Road Node Badge Design

  • Jan
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 31, 2005

      Is there a designer out there with an hour to kill who can add a video camera image to the Road Node 101 logo that will translate into a small 2" x 2" embroidered badge? Think Randolphe is right that one of the outlines of the road sign should be in shiney silver thread. Yes?

      Time is of the essence since it's gotta get in to a manufacturer soon in order to be on board the van.

      You get two badges for your effort.

      Jan

    • joel
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 31, 2005
        try this one out.

        On 8/31/05, Jan <vze4pnhk@...> wrote:

        Is there a designer out there with an hour to kill who can add a video camera image to the Road Node 101 logo that will translate into a small 2" x 2" embroidered badge? Think Randolphe is right that one of the outlines of the road sign should be in shiney silver thread. Yes?

        Time is of the essence since it's gotta get in to a manufacturer soon in order to be on board the van.

        You get two badges for your effort.

        Jan

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        --
        joel
        http://joelart.blogspot.com

          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 31, 2005
            Jan, have you considered making the "0" in either/or/both "node" and "101" a camera lens? in the design at:

            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 31, 2005
              Hey, Joel,

              Now we're gettin' somewhere.

              Any way to abstract the 'lens' so it would carry over to embroidery?

              This this works perfectly for web / graphical use - wow.

              Yes.

              Thanks!

              Here's a link to the logo Joel so kindly prepared: < URL: http://roadnode101.urbanartadventures.com/images/road_node_joel.jpg >

              Jan

              P.S. There's been discussion of late how some find it inappropriate to send images to the list as attachments or embedded in email. Out of respect for our fellow bloggers, perhaps we should send 'em thus off-list or to the list via link if you can.

              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 31, 2005
                Hmm... that highway sign is such a distinctly American symbol. (Plus
                I've already heard someone on this list refer to the Road Node as "Vlog
                Tour USA...")

                I realize this is a U.S-centric movement but I think I might try to
                find something with a little more of a Canadian flavour for my own
                site... for example -

                < http://swordfight.org/images/roadnode-nhl.jpg >

                ;)

                xo philip
                http://swordfight.org
                http://hotaction.ca/destroy

                On 31-Aug-05, at 1:50 PM, videoblogging@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                > Message: 20
                > Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:57:07 -0400
                > From: "Jan" <vze4pnhk@...>
                > Subject: Re: Road Node Badge Design
                >
                > Hey, Joel,
                >
                > Now we're gettin' somewhere.
                >
                > Any way to abstract the 'lens' so it would carry over to embroidery?
                >
                > This this works perfectly for web / graphical use - wow.
                >
                > Yes.
                >
                > Thanks!
                >
                > Here's a link to the logo Joel so kindly prepared: < URL:
                > http://roadnode101.urbanartadventures.com/images/road_node_joel.jpg >
                >
                > Jan
              • Jan
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 31, 2005
                  First, nice work Philip. I will try to amend the design to be more
                  international in flavor; it was absolutely modelled after the U.S. Route 101
                  sign.

                  For the record, it is not "USA" in any way. In all the literature, it's
                  referred to as "world-wide" or "international". In part, this notion is why
                  it felt important to cross into Canada on the first Node Tour. Also why it
                  felt really important to support VlogEurope! with my presence.

                  Crossing into Canada also has to do with you and your great work, but we'll
                  chat about that over a wee nip as we chop some wood or something.

                  Since it looks like most everyone has signed onto the Road Node list, I
                  think we should endeavor to take this discussion over there. We return you
                  to your regularly scheduled vlog discussions.

                  Vlog on - everywhere,
                  Jan
                  --
                  "It isn't done alone. Pay more."
                  .
                  > Hmm... that highway sign is such a distinctly American symbol. (Plus
                  > I've already heard someone on this list refer to the Road Node as "Vlog
                  > Tour USA...")
                  >
                  > I realize this is a U.S-centric movement but I think I might try to
                  > find something with a little more of a Canadian flavour for my own
                  > site... for example -
                  >
                  > < http://swordfight.org/images/roadnode-nhl.jpg >
                  >
                  > ;)
                  >
                  > xo philip
                  > http://swordfight.org
                  > http://hotaction.ca/destroy
                  >

                  > On 31-Aug-05, at 1:50 PM, videoblogging@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                  >
                  >> Message: 20
                  >> Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:57:07 -0400
                  >> From: "Jan" <vze4pnhk@...>
                  >> Subject: Re: Road Node Badge Design
                  >>
                  >> Hey, Joel,
                  >>
                  >> Now we're gettin' somewhere.
                  >>
                  >> Any way to abstract the 'lens' so it would carry over to embroidery?
                  >>
                  >> This this works perfectly for web / graphical use - wow.
                  >>
                  >> Yes.
                  >>
                  >> Thanks!
                  >>
                  >> Here's a link to the logo Joel so kindly prepared: < URL:
                  >> http://roadnode101.urbanartadventures.com/images/road_node_joel.jpg >
                  >>
                  >> Jan
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Joshua Kinberg
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 31, 2005
                    > I've already heard someone on this list refer to the Road Node as "Vlog
                    > Tour USA...")

