Excuse me?!?!

  • courtwms777
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2004
      Whoa Nelly! I just found this bit on http://abovetopsecret.com:

      "Former CIA Director George J. Tenet yesterday called for new
      security measures to guard against attacks on the United States that
      use the Internet, which he called "a potential Achilles' heel."

      The way the Internet was built might be part of the problem, he said.
      Its open architecture allows Web surfing, but that openness makes the
      system vulnerable, Mr. Tenet said.

      Access to networks like the World Wide Web might need to be limited
      to those who can show they take security seriously, he said."

      WHAT?!?!?

      Here's the link to the full article:
      http://www.washingtontimes.com/functions/print.php?StoryID=20041201-
      114750-6381r

      OMG! I sure *hope* the Government doesn't try to take it over. We'd
      be one step away from Iran...

      Oh, wait... I suppose this is already "old" news... and that
      Rocketboom beat me to the punch (again) 2 days ago... ;-)

      Courtney
      (I really find this scary! Plus, I was leary that 'they' were going
      to put a Policeman in the National Security position being vacated by
      Tom Ridge.. and what happens? I wake up this a.m. to the news that
      indeed the Police Chief on duty during 9/11 has been appointed. Uh
      oh. Police State in the event of another terrorist attack. We're
      surrounded! Get out your video cams and hit the pavement, all ye
      citizen reporters & get the dirt!)
    • Eric Botticelli
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 2004
        > Here's the link to the full article:
        > http://www.washingtontimes.com/functions/print.php?StoryID=20041201-
        > 114750-6381r

        that link didn't work for me. here's the story:

        Tenet calls for Internet security
        By Shaun Waterman
        UNITED PRESS INTERNATIONAL
        Published December 2, 2004
        Former CIA Director George J. Tenet yesterday called for new security
        measures to guard against attacks on the United States that use the
        Internet, which he called "a potential Achilles' heel."
        "I know that these actions will be controversial in this age when
        we still think the Internet is a free and open society with no control
        or accountability," he told an information-technology security
        conference in Washington, "but ultimately the Wild West must give way
        to governance and control."
        The former CIA director said telecommunications -- and
        specifically the Internet -- are a back door through which terrorists
        and other enemies of the United States could attack the country, even
        though great strides have been made in securing the physical
        infrastructure.
        The Internet "represents a potential Achilles' heel for our
        financial stability and physical security if the networks we are
        creating are not protected," Mr. Tenet said.
        He said known adversaries, including "intelligence services,
        military organizations and non-state actors," are researching
        information attacks against the United States.
        Within the federal government, the Department of Homeland Security
        has the lead role in protecting the Internet from terrorism. But the
        department's head of cyber-security recently quit amid reports that he
        had clashed with his superiors.
        Mr. Tenet, who retired in July as director of the CIA after seven
        years, warned that al Qaeda remains a sophisticated group, even though
        its first-tier leadership largely has been destroyed.
        It is "undoubtedly mapping vulnerabilities and weaknesses in our
        telecommunications networks," he said.
        Mr. Tenet pointed out that the modernization of key industries in
        the United States is making them more vulnerable by connecting them
        with an Internet that is open to attack.
        The way the Internet was built might be part of the problem, he
        said. Its open architecture allows Web surfing, but that openness makes
        the system vulnerable, Mr. Tenet said.
        Access to networks like the World Wide Web might need to be
        limited to those who can show they take security seriously, he said.
        Mr. Tenet called for industry to lead the way by "establishing and
        enforcing" security standards. Products need to be delivered to
        government and private-sector customers "with a new level of security
        and risk management already built in."
        The national press, including United Press International (UPI),
        were excluded from yesterday's event, at Mr. Tenet's request,
        organizers said.
      • Eric Botticelli
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 2004
          > OMG! I sure *hope* the Government doesn't try to take it over. We'd
          > be one step away from Iran...
          >
          > Oh, wait... I suppose this is already "old" news... and that
          > Rocketboom beat me to the punch (again) 2 days ago... ;-)

          Yeah, this kind of stuff is bound to occur with the internet. Once it
          starts making money (think Dean) for people, people who have money and
          power will attempt to use it to their advantage... maximize profits at
          most costs.

          It happened to radio, the newspaper, and the television.

          Anyone who cares about the internet must prepare for a never ceasing
          fight to keep it free.

          Don't us forget, The price of liberty is eternal vigilance.
        • Michael Manoochehri
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 3, 2004
            > > OMG! I sure *hope* the Government doesn't try to take it over. We'd
            > > be one step away from Iran...

            Ha ha ha! As an Iranian-American, I would like to say this: Defend your
            freedoms on the Web at all cost! Don't give an inch, and don't let
            anyone take away your right to free speech. And fight work toward
            peace. :-)

            Blog blog blog!!!

