How will vloggers differ from bloggers.

  • Randolfe Wicker
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 30, 2005
      Studies of bloggers show them to be younger, wealthier and high speed connected to the Internet.  A study which can be accessed at the link below explores such interesting details as the most popular "blogs" being political, hip lifestyle, tech and those by women. I wonder if these trends will be the same for vlogs?

      Randolfe (Randy) Wicker

      Videographer, Writer, Activist
      Advisor: The Immortality Institute
      Hoboken, NJ

    • Gena
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 31, 2005
        There I go, pulling down the curve. I'm older, cash impaired and still
        on dial-up.

        Gena
        http://outonthestoop.blogspot.com
        *************************************
        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Randolfe Wicker <rhwicker@o...>
        wrote:
        > Studies of bloggers show them to be younger, wealthier and high
        speed connected to the Internet. A study which can be accessed at the
        link below explores such interesting details as the most popular
        "blogs" being political, hip lifestyle, tech and those by women. I
        wonder if these trends will be the same for vlogs?

        > http://www.centerformediaresearch.com/cfmr_brief.cfm?fnl=050829
        >
        > Randolfe (Randy) Wicker
        >
        > Videographer, Writer, Activist
        > Advisor: The Immortality Institute
        > Hoboken, NJ
      • Kunga
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 31, 2005
          Where are you? DSL in California is $14.95 a month. Have you checked
          prices for broadband lately? They have plunged a lot in the past 3
          months.
          --
          Taylor Barcroft
          New Media Publisher, Editor, Video Journalist

          On Aug 31, 2005, at 10:31 PM, Gena wrote:

          > There I go, pulling down the curve. I'm older, cash impaired and still
          > on dial-up.
          >
          > Gena
        • Gena
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
            The two offers you might be refering to are from Verizon and SBC.
            Verizon has a limit on 788k on cheap dsl but that is a permanent
            price. SBC rate is promotional and will jump back to the regular rate
            after 6 months.

            I'm in SBC land so Verizon is not an option for me - my understanding
            anyway. I don't like SBC/Yahoo. I am wary of their privacy policies
            and the service in general. Plus, you gotta ask yourself - what is
            coming down the road to motivate the low rates?

            ***************

            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Kunga <kunga@f...> wrote:
            > Where are you? DSL in California is $14.95 a month. Have you
            checked
            > prices for broadband lately? They have plunged a lot in the past 3
            > months.
            > --
            > Taylor Barcroft
            > New Media Publisher, Editor, Video Journalist
            > Santa Cruz CA, Beach of the Silicon Valley
            > http://FutureMedia.org
            >
            > On Aug 31, 2005, at 10:31 PM, Gena wrote:
            >
            > > There I go, pulling down the curve. I'm older, cash impaired and
            still on dial-up.
          • Markus Sandy
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
              that's incorrect (it may be true for you, but not throughout the major
              California metro areas and certainly not in the rural areas)

              it goes at least as high as $79.95 for home DSL in some (non-rural)
              areas in CA
              there are still lots of places in California where there is still no DSL
              service (I'm talking citites here, not rural)
              there are even more places in California where you can't get DSL anymore
              (gone bye bye)
              some DSL providers are great, many are not

              the house i just moved into had a DSL line and modem working when we
              purchased
              when I went to order the service, PacBell said that they were no longer
              servicing that area (it was $39/month)
              they said that more people were using DSL now and so that the distances
              they could cover were shrinking
              they said that there were no plans to address this

              luckily there were alternatives:

              cable: $39/mo (plus another $16 because you NEED that high speed option
              - of course this is Adelphia - in chapter 11 - you can guess what kind
              of service you get)

              wireless DSL: $79/month (must buy equipment too - great local service,
              but slow speeds)

              a real PITA, but better than a telephone modem

              Kunga wrote:

              >Where are you? DSL in California is $14.95 a month. Have you checked
              >prices for broadband lately? They have plunged a lot in the past 3
              >months.

              http://apperceptions.org
              http://digitaldojo.blogspot.com
              http://spinflow.org
              http://wearethemedia.com
              http://www.corante.com/events/feedfest/

              aim/ichat: markus.sandy@...
              msn: msandy@...
              skype: msandy
              spin: markus@...
            • Kunga
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
                No Gena. It's a one year rate that you can renew at the same price
                after the year is up. And don't worry what they say. You will be able
                to renew at the same low rate. I even know people who refuse the
                contract and still get it for $14.95 a month. You are letting FEAR
                get in your way. If you can afford it, get SBC DSL Pro for $25 a
                month that runs twice as fast. I am very happy with the additional
                speed.

