RE: [videoblogging] BloggerVision

  • Jay Dedman
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
      Mica sent me a link to this woman's website.
      she studies at the MIT media lab.
      looks like they'd developing the kind of video interface that Peter dreamed up.
      http://www.audiovisceral.net/facts/this.html

      --
      Jay Dedman
      Manhattan Neighborhood Network
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
        On 16/06/2004, at 1:18 AM, Jay Dedman wrote:

        > Is anyone working on a blogging tool that you know of?

        I know that Aisling Kelliher was working on something like this, but
        I'm not sure where the project is up to. They were at the Media Lab at
        MIT and also MIT's Dublin Media Lab. they're videoblog is at:
        http://www.audiovisceral.net/

        and more details at:
        http://web.media.mit.edu/~aisling/

        also Eli at http://www.chapmanlogic.com/blog/ is working on stuff to do
        with prosumer tools that would achieve these sorts of things. btw eli
        has a good list of links.

        cheers
        Adrian Miles
        hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
        interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
        research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/
      • Adrian Miles
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
          On 16/06/2004, at 1:21 AM, Jay Dedman wrote:

          > And if I have 500 people watch my video every day(not inconceivable),
          > I will
          > run out of bandwidth within a week.
          > Peter and I are talking about renting our own server and sharing the
          > costs with
          > other videobloggers.
          >
          > would anyone be interested?

          now i need to be careful here, but I can provide some hosting
          space/bandwidth from my server. it is in Australia (in a small room
          downstairs), but i can do this for you for free. the proviso's are:

          1. the content must adhere to fair use provisions
          2. it can't slander, vilify, etc
          3. it must fit the research stuff i'm trying to support (providing some
          kickstart help for videoblogs is ok)
          4. it is a research server which means there is definitely *no* 24/7
          support and minimal backups are kept.

          given all that, is some people are interested in say 1Gb of free server
          space to serve from for a while, let me know and we'll see what we can
          come up with.

          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
            On 16/06/2004, at 5:56 AM, Yaron Samid wrote:

            > Now imagine a push-button desktop publishing tool and global network
            > leveraging the efficiencies of P2P with the convenience of a viewer
            > experience embedded directly in your blog. Subscribed viewers are
            > notified of your new post, launch your site, and watch the video
            > (which has already been delivered in the background to their local
            > disk) directly in your blog post. No server space, memory, or
            > bandwidth costs whatsoever. Does that model work?

            I'm confused by this, though intrigued.

            by p2p do you mean there may be multiple copies of the vog distributed
            via p2p to n clients so that when client x requests the video it is
            served from client y who already has it?

            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
              On 16/06/2004, at 10:07 AM, Jay Dedman wrote:

              > looks like they'd developing the kind of video interface that Peter
              > dreamed up.
              > http://www.audiovisceral.net/facts/this.html

              also check out
              http://weblogs.media.mit.edu/mupes/

              to see the nokia project they're working on.

              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
                isn't this what Bit Torrent is supposed to do?
                it seems too clunky to me.

                so today we've narrowed down the problems:
                --we need a simple interface that edits, optimizes, and posts video to a blog.
                --we need to solve the problem of storage so i can keep my archived video for
                years to come and have a permanent video presence on the web.
                --we need to solve the problem of bandwidth so I wont go broke if a bunch of
                people decide to follow my Moments day to day.

                The next thing is developing a langauge of videoblogging.

                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
                  On 16/06/2004, at 11:36 AM, Jay Dedman wrote:

                  > --we need to solve the problem of bandwidth so I wont go broke if a
                  > bunch of
                  > people decide to follow my Moments day to day.

                  as is so often the case Ted Nelson's original ideas would have been
                  handy here. He envisaged a system of micropayments for IP so that if
                  you view my work i earn n cents. if i view your work you earn n cents.
                  if i quote your work same deal.

                  at the moment ISPs pay for bandwidth and data flow, then charge this
                  down the line to end users. so the business model is basically
                  wholesale v. retail, but Nelson's model is essentially P2P, and of
                  course means if your content is popular you earn more, rather than pay
                  more (the irony online remaining that if your content is popular it
                  costs you, which is generally the reverse of other economic systems).

