Re: [videoblogging] How to have a group conversation...was Re: Narrowing Our View Of Video Blogging?

  • Kunga
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005
      As an "old" newbee, I can testify this group made the difference
      between me being clueless and being almost clueless. I can't thank
      everyone enough for all your help. After a month of wandering in the
      wilderness after the iTunes 4.9 RSS client release, I found the group
      and joined August 4. Less than a month later my site has already
      received positive recognition as among the best. Without this group
      that would not have happened. I feel terrible that I was not with
      this group since its inception 14 months ago. As a new media
      journalist, I was asleep on the job. Now I am scrambling to catch up.

      However, I did experience a chilling effect after being repeatedly
      admonished by one of the moderators for posting too many times. My
      enthusiasm and personal sharing was not appreciated by enough members
      to cause a backlash against my posts fairly early on.

      I guess I was contributing a lot more drama and ego than the group
      could take. But that phase of posting has to abate if one is
      seriously into this work because ultimately there isn't time to make
      a lot of posts. I think the joy and epiphanic nature of beginning
      this process makes excessive posts by newbees likely.

      Overall, I feel very accepted into the group. But I have to admit, I
      am afraid to ask too many questions anymore as a result of those
      admonishments.
      --
      Taylor Barcroft
      New Media Publisher, Editor, Video Journalist

      On Aug 31, 2005, at 8:57 PM, Jay dedman wrote:

      > The Videoblogging Group is the place for new people.
      > the new person is the most important in the group.
      > (im always proud when 10 people jump in to help somone set up a
      > feed...or figure out a codec).
      > we want to make sure people have the support to get started.
      > all the drama and egos are just funny...or annoying depending on
      > your POV.
      >
      > this is what amazes me:
      > http://vlogmap.org
    • Michael Sullivan
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005
        No Worry, Taylor.  I know you will 'grow into' the community more every day.

        Here is an idea... someone should start an open FAQ, maybe in wiki format, and post all your questions.  Those who are willing and able to answer them can simply do so.

        I suggest videoblogging.info be the place for this.

        But, dont feel like you cant ask any questions here as well.

        sull

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        --
        sull
        "The hybrid or the meeting of two media is a moment of truth and revelation from which new form is born"
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005
          Taylor, I do not think you post too much.  You are one of the most informed and authoritative voices here.  In fact, your advice regarding LCD monitors (ans to my posted query) was invaluable to me.

          I think the volume of posts here are a problem.  My email is virtually overwhelmed.  It will only get worse.  I agree that enthusiasm for vlogging and posting here can be counterproductive.  I won't have nearly as much time after I get my new computer in a few days and have to work at vlogging rather than just talking about it.

          I think this group is probably going to have to divide itself into diverse threads.  For instance, those interested in Node101 have started a separate group where discussions about Node101 can be more effectively focused.

          I find the technical discussions here to be invaluable and have been developing my own files by putting my own title of the matter being discussed in each posting since "the thread" title would be repetitive and possibly misleading.

          I've been so busy reading, I haven't even had time to research the archives of this group.  I just wonder if searching by keywords like "compression" will penetrate the thread titles in which they are frequently buried.
          As an "old" newbee, I can testify this group made the difference
          between me being clueless and being almost clueless. I can't thank
          everyone enough for all your help. After a month of wandering in the
          wilderness after the iTunes 4.9 RSS client release, I found the group
          and joined August 4. Less than a month later my site has already
          received positive recognition as among the best. Without this group
          that would not have happened. I feel terrible that I was not with
          this group since its inception 14 months ago. As a new media
          journalist, I was asleep on the job. Now I am scrambling to catch up.

          However, I did experience a chilling effect after being repeatedly
          admonished by one of the moderators for posting too many times. My
          enthusiasm and personal sharing was not appreciated by enough members
          to cause a backlash against my posts fairly early on.

          I guess I was contributing a lot more drama and ego than the group
          could take. But that phase of posting has to abate if one is
          seriously into this work because ultimately there isn't time to make
          a lot of posts. I think the joy and epiphanic nature of beginning
          this process makes excessive posts by newbees likely.

          Overall, I feel very accepted into the group. But I have to admit, I
          am afraid to ask too many questions anymore as a result of those
          admonishments.
          --
          Taylor Barcroft
          New Media Publisher, Editor, Video Journalist
          http://FutureMedia.org

          On Aug 31, 2005, at 8:57 PM, Jay dedman wrote:

          > The Videoblogging Group is the place for new people.
          > the new person is the most important in the group.
          > (im always proud when 10 people jump in to help somone set up a
          > feed...or figure out a codec).
          > we want to make sure people have the support to get started.
          > all the drama and egos are just funny...or annoying depending on
          > your POV.
          >
          > this is what amazes me:
          > http://vlogmap.org

        • skullcrew webmaster
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005
            Has anyone had an issue with the "Fast/Slow/Reverse" effect not
            working on iMove HD?

            It works...but right when it is done processing the effect it reverts
            the clip right back to what it was before it processed it!

            It is very frustrating being that I use this effect all the time.

            Any ideas?

            nick
            http://www.skullcrew.com
            http://www.angryshirts.com
          • BevSykes
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005
              >> I think the volume of posts here are a problem.  My email is virtually overwhelmed.  It will only get worse.  I agree that enthusiasm for vlogging and posting here can be counterproductive.  I won't have nearly as much time after I get my new computer in a few days and have to work at vlogging rather than just talking about it.

