NORML $5,000 Video Blogging Contest

  • Jack Olmsted
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 19, 2005
      On October 3, NORML, The National Organization for the Reform of
      Marijuana Laws, will be announcing a $5,000 video blogging contest.
      Material for the contest will be posted on several free video hosting
      sites.

      On Saturday, I was asked to come up with a list of contest categories
      and how it should be organized and presented to the online community.
      I'm seeking input from the group.

      BTW: Did a group member cover the 16th Annual Boston Freedom Rally
      over the weekend?

      -Jack
      http://normltv.blogspot.com
    • jonny goldstein
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 19, 2005
        This is great. Marijuana decriminalization is an issue that is close to my heart (not to
        say lungs).

        I know people can make lots of nudge, nudge, wink, wink jokes about pot, but the
        situation today with people being locked up for trafficking in or using this fairly innocuous
        drug is out of hand.

        I think NORML is very smart to take this approach, since mainstream media will not cover
        this issue the way it needs to be covered.

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Olmsted" <j_olmsted@y...> wrote:
        > On October 3, NORML, The National Organization for the Reform of
        > Marijuana Laws, will be announcing a $5,000 video blogging contest.
        > Material for the contest will be posted on several free video hosting
        > sites.
        >
        > On Saturday, I was asked to come up with a list of contest categories
        > and how it should be organized and presented to the online community.
        > I'm seeking input from the group.
        >
        > BTW: Did a group member cover the 16th Annual Boston Freedom Rally
        > over the weekend?
        >
        > -Jack
        > http://normltv.blogspot.com
      • Kunga
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 19, 2005
          I wish I had known about this a couple of weeks ago. There was a
          major medical marijuana festival here in Santa Cruz that I did not
          document.
          --
          Taylor Barcroft
          New Media Publisher, Editor, Video Journalist, Webcaster, Futurecaster

          On Sep 19, 2005, at 10:22 AM, jonny goldstein wrote:

          > This is great. Marijuana decriminalization is an issue that is
          > close to my heart (not to
          > say lungs).
          >
          > I know people can make lots of nudge, nudge, wink, wink jokes about
          > pot, but the
          > situation today with people being locked up for trafficking in or
          > using this fairly innocuous
          > drug is out of hand.
          >
          > I think NORML is very smart to take this approach, since mainstream
          > media will not cover
          > this issue the way it needs to be covered.
        • Markus Sandy
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 19, 2005
            you guys got a feed that works in FireAnt?

            Try feedburner - see freevlog step 6 (i think it's been updated).

            Jack Olmsted wrote:

            >On October 3, NORML, The National Organization for the Reform of
            >Marijuana Laws, will be announcing a $5,000 video blogging contest.
            >Material for the contest will be posted on several free video hosting
            >sites.
            >
            >On Saturday, I was asked to come up with a list of contest categories
            >and how it should be organized and presented to the online community.
            >I'm seeking input from the group.
            >
            >BTW: Did a group member cover the 16th Annual Boston Freedom Rally
            >over the weekend?
            >
            >-Jack
            >http://normltv.blogspot.com

            http://apperceptions.org
            http://digitaldojo.blogspot.com
            http://spinflow.org
            http://wearethemedia.com
            http://www.corante.com/events/feedfest/

            aim/ichat: markus.sandy@...
            msn: msandy@...
            skype: msandy
            spin: markus@...
          • Jack Olmsted
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 20, 2005
              > you guys got a feed that works in FireAnt?
              >
              > Try feedburner - see freevlog step 6 (i think it's been updated).

              I don't understand?
              On the sidebar of the NORML Video Blog
              There is an RSS link: "NORML Video Blog RSS Feed"
              And a feedburner gif banner (the blog has been listed on feedburner
              for over a week)

              Is the XML feedburner bug necessary to work with FireAnt?
              How does FireAnt compare with blinkx.tv?
              The NORML blog is spidered by blinkx...