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
                    On 15/06/2004, at 5:09 PM, Yaron Samid wrote:

                    > Quality of service, namely picture quality (resolution and screen
                    > size) is important to mainstream viewer adoption. Its been proven
                    > time and again in the media world. Cable TV killed that antenna on
                    > top of your old TV set because of picture quality, not because of
                    > the 100 channels you never watch. You'll be switching to and paying
                    > extra for HDTV soon to. That being said, I've always felt the
                    > plumbing is only worth the shit it delivers. Picture quality or not,
                    > you're 100% correct, content is THE main driver of viewership and
                    > always will be.

                    I'm too far out of trad. media studies these days to know how accurate
                    this is :-) But i'll still keep the hat on and suggest it is only half
                    true. In Aust. cable uptake has been low, and in Britain it (I think)
                    was kick started by Murdoch buying football rights and sticking it on
                    the satellite. Here digital TV is being kicked off by home DVD +
                    theatre, not to get the digital signal. People are buying bigger tvs
                    with better sound systems so the extra few dollars for the decoder is
                    no big deal, but it is still secondary.

                    now, on top of that, keep in mind in the US you have NTSC and we have
                    PAL (as does Europe) which does look better, so the technical demand or
                    gap is lessened. Also I'd suggest it is not just quality of image but
                    content. Here things like the Soprano's, Sex in the City, Six Feet
                    Under, etc are all free to air but they are all cable in the States.
                    Now, not only is this content that US free to air can't match, but it
                    is also clear that cable has caused a renaissance in US television
                    production. This is because of the creative freedom that cable
                    produces, not because the picture is so much better :-)

                    I'm not disagreeing, just suggesting it is not just a question of
                    supply and demand where supply = better quality images and sound.

                    > I would think picture quality is relevant for video bloggers as
                    > well, whether they shoot a 15 second "life moment" or 5 minute short
                    > movie -- you put in the time to produce the content, isn't it a
                    > shame to have it seen in a choppy 200X100 window? Before you answer
                    > that, let me just say that it is entirely up to you. Our goal is not
                    > to enforce any production value standards on video bloggers, just to
                    > facilitate the publishing and distribution of their video files,
                    > regardless of its size. The key value to video bloggers is that its
                    > an free and easy way to publish video online. If they still want to
                    > create small, low-res files, that's completely up to them. Low
                    > quality encoding standards are actually imposed on people by the
                    > bandwith/costs limitations of streaming. Sticking to that standard
                    > with our technology would be like driving a porsche in 1st gear, but
                    > to each his own. This is really not about picture quality for the
                    > publishers but I'm glad you brought it up.

                    again 50% there. If I want to accept what are basically Hollywood
                    production values translated to the web then sure, but what if I want
                    to be Jean Luc Goddard on the web? Or any other new wave director?
                    What's the web equivalent there? Perhaps it is 320 x 240, stuttering,
                    shuddering video. But of course, the model ought to support all needs.

                    I do argue strongly for the idea that networked video is about desktop
                    screens. it isn't tv or cinema and misjudges the desktop if it tries to
                    be this. why? well the screen is domestic and personal. it is usually
                    viewed by one person, me. right now i have 12 programs running and I'll
                    flip from writing mail to my news browser to my web browser as I need
                    or whim dictates. So the model of content in this environment is the
                    blog chunk. That isn't just 20" bits of video but it is also 20" bits
                    of video that play nicely on my desktop with everything else that I'm
                    doing. For example, right now the best 'vogs' are high quality 30
                    second commercials that companies make available online. my personal
                    favourites have been the US Volkswagen ads. They're 30seconds long,
                    download in easily, play politely, have good production values and good
                    narratives. They don't want to be movies, they don't want or need to
                    own my desktop. Would I like much better quality sound and vision? sure
                    :-) Will it ever be enough? No.

