Re: [videoblogging] Digest Number 1084

  • Josh Finn
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2005
      Also for Local New Orleans News streaming online check out

      WWL News  @   www.wwltv.com

      It looks like they are running it out of hotel room but they have up to date stuff.

      Josh Finn

      videoblogging@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      There are 11 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Re: Road Node Badge Design
      From: "Jan"
      2. Re: Re: Road Node Badge Design
      From: Michael Sullivan
      3. Re: WSDU New Orleans Live Streaming Video
      From: Andy Carvin
      4. Re: WSDU New Orleans Live Streaming Video
      From: Deirdre Straughan
      5. Re: Re: Road Node Badge Design
      From: Randolfe Wicker
      6. Re: WSDU New Orleans Live Streaming Video
      From: Andy Carvin
      7. Help please (Thanks)
      From: horace
      8. CafePress (Easy Promotional Products)
      From: "LeanBackVids.com"
      9. Re: If Bass Pro had a rss videofeed on bass fishing would you sign
      From: "Eric Rice"
      10. Re: WSDU New Orleans Live Streaming Video
      From: Anders Clerwall
      11. Re: Vlogger gets resigned
      From: Adrian Miles

      Message: 1
      Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 17:02:12 -0400
      From: "Jan"
      Subject: Re: Re: Road Node Badge Design

      Hey, Josh,

      This is nothing more than a commemorative badge for the Road Node 101 tour
      I'm originating. Something to share, trade.

      Are you suggesting it stop?

      Really?

      Jan

      --
      "It isn't done alone. Pay more."
      .
      Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 17:12:44 -0400
      From: Michael Sullivan

      I think Node101 is going to be more of a template that other nodes can use a
      framework and creatively expand upon.
      I dont know that Node101 (this name will get confusing as Node101 represents
      NYC) will be an official umbrella organization for all nodes but it may
      instead exist more to help facilitate various forms of support and
      resources.... an incubator of more seed nodes.

      Either way, i doubt it will matter if nodes use their own logos, names,
      slogans and methodologies.

      sull

      On 8/31/05, Joshua Kinberg wrote:

      > > I've already heard someone on this list refer to the Road Node as "Vlog
      > > Tour USA...")
      >
      > I would suggest that this road trip is more appropriately called "Vlog
      > Tour USA."
      >
      > In many ways we're still trying to figure out what Node101 actually *is*.
      >
      > Let's slow down a little here and think more high level about it
      > before we go planning road trips and designing logos carrying the
      > Node101 name.
      >
      > -Josh
      >

      > On 8/31/05, Philip Clark wrote:
      > > Hmm... that highway sign is such a distinctly American symbol. (Plus
      > > I've already heard someone on this list refer to the Road Node as "Vlog
      > > Tour USA...")
      > >
      > > I realize this is a U.S-centric movement but I think I might try to
      > > find something with a little more of a Canadian flavour for my own
      > > site... for example -
      > >
      > > < http://swordfight.org/images/roadnode-nhl.jpg >
      > >
      > > ;)
      > >
      > > xo philip
      > > http://swordfight.org
      > > http://hotaction.ca/destroy

      sull
      "The hybrid or the meeting of two media is a moment of truth and revelation
      from which new form is born"
      http://vlogdir.com - The Videoblog Directory
      http://videobloggers.org - Free Videoblog Hosting / Vlogosphere Aggregator
      http://interdigitate.com - on again off again personal vlog

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 3
      Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 17:23:11 -0400
      From: Andy Carvin
      Subject: Re: WSDU New Orleans Live Streaming Video

      Frankly, I don't think this has anything to do with this being an
      American disaster. If this had happened anywhere in the world, I'd
      expect videobloggers to rise to the occasion and work like hell to cover
      it as best as possible. I don't know how many hours of sleep I lost
      co-editing the tsunamihelp blog last January. If it's possible to help,
      even if it's just in a small way, then we need to do it.

      A major disaster is a major disaster, and I think we need to cut people
      some slack. The medium is at its best when it can actually make a
      difference. This is one of those moments.

      All of us who are covering the disaster have been very restrained in our
      posts, and I expect that will continue. So if you don't want to read
      something, please delete it. God knows I delete plenty of threads on
      this list. :-)

      ac

      --
      -----------------------------------
      Andy Carvin

      Message: 4
      Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 23:36:08 +0200
      From: Deirdre Straughan

      I have relatives, hopefully still alive, in New Orleans. I was born there
      (as was my father, my grandmother, and several generations of relatives
      before her), but have not been back there in 30 years. I will now never be
      able to go back to the city as it was.

      Is that close enough to home for me to care about this news?

      And, FWIW, I anxiously watched the tsunami for news of fellow alumni of the
      school I attended who might well have been affected. One family, Indians on
      vacation in Sri Lanka, was actually caught in it and separated from each
      other. Fortunately, they all found each other again after several days of
      searching hospitals, and none were seriously hurt.

      The world is very small. There is no point in weighing who has the bigger
      tragedy. We are all affected.

      --
      best regards,
      Deirdré Straughan

      www.straughan.com (personal)
      www.tvblob.com (work)

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 5
      Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 17:41:50 -0400
      From: Randolfe Wicker

      It is the idea that is important, not the terminology. I'm happy with any term and design. However, I personally think "Node 101" or "Road Node 101" is a bit obscure. Josh's suggestion of "Vlog Tour USA" or even "Vlog Tour 101" or "Vlogoshere 101" would better define what the object of all this is. Just my two cents.

