Re: [videoblogging] Re: How will vloggers differ from bloggers.

  • Kunga
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
      No Gena. It's a one year rate that you can renew at the same price
      after the year is up. And don't worry what they say. You will be able
      to renew at the same low rate. I even know people who refuse the
      contract and still get it for $14.95 a month. You are letting FEAR
      get in your way. If you can afford it, get SBC DSL Pro for $25 a
      month that runs twice as fast. I am very happy with the additional
      speed.

      You are shooting yourself in the foot big time by not jumping on that
      deal from SBC immediately Gena. Stop telling yourself why you don't
      want-can't have it and order it today. Stop thinking about what is
      coming next and get the bargain you can get NOW Gena.
      --
      Taylor Barcroft
      New Media Publisher, Editor, Video Journalist

      On Sep 1, 2005, at 5:39 AM, Gena wrote:

      > SBC $14.95/month rate is promotional and will jump back to the
      > regular rate after 6 months.
    • Kunga
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
        Good to know. I should have figured they would play games with each
        market. But my point is that if she can get that rate for 6 months it
        is highly likely she will be able to renew at the same low price for
        the another 6 months. They do not really jack up the price at the end
        of a promotional price period. They simply offer you another contract
        for the same low price. You may have to phone and request it before
        your contract expires. Don't just let it expire without interaction
        with customer service. In that case they will jack up the price. But
        if you ASK for a low price renewal, my experience is, they will give
        it to you.

        Perfect example is in April they sent out an offer for DSL Pro for
        $29.95 a month. I was in the middle of a $27.95 for base DSL
        "contract". I phoned and they gave me the Pro for $29.95 right away -
        forget the contract. Then about a month or two later they started
        sending out promotional literature offering DSLPro for $25/month.
        First time I phoned to ask for the price reduction I was told it was
        only for new customers and only online. When I tried to order it
        online the web browser told me DSL wasn't available in my area. This
        was while I was using DSL Pro to get lower priced DSL Pro. So I
        phoned again after continuing to receive promotional literature about
        the lower price and said "I don't think it's fair for you to be
        hitting me with all this promotional literature for the lower price
        and not giving it to me because I took you up on your earlier offer
        for $30 a month b4 the price change. Rep left the phone to talk to
        super and came back with agreement to give me the lower price.

        Moral of the story is you can negotiate lower prices if you persevere
        and don't take no for an answer from the first customer rep. Ask for
        a supervisor. If they say no, call again another time and talk to a
        different supervisor. Rephrase your point of view to convince them to
        give you the lower price. Be charming not hostile.
        --

        On Sep 1, 2005, at 7:35 AM, Markus Sandy wrote:

        > that's incorrect (it may be true for you, but not throughout the major
        > California metro areas and certainly not in the rural areas)
        >
        > it goes at least as high as $79.95 for home DSL in some (non-rural)
        > areas in CA
        > there are still lots of places in California where there is still
        > no DSL
        > service (I'm talking citites here, not rural)
        > there are even more places in California where you can't get DSL
        > anymore
        > (gone bye bye)
        > some DSL providers are great, many are not
        >
        > Kunga wrote:
        >
        >> Where are you? DSL in California is $14.95 a month. Have you checked
        >> prices for broadband lately? They have plunged a lot in the past 3
        >> months.
      • Adrian Miles
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
          around the 1/9/05 Markus Sandy mentioned about Re: [videoblogging]
          Re: How will vloggers differ from blogg that:
          >that's incorrect (it may be true for you, but not throughout the major
          >California metro areas and certainly not in the rural areas)
          >
          >it goes at least as high as $79.95 for home DSL in some (non-rural)
          >areas in CA
          >there are still lots of places in California where there is still no DSL
          >service (I'm talking citites here, not rural)
          >there are even more places in California where you can't get DSL anymore
          >(gone bye bye)

          which is why I keep banging on about compression and bandwidth. It is
          bandwidth that costs, not storage, and your *viewers* are paying (a
          lot) for it. If you make 5 minute videos that are 20MG a pop, have 10
          in your RSS feed, then you *are* costing your viewers a non trivial
          amount of money.

          Bandwidth sustainability will be a key geopolitical issue, it
          certainly is right now in Australia except it isn't called that.
          --
          cheers
          Adrian Miles

          hypertext.RMIT
          <URL:http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vlog>
        • Joshua Kinberg
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
            > Bandwidth sustainability will be a key geopolitical issue, it
            > certainly is right now in Australia except it isn't called that.

            I agree with you. This is a real issue. What do they call it in Australia?
            Its not something that is much talked about in the US either. If it
            is, they usually call it something more general, like "falling behind
            in the digital divide" or something....

            -josh
          • Adrian Miles
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
              around the 1/9/05 Joshua Kinberg mentioned about Re: [videoblogging]
              Re: How will vloggers differ from blogg that:
              >I agree with you. This is a real issue. What do they call it in Australia?
              >Its not something that is much talked about in the US either. If it
              >is, they usually call it something more general, like "falling behind
              >in the digital divide" or something....

              digital divide, but at the moment it is all about 'broadband for the
              bush', country as big as USA, 20 million people - who is going to pay
              so that people in the middle of nowhere get broadband at a reasonable
              price? (It is called Universal Service Obligations, think postal
              service, send a letter from anywhere in the country to anywhere else
              for one price, the idea is that telecommunications should more or
              less cost the same where ever you are. )