Freeplay Music: Warning

  • Erin Nealey
    Message 1 of 34 , Aug 2, 2005
      OK.. I'm presuming that Freeplay Music has been discussed in this
      group before, but in case it hasn't.. I just want to share my
      experience so others can learn from my mistake! I have been using
      Freeplay Music frequently under the assumption that it is.. well,
      FREE. It is my own fault for not reading the terms and agreements on
      the site. I did read as far as, "Free for Private Non-Commercial Use
      (Non-revenue generating or associated)" I thought I was covered after
      reading that, but apparently a videoblog of a mother sharing home
      movies of her kids doesn't fall under that category. I really should
      have read further. Anyway, I was made aware of my mistake and told
      that I was legally obligated to pay for the music I have already used
      ($25/song for a year). So, I removed the videos that only contain the
      music in the intro (I will likely re-do those and re-post them, so my
      apologies when they come out again) but will be paying for each video
      where I've used Freeplay music (will likely be $200 or so). So..
      warning to others: if you want to use Freeplay Music, each song you
      use in a video on your blog is $25 per song per year. It is NOT free.

      I was kind of hoping that Scott Shreer would understand that it was a
      mistake on my part. I thought maybe he would let me simply correct the
      problem by taking down all my videos containing his music. My
      goodness, I'm just sharing cute little videos of my kids. Oh well,
      kind of an expensive lesson to learn. Don't make the same mistake!

      Erin Neale
      Mom's Brag Vlog
      nealey.blogspot.com
    • Clint Sharp
      Message 34 of 34 , Aug 5, 2005
        Pat Cook (Jeeper One TV) wrote:

        > Yeah, but I think that's only for ONE use (i.e. to use the song
        > once). If you're like me and have used the same track (or cuts from
        > it) to open and close EACH & EVERY show, then I think it gets
        > messier. But I'll have to ask them about that (of course without
        > revealing my podcast page, the fact that its already been done or even
        > using the show's email address to inquire) though.
        >
        > Cheers for now :-)
        >
        > Pat

        You people do realize these messages are archived publically right?
        Googling for FreePlayMusic will bring up these posts at some point in
        the near future (probably already does if you go to Google Groups). If
        you don't want people to know who you are, it would be wise to not post
        to this list at all. Knowing you're Pat Cook (Jeeper One TV) I
        guarantee is plenty enough information to lead me to your podcast
        (although I'm on a plane right now so I can't verify that).

        Clint

        --
        Clint Sharp
        New Media Guy & Technologist