                    I would suggest that this road trip is more appropriately called "Vlog
                    Tour USA."

                    In many ways we're still trying to figure out what Node101 actually *is*.

                    Let's slow down a little here and think more high level about it
                    before we go planning road trips and designing logos carrying the
                    Node101 name.

                    -Josh

                    On 8/31/05, Philip Clark <philip@...> wrote:
                    > Hmm... that highway sign is such a distinctly American symbol. (Plus
                    > I've already heard someone on this list refer to the Road Node as "Vlog
                    > Tour USA...")
                    >
                    > I realize this is a U.S-centric movement but I think I might try to
                    > find something with a little more of a Canadian flavour for my own
                    > site... for example -
                    >
                    > < http://swordfight.org/images/roadnode-nhl.jpg >
                    >
                    > ;)
                    >
                    > xo philip
                    > http://swordfight.org
                    > http://hotaction.ca/destroy
                  • Markus Sandy
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 31, 2005
                      >In many ways we're still trying to figure out what Node101 actually *is*.

                      wiki:

                      http://node101.org/community/index.php/Envisioning_Node_101#NODE101_Locations_.26_Projects

                      http://apperceptions.org
                      http://digitaldojo.blogspot.com
                      http://spinflow.org
                      http://wearethemedia.com
                      http://www.corante.com/events/feedfest/

                      aim/ichat: markus.sandy@...
                      msn: msandy@...
                      skype: msandy
                      spin: markus@...
                    • Steve Watkins
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 31, 2005
                        Im not convinced you can slow it down now, the node101 train has
                        already left the station.

                        What sort of high-level concepts do we need to decide before enabling
                        node01 activities to commence?

                        Theres loads that cpould be talked about, but what is the
                        organisational structure, is there any way in which people could
                        actually formally agree about high-level stuff anyway? eg who decides?
                        Is there a constitution that people vote for? Who decides what node101
                        can or cannot be? Any rules about income sources, sponsorship etc?

                        I think that actual events & people often get on and do things on the
                        ground long before the above are often sorted out. I dunno, I just
                        think there are loads of questions and its as complex as people decide
                        to make it. There are issues that could divide people, there are
                        sensitive questions. When to ask them, and when to go with the flow,
                        that is the question.

                        eg take sponsorship or relationships with other entities. Its come up
                        in various ways in this group over time, for example in relation to
                        whether a sponsored videoblog would be less free, whether people would
                        watch it and think of it in the same way. Another example would be
                        whether building a relationship with Apple store had any negative
                        implications.

                        I think it was good to talk about the Apple thing, but Im not sure if
                        anything got 'decided', more likely many responses were a mix of
                        various levels of either suspicion or enthusiam for such partnerships,
                        with maybe some compromise/best of both worlds solutions like 'do it
                        at apple but not only apple'.

                        And perhaps more importantly, even if a load of people here were
                        unhappy (vocally or not) about an issue, would it make any actual
                        difference? How much those who talk will influence those who do, and
                        in many cases those who are already doing, must be a factor in
                        deciding how much its worth trying to discuss certain aspects of
                        things as a group.

                        Another way to look at sponsorship questions is the old 'whats in it
                        for the sponsor' angle. I bet this has or will be applied in peoples
                        minds to an example like the AppleStore, but what about other
                        examples? Some peoples who are core community, teachers, preachers,
                        node101'ers, have got sponsorship, and its good, but we dont actually
                        talk about it much, not in the same way as theoretical examples
                        anyway. Is it good not to talk about it? Is there any point talking
                        about it? Whats the point sniffing for details which quite fairly I
                        have no right to know. Whats in it for the sponsor? I dont think
                        theres anything sinister in it, but even asking about it probably
                        comes loaded with insinuation.

                        Well, taht was an example of just one mess that can be created with
                        certain aspects of high-level node101 pondering, if thats the sort of
                        thing you meant by high level.

