Re: What?!?

  • courtwms777
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 2, 2004
      Okay - that's *funny* Steve! :-D Now... you *know* I have to run join
      up... just for the sake of self-torture...

      Courtney

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Steve Garfield <steve@o...>
      wrote:
      > Courtney,
      > Don't join the ipodder-dev list or your head will explode.
      > --Steve
      >
      > On Dec 2, 2004, at 3:46 AM, courtwms777 wrote:
      >
      > > Land O' Goshen, people. I feel like my brain is going to explode.
      > > Like I'm reading a foreign language where the alphabet looks
      familiar
      > > but the language doesn't compute!
      > --------- [ Web Site ] ---------
      > Steve Garfield
      > http://stevegarfield.com
    • courtwms777
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 2, 2004
        Actually, Eric... *you* are the one who inspired the idea in the
        first place as I watched your video post about video blogging. Very
        nice, simple, informal - nice delivery - cool sunglasses ;-)

        And it just so happens (hint hint) that my indie label's electronica
        recording artist would just LOVE to lay some tracks for these video
        demos. (In fact, he's a corporate trainer/human resources dev. guy in
        Portugal in 'real life'). ;-) (Okay - the so-called-indie-label was
        created just to launch his stuff... but a fun endeavor
        nonetheless)....

        But if you want Hip Hop.. (soooo LA)... you are on your own. Maybe
        someone could Rap the instructions :-D

        Courtney

        --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Rice" <eric@e...> wrote:

        > Heck, I'd even be willing to take on part of this project. Could be
        fun. But only if we could
        > do something hip-hop music video-like. Okay maybe not. But yeah.
        This kind of thing is
        > important.
        >
        > Eric from eric rice dot com.
        >
        > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "courtwms777"
        <courtwms777@y...> wrote:

        > > Land O' Goshen, people. I feel like my brain is going to explode.
        > > Like I'm reading a foreign language where the alphabet looks
        familiar
        > > but the language doesn't compute!
        > >
        > > I am wall-eyed at this point with talk about enclosures and
        feeds.
        > > Hell, I don't even understand the RSS feeds yet and how all that
        > > works. Beta? Alpha? What?!?!
        > >
        > > I sure hope (some) of you guys will take pity on those *not* in
        the
        > > know... and put all this lingo into some sort of comprehensible
        > > format so those of us who are not geekease savvy. The last 25
        posts
        > > (approx.) have left me feeling like I'm visiting planet Mars. :-S
        > >
        > > Plus, I'm feeling like if I don't 'get' it soon... I'm going to
        be
        > > left in the dust! (not that I'm not already....but...) :-(
        > >
        > > I need a videoblogging/RSS
        feeds/wikipedia/alpha/beta/creativecommons
        > > 101 class...
        > >
        > > There *must* be an easier way to understand this stuff. Being
        > > a 'visual' girl (hence the interest in video blogging), *visual
        aid*
        > > would be greatly appreciated. Even Steve gets that... seeing as
        he
        > > did a little how-to video demonstration for his Mom's blog.
        > >
        > > Would someone *PLEASE* consider doing a video blog (Steve?)
        clearly
        > > demonstrating every aspect of what the heck you guys are talking
        > > about? RSS feeds, enclosures, all that stuff. How it works and
        why?
        > > Even a video regarding the different blog programs, finding new
        > > skins, how to make simple changes in an existing blog template
        using
        > > HTML, etc. Heck, even a video post *about* HTML. There's gotta be
        > > better, simpler, easier way to comprehend all this information. I
        > > mean, it's fine for those of you who are hard core computer guys.
        > > But, sheesh, if you want to help further the cause of video
        blogging,
        > > you might want to put it to the rest of us in a comprehensible
        form.

        > > Thanks!
        > > Courtney
      • Jack Hodgson
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 2, 2004
          Courtney wrote:

          > Okay - that's *funny* Steve! :-D Now... you *know* I have to run join
          > up... just for the sake of self-torture...

          That's exactly the same reaction I had.
        • Steve Garfield
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 2, 2004
            Courtney,

            No! Don't do it.

            I mean it. Stay away from the ipodder-dev list at all costs.

