Narrowing Our View Of Video Blogging?

  • Gena
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 31, 2005
      I am becoming concerned about the implications of some of the threads
      (should vloggers mention info outside the realm of video blogging?)

      For those of us who have an interest in Citizen Journalism and
      Participatory Media this and any news story is our life blood.

      I don't want anyone to put their lives in jeopardy, but we can get at
      the story from place mainstream news can't. If we can help "tell the
      story" or even pass on the location of the stories that is our
      mission. If I had never heard of video blogging I could do no less
      then tell someone where to find info. That is in my DNA.

      When the major earth shaker happens here in California dang skippy I
      am gonna post or find a working power socket to let people know. There
      will be things happening that need to be shared. The same was true in
      Asia, Africa and anyplace that has Class A trouble.

      We are not just a technical group. Or just an ego booster. Or
      "Rah, yeah we have the power to vlog group." We can't
      talk about codecs and RSS all of the time. We are interlocked with
      real people. I do not want us to caste out our humanity.

      I would like some feedback on this. This is not to attack the others
      that feel we are stepping over the line. Maybe we are. Would help to
      know where the line is. I think it is fuzzy.

      My question is "What is the point of editing/not editing, recording,
      posting and distribution if we can't (and I am stressing this) in
      an emergency situation tell others about video sources?"

      Gena
      http://outonthestoop.blogspot.com
    • Richard Bennett-Forrest
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 31, 2005
        OK, so it was argued earlier, and I recently weighed in on the
        argument by joking about the poll. Maybe I shouldn't have done that.
        So let me be a little more specific about my view, especially since I
        don't come back to this group very often.

        I have two concerns. First is by all means talk about what Citizen
        Media means with respect to New Orleans, by all means discuss how
        vloggers are reporting the news, yes certainly post about techniques
        being used and problems being solved.

        But the actual material itself, and where to get it, is not for this
        group, that's what a videoblog is for. THIS IS A META GROUP FOR
        VIDEOBLOGGING, NOT A VIDEOBLOG. This group is here to help you report
        the news on your vlog, not to report it for you.

        There's news going on every day, inside and outside the U.S. Report
        it on your vlog if you feel it is worthy. Please don't report it here.

        My second concern is that this list is already way over what is
        easily managable from a volume perspective. Newcomers join the list,
        have time to read everything and learn, and then once they're up and
        running, have little time to read everything. I gave up reading about
        4 months ago, because there was so much of it. So do you think news
        about New Orleans, especially when not to do with videoblogging, is
        going to help this problem?

        Finally, here's the spiel which defines this group. Maybe it needs to
        be revisited, now we are almost 3/4 through 2005.

        > Videoblogging is taking off. We discuss practical issues
        >(bandwidth, process, need for a videoblogging tool) and more
        >philosophical issues (why and what is a videoblog? ...). Join the
        >conversation! A very good group has gathered here to make
        >videoblogging a reality. Creators and developers are equally welcome
        >and needed.

        Regards,
        Richard
      • Richard Bennett-Forrest
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 31, 2005
          I also should say that of course this is my view, and not necessarily
          that of Jay and the other owners of this group. :-)

          Regards,
          Richard

          Vlog: http://www.zipworld.com.au/~kashum
          Feed: http://www.zipworld.com.au/~kashum/rbf.pl?c=rss2.xml
        • Gena
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 31, 2005
            I respect what you have written. It makes sense. It just doesn't feel
            right to me.

            To your first point. If we treat this event like every other member
            post then none of us should post our URL's. It has become our custom
            to do so.

            My feeling is that this is an extension of the practics for this
            event. For a limited time I think we can lean toward assistance by
            sharing the links. After that then yes, there would be no reason to
            continue to do so. Folks do have the option of not reading the
            subject.

            To your second point. Yes, you are absolutely right about the volume
            of the posts. It is a huge amount of information. I finally had to
            learn to just skim the subjects to see if there were specific items I
            wanted to read. I think all of us that are time pressed are doing
            that. Or choosing just to read the most recent digests.
          • Gena
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 31, 2005
              No problem. I wanted honest opinions.

