re: CafePress

  • Nerissa (TheVideoQueen)
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 31, 2005
      CafePress has free shops which allows for one design per product--which means you can have several products with a different design each. (Yes, it's weird)
      Their "premium" shops cost 6.95 month. This allows for one design to be the same products as other designs within your shop.

      And yes, Cafepress makes most money from each sale because they provide the shop, take the money, make the product and ship the order and deal with customer returns etc. BUT you'll notice that they have a sliding scale for their percentage. The more you sell, the lower percentage of each sale they take. And it doesn't take much to earn a couple bucks more per product--something like, if you sell 8 items a month, the shop owner walks away with a larger percentage of the sales than when the shop owner only sells 5 items a month.

      In the biz video blogging group we talked about how this free service (cafepress and others) could and should be easily implemented onto every video blogger's site to help make money AND promote yourself at the same time.  And it's definitely something the larger service providers in this group should do for sure. It's a win-win-win situation.

      Nerissa

      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      I just setup a bunch of "shops" over at cafepress.com - it is really
      easy, but they only allow one design per basic shop.  In order to get
      around this, I just framed their site... hopefully that doesn't break
      their "rules" (or at least they don't say anything).

      http://www.ostees.com/shop.php

      Note: it is on-demand printing using a heat transfer.  This is not the
      same quality as screen printing, which is too expensive to manage.

      I've got some graphic design experience if anyone wants to email me
      offline with other ideas.  Cafepress ends up making much more money
      than the "seller", but I'd be happy to split the dollar profit with
      you.

      -Matt
      --------------------------------------
      http://www.leanbackvids.com/videoblog/
      http://www.vlogmap.org/blog/

      ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
      Nerissa Oden

      http://TheVideoQueen.com/blog.html
      http://FreeVideoEditing.com
      http://FreeMediaGuide.com

      Where do Women get answers to their video questions?

      Do you blog for your business?

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • David Holliday
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 31, 2005
        Hello. I like cafepress.com
        I setup a sit a few weeks ago, just kinda playing
        around with it,
        http://www.cafepress.com/e2bstuff
        thanks for the info.
        look at these sites, sa,e business model,
        books http://www.lulu.com/
        music http://www.cdbaby.com/

        --- "Nerissa (TheVideoQueen)" <wfndfan@...>

      • skullcrew webmaster
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 31, 2005
          Lets spam some more cafepress crap....

          this is all I have to say to cafepress...

          nick

          wrote:

          > CafePress has free shops which allows for one design
          > per product--which means you can have several
          > products with a different design each. (Yes, it's
          > weird)
          > Their "premium" shops cost 6.95 month. This allows
          > for one design to be the same products as other
          > designs within your shop.

          > And yes, Cafepress makes most money from each sale
          > because they provide the shop, take the money, make
          > the product and ship the order and deal with
          > customer returns etc. BUT you'll notice that they
          > have a sliding scale for their percentage. The more
          > you sell, the lower percentage of each sale they
          > take. And it doesn't take much to earn a couple
          > bucks more per product--something like, if you sell
          > 8 items a month, the shop owner walks away with a
          > larger percentage of the sales than when the shop
          > owner only sells 5 items a month.

          > In the biz video blogging group we talked about how
          > this free service (cafepress and others) could and
          > should be easily implemented onto every video
          > blogger's site to help make money AND promote
          > yourself at the same time.  And it's definitely
          > something the larger service providers in this group
          > should do for sure. It's a win-win-win situation.

          > Nerissa

          > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
          > I just setup a bunch of "shops" over at
          > cafepress.com - it is really
          > easy, but they only allow one design per basic shop.
          >  In order to get
          > around this, I just framed their site... hopefully
          > that doesn't break
          > their "rules" (or at least they don't say anything).
          >
          > http://www.ostees.com/shop.php
          >
          > Note: it is on-demand printing using a heat
          > transfer.  This is not the
          > same quality as screen printing, which is too
          > expensive to manage.
          >
          > I've got some graphic design experience if anyone
          > wants to email me
          > offline with other ideas.  Cafepress ends up making
          > much more money
          > than the "seller", but I'd be happy to split the
          > dollar profit with
          > you.
          >
          > -Matt
          > --------------------------------------
          > http://www.leanbackvids.com/videoblog/
          > http://www.vlogmap.org/blog/
          >

          > ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
          > Nerissa Oden
          >
          > http://TheVideoQueen.com/blog.html
          > http://FreeVideoEditing.com
          > http://FreeMediaGuide.com
          >
          > Where do Women get answers to their video questions?
          >
          > Do you blog for your business?
          http://mail.yahoo.com

          Rss reader Fireant Internet directory
          Individual Free rss reader

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        • skullcrew webmaster

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005
              Hey Nick,
              Since you sell T-shirts... Is there any way for an individual to
              sell a t-shirt without a $500 - $1000 upfront investment? I'd love
              to sell a couple of designs and I've investigated CafePress and I'm
              sure I'd be disappointed with the quality. I just don't know of
              another option that I can afford.
              Thanks,

              --
              Verdi

              On Aug 31, 2005, at 11:00 PM, skullcrew webmaster wrote:

              > this is all I have to say to cafepress...
              > <url: http://www.angryshirts.com/index.asp?
              > PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=9 >
              >
              > nick
              > http://www.skullcrew.com
              > http://www.angryshirts.com

            • gerwalker
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005
                I used Cafe Press for a while on my worldrps.com site and got a lot
                of complaints about the quality, so we pulled the plug. Made great
                money using them but it was not worth it.

                Printing your own is also a huge hassle though as you are always
                running out of the size you need. We sell enough to make it worth our
                while but unless you are selling good quantities it can be rough going

                Graham Walker

                I've investigated CafePress and I'm
                > sure I'd be disappointed with the quality. I just don't know of
                > another option that I can afford.
                > Thanks,
                >
                > --
                > Verdi

              • Randolfe Wicker
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005
                  Michael,

                  T-shirts can be silk-screened and anyone in the graphic arts and silk-screening can make really nice shirts in limited numbers.

                  A friend of mine is bringing me information about a place on St. Marks Place in NYC that can put any design on any shirt.  I'll pass along that information as soon as he arrives.

                  I've been doing a lot of interviews with vendors at street fairs.  T-shirts are a popular item because they can be purchased quite cheaply.  The markup on them can be very good especially if you have just black printing.

                  I've always been partial to buttons.  They can be gotten for much less investment.  One size fits all.  They are light and portable.  You can wear them on suits, topcoats, dresses, whatever.  They can be sold for $1-$2 each.  My first successful business was being an anti-war button merchant in the late 1960s.

                  Investing a small amount in a cut of any design is well worth the money.  Also, you can use assorted day-glow backgrounds to create variety.  Lock pins are a must to keep them from falling off.
                  Since you sell T-shirts...  Is there any way for an individual to
                  sell a t-shirt without a $500 - $1000 upfront investment?  I'd love
                  to sell a couple of designs and I've investigated CafePress and I'm
                  sure I'd be disappointed with the quality.  I just don't know of
                  another option that I can afford.
                  Thanks,

                  --
                  Verdi

                  On Aug 31, 2005, at 11:00 PM, skullcrew webmaster wrote:

                  > this is all I have to say to cafepress...
                  > <url: http://www.angryshirts.com/index.asp?
                  > PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=9 >
                  >
                  > nick
                  > http://www.skullcrew.com
                  > http://www.angryshirts.com

                • skullcrew webmaster
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005
                    I think the answer to your question would be....don't carry shirts.

                    If you don't have enough hits/viewers/fans to buy your shirts why carry them? It is pointless to carry something of far less quality for the same price, if not more, as the good stuff just so you can have something to sell.

                    I would encourage any small site to concentrate on content and making their site better. Do not worry about merchandise until you have lots and lots of fans.

                    If you want to mess around and waste time and money with CafePress go ahead, but that is more time you are wasting away from making your site better and no one is going to buy your shirt if your site sucks.

                    You could take pre-orders (if you have fans) for shirts on your site and when you get enough for an order, about 12 shirts, order them. It isn't that hard to do. That is the way I started my site in 2001. Sometimes you will know if you have fans if they are willing to put money down on a shirt that doesn't exist because they like you and your site.

                    If you think I am full of shit then fine. I am sort of a experienced at this whole thing though, being that I have done if full time on the internet for 4 years. I have nothing to prove and this is just helpful advice if you choose to ignore it, good luck.

                    thanks...

                    nick

                    p.s. you can get shirts made for much less than $500, I have done orders of 12 shirts for as low as $100.