            Check out some of these messages from this morning:

            I've been thinking of switching to using gcj and gtk ( after I play with
            that I'll have a better idea about it ) and integrating with gtkpod for
            syncing...
            -
            What's the output when you run configuration.py --debug?
            -
            You might be better off downloading the .Net framework (if it works on
            WinME) and Doppler.
            -
            Guid from md5 is MUCH better than using the length of the file.
            -
            If you're producing RSS by hand and FTPing it to minimal hosting, that's
            fair enough. But there's also a ton of people who don't have Admin
            rights to their hosting but do have a scripting language available such
            as PHP, perl, Python, aspx. And every one of these can modify the
            headers sent back and hence set appropriate 3XX redirects.
            -

            --Steve

            On Dec 2, 2004, at 8:52 AM, courtwms777 wrote:

            > Okay - that's *funny* Steve! :-D Now... you *know* I have to run join
            > up... just for the sake of self-torture...
            >
            > Courtney
            >

            > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Steve Garfield <steve@o...>
            > wrote:
            >> Courtney,
            >> Don't join the ipodder-dev list or your head will explode.
            >> --Steve
            >>
            >> On Dec 2, 2004, at 3:46 AM, courtwms777 wrote:
            >>
            >>> Land O' Goshen, people. I feel like my brain is going to explode.
            >>> Like I'm reading a foreign language where the alphabet looks
            > familiar
            >>> but the language doesn't compute!
            >> --------- [ Web Site ] ---------
            >> Steve Garfield
            >> http://stevegarfield.com
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            --------- [ Web Site ] ---------
            Steve Garfield
            http://stevegarfield.com
          • Joshua Kinberg
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 2, 2004
              Here's the simplest explanation I can think of... sorry its in text ;-)

              RSS allows people to subscribe to your blog and read it without having
              to visit your website.
              Enclosures allow you to share files along with your RSS feed, so
              people can subscribe to your *videos*.

              Now for some buzzwords:
              This means that we have an emergent, grassroots, bottom-up, video
              distribution network sitting right under noses!

              --Josh

              On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 14:02:11 -0000, courtwms777 <courtwms777@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > > did a little how-to video demonstration for his Mom's blog.
              > > >
              > > > Would someone *PLEASE* consider doing a video blog (Steve?)
              > clearly
              > > > demonstrating every aspect of what the heck you guys are talking
              > > > about? RSS feeds, enclosures, all that stuff. How it works and
              > why?
              > > > Even a video regarding the different blog programs, finding new
              > > > skins, how to make simple changes in an existing blog template
              > using
              > > > HTML, etc. Heck, even a video post *about* HTML. There's gotta be
              > > > better, simpler, easier way to comprehend all this information. I
              > > > mean, it's fine for those of you who are hard core computer guys.
              > > > But, sheesh, if you want to help further the cause of video
              > blogging,
              > > > you might want to put it to the rest of us in a comprehensible

            • Joshua Kinberg
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 2, 2004
                I'm also considering unsubscribing from iPodder-Dev. There's a ton of
                chatter -- most of it over or around my head.

                Actually, we had a discussion a few weeks back about splitting this
                group into another dedicated to more technical talk (which actually
                isn't very technical compared to iPodder-Dev). The tech-talk chatter
                has died down on this list quite a bit, but the other list (AVsyn)
                hasn't really taken off yet.

                --Josh

                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 2, 2004
                  >There's gotta be a
                  > better, simpler, easier way to comprehend all this information. I
                  > mean, it's fine for those of you who are hard core computer >guys.
                  > But, sheesh, if you want to help further the cause of video >blogging,
                  > you might want to put it to the rest of us in a comprehensible >form.

                  most people in this group are not hard-core computer people.
                  thats the beauty of it.
                  i didnt knowe any of this stuff 6 months ago.
                  what i did was start googling things i didnt undersatnd and read.
                  i asked people specific questions where things didint make sense.

                  its like learning how an engine works.
                  no one can explain the whole thing in one go.
                  ask about one part...and we'll start there.

                  have you thought about using Eric Rice's videoblog tool?
                • Steve Garfield
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 2, 2004
                    Check it out, a video that explains RSS:
                    http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10088_7-5143656.html?tag=hed

                    "Rafe Needleman, editor for CNET.com Business Buying Advice, explains
                    how RSS feeds give you the news you need, when and where you want it.
                    Watch as he helps you stay informed with more news from more sources
                    than you could ever possibly read."

                    I think he did a great job.

                    One note:
                    In the video, Rafe clicks on an XML button, then copies and pastes the
                    URL into his RSS News reader.