                        Steve of Elbows

                        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Kinberg <jkinberg@g...>
                        wrote:
                        > > I've already heard someone on this list refer to the Road Node as
                        "Vlog
                        > > Tour USA...")
                        >
                        > I would suggest that this road trip is more appropriately called "Vlog
                        > Tour USA."
                        >
                        > In many ways we're still trying to figure out what Node101 actually
                        *is*.

                        > Let's slow down a little here and think more high level about it
                        > before we go planning road trips and designing logos carrying the
                        > Node101 name.
                        >
                        > -Josh

                      • Jan
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 31, 2005
                          Hey, Josh,

                          This is nothing more than a commemorative badge for the Road Node 101 tour
                          I'm originating. Something to share, trade.

                          Are you suggesting it stop?

                          Really?

                          Jan

                          --
                          "It isn't done alone. Pay more."
                          .
                          >> I've already heard someone on this list refer to the Road Node as "Vlog
                          >> Tour USA...")
                          >
                          > I would suggest that this road trip is more appropriately called "Vlog
                          > Tour USA."
                          >
                          > In many ways we're still trying to figure out what Node101 actually *is*.
                          >
                          > Let's slow down a little here and think more high level about it
                          > before we go planning road trips and designing logos carrying the
                          > Node101 name.
                          >
                          > -Josh

                        • Michael Sullivan
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 31, 2005
                            I think Node101 is going to be more of a template that other nodes can use a framework and creatively expand upon.
                            I dont know that Node101 (this name will get confusing as Node101 represents NYC) will be an official umbrella organization for all nodes but it may instead exist more to help facilitate various forms of support and resources.... an incubator of more seed nodes.

                            Either way, i doubt it will matter if nodes use their own logos, names, slogans and methodologies.

                            sull

                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            --
                            sull
                            "The hybrid or the meeting of two media is a moment of truth and revelation from which new form is born"

                              >> I've already heard someone on this list refer to the Road Node as "Vlog
                              >> Tour USA...")
                              >
                              > I would suggest that this road trip is more appropriately called "Vlog
                              > Tour USA."
                              >
                              > In many ways we're still trying to figure out what Node101 actually *is*.
                              >
                              > Let's slow down a little here and think more high level about it
                              > before we go planning road trips and designing logos carrying the
                              > Node101 name.
                              >
                              > -Josh

                            • Jan
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 31, 2005
                                We should take this discussion over to the node 101 list.

                                Jan

                                It is the idea that is important, not the terminology.  I'm happy with any term and design.  However, I personally think "Node 101" or "Road Node 101" is a bit obscure.  Josh's suggestion of "Vlog Tour USA" or even "Vlog Tour 101" or "Vlogoshere 101" would better define what the object of all this is.  Just my two cents.

                                >> I've already heard someone on this list refer to the Road Node as "Vlog
                                >> Tour USA...")
                                >
                                > I would suggest that this road trip is more appropriately called "Vlog
                                > Tour USA."
                                >
                                > In many ways we're still trying to figure out what Node101 actually *is*.
                                >
                                > Let's slow down a little here and think more high level about it
                                > before we go planning road trips and designing logos carrying the
                                > Node101 name.
                                >
                                > -Josh

                              • Randolfe Wicker

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 1, 2005
                                    Thursday, September 1, 2005, 4:09:01 PM, Randolfe Wicker wrote:

                                    > I like the design that Joel did very much. However, I think he
                                    > chose "elegance" over message insofar as the camera lens is not
                                    > "camera Lensie" enough to make it stand out as a distinct camera
                                    > lens. I am no artist and no designer. I'm just someone who offers
                                    > his honest opinion. By making the camera lens in 101 more
                                    > distinctly a camera lens, it seems to me that you make it more
                                    > obvious that "Node 101" is about capturing things with a camera.

                                    Just to echo that. When I first saw it I thought it was a car tyre -
                                    symbolic of the road trip.

                                    I'm not sure a camera lens is "iconic" enough. How about a
                                    TV/monitor screen? Maybe something a bit like:

                                    http://www.makevideo.org.uk/stills/road_node_frank.jpg

                                    Apologies for the sketchy nature of the image, but I hope you get the
                                    idea.

                                    --
                                    Frank Carver http://www.makevideo.org.uk
                                  • Verdi
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 1, 2005
                                      This is a response to an email on the Videoblogging list. I'm also
                                      posting this to the NODE101 list and encourage those who want to
                                      continue this discussion to sign up for that rather than replying on
                                      the videoblogging list.