      >> I've already heard someone on this list refer to the Road Node as "Vlog
      >> Tour USA...")
      >
      > I would suggest that this road trip is more appropriately called "Vlog
      > Tour USA."
      >
      > In many ways we're still trying to figure out what Node101 actually *is*.
      >
      > Let's slow down a little here and think more high level about it
      > before we go planning road trips and designing logos carrying the
      > Node101 name.
      >
      > -Josh

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 6
      Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 17:53:30 -0400
      From: Andy Carvin

      Thanks, Andrew... But the real credit needs to go to Troy and the other
      vloggers on the scene. I'm gonna focus on providing a platform for their
      work to as many people as possible, but they're the ones on the front
      lines making a real difference.

      Stay safe, guys.

      andy

      --
      -----------------------------------
      Andy Carvin
      Program Director
      EDC Center for Media & Community
      acarvin @ edc . org
      http://www.digitaldivide.net
      http://www.tsunami-info.org
      Blog: http://www.andycarvin.com
      -----------------------------------

      Message: 7
      Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 06:55:47 +0900
      From: horace
      Subject: Help please (Thanks)

      Thanks for the help,
      as for 3ivx or mpeg4, I am pretty sure I am using mpeg4
      I am following the advise on FreeVlog verbatim, using iMovie.
      perhaps is is just the size of most of my videos that they are too
      impatient to wait for them to load.
      Oh well,
      thanks,
      Horace
      http://horace2.blogspot.com/
      www.horacelong.com

      On Sep 1, 2005, at 1:50 AM, videoblogging@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 23:12:19 +1000
      > From: Adrian Miles
      > Subject: Re: HELP please
      >
      > around the 31/8/05 horace mentioned about [videoblogging] HELP please
      > that:
      >> I am having a lot of people tell me they can't see my videos on my
      >> blog. I use a mac, but check them at work on a pc and they work, but
      >> have had people on pc's using Firefox and the latest QT but still
      >
      > downloaded it. did you compress it using apple's mpeg4 codec or 3ivx?
      >
      > there are settings in 3ivx that will break it in qt player but will
      > work if you have 3ivx installed. they explain this on their web page
      > somewhere. if it is plain vanilla mpeg4 then should be fine.
      > --
      > cheers
      > Adrian Miles

      Message: 8
      Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:58:16 -0000
      From: "LeanBackVids.com"
      Subject: CafePress (Easy Promotional Products)

      I just setup a bunch of "shops" over at cafepress.com - it is really
      easy, but they only allow one design per basic shop. In order to get
      around this, I just framed their site... hopefully that doesn't break
      their "rules" (or at least they don't say anything).

      http://www.ostees.com/shop.php

      Note: it is on-demand printing using a heat transfer. This is not the
      same quality as screen printing, which is too expensive to manage.

      I've got some graphic design experience if anyone wants to email me
      offline with other ideas. Cafepress ends up making much more money
      than the "seller", but I'd be happy to split the dollar profit with you.

      -Matt
      --------------------------------------
      http://www.leanbackvids.com/videoblog/
      http://www.vlogmap.org/blog/

      Message: 9
      Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:57:43 -0000
      From: "Eric Rice"
      Subject: Re: If Bass Pro had a rss videofeed on bass fishing would you sign

      I've seen one person do something similar, where they added a blog to the web site (a
      fishing tour guide service) and THEN audioblogged on top of it to interview his customers
      from the river, also while providing commentary about lures and such. His business
      increased dramatically.

      I'm addicted to this and I have nothing to do with fishing.

      ER

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "strollingbones2" wrote:
      > > say you really love bass fishing and there it was a video feed on the
      > > tips and tricks of bass fishing done with rods and reel sold on the
      > > bass pro page.would you go back to the page to find the stuff you saw
      > > in the vid or would you never return because the where trying to make
      > > a buck, or maybe nascar,or a company newletter , what about a rss news
      > > feed for the sunday church service????
      >
      > I love fishing and am regular customer at BassProShops -- so why
      > wouldn't I subscribe to a videofeed of their tips and tricks?
      >
      > If it was dissapointing in anyway, I'd just unsubscribe... it's not
      > like giving them your e-mail address.
      >
      > Videoblogging won't be the domain of us early adopter purists types
      > for very much longer. Commercial and charitable institutions are going
      > to jump in the fun pretty soon.
      >
      > Eric
      > http://strollingbones.blogspot.com

      Message: 10
      Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 00:06:39 +0200
      From: Anders Clerwall

      On 8/31/05, Deirdre Straughan wrote:
      > I have relatives, hopefully still alive, in New Orleans. I was born there (as was my father, my grandmother, and several generations of relatives before her), but have not been back there in 30 years. I will now never be able to go back to the city as it was.
      >
      > Is that close enough to home for me to care about this news?

      Of course it is. That's what I meant with "local" events, even though
      I may have botched the language.

      > The world is very small. There is no point in weighing who has the bigger tragedy. We are all affected.

      That was not my intent, even though it may have looked that way.
      As I wrote before, I don't usually speak up about these things, and I
      probably have no right to do so anyway.
      But now I did, and I get to pay.
      Again, all I can say is "I'm sorry".

      And I sincerely hope that these kinds of things can be somehow
      prevented, or the effect of them at least lessened in some way, in the
      future.

      I will not reply to this thread again.

      But I will continue to read everything on this list (as I've done so
      far.. everything!) and continue to watch the reports on the aftermath.

      --
      Anders Clerwall
      vlog: http://randomshow.com/

      Message: 11