                    You can also just click and drag an XML button into your RSS reader.
                    At least I can on my Mac with NewsFire.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 2, 2004
                      I love it when they talk like that. :-)

                      -- Jack

                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Steve Garfield <steve@o...> wrote:
                      > Courtney,
                      >
                      > No! Don't do it.
                      >
                      > I mean it. Stay away from the ipodder-dev list at all costs.
                      >
                      > Check out some of these messages from this morning:
                      >
                      > I've been thinking of switching to using gcj and gtk ( after I play with
                      > that I'll have a better idea about it ) and integrating with gtkpod for
                      > syncing...
                      > -
                      > What's the output when you run configuration.py --debug?
                      > -
                      > You might be better off downloading the .Net framework (if it works on
                      > WinME) and Doppler.
                      > -
                      > Guid from md5 is MUCH better than using the length of the file.
                      > -
                      > If you're producing RSS by hand and FTPing it to minimal hosting, that's
                      > fair enough. But there's also a ton of people who don't have Admin
                      > rights to their hosting but do have a scripting language available such
                      > as PHP, perl, Python, aspx. And every one of these can modify the
                      > headers sent back and hence set appropriate 3XX redirects.
                      > -
                      >
                      > --Steve
                      >
                      > On Dec 2, 2004, at 8:52 AM, courtwms777 wrote:
                      >

                      > > Okay - that's *funny* Steve! :-D Now... you *know* I have to run join
                      > > up... just for the sake of self-torture...
                      > >
                      > > Courtney
                      > >

                      > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Steve Garfield <steve@o...>
                      > > wrote:
                      > >> Courtney,
                      > >> Don't join the ipodder-dev list or your head will explode.
                      > >> --Steve

                      > > familiar
                      > >> --------- [ Web Site ] ---------
                      > >> Steve Garfield
                      > >> http://stevegarfield.com
                      > >

                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                      > >

                      > --------- [ Web Site ] ---------
                      > Steve Garfield
                      > http://stevegarfield.com
                    • courtwms777
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 2, 2004
                        I just watched this video on RSS feeds. Perfect! Now I 'get' it
                        completely. See? This is just what I was referring to ... simple,
                        easy to comprehend video explanations of the different aspects of
                        video blogging. Thanks again, Steve, for this post. Fabulous. Now
                        I'm 'up to speed on feed'.. (haha)

                        And Steve... you are a veritible fountain of info (along with
                        everyone else, of course)...

                        wrote:
                        > Check it out, a video that explains RSS:
                        > http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10088_7-5143656.html?tag=hed
                        >
                        > "Rafe Needleman, editor for CNET.com Business Buying Advice,
                        explains
                        > how RSS feeds give you the news you need, when and where you want
                        it.
                        > Watch as he helps you stay informed with more news from more
                        sources
                        > than you could ever possibly read."
                        >
                        > I think he did a great job.
                        >
                        > One note:
                        > In the video, Rafe clicks on an XML button, then copies and pastes
                        the
                        > URL into his RSS News reader.
                        >
                        > You can also just click and drag an XML button into your RSS
                        reader.
                        > At least I can on my Mac with NewsFire.
                        >
                        > On Dec 2, 2004, at 3:46 AM, courtwms777 wrote:
                        >
                        > > I am wall-eyed at this point with talk about enclosures and feeds.
                        > > Hell, I don't even understand the RSS feeds yet and how all that
                        > > works. Beta? Alpha? What?!?!
                        > >
                        > > I sure hope (some) of you guys will take pity on those *not* in
                        the
                        > > know... and put all this lingo into some sort of comprehensible
                        > > format so those of us who are not geekease savvy.
                        > --------- [ Web Site ] ---------
                        > Steve Garfield
                        > http://stevegarfield.com
                      • Ed Yarrish
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 3, 2004
                          If anyone has the energy to document what they do on their screen to
                          create video, get RSS feeds, etc., the software below might be a
                          useful tool to create a video about "how to". They have a free demo
                          version.

                          http://www.knowledgepresenter.com/home.htm?

                          I am still working to understand RSS feeds. I think the new Firefox
                          browser that I am using lets you get feeds without having to use a
                          separate 'reader' program. Can anyone verify that and make comments
                          about pluses or limitations? And, enclosures?

                          Ed Yarrish

                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 3, 2004
                            Having trouble configuring the ANT site. Specifically, if there is
                            anyone out with experience administering Drupal, perhaps you could
                            lend a hand?

                            I'm having trouble with user registrations... I cannot approve any new
                            users. In fact, I can't seem to modify any information concerning
                            users without generating an error. I can manually create new users --
                            but then their info cannot be modified.