              -Jack

              > Jack Olmsted wrote:
              >
              > >On October 3, NORML, The National Organization for the Reform of
              > >Marijuana Laws, will be announcing a $5,000 video blogging
              contest.
              > >Material for the contest will be posted on several free video
              hosting
              > >sites.
              > >
              > >On Saturday, I was asked to come up with a list of contest
              categories
              > >and how it should be organized and presented to the online
              community.
              > >I'm seeking input from the group.
              > >
              > >BTW: Did a group member cover the 16th Annual Boston Freedom
              Rally
              > >over the weekend?
              > >
              > >-Jack
              > >http://normltv.blogspot.com
              > >

              > --
              >
              > My name is Markus Sandy and I am app.etitio.us
              >
              > http://apperceptions.org
              > http://digitaldojo.blogspot.com
              > http://spinflow.org
              > http://wearethemedia.com
              > http://www.corante.com/events/feedfest/
              >
              > aim/ichat: markus.sandy@m...
              > msn: msandy@a...
              > skype: msandy
              > spin: markus@a...
            • Markus Sandy
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 20, 2005
                Jack Olmsted wrote:

                >I don't understand?
                >On the sidebar of the NORML Video Blog
                >There is an RSS link: "NORML Video Blog RSS Feed"
                >And a feedburner gif banner (the blog has been listed on feedburner
                >for over a week)
                >
                >Is the XML feedburner bug necessary to work with FireAnt?
                >How does FireAnt compare with blinkx.tv?
                >The NORML blog is spidered by blinkx...

                when i copy your feed url to the new fireant, i get "error downloading
                and parsing feed"

                if your readership is at all like mine (i have no idea if it is), then
                about 40% are fireant users who would also have this problem

                the "NORML Video Blog RSS feed" is in fact a blogger feed which may be
                the problem

                your feedburner url is not listed anywhere that I can see (the
                feedburner banner is not a link to your feed, it's just an ad), using
                the feedburner url instead of the blogger feed would probably solve the
                problem

                what is you feedburner url? it does not appear to be named norml or normltv

                I have not used blinkx so I can't comment on that.

                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 20, 2005
                  Markus,

                  Thanks for the feedback.

                  As per your comments, I just added a clicklet farm on the NORML
                  Video Blog sidebar. Now, people can subcribe to the feed on a
                  variety of RSS reader sites.

                  BTW: I guessed at the code for MSN. Do you know what works?

                  Thanks again...

                  -Jack
                  http://view-point.blogspot.com
                  http://normltv.blogspot.com

                  > when i copy your feed url to the new fireant, i get "error
                  downloading
                  > and parsing feed"
                  >
                  > if your readership is at all like mine (i have no idea if it is),
                  then
                  > about 40% are fireant users who would also have this problem
                  >
                  > the "NORML Video Blog RSS feed" is in fact a blogger feed which
                  may be
                  > the problem
                  >
                  > your feedburner url is not listed anywhere that I can see (the
                  > feedburner banner is not a link to your feed, it's just an ad),
                  using
                  > the feedburner url instead of the blogger feed would probably
                  solve the
                  > problem
                  >
                  > what is you feedburner url? it does not appear to be named norml
                  or normltv

                  > I have not used blinkx so I can't comment on that.
                  >

                  > --
                  >
                  > My name is Markus Sandy and I am app.etitio.us
                  >
                  > http://apperceptions.org
                  > http://digitaldojo.blogspot.com
                  > http://spinflow.org
                  > http://wearethemedia.com
                  > http://www.corante.com/events/feedfest/
                  >
                  > aim/ichat: markus.sandy@m...
                  > msn: msandy@a...
                  > skype: msandy
                  > spin: markus@a...
                • Pete Prodoehl
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 20, 2005
                    Markus Sandy wrote:
                    > Jack Olmsted wrote:
                    >

                    >>I don't understand?
                    >>On the sidebar of the NORML Video Blog
                    >>There is an RSS link: "NORML Video Blog RSS Feed"
                    >>And a feedburner gif banner (the blog has been listed on feedburner
                    >>for over a week)
                    >>
                    >>Is the XML feedburner bug necessary to work with FireAnt?
                    >>How does FireAnt compare with blinkx.tv?
                    >>The NORML blog is spidered by blinkx...

                    > when i copy your feed url to the new fireant, i get "error downloading
                    > and parsing feed"

                    This feed:

                    <URL:http://feeds.feedburner.com/NormlVideoBlog>

                    is invalid:

                    <URL:http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffeeds.feedburner.com%2FNormlVideoBlog>

                    There also appears to be no enclosures in the feed...