                You are shooting yourself in the foot big time by not jumping on that
                deal from SBC immediately Gena. Stop telling yourself why you don't
                want-can't have it and order it today. Stop thinking about what is
                coming next and get the bargain you can get NOW Gena.
                --

                On Sep 1, 2005, at 5:39 AM, Gena wrote:

                > SBC $14.95/month rate is promotional and will jump back to the
                > regular rate after 6 months.
              • Kunga
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
                  Good to know. I should have figured they would play games with each
                  market. But my point is that if she can get that rate for 6 months it
                  is highly likely she will be able to renew at the same low price for
                  the another 6 months. They do not really jack up the price at the end
                  of a promotional price period. They simply offer you another contract
                  for the same low price. You may have to phone and request it before
                  your contract expires. Don't just let it expire without interaction
                  with customer service. In that case they will jack up the price. But
                  if you ASK for a low price renewal, my experience is, they will give
                  it to you.

                  Perfect example is in April they sent out an offer for DSL Pro for
                  $29.95 a month. I was in the middle of a $27.95 for base DSL
                  "contract". I phoned and they gave me the Pro for $29.95 right away -
                  forget the contract. Then about a month or two later they started
                  sending out promotional literature offering DSLPro for $25/month.
                  First time I phoned to ask for the price reduction I was told it was
                  only for new customers and only online. When I tried to order it
                  online the web browser told me DSL wasn't available in my area. This
                  was while I was using DSL Pro to get lower priced DSL Pro. So I
                  phoned again after continuing to receive promotional literature about
                  the lower price and said "I don't think it's fair for you to be
                  hitting me with all this promotional literature for the lower price
                  and not giving it to me because I took you up on your earlier offer
                  for $30 a month b4 the price change. Rep left the phone to talk to
                  super and came back with agreement to give me the lower price.

                  Moral of the story is you can negotiate lower prices if you persevere
                  and don't take no for an answer from the first customer rep. Ask for
                  a supervisor. If they say no, call again another time and talk to a
                  different supervisor. Rephrase your point of view to convince them to
                  give you the lower price. Be charming not hostile.
                  --

                  On Sep 1, 2005, at 7:35 AM, Markus Sandy wrote:

                  > that's incorrect (it may be true for you, but not throughout the major
                  > California metro areas and certainly not in the rural areas)
                  >
                  > it goes at least as high as $79.95 for home DSL in some (non-rural)
                  > areas in CA
                  > there are still lots of places in California where there is still
                  > no DSL
                  > service (I'm talking citites here, not rural)
                  > there are even more places in California where you can't get DSL
                  > anymore
                  > (gone bye bye)
                  > some DSL providers are great, many are not
                  >
                  > Kunga wrote:
                  >
                  >> Where are you? DSL in California is $14.95 a month. Have you checked
                  >> prices for broadband lately? They have plunged a lot in the past 3
                  >> months.
                • Adrian Miles
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
                    around the 1/9/05 Markus Sandy mentioned about Re: [videoblogging]
                    Re: How will vloggers differ from blogg that:
                    >that's incorrect (it may be true for you, but not throughout the major
                    >California metro areas and certainly not in the rural areas)
                    >
                    >it goes at least as high as $79.95 for home DSL in some (non-rural)
                    >areas in CA
                    >there are still lots of places in California where there is still no DSL
                    >service (I'm talking citites here, not rural)
                    >there are even more places in California where you can't get DSL anymore
                    >(gone bye bye)

                    which is why I keep banging on about compression and bandwidth. It is
                    bandwidth that costs, not storage, and your *viewers* are paying (a
                    lot) for it. If you make 5 minute videos that are 20MG a pop, have 10
                    in your RSS feed, then you *are* costing your viewers a non trivial
                    amount of money.

                    Bandwidth sustainability will be a key geopolitical issue, it
                    certainly is right now in Australia except it isn't called that.
                    --
                    cheers
                    Adrian Miles

                    hypertext.RMIT
                    <URL:http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vlog>
                  • Joshua Kinberg
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
                      > Bandwidth sustainability will be a key geopolitical issue, it
                      > certainly is right now in Australia except it isn't called that.

                      I agree with you. This is a real issue. What do they call it in Australia?
                      Its not something that is much talked about in the US either. If it
                      is, they usually call it something more general, like "falling behind
                      in the digital divide" or something....

                      -josh
                    • Adrian Miles
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
                        around the 1/9/05 Joshua Kinberg mentioned about Re: [videoblogging]
                        Re: How will vloggers differ from blogg that:
                        >I agree with you. This is a real issue. What do they call it in Australia?
                        >Its not something that is much talked about in the US either. If it
                        >is, they usually call it something more general, like "falling behind
                        >in the digital divide" or something....

                        digital divide, but at the moment it is all about 'broadband for the
                        bush', country as big as USA, 20 million people - who is going to pay
                        so that people in the middle of nowhere get broadband at a reasonable
                        price? (It is called Universal Service Obligations, think postal
                        service, send a letter from anywhere in the country to anywhere else
                        for one price, the idea is that telecommunications should more or
                        less cost the same where ever you are. )