Re: [videoblogging] copy protection in new windows version

  • Adrian Miles
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
      around the 1/9/05 Richard mentioned about [videoblogging] copy
      protection in new windows version that:
      >... I don't want to be overly dramatic (well, on the other hand,
      >yeah I do), but, the stage is definately being set for science
      >fiction reality show where the consumer will no longer own rights to
      >any of the entertainment media on their own system, whether they buy
      >it or not ...

      as Andreas pointed out here a while back, this is already the case
      with the iTunes music store. What you purchase is a licence to use.
      This is capital's response to digital technology where scarcity no
      longer exists - the logic of the market requires scarcity (otherwise
      how can it determine value?) and so invents a licencing scheme that,
      out of the ether, generates restrictions.

      --
      cheers
      Adrian Miles

      hypertext.RMIT