Snapz Pro X

  • DrLinton Hutchinson
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
      When I use Snapz Pro X to capture a screen shot of my quicktime on my
      MAC and put it in blogger is looks really bad. Take a look for me when
      you get a nano:

      http://exampassing.com/extraordinary/

      ANY suggestions to get a better looking gif file would be appreciated -
      should I be saving it as a jpg instead?

      With friendly greetings,

      Linton
    • Kunga
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
        in a word - yes. And use Photoshop to reduce its size for fast loading.
        --
        Taylor Barcroft
        New Media Publisher, Editor, Video Journalist

        On Sep 1, 2005, at 4:50 PM, DrLinton Hutchinson wrote:

        > ANY suggestions to get a better looking gif file would be
        > appreciated -
        > should I be saving it as a jpg instead?

      • Markus Sandy
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
          i use snapz pro x and always save to a png or jpg w/o problems

          btw, your url yields "I am sorry but this directory is restricted.
          Please contact the system administrator of this site if you have become
          lost."

          DrLinton Hutchinson wrote:

          >When I use Snapz Pro X to capture a screen shot of my quicktime on my
          >MAC and put it in blogger is looks really bad. Take a look for me when
          >you get a nano:
          >

          >http://exampassing.com/extraordinary/
          >

          >ANY suggestions to get a better looking gif file would be appreciated -
          >should I be saving it as a jpg instead?

          http://apperceptions.org
          http://digitaldojo.blogspot.com
          http://spinflow.org
          http://wearethemedia.com
          http://www.corante.com/events/feedfest/

          aim/ichat: markus.sandy@...
          msn: msandy@...
          skype: msandy
          spin: markus@...
        • Alessandro Muzi
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
            a image with a lot of collors will look better if you compress in JPEG; less colors use to look better with the GIF format.
            save the image with double size in pixels and reescale it in a image editor, like photoshop, could solve your problem. that´s the way 3d and composition renderings of videos could look better too.

            I couldn´t see the link you send. a error message appears.

            alessandro.

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
              Sorry, here is the url if you'd be kind enough to take a peek:

              http://mostExtraordinary.blogspot.com

              If saving as a JPG using Snapz Pro X on a mac, which setting?

              thanks in advance

              Linton
            • Verdi
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
                It looks like the image on your website is a .gif that uses only 79
                colors. The best way is to save it as something uncompressed like
                a .tif, .psd, .png and then resize and compress for the web as a .jpg
                in a program like PhotoShop.

                --
                Verdi

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
                  Yeah those artifacts are typical of tiff graphics. Avoid tiff. To get
                  better looking and smaller (load fast) graphics always use JPEG.

                  Snapz Pro X settings

                  preferences, jpg. settings, file creator Photoshop (assuming you have
                  it).

                  Then open in Photoshop and File -> Save for Web... to radically
                  reduce it's size while retaining quality. Adjust quality in upper
                  right corner and it will change and show size on bottom left corner.
                  You can play with the quality size until it's as small as possible
                  without falling apart. This is the "ImageReady" component of
                  Photoshop that used to be a separate application in previous
                  versions. I am referring to PhotoShop CS (8). Best to run all
                  graphics through ImageReady to keep all your images JPEG and as small
                  as possible for maximum site loading speed. You can open almost any
                  graphic element in Photoshop no matter what type it is and convert it
                  to JPEG for the web through this path.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
                    On Sep 1, 2005, at 9:03 PM, Kunga wrote:

                    > Yeah those artifacts are typical of tiff graphics. Avoid tiff.

                    Those are definitely not tiff artifacts. Tiff files are typically
                    uncompressed and are used as a source format for graphic design. The
                    file on his website is a .gif. When you open it and look at it with
                    Photoshop it says it contains only 79 colors. Those "artifacts" are
                    caused by dithering - which is a process that helps to create the
                    illusion of more colors by placing pixels of different colors next to
                    one another. It's kind of like those paintings by Georges Seurat.
                    --
                    Verdi
                  • Kunga
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
                      I stand corrected by the master. I meant gif and wrote tiff. Doh!
                      --

                      On Sep 1, 2005, at 7:34 PM, Verdi wrote:

                      > On Sep 1, 2005, at 9:03 PM, Kunga wrote:
                      >

                      >> Yeah those artifacts are typical of tiff graphics. Avoid tiff.
                      >>

                      > Those are definitely not tiff artifacts. Tiff files are typically
                      > uncompressed and are used as a source format for graphic design. The
                      > file on his website is a .gif. When you open it and look at it with
                      > Photoshop it says it contains only 79 colors. Those "artifacts" are
                      > caused by dithering - which is a process that helps to create the
                      > illusion of more colors by placing pixels of different colors next to
                      > one another. It's kind of like those paintings by Georges Seurat.
                      > --
                      > Verdi

                    • Gena
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
                        I have experience in this so I want to give you my .02 cents.

                        Option 1:

                        You can make a screen shot directly from QT Pro. Find the area of the
                        clip that you want to extract, click with your left mouse button and
                        drag it to the desktop. It will be saved in a Bitmap format with the
                        file extension .bmp

                        You will need to go into a photo editing program to convert it to a
                        .jpg

                        Bitmaps are not that great quality to begin with, so I can see why
                        your images look a bit rough. If you immediately save a copy as a .jpg
                        then you can minimize your problems. This is actually easier than what
                        your are doing and the results can be acceptible. I do this if I don't
                        have a digital photo available.

                        Option 2:
                        Some camcorders have an option to shoot still images. I don't know
                        what you have so I going to assume that you do. If that is the case
                        then take a moment and snap a photo or two then you can do the
                        following.

                        1. After you decide on the image make a master copy. Save it as a .psd
                        (if you have Photoshop) or whatever native format the program
                        generates (not bitmap, eww). Save it and put it away just in case.

                        2. Now make a "working copy" With this copy you can resize, transform,
                        crop or whatever you want to do. Get it in its final form. If it is an
                        photographic image you will need to save it as a .jpg (PC) or (.jpeg)
                        Mac. Since you are planning to use it on the web save it with the
                        file extension of .jpg.

                        3. Once you have saved it (idealy with a different file name) don't go
                        back and do more work. Each successive save compresses the image or
                        actually tosses out digital information. It will begin to look
                        terrible.

                        -- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, DrLinton Hutchinson