4 million potential vloggers in the US alone

  • Deirdre Straughan
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2005
      from http://www.parksassociates.com/press/press_releases/2005/gdl4.html

      Hollywood@Home

      Four million U.S. households are now using digital video cameras and editing software every month to create movies at home, with roughly 750,000 doing so on a weekly basis, according to Parks Associates' Global Digital Living.

      This project, a multinational study of consumer technology trends, found movie making is a growing niche market for technology products in the U.S. Recent high-profile examples of homemade movies, including Star Wars fan films and the theatrical release of My Date with Drew, should further fuel interest in digital video and drive the purchase and use of digital camcorders and video-editing software.

      "Home filmmaking is somewhat akin to gaming," said John Barrett, director of research for Parks Associates. "It requires a high-end computer with a considerable amount of storage, memory, and processing power. Apple is very strong in this market right now, but as it grows, I expect we'll see more efforts by Windows-based competitors to tap into the demand."

      The Global Digital Living project is a study of worldwide consumer technology trends. The project surveyed Internet households in thirteen nations: France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Canada, Taiwan, Japan, India, China, South Korea, Australia, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

      For additional information on Global Digital Living, visit http://www.parksassociates.com or contact 972-490-1113 or sales@....

      About Parks Associates: Parks Associates is a market research and consulting firm focused on all product and service segments that are "digital" or provide connectivity within the home. The company's expertise includes home networks, digital entertainment, consumer electronics, broadband and Internet services, and home systems.

      Founded in 1986, Parks Associates creates research capital for companies ranging from Fortune 500 to small start-ups through market reports, multiclient studies, consumer research, workshops, and custom-tailored client solutions. Parks Associates also hosts Fall Focus and co-hosts CONNECTIONS™ (in partnership with the Consumer Electronics Association) each year. www.parksassociates.com

      Subscribe to PARKS POINTS
      © 1998-2005 Parks Associates. All rights reserved  |  CONTACT PARKS 1-800-PARKS11 or 972-490-1113
          Design: FigDesign.com

      --
      best regards,
      Deirdré Straughan

      www.straughan.com (personal)
      www.tvblob.com (work)
    • Gena
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2005
        Let's see, 4 million potential vbloggers /1300 members =
        3076.9230769230769230769230769231 students per member.

        Yikes!

        Gena
        http://outonthestoop.blogspot.com
        ***************
        In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Deirdre Straughan
        <deirdre.straughan@g...> wrote:
        > from http://www.parksassociates.com/press/press_
        releases/2005/gdl4.html

        > Hollywood@Home
        >
        > Four million U.S. households are now using digital video cameras and
        editing > software every month to create movies at home, with roughly
        750,000 doing so on a weekly basis, according to Parks Associates' *
        Global Digital

        Living*™<http://www.parksassociates.com/resear
        ch/multiclients/global_multiclients.htm>
        > --
        > best regards,
        > Deirdré Straughan
        >
        > www.straughan.com <http://www.straughan.com> (personal)
        > www.tvblob.com <http://www.tvblob.com> (work)
      • Markus Sandy
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2005

          I had an interesting experience when Michael and Ryanne came out to San Francisco for BlogHer and MeetTheVloggers.

          We stopped at one of the main scenic photo stops on the Golden Gate Bridge (vloggers are great, they are really easy to entertain)

          I have never seen so many video cameras in my life (hundreds of people with cameras).

          I wondered "what are they doing with all that video?"

          I thought I should come back with freevlog brochures or hand-outs (I realized that there is probably a law against that on federal land)

          Would be a great place to be able to promote vlogging

          I guess we could go wear tee shirts and carry PSP's and get people to ask "what's a vlog?"

          Deirdre Straughan wrote:

          Hollywood@Home

          Four million U.S. households are now using digital video cameras and editing software every month to create movies at home, with roughly 750,000 doing so on a weekly basis, according to Parks Associates' Global Digital Living.

          http://apperceptions.org
          http://digitaldojo.blogspot.com
          http://spinflow.org
          http://wearethemedia.com
          http://www.corante.com/events/feedfest/

          aim/ichat: markus.sandy@...
          msn: msandy@...
          skype: msandy
          spin: markus@...

        • Markus Sandy
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2005
            let's get cracking!

            Actually, FWIW, many people are comparing this time period with that of
            other early adoption periods (the PC, the Internet, etc - aka "the wild
            west").

            In those two previous cases I and several colleagues taught extension
            courses through UC Santa Barbara and UCLA extension

            In fact, *each* of us did teach that many people over a period of
            several years

            most of these were all-day workshops or night courses (1 night/week for
            10 weeks)

            approximately 10% of the people who attended asked for some kind of
            consulting help

            most of the workshops were introductory in nature

            fyi, markus

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 1, 2005
              Someone needs to design a nice t-shirt and we need a catchy slogan.... "Vlog me, baby" ...? (don't take me too seriously right now - it's been a long day)

              --
              best regards,
              Deirdré Straughan

              www.straughan.com (personal)
              www.tvblob.com (work)
            • Randolfe Wicker
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 1, 2005
                The big difference between learning PC usage and how to access the Internet and vlogging is that vlogging is a self-perpetuating medium.  What Michael Verdi and others are doing at Freevlog means countless people can master vlogging without having to leave their house and find classes where they can learn.