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Richard Bennett-Forrest
              <richardb@a...> wrote:
              > I also should say that of course this is my view, and not necessarily
              > that of Jay and the other owners of this group. :-)
              >
              > Regards,
              > Richard
              >
              > Vlog: http://www.zipworld.com.au/~kashum
              > Feed: http://www.zipworld.com.au/~kashum/rbf.pl?c=rss2.xml
            • t.whid
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 31, 2005
                I'm a bit of a noob here and not even a videoblogger, but what the
                hell, here's my 2¢

                below:

                <richardb@a...> wrote:
                > OK, so it was argued earlier, and I recently weighed in on the
                > argument by joking about the poll. Maybe I shouldn't have done
                that.
                > So let me be a little more specific about my view, especially since
                > don't come back to this group very often.
                >
                > I have two concerns. First is by all means talk about what Citizen
                > Media means with respect to New Orleans, by all means discuss how
                > vloggers are reporting the news, yes certainly post about
                techniques
                > being used and problems being solved.
                >
                > But the actual material itself, and where to get it, is not for
                this
                > group, that's what a videoblog is for. THIS IS A META GROUP FOR
                > VIDEOBLOGGING, NOT A VIDEOBLOG. This group is here to help you
                report
                > the news on your vlog, not to report it for you.

                Wasn't this discussion started because of someone posting links to
                streaming media re:
                the disaster in NO and environs? I'll assume it was. Couldn't one
                construe the sharing of
                this link as information to help a citizen journalist blog? If
                someone asked how to
                transcode streaming video to a format for downloading that would be
                OK? But supplying
                links to relevant material isn't? Seems an arbitrary distinction to
                me.

                If I'm wrong regarding the streaming link feel free to ignore with
                extreme prejudice. If it
                was someone posting links to charities or news stories -- then yeah,
                stop that :-)

                <snip>

                > > Videoblogging is taking off. We discuss practical issues
                > >(bandwidth, process, need for a videoblogging tool) and more
                > >philosophical issues (why and what is a videoblog? ...). Join the
                > >conversation! A very good group has gathered here to make
                > >videoblogging a reality. Creators and developers are equally
                welcome
                > >and needed.
              • Michael Sullivan
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 31, 2005
                  - - - - B A L A N C E - - - - is what it's all about.
                  avoid overkill and there is little to be concerned with.
                  regarding Katrina, posting a link to a related blog or 2 in one message would be preferred rather than seeing several messages here.

                  sull

                       http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  --
                  sull
                  "The hybrid or the meeting of two media is a moment of truth and revelation from which new form is born"
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 31, 2005
                    Well put. What's your URL Richard?
                    --
                    Taylor Barcroft
                    New Media Publisher, Editor, Video Journalist

                    On Aug 31, 2005, at 6:49 PM, Richard Bennett-Forrest wrote:

                    > Finally, here's the spiel which defines this group. Maybe it needs to
                    > be revisited, now we are almost 3/4 through 2005.
                    >

                    >> Videoblogging is taking off. We discuss practical issues
                    >> (bandwidth, process, need for a videoblogging tool) and more
                    >> philosophical issues (why and what is a videoblog? ...). Join the
                    >> conversation! A very good group has gathered here to make
                    >> videoblogging a reality. Creators and developers are equally welcome
                    >> and needed.
                    >>

                    > Regards,
                    > Richard
                  • Adrian Miles
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 31, 2005
                      around the 1/9/05 Gena mentioned about [videoblogging] Narrowing Our
                      View Of Video Blogging? that:

                      >When the major earth shaker happens here in California dang skippy I
                      >am gonna post or find a working power socket to let people know. There
                      >will be things happening that need to be shared. The same was true in
                      >Asia, Africa and anyplace that has Class A trouble.

                      yes, and you're going to let the world know through your videoblog.
                      This is not really the forum for citizen journalism posts about your
                      citizen journalism piece. It is the forum for stuff to do with
                      videoblogging.

                      I'm not disagreeing, but I am saying that if you wanted to tell the
                      world about the earthquake via your videoblog then that's what your
                      videoblog is for. Certainly I would encourage you to post here saying
                      this blog at this url will have stuff. But that's enough, and that is
                      certainly enough to meet what you say above - disseminate the fact
                      that there's an information source available.

                      around the 1/9/05 Gena mentioned about [videoblogging] Narrowing Our
                      View Of Video Blogging? that:
                      >My question is "What is the point of editing/not editing, recording,
                      >posting and distribution if we can't (and I am stressing this) in
                      >an emergency situation tell others about video sources?"

                      Who's emergency? I think the bigger emergency is what is going on in
                      Zimbabwe right now, I don't have any video about it, but even if I
                      did I don't think this is the place for me to publish/post/discuss it.
                      --
                      cheers
                      Adrian Miles

                      hypertext.RMIT
                      <URL:http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vlog>
                    • Kunga
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 31, 2005
                        I can see how the management of acquiring, editing-or not- and
                        posting asap about what's going on in Katrinaland would be valuable
                        to the group. In that spirit I agree with you Gena that the group
                        should consider making an exception with regard to Katrina specific
                        URLs and notifications of posts. Perhaps the best way to deal with
                        that would be to have a thread called "Katrina" that all Katrina
                        related activities could post to. That way those who don't want
                        anything to do with this subject can easily ignore the string.

