Re: [videoblogging] re: CafePress

  • Verdi
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005
      Hey Nick,
      Since you sell T-shirts... Is there any way for an individual to
      sell a t-shirt without a $500 - $1000 upfront investment? I'd love
      to sell a couple of designs and I've investigated CafePress and I'm
      sure I'd be disappointed with the quality. I just don't know of
      another option that I can afford.
      Thanks,

      --
      Verdi

      On Aug 31, 2005, at 11:00 PM, skullcrew webmaster wrote:

      > this is all I have to say to cafepress...
      > <url: http://www.angryshirts.com/index.asp?
      > PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=9 >
      >
      > nick
      > http://www.skullcrew.com
      > http://www.angryshirts.com

    • gerwalker
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005
        I used Cafe Press for a while on my worldrps.com site and got a lot
        of complaints about the quality, so we pulled the plug. Made great
        money using them but it was not worth it.

        Printing your own is also a huge hassle though as you are always
        running out of the size you need. We sell enough to make it worth our
        while but unless you are selling good quantities it can be rough going

        Graham Walker

        I've investigated CafePress and I'm
        > sure I'd be disappointed with the quality. I just don't know of
        > another option that I can afford.
        > Thanks,
        >
        > --
        > Verdi

      • Randolfe Wicker
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005
          Michael,

          T-shirts can be silk-screened and anyone in the graphic arts and silk-screening can make really nice shirts in limited numbers.

          A friend of mine is bringing me information about a place on St. Marks Place in NYC that can put any design on any shirt.  I'll pass along that information as soon as he arrives.

          I've been doing a lot of interviews with vendors at street fairs.  T-shirts are a popular item because they can be purchased quite cheaply.  The markup on them can be very good especially if you have just black printing.

          I've always been partial to buttons.  They can be gotten for much less investment.  One size fits all.  They are light and portable.  You can wear them on suits, topcoats, dresses, whatever.  They can be sold for $1-$2 each.  My first successful business was being an anti-war button merchant in the late 1960s.

          Investing a small amount in a cut of any design is well worth the money.  Also, you can use assorted day-glow backgrounds to create variety.  Lock pins are a must to keep them from falling off.
          Since you sell T-shirts...  Is there any way for an individual to
          sell a t-shirt without a $500 - $1000 upfront investment?  I'd love
          to sell a couple of designs and I've investigated CafePress and I'm
          sure I'd be disappointed with the quality.  I just don't know of
          another option that I can afford.
          Thanks,

          --
          Verdi

          On Aug 31, 2005, at 11:00 PM, skullcrew webmaster wrote:

          > this is all I have to say to cafepress...
          > <url: http://www.angryshirts.com/index.asp?
          > PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=9 >
          >
          > nick
          > http://www.skullcrew.com
          > http://www.angryshirts.com

        • skullcrew webmaster
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005
            I think the answer to your question would be....don't carry shirts.

            If you don't have enough hits/viewers/fans to buy your shirts why carry them? It is pointless to carry something of far less quality for the same price, if not more, as the good stuff just so you can have something to sell.

            I would encourage any small site to concentrate on content and making their site better. Do not worry about merchandise until you have lots and lots of fans.

            If you want to mess around and waste time and money with CafePress go ahead, but that is more time you are wasting away from making your site better and no one is going to buy your shirt if your site sucks.

            You could take pre-orders (if you have fans) for shirts on your site and when you get enough for an order, about 12 shirts, order them. It isn't that hard to do. That is the way I started my site in 2001. Sometimes you will know if you have fans if they are willing to put money down on a shirt that doesn't exist because they like you and your site.

            If you think I am full of shit then fine. I am sort of a experienced at this whole thing though, being that I have done if full time on the internet for 4 years. I have nothing to prove and this is just helpful advice if you choose to ignore it, good luck.

            thanks...

            nick

            p.s. you can get shirts made for much less than $500, I have done orders of 12 shirts for as low as $100.