                    Pete

                    --
                    http://tinkernet.org/
                    videoblog for the future...
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 20, 2005
                      Pete,

                      > This feed:
                      >
                      > <URL:http://feeds.feedburner.com/NormlVideoBlog>
                      >
                      > is invalid:
                      >
                      > <URL:http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%
                      2Ffeeds.feedburner.com%2FNormlVideoBlog>

                      > There also appears to be no enclosures in the feed...

                      Hmmm. I just click on

                      <url:http://feeds.feedburner.com/NormlVideoBlog>

                      and it worked for me....no prob

                      -Jack
                    • Jack Olmsted
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 20, 2005
                        James,

                        You can adjust the group emails to your inbox through "Edit
                        Membership" (left/center of page). There is also an RSS message
                        feed, too. -Jack

                        > Its ok.. but do I have to recieve all these emails?
                        > Doesnt matter if I do but somtimes I would like to 'turn it off
                        for a bit'

                        > James
                        >

                        > --
                        > James Helliwell
                        > Firespin Design
                        > w. www.firespin.co.uk
                        > West Sussex Company specializing in
                        > Web, Print Design, Illustration,
                        > Hosting services and Support.
                        > Affordable prices.
                      • Markus Sandy
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 20, 2005
                          Jack Olmsted wrote:

                          >Markus,
                          >
                          >Thanks for the feedback.
                          >
                          >As per your comments, I just added a clicklet farm on the NORML
                          >Video Blog sidebar. Now, people can subcribe to the feed on a
                          >variety of RSS reader sites.

                          thanks jack!
                          the feed is accepted by ant now
                          however, no media is downloaded yet

                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 20, 2005
                            This feed is not working with the iTunes client. A manual
                            subscription attempt yields nothing on the Podcast page. You need to
                            iTunes compatibility section in feedburner you can tweak to make it
                            work with iTunes, even if it is only manually added - which is what I
                            tried to do.

                            It goes into NetNewsWire Lite just fine. But you have it set to not
                            display the complete posts so we can't see the video jpgs and link to
                            the video from NetNewsWire either. If you go back into feedburner and
                            and change your settings to allow complete display of posts then
                            readers won't have to go to the site to see the videos - unless that
                            is your intention in which case you will lose a lot of viewers. I
                            know this because I went through the same learning curve for
                            FutureMedia's feed.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 20, 2005
                              Jack Olmsted wrote:

                              >>This feed:
                              >>
                              >><URL:http://feeds.feedburner.com/NormlVideoBlog>
                              >>
                              >>is invalid:

                              <URL:http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffeeds.feedburner.com%2FNormlVideoBlog>

                              >>There also appears to be no enclosures in the feed...
                              >

                              > Hmmm. I just click on
                              >
                              > <url:http://feeds.feedburner.com/NormlVideoBlog>
                              >
                              > and it worked for me....no prob
                              >
                              > -Jack

                              It may "work for you" in that it does indeed load in your browser, but
                              the feed is invalid, which means it's wrong, which means you can't
                              guarantee it will work anywhere...

                              Go here:

                              http://feedvalidator.org/

                              and try to validate this url:

                              http://feeds.feedburner.com/NormlVideoBlog

                              You will see that it does not validate. It has errors.

                              Also, if you look at the feed itself, you will see it has no "enclosure"
                              elements (just look for the text "<enclosure" and you will not find it.)

                              Without these "enclosures" an aggregator will be able to find any videos.

                              Pete

                              --
                              http://tinkernet.org/
                              videoblog for the future...
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 20, 2005
                                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Pete Prodoehl <raster@g...>
                                wrote:
                                > Jack Olmsted wrote:
                                > >
                                > >>This feed:
                                > >>
                                > >><URL:http://feeds.feedburner.com/NormlVideoBlog>
                                > >>
                                > >>is invalid:
                                > >>
                                > <URL:http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%
                                2Ffeeds.feedburner.com%2FNormlVideoBlog>

                                > >>There also appears to be no enclosures in the feed...
                                > >

                                > > Hmmm. I just click on
                                > >
                                > > <url:http://feeds.feedburner.com/NormlVideoBlog>
                                > >
                                > > and it worked for me....no prob
                                > >
                                > > -Jack
                                >
                                > It may "work for you" in that it does indeed load in your browser,
                                but
                                > the feed is invalid, which means it's wrong, which means you can't
                                > guarantee it will work anywhere...
                                >
                                > Go here:
                                >
                                > http://feedvalidator.org/
                                >
                                > and try to validate this url:
                                >

                                > You will see that it does not validate. It has errors.
                                >
                                > Also, if you look at the feed itself, you will see it has
                                no "enclosure"
                                > elements (just look for the text "<enclosure" and you will not
                                find it.)