                        --

                        On Aug 31, 2005, at 7:12 PM, Gena wrote:

                        > My feeling is that this is an extension of the practics for this
                        > event. For a limited time I think we can lean toward assistance by
                        > sharing the links. After that then yes, there would be no reason to
                        > continue to do so.
                      • Gena
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 31, 2005
                          Okay, this is what I am hearing/perceiving/reading:

                          The preference is to post videoblogging information and related topics
                          to this group. If you want to talk about using the tools of vlogging
                          to cover the event fine but, if you want to talk about the event -
                          personal video blog and no citation here.

                          I am also getting a sense from folks outside America that the U.S.
                          videobloggers need to remember that this is an international group.
                          Stuff is happening all over the planet. Unless it is directly related
                          to vlogging post it on your blog. If it is an "high profile event" one
                          or two citations would be tolerated.

                          I liked what Michael said about balance. I can go for that.

                          I understand better the concerns of other members better. Not easy
                          stuff but it has to be figured out cuz more is coming down the road. I
                          still want to lean on the side of compassion.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
                            around the 1/9/05 Gena mentioned about [videoblogging] Re: Narrowing
                            Our View Of Video Blogging? that:
                            >Okay, this is what I am hearing/perceiving/reading:
                            >
                            >The preference is to post videoblogging information and related topics
                            >to this group. If you want to talk about using the tools of vlogging
                            >to cover the event fine but, if you want to talk about the event -
                            >personal video blog and no citation here.
                            >
                            >I am also getting a sense from folks outside America that the U.S.
                            >videobloggers need to remember that this is an international group.
                            >Stuff is happening all over the planet. Unless it is directly related
                            >to vlogging post it on your blog. If it is an "high profile event" one
                            >or two citations would be tolerated.
                            >
                            >I liked what Michael said about balance. I can go for that.
                            >
                            >I understand better the concerns of other members better. Not easy
                            >stuff but it has to be figured out cuz more is coming down the road. I
                            >still want to lean on the side of compassion.

                            contradicting myself I guess, but this is well put Gena.
                            --
                            cheers
                            Adrian Miles

                            hypertext.RMIT
                            <URL:http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vlog>
                          • Markus Sandy
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
                              why not set up a wiki?

                              Gena wrote:

                              >My feeling is that this is an extension of the practics for this
                              >event. For a limited time I think we can lean toward assistance by
                              >sharing the links. After that then yes, there would be no reason to
                              >continue to do so.

                              http://apperceptions.org
                              http://digitaldojo.blogspot.com
                              http://spinflow.org
                              http://wearethemedia.com
                              http://www.corante.com/events/feedfest/

                              aim/ichat: markus.sandy@...
                              msn: msandy@...
                              skype: msandy
                              spin: markus@...
                            • Markus Sandy
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
                                Gena wrote:

                                >My question is "What is the point of editing/not editing, recording,
                                >posting and distribution if we can't (and I am stressing this) in
                                >an emergency situation tell others about video sources?"

                                with respect Gena, but wouldn't one obvious answer be

                                "In order to make content for your own vlog"

                                It seems to me that video sources is a great subject to blog or vlog
                                about. (on *your* vlog)

                                markus

                                http://apperceptions.org
                                http://digitaldojo.blogspot.com
                                http://spinflow.org
                                http://wearethemedia.com
                                http://www.corante.com/events/feedfest/

                                aim/ichat: markus.sandy@...
                                msn: msandy@...
                                skype: msandy
                                spin: markus@...
                              • Adam Quirk
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
                                  Perhaps the best way to deal with
                                  that would be to have a thread called "Katrina" that all Katrina
                                  related activities could post to. That way those who don't want
                                  anything to do with this subject can easily ignore the string.

                                  That would absolutely be the best way to do it, but since many people don't understand threading, and post new topics hilly-nilly, it probably won't happen.

                                  Balance is key, like Sull says.  I'm still trying to find mine after 9 months here.  I'm in the development stages of a breathalyzer that attaches to my laptop.

                                  Welcome back Richard BF!  Glad to see ya.

                                  --
                                  _____ Quirk
                                  _____ Bullemhead.com/adam.html
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 1, 2005
                                    Funny you should mention that just as I posted a tutorial on the
                                    subject with a NEW THREAD NAME.