            Michael Manoochehri
            michael@...
            http://www.m3blog.com
          • Joshua Kinberg
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 4, 2004
              http://www.blogtorrent.com/

              If you haven't yet checked out Blog Torrent, it really simplifies the
              whole process of using BitTorrent. If you're on a PC its very easy to
              create and seed torrents (so I'm told, but I'm a mac user).

              For Mac users, you still get their really easy-to-use Torrent Tracker
              (which is like a BitTorrent server). You upload this Tracker to a
              folder on your website and you can begin hosting Torrents. Here's the
              process for mac users once you've got your Tracker uploaded:
              1. Create a .torrent using your BitTorrent client and point it to your Tracker.
              2. Upload the .torrent to your Tracker using the Blog Torrent upload form.
              3. "Seed" your .torrent by starting a download to the same location
              where it already exists on your computer (because you already have the
              complete file, BitTorrent will not download anything, but instead
              begin uploading the file to any connected peers -- this is called
              "seeding").
              4. Leave your BitTorrent client open to continue seeding. If there are
              no seeders, no one will be able to download the file.

              So why is this good? First off, it solves the issue of having to host
              large files on your webserver. As many of you may have already found,
              you can run out of server space rather quickly. Secondly, it helps
              alleviate bandwidth issues -- i.e. if a lot of people suddenly begin
              downloading or watching your video, you will quickly exceed your
              allotted transfer banndwidth and might be charged additional fees from
              your hosting provider. With BitTorrent, this is not a problem because
              the video is not actaully hosted on your server.

              Here's another reason to use this tracker -- it comes with a built-in
              RSS feed with enclosures!

              This is a big deal!

              --Josh
            • Andrew Baron
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 4, 2004
                If anyone is interested, I got Blogtorrent installed last night, but
                still don't have the seeder working because I need to install it on my
                home server, I think. Hopefully I'll have torrents integrated into
                rocketboom site by Monday.

                Here is what the stock interface looks like:
                http://a.parsons.edu/~baron/torrents/

                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Kinberg <jkinberg@g...>
                wrote:
                > http://www.blogtorrent.com/
                >
                > If you haven't yet checked out Blog Torrent, it really simplifies the
                > whole process of using BitTorrent. If you're on a PC its very easy to
                > create and seed torrents (so I'm told, but I'm a mac user).
                >
                > For Mac users, you still get their really easy-to-use Torrent Tracker
                > (which is like a BitTorrent server). You upload this Tracker to a
                > folder on your website and you can begin hosting Torrents. Here's the
                > process for mac users once you've got your Tracker uploaded:
                > 1. Create a .torrent using your BitTorrent client and point it to
                your Tracker.
                > 2. Upload the .torrent to your Tracker using the Blog Torrent upload
                form.
                > 3. "Seed" your .torrent by starting a download to the same location
                > where it already exists on your computer (because you already have the
                > complete file,

                BitTorrent will not download anything, but instead
                > begin uploading the file to any connected peers -- this is called
                > "seeding").
                > 4. Leave your BitTorrent client open to continue seeding. If there are
                > no seeders, no one will be able to download the file.
                >
                > So why is this good? First off, it solves the issue of having to host
                > large files on your webserver. As many of you may have already found,
                > you can run out of server space rather quickly. Secondly, it helps
                > alleviate bandwidth issues -- i.e. if a lot of people suddenly begin
                > downloading or watching your video, you will quickly exceed your
                > allotted transfer banndwidth and might be charged additional fees from
                > your hosting provider. With BitTorrent, this is not a problem because
                > the video is not actaully hosted on your server.
                >
                > Here's another reason to use this tracker -- it comes with a built-in
                > RSS feed with enclosures!
                >
                > This is a big deal!
                >
                > --Josh
              • courtwms777
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 4, 2004
                  Not so easy :-S I logged onto blogtorrent.com yesterday and clicked
                  on the "Live Demo" link. I downloaded the pacers_pistons_brawl.avi
                  file ... for 'easy download' .. but had to click on 'Get Blog
                  Torrent' first (for the seed torrent, I presume). Anyway, the bloody
                  file would only play in audio on my Windows Media Player (?) and just
                  now when I tried to open the file (figuring I still had that blog
                  torrent on my computer) it said Windows couldn't open it without
                  knowing what program created it (?!)

                  All I know is... it took forever to download the file.. then I
                  couldn't even view it.. and now I can't call it up even going thru
                  the process all over again..

                  sheesh..
                  Courtney

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 4, 2004
                    Well Michael, glad to know you are in the US instead of suffering the
                    constraints of the Iranian society.... I posted that particular
                    reference to Iran because I'd seen a bit on the news where the
                    Iranian gov't plan was to shift the Internet over to gov't control
                    and then eliminate access to it altogether! And thus the general
                    population would have *no* contact with the 'outside' world.

                    Yikes!

                    Courtney

                    --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Michael Manoochehri