                                > Without these "enclosures" an aggregator will be able to find any
                                videos.

                                OK. I see that

                                http://feeds.feedburner.com/NormlVideoBlog

                                does not validate with

                                http://feedvalidator.org/

                                and the blogger RSS feed does not validate either

                                http://normltv.blogspot.com/rss/normltv.xml

                                What is wrong?
                                How can it be fixed?

                                Can somebody give me a step-by-step?

                                In my - feedburner

                                1) Optimize Your Feed (tab)
                                2) SmartCast™ - Podcasting and iTunes settings (left menu selection)
                                3) Include iTunes podcasting elements (check)
                                4) Include "Media RSS" information and add podcast to Yahoo! Search
                                (check)
                                5) Ping audio.weblogs.com each time my feed includes new podcasts
                                (check)
                                6) Create podcast enclosures from links to (any audio or video file)

                                What box is checked that shouldn't be checked?

                                Thanks,

                                -Jack
                              • James Helliwell

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 21, 2005
                                    >><URL:http://feeds.feedburner.com/NormlVideoBlog>

                                    >>is invalid:

                                    > > <URL:http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%
                                    2Ffeeds.feedburner.com%2FNormlVideoBlog>

                                    It appears that your source feed:

                                    http://normltv.blogspot.com/rss/normltv.xml

                                    Doesn't include the full text of posts, which means that we don't
                                    see the links to media files, which means we can't turn them into
                                    enclosures (via our SmartCast service). There is a setting in
                                    Blogger Settings that will let you publish a full feed instead of a
                                    partial feed, which will then let us see the entire text of your
                                    posts (including links). At that point, things should be working.

                                    Hope this helps,

                                    Rick

                                    ----
                                    Rick Klau
                                    VP, Business Development
                                    FeedBurner - http://www.feedburner.com

                                    NOTE: The "Descriptions" in Blogger>Settings>Site Feed - was set
                                    to "Short"

                                    It is now set to "Full"

                                    Hopefully, this fixes the problem.
                                  • kylefasanella
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Sep 21, 2005
                                      I made this very popular Norml Video a few months back. I didn't hear much from them.
                                      maybe it sparked this whole thing! idk here is a link

                                      http://www.vidblogs.com/cgi-bin/public.pl?blogger=KyleFasanella&blog=8

                                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Olmsted" <j_olmsted@y...> wrote:
                                      > On October 3, NORML, The National Organization for the Reform of
                                      > Marijuana Laws, will be announcing a $5,000 video blogging contest.
                                      > Material for the contest will be posted on several free video hosting
                                      > sites.
                                      >
                                      > On Saturday, I was asked to come up with a list of contest categories
                                      > and how it should be organized and presented to the online community.
                                      > I'm seeking input from the group.
                                      >
                                      > BTW: Did a group member cover the 16th Annual Boston Freedom Rally
                                      > over the weekend?
                                      >
                                      > -Jack
                                      > http://normltv.blogspot.com
                                    • Jack Olmsted
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Sep 21, 2005
                                        Hey Kyle,

                                        Your video of the NORML conference in SF was blogged over a week
                                        ago. I discovered it surfing google:

                                        http://normltv.blogspot.com/2005/09/vidblogscom-home-of-video-
                                        blogging.html

                                        Good Stuff...

                                        Are you interested in becoming a contributor to the NORML Video
                                        Blog? Do you have more material?

                                        -Jack
                                        http://normltv.blogspot.com

                                        > I made this very popular Norml Video a few months back. I didn't
                                        hear much from them.
                                        > maybe it sparked this whole thing! idk here is a link
                                        >
                                        > http://www.vidblogs.com/cgi-bin/public.pl?
                                        blogger=KyleFasanella&blog=8

                                        > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Olmsted"
                                        <j_olmsted@y...> wrote:
                                        > > On October 3, NORML, The National Organization for the Reform of
                                        > > Marijuana Laws, will be announcing a $5,000 video blogging
                                        contest.
                                        > > Material for the contest will be posted on several free video
                                        hosting
                                        > > sites.
                                        > >
                                        > > On Saturday, I was asked to come up with a list of contest
                                        categories
                                        > > and how it should be organized and presented to the online
                                        community.
                                        > > I'm seeking input from the group.
                                        > >
                                        > > BTW: Did a group member cover the 16th Annual Boston Freedom
                                        Rally
                                        > > over the weekend?
                                        > >
                                        > > -Jack
                                        > > http://normltv.blogspot.com
                                      • kylefasanella
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Sep 21, 2005
                                          I currently dont have more material but I do plan on getting as much as possible becuase I
                                          belive in the cause. I would liek to contribute. Also how can I get my hands on that 5k !

