Re: [videoblogging] BloggerVision

  • Jay Dedman
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
      When I videoblog, my workflow is fairly similar to Steve Garfield's.
      www.stevegarfield.blogs.com/videoblog/
      When i was first starting, I realy liked how he was transparent about his
      process.

      Peter and I discovered that digital cameras take those short MPEG's which are
      great for the web. Very easy to download. The whole problem comes with
      optimizing and then uploading and posting. I got the whole process down to
      about 10 minutes. Still too long.

      About two months ago, Peter wrote up the specs for our imaginary videoblogging
      tool that Adrian spoke of.
      http://www.me-tv.org/wakka.php?wakka=DeskTopTool&v=15x7
      With just a couple of buttons you could edit, optimize and upload to your blog.

      I believe that Adrian is right.
      Through videoblogging, I want to express my daily life.
      Just little moments.
      It's like the difference between writing poetry and shooting a feature movie.
      "we need the sketchpad".

      Is anyone working on a blogging tool that you know of?
      Yaron, what exactly are you creating?

      --
      Jay Dedman
      Manhattan Neighborhood Network
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
        The other problem is memory and bandwidth.
        If I post a 10 second video(200k) every day, I will run out of server space
        pretty quickly. I dont want to erase my archives.
        Imagine if I had DVD quality video....how big would that file be?

        And if I have 500 people watch my video every day(not inconceivable), I will
        run out of bandwidth within a week.
        Peter and I are talking about renting our own server and sharing the costs with
        other videobloggers.

        would anyone be interested?

        --
        Jay Dedman
        Manhattan Neighborhood Network
        537 West 59th (between 10th and 11th Ave)
        NY NY 10019
        www.mnn.org
        212 757 2670
      • Yaron Samid
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004

          The solution for memory, space, bandwidth and cost limitations associated with today’s central streaming server architecture is to completely decentralize the distribution of the videos. Viewer PC bandwidth and storage is in abundance these days and significantly underutilized. That’s we’re technologies such as P2P and RSS along with self-publishing and content management innovations come into play. Video blogging is archived (not real-time) by nature, which makes it ideal for P2P-based distribution. I know you’ve been discussing BitTorrent powered RSS enclosures for video subscription and delivery – that’s a great place to being experimenting. Now imagine a push-button desktop publishing tool and global network leveraging the efficiencies of P2P with the convenience of a viewer experience embedded directly in your blog. Subscribed viewers are notified of your new post, launch your site, and watch the video (which has already been delivered in the background to their local disk) directly in your blog post. No server space, memory, or bandwidth costs whatsoever. Does that model work?

          -y

          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
            Mica sent me a link to this woman's website.
            she studies at the MIT media lab.
            looks like they'd developing the kind of video interface that Peter dreamed up.
            http://www.audiovisceral.net/facts/this.html

            --
            Jay Dedman
            Manhattan Neighborhood Network
            537 West 59th (between 10th and 11th Ave)
            NY NY 10019
            www.mnn.org
            212 757 2670
          • Adrian Miles
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
              On 16/06/2004, at 1:18 AM, Jay Dedman wrote:

              > Is anyone working on a blogging tool that you know of?

              I know that Aisling Kelliher was working on something like this, but
              I'm not sure where the project is up to. They were at the Media Lab at
              MIT and also MIT's Dublin Media Lab. they're videoblog is at:
              http://www.audiovisceral.net/

              and more details at:
              http://web.media.mit.edu/~aisling/

              also Eli at http://www.chapmanlogic.com/blog/ is working on stuff to do
              with prosumer tools that would achieve these sorts of things. btw eli
              has a good list of links.

              cheers
              Adrian Miles
              hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
              interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
              research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/
            • Adrian Miles
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
                On 16/06/2004, at 1:21 AM, Jay Dedman wrote:

                > And if I have 500 people watch my video every day(not inconceivable),
                > I will
                > run out of bandwidth within a week.
                > Peter and I are talking about renting our own server and sharing the
                > costs with
                > other videobloggers.
                >
                > would anyone be interested?

                now i need to be careful here, but I can provide some hosting
                space/bandwidth from my server. it is in Australia (in a small room
                downstairs), but i can do this for you for free. the proviso's are:

                1. the content must adhere to fair use provisions
                2. it can't slander, vilify, etc
                3. it must fit the research stuff i'm trying to support (providing some
                kickstart help for videoblogs is ok)
                4. it is a research server which means there is definitely *no* 24/7
                support and minimal backups are kept.

                given all that, is some people are interested in say 1Gb of free server
                space to serve from for a while, let me know and we'll see what we can
                come up with.

                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
                  On 16/06/2004, at 5:56 AM, Yaron Samid wrote:

                  > Now imagine a push-button desktop publishing tool and global network
                  > leveraging the efficiencies of P2P with the convenience of a viewer
                  > experience embedded directly in your blog. Subscribed viewers are
                  > notified of your new post, launch your site, and watch the video
                  > (which has already been delivered in the background to their local
                  > disk) directly in your blog post. No server space, memory, or
                  > bandwidth costs whatsoever. Does that model work?

                  I'm confused by this, though intrigued.

                  by p2p do you mean there may be multiple copies of the vog distributed
                  via p2p to n clients so that when client x requests the video it is
                  served from client y who already has it?

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
                    On 16/06/2004, at 10:07 AM, Jay Dedman wrote:

                    > looks like they'd developing the kind of video interface that Peter
                    > dreamed up.
                    > http://www.audiovisceral.net/facts/this.html

                    also check out
                    http://weblogs.media.mit.edu/mupes/

                    to see the nokia project they're working on.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
                      isn't this what Bit Torrent is supposed to do?
                      it seems too clunky to me.

                      so today we've narrowed down the problems:
                      --we need a simple interface that edits, optimizes, and posts video to a blog.
                      --we need to solve the problem of storage so i can keep my archived video for
                      years to come and have a permanent video presence on the web.
                      --we need to solve the problem of bandwidth so I wont go broke if a bunch of
                      people decide to follow my Moments day to day.

                      The next thing is developing a langauge of videoblogging.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
                        On 16/06/2004, at 11:36 AM, Jay Dedman wrote:

                        > --we need to solve the problem of bandwidth so I wont go broke if a
                        > bunch of
                        > people decide to follow my Moments day to day.

                        as is so often the case Ted Nelson's original ideas would have been
                        handy here. He envisaged a system of micropayments for IP so that if
                        you view my work i earn n cents. if i view your work you earn n cents.
                        if i quote your work same deal.

                        at the moment ISPs pay for bandwidth and data flow, then charge this
                        down the line to end users. so the business model is basically
                        wholesale v. retail, but Nelson's model is essentially P2P, and of
                        course means if your content is popular you earn more, rather than pay
                        more (the irony online remaining that if your content is popular it
                        costs you, which is generally the reverse of other economic systems).

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
                          On 15/06/2004, at 5:09 PM, Yaron Samid wrote:

                          > Quality of service, namely picture quality (resolution and screen
                          > size) is important to mainstream viewer adoption. Its been proven
                          > time and again in the media world. Cable TV killed that antenna on
                          > top of your old TV set because of picture quality, not because of
                          > the 100 channels you never watch. You'll be switching to and paying
                          > extra for HDTV soon to. That being said, I've always felt the
                          > plumbing is only worth the shit it delivers. Picture quality or not,
                          > you're 100% correct, content is THE main driver of viewership and
                          > always will be.

                          I'm too far out of trad. media studies these days to know how accurate
                          this is :-) But i'll still keep the hat on and suggest it is only half
                          true. In Aust. cable uptake has been low, and in Britain it (I think)
                          was kick started by Murdoch buying football rights and sticking it on
                          the satellite. Here digital TV is being kicked off by home DVD +
                          theatre, not to get the digital signal. People are buying bigger tvs
                          with better sound systems so the extra few dollars for the decoder is
                          no big deal, but it is still secondary.