                            Here is the specific error returned:

                            user error: Duplicate entry 'stevegarfield' for key 2
                            query: INSERT INTO users (name, mail, status, signature, timezone,
                            created, changed, uid) VALUES ('stevegarfield',
                            'ant@...', '1', '', '-18000', '1102126279',
                            '1102126279', '33') in
                            /homepages/16/d90044543/htdocs/antnottv/includes/database.mysql.inc on
                            line 125.
                            warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by
                            (output started at
                            /homepages/16/d90044543/htdocs/antnottv/includes/common.inc:402) in
                            /homepages/16/d90044543/htdocs/antnottv/includes/common.inc on line
                            215.
                          • Andrew Baron
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 3, 2004
                              Don't know if this helps or not, but the one time I looked at Drupal,
                              I noticed it was all php/mysql. In which case, here is how we manage
                              users on juliaset:

                              <?
                              include("accesscontrol.php");
                              include('../config.php');
                              include('header.php');
                              if($createpermission !="true") { echo "You do not have permission to
                              if(!isset($ends_design_add_go)) {
                              ?>
                              <?
                              mysql_pconnect("$host","$username","$userpass");
                              mysql_select_db("$userdatabase");
                              $result1 = mysql_query("select * from $userprefix order by id desc");
                              while($r=mysql_fetch_array($result1))
                              {
                              $id=$r["id"];
                              $fullname=$r["fullname"];
                              }
                              ?>

                              <form method="post" action="adduser.php" name="addForm">
                              <input type="hidden" name="ID" size="45" value="id" />
                              <input type="text" name="userid" size="45" value="" />
                              Username<br />
                              <input type="password" name="password" size="45" value="" />
                              Password<br />
                              <input type="text" name="fullname" size="45" value="" />
                              Full Name<br />
                              <input type="text" name="emailaddress" size="45" value="" />
                              Email Address<br />
                              <input name="add2" type="checkbox" value="true" />
                              Post Entry Permission<br />
                              <input name="edit2" type="checkbox" value="true" />
                              Edit Entry Permission<br />
                              <input name="delete2" type="checkbox" value="true" />
                              Delete Entry Permission<br />
                              <input name="comments2" type="checkbox" value="true" />
                              Delete Comments Permission<br />
                              <input name="create2" type="checkbox" value="true" />
                              Create User Permission<br />
                              <input name="ban2" type="checkbox" value="true" />
                              Ban IP Permission<br />
                              <input name="compile2" type="checkbox" value="true" />
                              WEP Compile Permission<br />
                              <input name="upload2" type="checkbox" value="true" />
                              Upload File Permission<br />
                              <input name="plugins2" type="checkbox" value="true" />
                              Plugin Layout Permission<br />
                              <input type="hidden" name="ends_design_add_go" value="TRUE" />
                              <input name="submit" type="submit" value="Create User" />
                              </form>
                              <?
                              } else {
                              $MYSQLCONN = mysql_connect("$host","$username","$userpass") or
                              die("Error connecting to database.");
                              mysql_select_db("$userdatabase",$MYSQLCONN) or die("The database could
                              not be found.");
                              $query = "INSERT INTO $userprefix
                              (`id`,`userid`,`password`,`fullname`,`emailaddress`,`add2`,`edit2`,`delete2`,`create2`,`comments2`,`ban2`,`compile2`,`upload2`,`plugins2`)
                              VALUES
                              ('null','$userid','$password','$fullname','$emailaddress','$add2','$edit2','$delete2','$create2','$comments2','$ban2','$compile2','$upload2','$plugins2')";
                              if(!mysql_query($query)) { echo "Error: must be a unique admin user
                              } }
                              ?>

