Re: How will vloggers differ from bloggers.

  • Gena
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
      The two offers you might be refering to are from Verizon and SBC.
      Verizon has a limit on 788k on cheap dsl but that is a permanent
      price. SBC rate is promotional and will jump back to the regular rate
      after 6 months.

      I'm in SBC land so Verizon is not an option for me - my understanding
      anyway. I don't like SBC/Yahoo. I am wary of their privacy policies
      and the service in general. Plus, you gotta ask yourself - what is
      coming down the road to motivate the low rates?

      Gena
      http://outonthestoop.blogspot.com
      ***************

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Kunga <kunga@f...> wrote:
      > Where are you? DSL in California is $14.95 a month. Have you
      checked
      > prices for broadband lately? They have plunged a lot in the past 3
      > months.
      > --
      > Taylor Barcroft
      > New Media Publisher, Editor, Video Journalist
      > Santa Cruz CA, Beach of the Silicon Valley
      > http://FutureMedia.org
      >
      > On Aug 31, 2005, at 10:31 PM, Gena wrote:
      >
      > > There I go, pulling down the curve. I'm older, cash impaired and
      still on dial-up.
    • Markus Sandy
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
        that's incorrect (it may be true for you, but not throughout the major
        California metro areas and certainly not in the rural areas)

        it goes at least as high as $79.95 for home DSL in some (non-rural)
        areas in CA
        there are still lots of places in California where there is still no DSL
        service (I'm talking citites here, not rural)
        there are even more places in California where you can't get DSL anymore
        (gone bye bye)
        some DSL providers are great, many are not

        the house i just moved into had a DSL line and modem working when we
        purchased
        when I went to order the service, PacBell said that they were no longer
        servicing that area (it was $39/month)
        they said that more people were using DSL now and so that the distances
        they could cover were shrinking
        they said that there were no plans to address this

        luckily there were alternatives:

        cable: $39/mo (plus another $16 because you NEED that high speed option
        - of course this is Adelphia - in chapter 11 - you can guess what kind
        of service you get)

        wireless DSL: $79/month (must buy equipment too - great local service,
        but slow speeds)

        a real PITA, but better than a telephone modem

        Kunga wrote:

        >Where are you? DSL in California is $14.95 a month. Have you checked
        >prices for broadband lately? They have plunged a lot in the past 3
        >months.

        http://apperceptions.org
        http://digitaldojo.blogspot.com
        http://spinflow.org
        http://wearethemedia.com
        http://www.corante.com/events/feedfest/

        aim/ichat: markus.sandy@...
        msn: msandy@...
        skype: msandy
        spin: markus@...
      • Kunga
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
          No Gena. It's a one year rate that you can renew at the same price
          after the year is up. And don't worry what they say. You will be able
          to renew at the same low rate. I even know people who refuse the
          contract and still get it for $14.95 a month. You are letting FEAR
          get in your way. If you can afford it, get SBC DSL Pro for $25 a
          month that runs twice as fast. I am very happy with the additional
          speed.

          You are shooting yourself in the foot big time by not jumping on that
          deal from SBC immediately Gena. Stop telling yourself why you don't
          want-can't have it and order it today. Stop thinking about what is
          coming next and get the bargain you can get NOW Gena.
          --

          On Sep 1, 2005, at 5:39 AM, Gena wrote:

          > SBC $14.95/month rate is promotional and will jump back to the
          > regular rate after 6 months.
        • Kunga
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
            Good to know. I should have figured they would play games with each
            market. But my point is that if she can get that rate for 6 months it
            is highly likely she will be able to renew at the same low price for
            the another 6 months. They do not really jack up the price at the end
            of a promotional price period. They simply offer you another contract
            for the same low price. You may have to phone and request it before
            your contract expires. Don't just let it expire without interaction
            with customer service. In that case they will jack up the price. But
            if you ASK for a low price renewal, my experience is, they will give
            it to you.

