Videoblog definition

  • Yaron Samid
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 28, 2004
      Is there a definition of 'what a videoblog is' that we all or mostly
      agree on?
    • petertheman
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 28, 2004
        > Is there a definition of 'what a videoblog is' that we all or mostly
        > agree on?

        I don't think that's ever going to happen :) But it sure makes for
        some interesting discussion. Right now though, I feel the less we
        define the better. We're still figuring out what it really is, and
        defining something limits it... But go ahead if you feel like it!

        Peter
      • Andreas Haugstrup
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 28, 2004
          > Is there a definition of 'what a videoblog is' that we all or mostly
          > agree on?

          For the article I'm still thinking about I wrote a small definition. It's
          very loose at the moment.

          What is Videoblogging
          The videoblog is a subset of the more typical blog or weblog. Weblogs
          started out as a form of personal website. They consist of frequently
          updated posts arranged in reverse chronological order. Each post can stand
          alone. Usually the reader can add comments to each post. For a more
          thorough explanation on weblogs see: XXX [this is where I'm supposed to
          add a reference].

          A videoblog is simply put a weblog where the focus for the post is on a
          video segment. The written text exist mainly to provide a context for the
          video. Unlike the traditional weblog where the written text exist mainly
          to provide context and/or context for the links. Other weblog sub-genres
          exist for other types of expression: Photoblogs for photos and audioblogs
          for pure audio.

          The blog structure is not only being used for personal websites anymore.
          Both corporations and political candidates are using the blog structure to
          show that their websites are dynamic and frequently updated. I will only
          focus on personal websites in this document. The reason is that with
          corporations, organizations and political candidates the blog is a part of
          a larger market communication and organizational structure. Therefore it
          is more complex than a personal website and beyond the scope is this
          document.

          - Andreas
          --
          Personal: <http://www.solitude.dk>
          File Thingie - PHP File Manager <http://www.solitude.dk/filethingie/>
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 28, 2004
            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Yaron Samid" <yaron@n...> wrote:
            > Is there a definition of 'what a videoblog is' that we all or mostly
            > agree on?

            To me, the word 'blog' generally refers to chronological postings, oftentimes shorter than
            a journal entry or essay. We tossed this idea around over at audioblog.com, and some
            audioblogs have a short lifespan like some weblog entries. (Import a few hundred weblog
            entries and see how many are still relevant vs. timeless).

            Video has a high overhead to it. Just the nature of capturing it and storing it puts the
            biggest hurdle out there. Audio does to a certain degree, but a clean cut short form, and
            VERY linear approach is what would put the 'blog' in 'videoblog'... I'm someone who
            produces longer form video and audio and I don't even think my entries in the Videoblog
            Week project would match what a videoblog would be (in my mind). Then the questions
            are, (and rhetorical at that) what type of linear video would be blogged, and would that
            linear video be of interest to our 'audiences'.

            Or should we just capture and post and see what happens?
          • Jay Dedman
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 28, 2004
              > Is there a definition of 'what a videoblog is' that we all or mostly
              > agree on?

              Right now, a videoblog is just a need to share information, to connect.
              It's also being done by people who know it's never been done.
              a challenge.
              one we're up to.

              I believe that videoblogging is similar to the beginning of photography.
              A small group of serious amateurs concocted the chemistry needed to make
              photographs happen.
              It was very very clunky and needed a lot of equipment and free time.
              But it spread through Europe and into America.
              People took mainly photos of themselves, their surroundings.
              Portraits were a huge business. only professionals could really afford
              camera equipment.
              Companies sent photographers all over the globe to take pictures of exotic
              lands. Most of humanity had never seen these places before...ever.
              Then, a guy name George Eastman in Rochester NY developed a photographic
              process that was dummy proof so everyone could take pictures.
              and everyone did. it was cheap.
              people took photos of their families. artists took different kind of photos.
              business blew up with photo advertising.

              now is videoblogging exactly like this? no.
              but it's starting out with dedicated enthusiasts with tools and time. no
              money involved.
              now they have to find a way streamline the process.
              make the tool, develop a community who gets it, and see what happens.
              Let people play.

              Videobloggers will be:
              college kids will use it for pranks and some serious navel gazing.
              families will use it to keep in touch across the country.
              the extroverts who discover the videoblogging tool will bring even more
              attention to themselves. they'll be definite stars.
              Activists will use it to spread realities and witness...because video is the
              most rich information we can record other than real life. think Rodney king.
              minority and subculture groups will use it to connect to each other.
              it'll be the weirdest and hottest new dating tool.

              I believe Videoblogs are best when they're short and spontaneous. easy to
              make.
              we all tire of TV because it's so filtered.
              Videoblogs also allow you to express yourself to people in ways you might
              not do in person.
              Just like a text blog.
              And just like a text blog, i can be face to face with people all over the
              world. I can get a sense of place, see the lines on the face, truly be in
              their moment. Just by sitting in front of my computer. Nothing between me
              and them. And this has never happened to humanity...ever.

              --
              Jay Dedman
              Manhattan Neighborhood Network
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 28, 2004
                On Jun 28, 2004, at 9:39 PM, Jay Dedman wrote:

                > i can be face to face with people all over the
                > world. I can get a sense of place, see the lines on the face, truly be
                > in
                > their moment. Just by sitting in front of my computer. Nothing between
                > me
                > and them. And this has never happened to humanity...ever.

                since videobogging week, I've been thinking 'videoblog' a lot.

                i bought a pair of shoes this weekend and thought that the salesman
                would have been great to get on my video blog.

                I was thinking about the difference of what that videoblog post would
                have been compared to my standard text based post.

                text = boring!

                now that i've been video blogging for a week, there seems to be no
                turning back.
              • Adrian Miles
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 1, 2004
                  On 29/06/2004, at 2:13 AM, Yaron Samid wrote:

                  > Is there a definition of 'what a videoblog is' that we all or mostly
                  > agree on?

                  no but i wrote a manifesto once when i tried to kick start the
                  revolution that Jay and co did kick start this week:
                  http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/manifesto/

                  cheers
                  Adrian Miles
                  hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
                  interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
                  research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/