                              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Kinberg <jkinberg@g...>
                              wrote:
                              > Having trouble configuring the ANT site. Specifically, if there is
                              > anyone out with experience administering Drupal, perhaps you could
                              > lend a hand?
                              >
                              > I'm having trouble with user registrations... I cannot approve any new
                              > users. In fact, I can't seem to modify any information concerning
                              > users without generating an error. I can manually create new users --
                              > but then their info cannot be modified.
                              >
                              > Here is the specific error returned:
                              >
                              > user error: Duplicate entry 'stevegarfield' for key 2
                              > query: INSERT INTO users (name, mail, status, signature, timezone,
                              > created, changed, uid) VALUES ('stevegarfield',
                              > 'ant@s...', '1', '', '-18000', '1102126279',
                              > '1102126279', '33') in
                              > /homepages/16/d90044543/htdocs/antnottv/includes/database.mysql.inc on
                              > line 125.
                              > warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by
                              > (output started at
                              > /homepages/16/d90044543/htdocs/antnottv/includes/common.inc:402) in
                              > /homepages/16/d90044543/htdocs/antnottv/includes/common.inc on line
                              > 215.
                            • binserver2004
                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 3, 2004
                                wrote:
                                > Having trouble configuring the ANT site. Specifically, if there is
                                > anyone out with experience administering Drupal, perhaps you could
                                > lend a hand?
                                >
                                > I'm having trouble with user registrations... I cannot approve any
                                new
                                > users. In fact, I can't seem to modify any information concerning
                                > users without generating an error. I can manually create new users
                                --
                                > but then their info cannot be modified.
                                >
                                > Here is the specific error returned:
                                >
                                > user error: Duplicate entry 'stevegarfield' for key 2
                                > query: INSERT INTO users (name, mail, status, signature, timezone,
                                > created, changed, uid) VALUES ('stevegarfield',
                                > 'ant@s...', '1', '', '-18000', '1102126279',
                                > '1102126279', '33') in
                                > /homepages/16/d90044543/htdocs/antnottv/includes/database.mysql.inc
                                on
                                > line 125.
                                > warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by
                                > (output started at
                                > /homepages/16/d90044543/htdocs/antnottv/includes/common.inc:402) in
                                > /homepages/16/d90044543/htdocs/antnottv/includes/common.inc on line
                                > 215.

                                Hi Andrew. I may be able to help you. I think you may have a very
                                simple bug. If its more complex I can help there too. But first take
                                a look at the specific script and any dependant scripts. Look for
                                excess whitespace at the end of the files. Spedifically look for line
                                feeds. If there is an extra line feed or cr at the end then you can
                                get this error. Other problems can come from path problems (Drupal's
                                path system can be tricky. Also clear your cache and for the time
                                being turn it off by going to settings and looking at the middle of
                                the main page for setings (under the mission statement stuff). I
                                didn't read you post carefully enough to get which version of Drupal.
                                It may help me if this doesn't fix the problem. Also..I'm guessing
                                from what I see that you are on Windows. Be sure to use a good text
                                editor for any files you mod and resend to the server. Some are
                                better than others.. .. cough cough.. no line feeds...let me know..
                              • Michael Manoochehri
                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 3, 2004
                                  Hi Joshua -

                                  I have used Drupal/Civicspace for many sites, but have never seen that
                                  particular error.

                                  Are you sure you have:

                                  (a) used separate email accounts for each user?

                                  (b) Given yourself adequate permissions to approve new registrations?
                                  Check users->permissions in case you are not the admin.

                                  Let me know if you need any more help, I have been using drupal for
                                  quite a while...

                                  - Michael
                                  michael@...

                                  On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 21:15 -0500, Joshua Kinberg wrote:
                                  > Having trouble configuring the ANT site. Specifically, if there is
                                  > anyone out with experience administering Drupal, perhaps you could
                                  > lend a hand?
                                  >
                                  > I'm having trouble with user registrations... I cannot approve any new
                                  > users. In fact, I can't seem to modify any information concerning
                                  > users without generating an error. I can manually create new users --
                                  > but then their info cannot be modified.
                                  >
                                  > Here is the specific error returned:
                                  >
                                  > user error: Duplicate entry 'stevegarfield' for key 2
                                  > query: INSERT INTO users (name, mail, status, signature, timezone,
                                  > created, changed, uid) VALUES ('stevegarfield',
                                  > 'ant@...', '1', '', '-18000', '1102126279',
                                  > '1102126279', '33') in
                                  > /homepages/16/d90044543/htdocs/antnottv/includes/database.mysql.inc on
                                  > line 125.
                                  > warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by
                                  > (output started at
                                  > /homepages/16/d90044543/htdocs/antnottv/includes/common.inc:402) in
                                  > /homepages/16/d90044543/htdocs/antnottv/includes/common.inc on line
                                  > 215.
                                  >
                                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                  > click here

                                  > Service.

                                • Joshua Kinberg
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 4, 2004
                                    Hmm, curiously it does say that I am not the admin user, but rather an
                                    authenticated user. But, I was the first user to sign up -- which
                                    should make me the admin (does my username need to be "admin" too?).

                                    Suggestions?

                                    --Josh