                    > How important do you think it is for video bloggers to have thier
                    > clips seen by many people? Is it a small community thing or are we
                    > striving for mainstream viewership?

                    oh, tricky one. If you're using the blog model then it is more about a
                    community of reader/viewers which could be 10's, 100's, 1000's or
                    10,000's. if you want a lot of viewers then it is easy to get them, but
                    if you want quality readers then it is a case of making decent work and
                    letting the audience accrue. what many in .com misunderstand is that
                    for things like blogs and vogs the start up costs basically approach 0.
                    That means there is no implicit need to garner an audience to recoup
                    the start up and running costs. So if you make decent content, leave it
                    there, add to it, your audience builds over time.

                    in terms of vogs the trickiest part is to develop the same architecture
                    that blogs have. permalinks that point to video objects not html
                    objects, a way of linking to those, and the like. This is what will
                    significantly help videoblogs as a specific practice, the other
                    conversation is to treat video on the web as only a question about
                    delivery. it isn't. it is also about making, writing, publishing, then
                    viewing and linking.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
                      Adrian,
                      I got in touch with the guy, Kow Atta-Mensah, who helped the MIT woman build a
                      pseudo-videoblogging tool.
                      http://www.audiovisceral.net/facts/this.html
                      He said they built it a couple years ago.
                      The only thing they didnt do was give it an FTP function.

                      He said we could possibly get the code for it.
                      would anyone be interested in figuring it out if we could get the code?

                      "im sad to tell you that i haven't made an update to that software in
                      almost a couple of years. it was an undergraduate research project i
                      was helping with back at MIT. i recently graduated and left the
                      institute. i am not sure, but aisling might have had someone take over
                      my role. you can reach her at aisling@.... just tell her i
                      pointed you to her. sadly, i dont even have my old source, but if she
                      does i believe she would be willing to give it to you. sort of messy,
                      but someone java savvy should be able to figure it out. if you have any
                      questions, i'd be glad to answer them."

                      "i dont believe i ever finished that part(FTP)... but there are lots of open
                      source java ftp clients (and servers) available so making the addition
                      is pretty simple. the recording capability i built in was fast for the
                      time (for java anyways) and im sure newer versions of the quicktime and
                      jmf apis have been released which will make an immediate speed
                      increase."

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 16, 2004
                        On 16/06/2004, at 3:10 PM, Jay Dedman wrote:

                        > I got in touch with the guy, Kow Atta-Mensah, who helped the MIT woman
                        > build a
                        > pseudo-videoblogging tool.
                        > http://www.audiovisceral.net/facts/this.html
                        > He said they built it a couple years ago.
                        > The only thing they didnt do was give it an FTP function.
                        >
                        > He said we could possibly get the code for it.
                        > would anyone be interested in figuring it out if we could get the code?

                        well one possibility is that I try to get Apple University Consortium
                        money here in Australia to finish it and release it. Though if it is
                        MIT's then I'd assume they own it.
                        Other suggestions welcome. I can't program Java but this is certainly I
                        project I might be able to get funding for.

                        cheers
                        Adrian Miles
                        hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
                        interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
                        research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/
                      • petertheman
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 16, 2004
                          > Other suggestions welcome. I can't program Java but this is
                          certainly I project I might be able to get funding for.

                          There is a whole bunch of tools needed (videoblogging tools,
                          aggregating tools, ...) for various audiences. And more importantly,
                          standards are needed for those tools (Bittorrent for P2P, RSS
                          enclosures for syndication, ...).

                          Is anyone interested in outlining the various audiences and/or use
                          cases and types of tools/standards we imagine together? We can put
                          them on the me-tv.org wiki. Having good requirements might inspire
                          someone to actually build these things :)

                          As I said before, I started playing around with some requirements for
                          one type of tool on the wiki (it's slow right now, cheap host!).

                          PS: An article in the new scientist mentions videoblogging:

                          http://www.newscientist.com/hottopics/tech/article.jsp?
                          id=99995015&sub=Communications

                          "A pair of sunglasses that can detect when someone is making eye
                          contact with the wearer has been developed by Canadian researchers.
                          Besides being useful in singles bars, its inventors say the system
                          could play a key role in video blogging, a hi-tech form of diary
                          keeping."

                          Jay actually has a pair of funky glasses (they look inconspicous in
                          the Lower East Side in NYC) connected to a video recording device.
                          Jay, wanna try out videoblogging with those?

