    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 02:27:59 -0000, Eric Botticelli <eric9897@...>
                    wrote:

                    > So how can I view every little bit of metadata on my video file? is
                    > there a good way to do that? I want to know what google's going to be
                    > roboting for... if they do this huge project.

                    You can see a little by hitting Ctrl+I, and more by hitting Ctrl+J and
                    choosing "Notes" from the right dropdown menu.

                    - Andreas
                    --
                    <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
                  • Steve Watkins
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 10, 2004
                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Haugstrup"
                      <videoblog@s...> wrote:

                      > I prefer having the metadata embedded directly in the media file
                      because
                      > you then have everything in one place instead of having to get one
                      file
                      > for content and another for the metadata. The problem I have with
                      QT is
                      > that I haven't found a way to automatically extract metadata. I can
                      view
                      > it manually just fine in QT, but I want to write a script that can
                      extract
                      > and display this information in a website.
                      >
                      > - Andreas

                      Maybe http://www.getid3.org/ could hold the answer? Looking at the
                      source code for the file module.audio-video.quicktime.php suggests it
                      may well be able to read the metadata. I havent tried it yet, might
                      need some modification to do what you want, might be enough already.

                      Apple have also mentioned some improvements to quicktime metadata
                      handling with version 6.6 which is supposed to be part of Tiger, but
                      I dont know the details yet.
                    • Andreas Haugstrup
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 10, 2004
                        On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:54:27 -0000, Steve Watkins <steve@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Maybe http://www.getid3.org/ could hold the answer? Looking at the
                        > source code for the file module.audio-video.quicktime.php suggests it
                        > may well be able to read the metadata. I havent tried it yet, might
                        > need some modification to do what you want, might be enough already.

                        That looks incredibly cool. I will try to see what it can do with
                        Quicktime movies as soon as I can. Getid3() working together with blogging
                        software would be very neat.

                        - Andreas
                        --
                        <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
                      • Joshua Kinberg
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 10, 2004
                          I thought getId3() only works with mp3 files. Does it also work with QT movies?
                          -Josh

                          On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 16:10:59 +0100, Andreas Haugstrup
                          <videoblog@...> wrote:

                          > On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:54:27 -0000, Steve Watkins <steve@...>
                          > wrote:
                          >
                          > > Maybe http://www.getid3.org/ could hold the answer? Looking at the
                          > > source code for the file module.audio-video.quicktime.php suggests it
                          > > may well be able to read the metadata. I havent tried it yet, might
                          > > need some modification to do what you want, might be enough already.
                          >
                          > That looks incredibly cool. I will try to see what it can do with
                          > Quicktime movies as soon as I can. Getid3() working together with blogging
                          > software would be very neat.
                          >
                          > - Andreas
                          > --
                          > <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>

                        • Joshua Kinberg
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 10, 2004
                            I stand corrected. Quicktime is listed as a supported format, along
                            with many others, on their sourceforge page:
                            http://getid3.sourceforge.net/

                            Note to Peter at Me-TV: this would be the appropriate meta-data to
                            include in the right frame next to the movie, no?

                            --Josh

                            On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:30:33 -0500, Joshua Kinberg <jkinberg@...> wrote:
                            > I thought getId3() only works with mp3 files. Does it also work with QT movies?
                            > -Josh
                            >

                            > On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 16:10:59 +0100, Andreas Haugstrup
                            > <videoblog@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:54:27 -0000, Steve Watkins <steve@...>
                            > > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > Maybe http://www.getid3.org/ could hold the answer? Looking at the
                            > > > source code for the file module.audio-video.quicktime.php suggests it
                            > > > may well be able to read the metadata. I havent tried it yet, might
                            > > > need some modification to do what you want, might be enough already.
                            > >
                            > > That looks incredibly cool. I will try to see what it can do with
                            > > Quicktime movies as soon as I can. Getid3() working together with blogging
                            > > software would be very neat.
                            > >
                            > > - Andreas
                            > > --
                            > > <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
                            > > Commentary on media, communication, culture and technology.

                          • Andreas Haugstrup
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 10, 2004
                              On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:36:43 -0500, Joshua Kinberg <jkinberg@...>
                              wrote:

                              > Note to Peter at Me-TV: this would be the appropriate meta-data to
                              > include in the right frame next to the movie, no?

                              The script parses the entire file, so it has to download a local copy of
                              all videos to use this script to extract the metadata. Just something to
                              think about. :o)

                              - Andreas
                              --
                              <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
                            • Adrian Miles
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 14, 2004
                                On 10/12/2004, at 7:56 PM, Andreas Haugstrup wrote:

                                > I prefer having the metadata embedded directly in the media file
                                > because
                                > you then have everything in one place instead of having to get one file
                                > for content and another for the metadata. The problem I have with QT is
                                > that I haven't found a way to automatically extract metadata. I can
                                > view
                                > it manually just fine in QT, but I want to write a script that can
                                > extract
                                > and display this information in a website.

                                http://www.apple.com/applescript/quicktime/

                                has droplets that set annotations. presumably reading the applescript
                                migth help?
                                http://developer.apple.com/documentation/QuickTime/
                                FileFormatSpecification-date.html
                                is the specs for the format.
                                http://developer.apple.com/documentation/QuickTime/QuickTime-date.html

                                lists the documentation available. :-)

                                cheers
                                Adrian Miles

                                +++++++++++++++++++++
                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 15, 2004
                                  On 10/12/2004, at 1:27 PM, Eric Botticelli wrote:

                                  >> QT has approx. 12 preset metadata categories and you can then add as
                                  >> many additional custom ones as you need.
                                  >
                                  > Oh wow, metadata is added to the movie file itself? lol, I'm so
                                  > ignorant on this subject.

                                  yes, it is embedded in the media file.

                                  > So how can I view every little bit of metadata on my video file? is
                                  > there a good way to do that? I want to know what google's going to be
                                  > roboting for... if they do this huge project.

                                  You get access to all of it via Movie - Get Movie Properties
                                  in the Movie info window only a small amount is shown.

                                  cheers
                                  Adrian Miles

                                  +++++++++++++++++++++
                                  http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/
                                • Marguerita
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 17, 2011
                                    A friend sent me this article - is anyone looking into creating a site that streams content?

                                    http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/webmaster/web-development-101-designing-your-site-for-google-tv.html

                                    short link - http://goo.gl/ERdD3

                                    I must admit that after 5 days with the flu, I may not quite be "getting it". First confession, I had no idea that something aimed at Google TV could be viewed on the internet - I thought it had to be created for their player.......I am too confused for words.

                                    Marguerita
                                  • pageflex2001
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 18, 2011
                                      How pathetic of google to ask video publishers to recreate their web sites for their tv environment?! They need content? They then better come up with automated site conversion wizard-like tool for video publishers to create the google tv version of the site.