            Perfect example is in April they sent out an offer for DSL Pro for
            $29.95 a month. I was in the middle of a $27.95 for base DSL
            "contract". I phoned and they gave me the Pro for $29.95 right away -
            forget the contract. Then about a month or two later they started
            sending out promotional literature offering DSLPro for $25/month.
            First time I phoned to ask for the price reduction I was told it was
            only for new customers and only online. When I tried to order it
            online the web browser told me DSL wasn't available in my area. This
            was while I was using DSL Pro to get lower priced DSL Pro. So I
            phoned again after continuing to receive promotional literature about
            the lower price and said "I don't think it's fair for you to be
            hitting me with all this promotional literature for the lower price
            and not giving it to me because I took you up on your earlier offer
            for $30 a month b4 the price change. Rep left the phone to talk to
            super and came back with agreement to give me the lower price.

            Moral of the story is you can negotiate lower prices if you persevere
            and don't take no for an answer from the first customer rep. Ask for
            a supervisor. If they say no, call again another time and talk to a
            different supervisor. Rephrase your point of view to convince them to
            give you the lower price. Be charming not hostile.
            --

            On Sep 1, 2005, at 7:35 AM, Markus Sandy wrote:

            > that's incorrect (it may be true for you, but not throughout the major
            > California metro areas and certainly not in the rural areas)
            >
            > it goes at least as high as $79.95 for home DSL in some (non-rural)
            > areas in CA
            > there are still lots of places in California where there is still
            > no DSL
            > service (I'm talking citites here, not rural)
            > there are even more places in California where you can't get DSL
            > anymore
            > (gone bye bye)
            > some DSL providers are great, many are not
            >
            > Kunga wrote:
            >
            >> Where are you? DSL in California is $14.95 a month. Have you checked
            >> prices for broadband lately? They have plunged a lot in the past 3
            >> months.
          • Adrian Miles
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
              around the 1/9/05 Markus Sandy mentioned about Re: [videoblogging]
              Re: How will vloggers differ from blogg that:
              >that's incorrect (it may be true for you, but not throughout the major
              >California metro areas and certainly not in the rural areas)
              >
              >it goes at least as high as $79.95 for home DSL in some (non-rural)
              >areas in CA
              >there are still lots of places in California where there is still no DSL
              >service (I'm talking citites here, not rural)
              >there are even more places in California where you can't get DSL anymore
              >(gone bye bye)

              which is why I keep banging on about compression and bandwidth. It is
              bandwidth that costs, not storage, and your *viewers* are paying (a
              lot) for it. If you make 5 minute videos that are 20MG a pop, have 10
              in your RSS feed, then you *are* costing your viewers a non trivial
              amount of money.

              Bandwidth sustainability will be a key geopolitical issue, it
              certainly is right now in Australia except it isn't called that.
              --
              cheers
              Adrian Miles

              hypertext.RMIT
              <URL:http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vlog>
            • Joshua Kinberg
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
                > Bandwidth sustainability will be a key geopolitical issue, it
                > certainly is right now in Australia except it isn't called that.

                I agree with you. This is a real issue. What do they call it in Australia?
                Its not something that is much talked about in the US either. If it
                is, they usually call it something more general, like "falling behind
                in the digital divide" or something....

                -josh
              • Adrian Miles
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
                  around the 1/9/05 Joshua Kinberg mentioned about Re: [videoblogging]
                  Re: How will vloggers differ from blogg that:
                  >I agree with you. This is a real issue. What do they call it in Australia?
                  >Its not something that is much talked about in the US either. If it
                  >is, they usually call it something more general, like "falling behind
                  >in the digital divide" or something....

                  digital divide, but at the moment it is all about 'broadband for the
                  bush', country as big as USA, 20 million people - who is going to pay
                  so that people in the middle of nowhere get broadband at a reasonable
                  price? (It is called Universal Service Obligations, think postal
                  service, send a letter from anywhere in the country to anywhere else
                  for one price, the idea is that telecommunications should more or
                  less cost the same where ever you are. )