                          Cheers,
                          Peter
                        • Jay Dedman
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 16, 2004
                            We've been talking about devloping a vdieobloggin tool.
                            which would be amazing if we could make happen.
                            But my question is this:
                            how would you use it?

                            I subscribe to all the videoblogs I can find, and most update every two
                            weeks to every two months.
                            definitely not daily.
                            is videoblogging was a more intuitive process would you post video daily?
                            what would it be?

                            i know some people are about short Moments, while others are into edited
                            movies.
                            Id like to hear from some of the people who havent posted yet.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 16, 2004
                              On 17/06/2004, at 4:09 AM, Jay Dedman wrote:

                              > how would you use it?

                              well next year i have 50 students who will all be doing at least one
                              small project around video blogs. so something that lets you:

                              capture, do a quick cut, set in and out points, publish straight into
                              your blog CMS.

                              iMovie does everything except the last bit, but given the things out
                              there for iPhoto to publish to a blog, etc, I'm assuming it would be
                              possible to write a plug in for iMovie that would do this.

                              not sure about the 95% of the world on pcs though.

                              cheers
                              Adrian Miles
                              hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
                              interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
                              research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/
                            • Deirdre Straughan, class of 81
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 19 7:05 AM
                                > --we need to solve the problem of bandwidth so I wont go broke if a
                                bunch of
                                > people decide to follow my Moments day to day.

                                Seems to me there's something wrong with this model. If your blog were
                                that popular, wouldn't it be fair for YOU to get paid for it? After
                                all, someone somewhere along the line is making money from our viewing
                                you - at the very least, our various bandwidth providers. If there
                                wasn't stuff on the web we wanted to see (including you), we wouldn't
                                be paying the providers, and especially we wouldn't be paying them for
                                the high speed needed to view video.

                                best regards,
                                Deirdré Straughan

                                http://www.straughan.com
                              • Adrian Miles
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 22 12:17 AM
                                  On 20/07/2004, at 12:05 AM, Deirdre Straughan, class of 81 wrote:

                                  > Seems to me there's something wrong with this model. If your blog were
                                  > that popular, wouldn't it be fair for YOU to get paid for it? After
                                  > all, someone somewhere along the line is making money from our viewing
                                  > you - at the very least, our various bandwidth providers. If there
                                  > wasn't stuff on the web we wanted to see (including you), we wouldn't
                                  > be paying the providers, and especially we wouldn't be paying them for
                                  > the high speed needed to view video.

                                  Ted Nelson had a vision of this in the 60s which largely consisted of
                                  micropayments for *all* content. each time you view my content i earn,
                                  let's say .00001 cent per byte. When I view yours, I pay the same. at
                                  some point some equity arises but the main point was that valuable
                                  (viewed/used) content would be rewarded with increased payment.

                                  This was part of Project Xanadu, well before the WWW was a twinkle in
                                  Tim's eyes.

                                  cheers
                                  Adrian Miles
                                  hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
                                  interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
                                  research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/
                                • The Dane
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 23 8:35 AM
                                    --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Adrian Miles
                                    > Ted Nelson had a vision of this in the 60s
                                    > which largely consisted of micropayments for
                                    > *all* content. each time you view my content
                                    > i earn, let's say .00001 cent per byte. When
                                    > I view yours, I pay the same. at some point
                                    > some equity arises but the main point was
                                    > that valuable (viewed/used) content would
                                    > be rewarded with increased payment.

                                    There are currently companies out there providing micropayment
                                    services and I've though of instituting micropayments on some of my
                                    own material, but the trick is becoming popular enough to merit
                                    people paying for your content. Most of the videoblogs I watch, I
                                    watch because the only thing they cost is my time - and I probably
                                    wouldn't watch them if I had to pay even a small amount. And I'm an
                                    interested party. This is where programming concepts come in (not
                                    computer programming, but market programming). It's like it's cool
                                    that there are public access channels on television, but nobody
                                    would ever pay to see the kind of stuff on public access.

                                    So really the trick is, build a market of people who would pay a
                                    nickel to watch your videoblogging and then you can charge. If you
                                    charge before the market exists, it'll be much more difficult to
                                    even get it off the ground.