              I think this group is probably going to have to divide itself into diverse threads.  For instance, those interested in Node101 have started a separate group where discussions about Node101 can be more effectively focused. <<

              I'm wondering about the value of starting a separate group for beginning vloggers.  While I have found much of interest and learned a lot from this group, the way it has mushroomed in just the short time I've been a member and the explosion of technical information has buried me in e-mails, most of which I can't follow at all because they are way beyond my technical expertise.  I'm wondering if there are enough other people in my boat that a "vloging 101" group might help move some of the traffic off to its own group and leave the more advanced to have discussions here.

              Just a suggestion.

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005
                > I'm wondering about the value of starting a separate group for beginning
                > vloggers. While I have found much of interest and learned a lot from this
                > group, the way it has mushroomed in just the short time I've been a member
                > and the explosion of technical information has buried me in e-mails, most of
                > which I can't follow at all because they are way beyond my technical
                > expertise. I'm wondering if there are enough other people in my boat that a
                > "vloging 101" group might help move some of the traffic off to its own group
                > and leave the more advanced to have discussions here.

                we've spoken about this many times.
                if someone wants to start a niche group: go for it.
                This group is actually for beginners: its like the Grand Central Station.
                i believe that we are now starting to break off into more focused groups.

                I will link to any niche groups from this main site.
                Just send me the URL offlist.
                we can still stay one group...but let the conversation threads be
                easier to find.

                Adventures in Videoblogging
                  --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "BevSykes" <basykes@d...> wrote:
                  > >> I think the volume of posts here are a problem. My email is
                  virtually overwhelmed.
                  > I think this group is probably going to have to divide itself into
                  diverse threads.
                  > I'm wondering about the value of starting a separate group for
                  beginning vloggers.

                  (As one of the co-founders of this list): this list IS for beginning
                  videobloggers. Of course, we don't stay beginners, so advanced stuff
                  gets discussed to. But beginners should always feel free to ask
                  questions, and that's still the focus of this list. Remember, 1000s of
                  students for each of us. We are all teachers.

                  But having said that, everyone should feel free to start new lists,
                  websites and so on :)

                  Cheers,
                  Peter
                • Randolfe Wicker
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 3, 2005
                    The problem with starting a "beginners vloggers group" (which this is supposed to be) is that experienced and knowledgeable veterans who volunteer so much valuable advice here would probably not be very interested in such a group (with a few exceptions like Ryanne and Verdi).

                    I don't think the division should be there.  It should be more along lines like "compression", "servers", "tags", etc.
                    > >> I think the volume of posts here are a problem.  My email is
                    virtually overwhelmed.
                    > I think this group is probably going to have to divide itself into
                    diverse threads.
                    > I'm wondering about the value of starting a separate group for
                    beginning vloggers.

                    (As one of the co-founders of this list): this list IS for beginning
                    videobloggers. Of course, we don't stay beginners, so advanced stuff
                    gets discussed to. But beginners should always feel free to ask
                    questions, and that's still the focus of this list. Remember, 1000s of
                    students for each of us. We are all teachers.

                    But having said that, everyone should feel free to start new lists,
                    websites and so on :)

                    Cheers,
                    Peter

                  • Charles HOPE
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 3, 2005
                      Randolfe Wicker wrote:
                      The problem with starting a "beginners vloggers group" (which this is supposed to be) is that experienced and knowledgeable veterans who volunteer so much valuable advice here would probably not be very interested in such a group (with a few exceptions like Ryanne and Verdi).

                      I don't think the division should be there.  It should be more along lines like "compression", "servers", "tags", etc.

                      Sometimes when groups face these growing pains they adopt a set of tags that preface the subject headers, such as the ones you've suggested. Enforcing their usage is always loads of fun.

                    • Mat Wall-Smith
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 3, 2005
                        Content List  (following from discussions on Group Conv. And List Dynamics) Whatever happened to the ‘Content List’ does it still exist? Be good to see some more detailed discussion on format and content at a different ‘level’ than we normally get to here.
                        Or maybe there is another list on Granular/Distributed content development.... Adrian?

                        Of course the content list died for a reason...
                      • Deirdre Straughan
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 3, 2005
                          We do have two distinctly separate groups in technical terms, and rarely do the twain meet: Mac and Windows users. Though there are programs that exist and work identically on both platforms, none of us seems to be using them. So why not move the technical questions to separate vlogmac and vlogwin groups? There could then be another techy group titled something like vlogpost for issues around using various blog hosts, free hosts, and other distribution options, plus all the RSS stuff, which are probably closer to equal for both Mac and Windows. Dunno about Linux - anyone here vlogging in Linux?

                          There could be yet another group for the front-end capture discussions: cameras, video cellphones, sound, and related.

                          I would expect that everyone would still come first to the main group, both to find their way to the techy subgroups, and for more general/philosophical/"I'm here" kinds of discussions. But pressure would be much relieved if the techies can go off and do their thing and enjoy it without being distracted by all the "useless chatter."

                          Personally, I have the exact opposite problem from most of you: I'm fascinated by people's thoughts about vlogging, how they're using it, how they think it should be used, and how they would like to use it. (Among other reasons, it's part of my job to know this stuff.) On the other hand, I have settled into a shooting-and-posting routine that works for me and am mostly uninterested in the technical aspects (though I'm happy to answer questions when anything arises that I can help with, which is rare since I seem to be doing very much my own thing with Flash etc.).

                          --
                          best regards,
                          Deirdré Straughan

                          www.straughan.com (personal)
                          www.tvblob.com (work)
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 3, 2005
                            > Whatever happened to the 'Content List' does it still exist? Be good to see
                            > some more detailed discussion on format and content at a different 'level'
                            > than we normally get to here.

                            videoblogging_content@yahoogroups.com
                            its still there.
                            just unused.

                            i think talking about content is difficult unless people provide a
                            link to a video and then comment on it.
                            that wasnt happening before.

                            jay

                            --