                                          I am a member of UCF norml in orlando. one of the biggest chapters. biggest school
                                          chaper for a fact.

                                          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Olmsted" <j_olmsted@y...> wrote:
                                          > Hey Kyle,
                                          >
                                          > Your video of the NORML conference in SF was blogged over a week
                                          > ago. I discovered it surfing google:
                                          >
                                          > http://normltv.blogspot.com/2005/09/vidblogscom-home-of-video-
                                          > blogging.html
                                          >
                                          > Good Stuff...
                                          >
                                          > Are you interested in becoming a contributor to the NORML Video
                                          > Blog? Do you have more material?
                                          >
                                          > -Jack
                                          > http://normltv.blogspot.com
                                          >
                                          > > I made this very popular Norml Video a few months back. I didn't
                                          > hear much from them.
                                          > > maybe it sparked this whole thing! idk here is a link
                                          > >
                                          > > http://www.vidblogs.com/cgi-bin/public.pl?
                                          > blogger=KyleFasanella&blog=8
                                          > >

                                          > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Olmsted"
                                          > <j_olmsted@y...> wrote:
                                          > > > On October 3, NORML, The National Organization for the Reform of
                                          > > > Marijuana Laws, will be announcing a $5,000 video blogging
                                          > contest.
                                          > > > Material for the contest will be posted on several free video
                                          > hosting
                                          > > > sites.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > On Saturday, I was asked to come up with a list of contest
                                          > categories
                                          > > > and how it should be organized and presented to the online
                                          > community.
                                          > > > I'm seeking input from the group.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > BTW: Did a group member cover the 16th Annual Boston Freedom
                                          > Rally
                                          > > > over the weekend?
                                          > > >
                                          > > > -Jack
                                          > > > http://normltv.blogspot.com
                                        • Jack Olmsted
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Sep 22, 2005
                                            Markus,

                                            The reason fireant did not display any media in the NORML Video Blog
                                            feedburner feed until yesterday is because I was not linking
                                            directly to media files (wmv, mov, mpeg, etc...).

                                            Since the primary free hosting sites (youtube, video.google,
                                            current.tv, vimeo.com, ibsys.com, msnbc, cnn, etc...) used for NORML
                                            Video Blog content do not provide standard media files, subscribers
                                            to the feed will only receive headlines and not video.

                                            In order for iTunes or FireAnt to pick up the RSS video feed,
                                            ourmedia.org or Blip TV would have to be used for the hosting sites
                                            since they maintain standard video files.

                                            Below is an email from Feedburner tech support:

                                            Links to .wmv files in your post ( 1 link per post) should be turned
                                            into enclosures in your feed and make it available to podcatchers
                                            that play wmv files. In the case of your second post, the first
                                            link was turned into an enclosure as seen here in your feed:

                                            <enclosure url="http://norml.com/video/norml_jesseventura56.wmv"
                                            length="362803" type="video/x-ms-wmv" />

                                            Finally, linking to sites rather than direct media files will not
                                            work for podcasting. They can still be in your blog and rss readers
                                            will see those links but not podcatcher subscribers such as iTunes
                                            and they definitely won't download those files automatically on the
                                            subscriber pc's

                                            Thanks,
                                            jessiec
                                            Feedburner Team

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Sep 22, 2005
                                              Jack Olmsted wrote:

                                              >Markus,
                                              >
                                              >The reason fireant did not display any media in the NORML Video Blog
                                              >feedburner feed until yesterday is because I was not linking
                                              >directly to media files (wmv, mov, mpeg, etc...).

                                              my fireant pulled two vids from your feed yesterday
                                              (or maybe the day before that, depending on time zone)
                                              happy happy
                                              thanks Jack!