                                      http://groups.google.com/group/NODE101

                                      On Aug 31, 2005, at 3:38 PM, Steve Watkins wrote:
                                      > I'm not convinced you can slow it down now, the node101 train has
                                      > already left the station.
                                      >
                                      > What sort of high-level concepts do we need to decide before enabling
                                      > node01 activities to commence?
                                      >
                                      > Theres loads that cpould be talked about, but what is the
                                      > organisational structure, is there any way in which people could
                                      > actually formally agree about high-level stuff anyway? eg who decides?
                                      > Is there a constitution that people vote for? Who decides what node101
                                      > can or cannot be? Any rules about income sources, sponsorship etc?

                                      Here's my take on what Josh is saying (Josh feel free to jump in and
                                      correct me). We didn't anticipate all of this excitement around this
                                      idea. I, for one, certainly don't want to dampen anyone's enthusiasm
                                      and I want people to know that I'm totally inspired by how people are
                                      off and running with all of this but I do want to be clear that we're
                                      still making all of this up. So here is some more info that should
                                      be known. What the formal relationship between the individual nodes
                                      and the NODE101 umbrella organization is, hasn't been decided. So
                                      how do we figure that out and who gets to decide? Good question. I
                                      think right now who gets to decide is me, Ryanne, Jay, Josh, Dave
                                      Toole, and Markus. How do we decide that?
                                      That's part of what our experiment is designed to help us learn.
                                      Also we want to hear from you - people who are excited about this
                                      project - how they think it could work and what kind of organization
                                      they would want to be a part of.

                                      Here's what are plan was/is around starting nodes (our experiment):
                                      We had this idea - NODE101. We though that it would be a great test
                                      of this idea to somehow set up a small number of nodes, connect them
                                      together, produce some results and learn some lessons. Two weeks ago
                                      I wrote an email to our little group in frustration that this idea
                                      seemed doable except for the money to pay people for their time. The
                                      key, I said, in the short term (weeks and months vs years) is to get
                                      corporate sponsorship to help "seed" our initial nodes. So this
                                      email I sent out was asking for help in this arena. One person that
                                      I sent it to was Dave Toole from Outhink. Not only did Dave commit
                                      to putting some of his own money into making this happen he also
                                      committed to help find those other corporate sponsors needed to get
                                      this experiment off the ground.

                                      The purpose of this experiment is to set some example of what we want
                                      to see nodes be like; learn how nodes can leverage the network to be
                                      more effective; provide proof that this is a viable and sustainable
                                      project; create interest in spreading this project; create interest
                                      and opportunities for funding an expansion of the project; and to
                                      figure out what works in terms of a structure. So our plan is to
                                      start nodes in San Antonio, New York, Ojai, and Silicon Valley and
                                      the experiment is figuring out how to make them sustainable,
                                      valuable, and useful to the community.

                                      I think it's kick ass that people want to start nodes all over the
                                      place! This is what we hoped and are counting on happening. I want
                                      and need people's ideas and feedback on how they think all of this
                                      could work - that's why I put up the wiki. I want people to consider
                                      how and where they could start a node. I want to develop an
                                      organization that works, that inspires people, that empowers people,
                                      and most of all makes a difference in the world. I want NODE101 to
                                      be able to help people start nodes - maybe even help fund them
                                      initially.

                                      So I'm babbling on and on here. Let me try to bottom line it. I
                                      think it's fucking fantastic for people to imagine and even test out
                                      nodes like Jan's Road Node. Just know that how all of this works and
                                      people's relationship to all of it is yet to be figured out. Maybe
                                      NODE101 will be a non-profit, maybe it will be a for-profit venture.
                                      Maybe each node will do their own thing, maybe there will be some
                                      minimum things that all nodes should do. These things are
                                      undecided. Let's talk about that. That why I started this list. I
                                      guess the real bottom line here is that I hope you trust that we have
                                      integrity such that you can feel comfortable playing with us even
                                      though all the rules have yet to be agreed upon.

                                      -Verdi
                                    • Randolfe Wicker
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Sep 1, 2005
                                        Frank, there is a Node 101 group which you might like to join.

                                        I think your design idea is most interesting.  I think I might want to drop an image in the TV screen of a person (perhaps a drawing) holding a small home camera with a wire leading to a big broadcasting tower in the background.

                                        But maybe, I'm getting too detailed.  However, tossing ideas out never hurts and might spark other ideas such as your suggestion of using the TV screen, etc.