            On Sep 1, 2005, at 7:09 AM, Verdi wrote:

            Hey Nick,
            Since you sell T-shirts...  Is there any way for an individual to
            sell a t-shirt without a $500 - $1000 upfront investment?  I'd love
            to sell a couple of designs and I've investigated CafePress and I'm
            sure I'd be disappointed with the quality.  I just don't know of
            another option that I can afford.
            Thanks,

            --
            Verdi

            On Aug 31, 2005, at 11:00 PM, skullcrew webmaster wrote:

            > this is all I have to say to cafepress...
            > <url: http://www.angryshirts.com/index.asp?
            > PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=9 >
            >
            > nick
            > http://www.skullcrew.com
            > http://www.angryshirts.com

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          • Markus Sandy
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005

              DIY!!!

              renegade posted a great silk screening tutorial during VideobloggingWeek2005

              http://videobloggingweek2005.blogspot.com/2005/05/day-1-part-1-day-2-part-2-day-3-part-3.html

              markus

              p.s. thanks ryanne! - i can not tell you how many times i make use of the great resource at http://videobloggingweek2005.blogspot.com

              Randolfe Wicker wrote:
              Michael,

              T-shirts can be silk-screened and anyone in the graphic arts and silk-screening can make really nice shirts in limited numbers.

              http://apperceptions.org
              http://digitaldojo.blogspot.com
              http://spinflow.org
              http://wearethemedia.com
              http://www.corante.com/events/feedfest/

              aim/ichat: markus.sandy@...
              msn: msandy@...
              skype: msandy
              spin: markus@...

            • LeanBackVids.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005
                http://www.printmojo.com/ is another solution. Below is the process
                listed on their site. I've heard that their quality is great, but you
                still have to throw down some cash for the inventory. It is not
                on-demand printing.

                How It Works
                - You create the design
                - You choose the products
                - You choose how much product you want
                - You choose the mark-up for your products

                What's more...
                - We print your products
                - We build and host your online store
                - We process your customer's orders
                - We warehouse and ship your products

                -Matt
                --------------------------------------
                http://www.leanbackvids.com/videoblog/
                http://www.vlogmap.org/blog/

                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Markus Sandy <markus@a...> wrote:

                > DIY!!!
                >
                > renegade posted a great silk screening tutorial during
                VideobloggingWeek2005

                http://videobloggingweek2005.blogspot.com/2005/05/day-1-part-1-day-2-part-2-day-3-part-3.html

                > markus
                >
                > p.s. thanks ryanne! - i can not tell you how many times i make use of
                > the great resource at http://videobloggingweek2005.blogspot.com
                >

                > Randolfe Wicker wrote:
                >
                > > Michael,
                > >
                > > T-shirts can be silk-screened and anyone in the graphic arts and
                > > silk-screening can make really nice shirts in limited numbers.
                > >

                > --
                >
                > My name is Markus Sandy and I am app.etitio.us
                >
                > http://apperceptions.org
                > http://digitaldojo.blogspot.com
                > http://spinflow.org
                > http://wearethemedia.com
                > http://www.corante.com/events/feedfest/
                >
                > aim/ichat: markus.sandy@m...
                > msn: msandy@a...
                > skype: msandy
                > spin: markus@a...
              • LeanBackVids.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005
                  By the way, I just bought a VlogMap shirt. When it arrives, I'll take
                  close-up pictures of their printing quality and let the group know if
                  it is worth it. Last time I purchased a shirt from cafepress, the
                  quality was not bad... it just is not the same as screen printing.

                  - Matt
                  --------------------------------------
                  http://www.leanbackvids.com/videoblog/
                  http://www.vlogmap.org/blog/
                • Devlon
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005
                    On 9/1/05, LeanBackVids.com <leanbackvids@...> wrote:
                    > By the way, I just bought a VlogMap shirt. When it arrives, I'll take
                    > close-up pictures of their printing quality and let the group know if
                    > it is worth it. Last time I purchased a shirt from cafepress, the
                    > quality was not bad... it just is not the same as screen printing.

                    This would be great. I was so close to grabbing a vlogmap tee, but
                    heard that it wasn't silk-screened on

                    --
                    ~Devlon
                    http://8bitme.blogspot.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 9, 2005
                      Well my cafepress shirt arrived a few days ago and here are some pics...

                      http://www.vlogmap.org/blog/2005/09/09/cafepress-quality/

                      -Matt