Re: [videoblogging] Road Node Badge Design

  • Randolfe Wicker
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1 8:09 AM
      I like the design that Joel did very much.  However, I think he chose "elegance" over message insofar as the camera lens is not  "camera Lensie" enough to make it stand out as a distinct camera lens.  I am no artist and no designer.  I'm just someone who offers his honest opinion.  By making the camera lens in 101 more distinctly a camera lens, it seems to me that you make it more obvious that "Node 101" is about capturing things with a camera.
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1 8:37 AM
        Thursday, September 1, 2005, 4:09:01 PM, Randolfe Wicker wrote:

        > I like the design that Joel did very much. However, I think he
        > chose "elegance" over message insofar as the camera lens is not
        > "camera Lensie" enough to make it stand out as a distinct camera
        > lens. I am no artist and no designer. I'm just someone who offers
        > his honest opinion. By making the camera lens in 101 more
        > distinctly a camera lens, it seems to me that you make it more
        > obvious that "Node 101" is about capturing things with a camera.

        Just to echo that. When I first saw it I thought it was a car tyre -
        symbolic of the road trip.

        I'm not sure a camera lens is "iconic" enough. How about a
        TV/monitor screen? Maybe something a bit like:

        http://www.makevideo.org.uk/stills/road_node_frank.jpg

        Apologies for the sketchy nature of the image, but I hope you get the
        idea.

        --
        Frank Carver http://www.makevideo.org.uk
      • Verdi
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1 11:02 AM
          This is a response to an email on the Videoblogging list. I'm also
          posting this to the NODE101 list and encourage those who want to
          continue this discussion to sign up for that rather than replying on
          the videoblogging list.

          http://groups.google.com/group/NODE101

          On Aug 31, 2005, at 3:38 PM, Steve Watkins wrote:
          > I'm not convinced you can slow it down now, the node101 train has
          > already left the station.
          >
          > What sort of high-level concepts do we need to decide before enabling
          > node01 activities to commence?
          >
          > Theres loads that cpould be talked about, but what is the
          > organisational structure, is there any way in which people could
          > actually formally agree about high-level stuff anyway? eg who decides?
          > Is there a constitution that people vote for? Who decides what node101
          > can or cannot be? Any rules about income sources, sponsorship etc?

          Here's my take on what Josh is saying (Josh feel free to jump in and
          correct me). We didn't anticipate all of this excitement around this
          idea. I, for one, certainly don't want to dampen anyone's enthusiasm
          and I want people to know that I'm totally inspired by how people are
          off and running with all of this but I do want to be clear that we're
          still making all of this up. So here is some more info that should
          be known. What the formal relationship between the individual nodes
          and the NODE101 umbrella organization is, hasn't been decided. So
          how do we figure that out and who gets to decide? Good question. I
          think right now who gets to decide is me, Ryanne, Jay, Josh, Dave
          Toole, and Markus. How do we decide that?
          That's part of what our experiment is designed to help us learn.
          Also we want to hear from you - people who are excited about this
          project - how they think it could work and what kind of organization
          they would want to be a part of.

          Here's what are plan was/is around starting nodes (our experiment):
          We had this idea - NODE101. We though that it would be a great test
          of this idea to somehow set up a small number of nodes, connect them
          together, produce some results and learn some lessons. Two weeks ago
          I wrote an email to our little group in frustration that this idea
          seemed doable except for the money to pay people for their time. The
          key, I said, in the short term (weeks and months vs years) is to get
          corporate sponsorship to help "seed" our initial nodes. So this
          email I sent out was asking for help in this arena. One person that
          I sent it to was Dave Toole from Outhink. Not only did Dave commit
          to putting some of his own money into making this happen he also
          committed to help find those other corporate sponsors needed to get
          this experiment off the ground.

          The purpose of this experiment is to set some example of what we want
          to see nodes be like; learn how nodes can leverage the network to be
          more effective; provide proof that this is a viable and sustainable
          project; create interest in spreading this project; create interest
          and opportunities for funding an expansion of the project; and to
          figure out what works in terms of a structure. So our plan is to
          start nodes in San Antonio, New York, Ojai, and Silicon Valley and
          the experiment is figuring out how to make them sustainable,
          valuable, and useful to the community.

          I think it's kick ass that people want to start nodes all over the
          place! This is what we hoped and are counting on happening. I want
          and need people's ideas and feedback on how they think all of this
          could work - that's why I put up the wiki. I want people to consider
          how and where they could start a node. I want to develop an
          organization that works, that inspires people, that empowers people,
          and most of all makes a difference in the world. I want NODE101 to
          be able to help people start nodes - maybe even help fund them
          initially.

          So I'm babbling on and on here. Let me try to bottom line it. I
          think it's fucking fantastic for people to imagine and even test out
          nodes like Jan's Road Node. Just know that how all of this works and
          people's relationship to all of it is yet to be figured out. Maybe
          NODE101 will be a non-profit, maybe it will be a for-profit venture.
          Maybe each node will do their own thing, maybe there will be some
          minimum things that all nodes should do. These things are
          undecided. Let's talk about that. That why I started this list. I
          guess the real bottom line here is that I hope you trust that we have
          integrity such that you can feel comfortable playing with us even
          though all the rules have yet to be agreed upon.

          -Verdi
        • Randolfe Wicker
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 1 11:11 AM
            Frank, there is a Node 101 group which you might like to join.

            I think your design idea is most interesting.  I think I might want to drop an image in the TV screen of a person (perhaps a drawing) holding a small home camera with a wire leading to a big broadcasting tower in the background.

            But maybe, I'm getting too detailed.  However, tossing ideas out never hurts and might spark other ideas such as your suggestion of using the TV screen, etc.