Hi from new member-Question?

  • jeff brown
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2005
      I'm new to blogging and I'm looking to vblog, my
      questions are-

      Do I want to use blog torrent? and broadcast machine?

      Or should I use Fire ant?

      What's the diff.?

      I tried to upload broadcast machine to my blog on
      blogger but I couldn't figure it out- on the faq page
      it says to "simply" copy the broadcast machine file to
      the public_ html page on my website, But I don't know
      how to do this! and can't find the info to do this.

      I am learning a lot and want my blog to be great, the
      learning curve is tough for me right now, I know this
      is probably simple to you all, but I've only been
      blogging for a couple of months, and any help or
      advice, would be appreciated!

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Jared
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2005
        hi Jeff,

        BlogTorrent serves as the base for Broadcast Machine. BlogTorrent will
        serve any sort of file(s) via the BitTorrent protocol, but Broadcast
        Machine is tailored for videoblogging.

        unfortunately, I've never installed nor used Broadcast Machine, so I
        can't help you there...

        FireANT is for viewing and subscribing to video blogs, not necessarily
        posting them (not today, at least).

        if I may suggest, please try out Blip.tv - we offer a free video blog
        (yourname.blip.tv) and unlimited video hosting, as well as an RSS 2.0
        feed with enclosures, all in one neat package wrapped with a bow and
        served with a smile.

        http://www.blip.tv/

        signing up is quick, painless, and free. and as always, there is an
        excellent guide here:

        http://www.freevlog.org/

        looking forward to see what videos you have in store for us!

        cheers,

        - Jared

        --
        http://www.spokes.tv/
        http://www.geek-boy.com/

        On Aug 1, 2005, at 8:41 PM, jeff brown wrote:

        > I'm new to blogging and I'm looking to vblog, my
        > questions are-
        >
        > Do I want to use blog torrent? and broadcast machine?
        >
        > Or should I use Fire ant?
        >
        > What's the diff.?
        >
        > I tried to upload broadcast machine to my blog on
        > blogger but I couldn't figure it out- on the faq page
        > it says to "simply" copy the broadcast machine file to
        > the public_ html page on my website, But I don't know
        > how to do this! and can't find the info to do this.
        >
        > I am learning a lot and want my blog to be great, the
        > learning curve is tough for me right now, I know this
        > is probably simple to you all, but I've only been
        > blogging for a couple of months, and any help or
        > advice, would be appreciated!

      • Pat Cook (Jeeper One TV)
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2005
          Hi everyone:

          At 06:41 PM 8/1/2005, you wrote:
          I'm new to blogging and I'm looking to vblog, my
          questions are-

          Do I want to use blog torrent? and broadcast machine?

          Or should I use Fire ant?

          What's the diff.?

          First off....WELCOME.  :-)

          I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.  FireANT is really more of an aggregator/synchronizer, though if you know what you're doing, you can probably set it up to use/transcode/encode you vids into BitTorrent format as well.  I haven't really fooled around with that part of FireANT, so I really don't know for sure.

          Personally, I would just leave the bandwidth issues to those who have it.  Some people prefer to store them on a web host.  If you pay for hosting, this is a somewhat viable option BUT depending on the service provider AND the level of service you have with them, it could also be a "charley horse" as well.  Others use services like OurMedia.  But experience from other video bloggers tells me that all they are is a "middle man" for the Internet Archive.

          Since I don't have reliable web hosting (NO, freebie services like Tripod ARE NOT considered reliable for video blogging.  Their text blogging service ALONE leaves a lot to be desired, but that's best left for another group :-) ) nor do I have a big fat OC-3 pipe laying around somewhere not in use and I have no desire to deal with "middle men", I use the Internet Archive itself.  Accounts are free there and it only takes a few minutes to sign up.  :-)

          Plus, the nice little caveat is they can make MP4 files for you (though I still prefer to make my own :-) ).  This allows people to sync your feed with their PSP (which is one of THE BIGGEST reasons why I use MP4 in the first place).  This way, all I have to do is simply point to the video URL as given by the Internet Archive when I compose my post and then download it so I can get a quick screen shot for the graphical link.  Once this is all done, there's only one thing to do - POST THE DAMN BLOG ENTRY.  And that is done with one click of the mouse.  :-)

          I tried to upload broadcast machine to my blog on
          blogger but I couldn't figure it out- on the faq page
          it says to "simply" copy the broadcast machine file to
          the public_ html page on my website, But I don't know
          how to do this! and can't find the info to do this.

          The services I use are Blogger and FeedBurner.  Blogger will give you the option of using their service (called BlogSpot) or you can publish to the path and file you give.  Blogger has other nice little features as well.  FeedBurner is used mainly to provide an RSS 2.0 compliant feed.  But I also use it to monitor the number of subscriptions I have and to get other information as well.  FeedBurner also has other options and caveats too.  :-)

          Basically put, if you don't know how to do HTML, then going the above route would be THE BEST & SIMPLEST way to go.

          I am learning a lot and want my blog to be great, the
          learning curve is tough for me right now, I know this
          is probably simple to you all, but I've only been
          blogging for a couple of months, and any help or
          advice, would be appreciated!

          Well....Hopefully this information is useful to you.  :-)

          Cheers for now  :-)

          Pat Cook
          patsvideoblog@... (FEEDBACK EMAIL)
          Denver, Colorado