                    On Sep 1, 2005, at 7:09 AM, Verdi wrote:

                    Hey Nick,
                    Since you sell T-shirts...  Is there any way for an individual to
                    sell a t-shirt without a $500 - $1000 upfront investment?  I'd love
                    to sell a couple of designs and I've investigated CafePress and I'm
                    sure I'd be disappointed with the quality.  I just don't know of
                    another option that I can afford.
                    Thanks,

                    --
                    Verdi

                    On Aug 31, 2005, at 11:00 PM, skullcrew webmaster wrote:

                    > this is all I have to say to cafepress...
                    > <url: http://www.angryshirts.com/index.asp?
                    > PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=9 >
                    >
                    > nick
                    > http://www.skullcrew.com
                    > http://www.angryshirts.com

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  • Markus Sandy
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005

                      DIY!!!

                      renegade posted a great silk screening tutorial during VideobloggingWeek2005

                      http://videobloggingweek2005.blogspot.com/2005/05/day-1-part-1-day-2-part-2-day-3-part-3.html

                      markus

                      p.s. thanks ryanne! - i can not tell you how many times i make use of the great resource at http://videobloggingweek2005.blogspot.com

                      Randolfe Wicker wrote:
                      Michael,

                      T-shirts can be silk-screened and anyone in the graphic arts and silk-screening can make really nice shirts in limited numbers.

                      http://apperceptions.org
                      http://digitaldojo.blogspot.com
                      http://spinflow.org
                      http://wearethemedia.com
                      http://www.corante.com/events/feedfest/

                      aim/ichat: markus.sandy@...
                      msn: msandy@...
                      skype: msandy
                      spin: markus@...

                    • LeanBackVids.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005
                        http://www.printmojo.com/ is another solution. Below is the process
                        listed on their site. I've heard that their quality is great, but you
                        still have to throw down some cash for the inventory. It is not
                        on-demand printing.

                        How It Works
                        - You create the design
                        - You choose the products
                        - You choose how much product you want
                        - You choose the mark-up for your products

                        What's more...
                        - We print your products
                        - We build and host your online store
                        - We process your customer's orders
                        - We warehouse and ship your products

                        -Matt
                        --------------------------------------

                        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Markus Sandy <markus@a...> wrote:

                        > DIY!!!
                        >
                        > renegade posted a great silk screening tutorial during
                        VideobloggingWeek2005

                        http://videobloggingweek2005.blogspot.com/2005/05/day-1-part-1-day-2-part-2-day-3-part-3.html

                        > markus
                        >
                        > p.s. thanks ryanne! - i can not tell you how many times i make use of
                        > the great resource at http://videobloggingweek2005.blogspot.com
                        >

                        > Randolfe Wicker wrote:
                        >
                        > > Michael,
                        > >
                        > > T-shirts can be silk-screened and anyone in the graphic arts and
                        > > silk-screening can make really nice shirts in limited numbers.
                        > >

                        > --
                        >
                        > My name is Markus Sandy and I am app.etitio.us
                        >
                        > http://apperceptions.org
                        > http://digitaldojo.blogspot.com
                        > http://spinflow.org
                        > http://wearethemedia.com
                        > http://www.corante.com/events/feedfest/
                        >
                        > aim/ichat: markus.sandy@m...
                        > msn: msandy@a...
                        > skype: msandy
                        > spin: markus@a...
                      • LeanBackVids.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005
                          By the way, I just bought a VlogMap shirt. When it arrives, I'll take
                          close-up pictures of their printing quality and let the group know if
                          it is worth it. Last time I purchased a shirt from cafepress, the
                          quality was not bad... it just is not the same as screen printing.

                          - Matt
                          --------------------------------------
                          http://www.leanbackvids.com/videoblog/
                          http://www.vlogmap.org/blog/
                        • Devlon
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005
                            On 9/1/05, LeanBackVids.com <leanbackvids@...> wrote:
                            > By the way, I just bought a VlogMap shirt. When it arrives, I'll take
                            > close-up pictures of their printing quality and let the group know if
                            > it is worth it. Last time I purchased a shirt from cafepress, the
                            > quality was not bad... it just is not the same as screen printing.

                            This would be great. I was so close to grabbing a vlogmap tee, but
                            heard that it wasn't silk-screened on

                            --
                            ~Devlon
                            http://8bitme.blogspot.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 9, 2005
                              Well my cafepress shirt arrived a few days ago and here are some pics...

                              http://www.vlogmap.org/blog/2005/09/09/cafepress-quality/

                              -Matt