copy protection in new windows version

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
      I have not been keeping up with with the group for the last few days, so, if this has already been posted, sorry.

      I have been reading JD Lasica's (founder of our media) book "Dark Net" with great interest, and, I just saw the following article about Windows new operating system and the unprecidented controls on what you can view and not view on your own computer.

      "Hollywood, Microsoft Align on New Windows"

      http://tinyurl.com/8m4m2

      ... I don't want to be overly dramatic (well, on the other hand, yeah I do), but, the stage is definately being set for science fiction reality show where the consumer will no longer own rights to any of the entertainment media on their own system, whether they buy it or not ...

      ... Richard

      --
      Richard
      http://www.richardshow.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
        Yeah I am about to deploy a beta copy of Vista so that I can muck around and test it a bit. I really like osme of the improvements coming in Vista, but on the other hand some of these "copy-protections" are getting out of hand.

        All that means is that the hackers will have to hack "PvP" out as well as the OOBE. *sigh*

        I'll let you knwo how the testing goes.

        Jay

        On 9/1/05, Richard <richardshow@...> wrote:
[...]

        Rss reader Fireant Internet directory
        Individual Free rss reader

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • Adrian Miles
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
          around the 1/9/05 Richard mentioned about [videoblogging] copy
          protection in new windows version that:
          >... I don't want to be overly dramatic (well, on the other hand,
          >yeah I do), but, the stage is definately being set for science
          >fiction reality show where the consumer will no longer own rights to
          >any of the entertainment media on their own system, whether they buy
          >it or not ...

          as Andreas pointed out here a while back, this is already the case
          with the iTunes music store. What you purchase is a licence to use.
          This is capital's response to digital technology where scarcity no
          longer exists - the logic of the market requires scarcity (otherwise
          how can it determine value?) and so invents a licencing scheme that,
          out of the ether, generates restrictions.

          --
          cheers
          Adrian Miles

          hypertext.RMIT