                          now, on top of that, keep in mind in the US you have NTSC and we have
                          PAL (as does Europe) which does look better, so the technical demand or
                          gap is lessened. Also I'd suggest it is not just quality of image but
                          content. Here things like the Soprano's, Sex in the City, Six Feet
                          Under, etc are all free to air but they are all cable in the States.
                          Now, not only is this content that US free to air can't match, but it
                          is also clear that cable has caused a renaissance in US television
                          production. This is because of the creative freedom that cable
                          produces, not because the picture is so much better :-)

                          I'm not disagreeing, just suggesting it is not just a question of
                          supply and demand where supply = better quality images and sound.

                          > I would think picture quality is relevant for video bloggers as
                          > well, whether they shoot a 15 second "life moment" or 5 minute short
                          > movie -- you put in the time to produce the content, isn't it a
                          > shame to have it seen in a choppy 200X100 window? Before you answer
                          > that, let me just say that it is entirely up to you. Our goal is not
                          > to enforce any production value standards on video bloggers, just to
                          > facilitate the publishing and distribution of their video files,
                          > regardless of its size. The key value to video bloggers is that its
                          > an free and easy way to publish video online. If they still want to
                          > create small, low-res files, that's completely up to them. Low
                          > quality encoding standards are actually imposed on people by the
                          > bandwith/costs limitations of streaming. Sticking to that standard
                          > with our technology would be like driving a porsche in 1st gear, but
                          > to each his own. This is really not about picture quality for the
                          > publishers but I'm glad you brought it up.

                          again 50% there. If I want to accept what are basically Hollywood
                          production values translated to the web then sure, but what if I want
                          to be Jean Luc Goddard on the web? Or any other new wave director?
                          What's the web equivalent there? Perhaps it is 320 x 240, stuttering,
                          shuddering video. But of course, the model ought to support all needs.

                          I do argue strongly for the idea that networked video is about desktop
                          screens. it isn't tv or cinema and misjudges the desktop if it tries to
                          be this. why? well the screen is domestic and personal. it is usually
                          viewed by one person, me. right now i have 12 programs running and I'll
                          flip from writing mail to my news browser to my web browser as I need
                          or whim dictates. So the model of content in this environment is the
                          blog chunk. That isn't just 20" bits of video but it is also 20" bits
                          of video that play nicely on my desktop with everything else that I'm
                          doing. For example, right now the best 'vogs' are high quality 30
                          second commercials that companies make available online. my personal
                          favourites have been the US Volkswagen ads. They're 30seconds long,
                          download in easily, play politely, have good production values and good
                          narratives. They don't want to be movies, they don't want or need to
                          own my desktop. Would I like much better quality sound and vision? sure
                          :-) Will it ever be enough? No.

                          > How important do you think it is for video bloggers to have thier
                          > clips seen by many people? Is it a small community thing or are we
                          > striving for mainstream viewership?

                          oh, tricky one. If you're using the blog model then it is more about a
                          community of reader/viewers which could be 10's, 100's, 1000's or
                          10,000's. if you want a lot of viewers then it is easy to get them, but
                          if you want quality readers then it is a case of making decent work and
                          letting the audience accrue. what many in .com misunderstand is that
                          for things like blogs and vogs the start up costs basically approach 0.
                          That means there is no implicit need to garner an audience to recoup
                          the start up and running costs. So if you make decent content, leave it
                          there, add to it, your audience builds over time.

                          in terms of vogs the trickiest part is to develop the same architecture
                          that blogs have. permalinks that point to video objects not html
                          objects, a way of linking to those, and the like. This is what will
                          significantly help videoblogs as a specific practice, the other
                          conversation is to treat video on the web as only a question about
                          delivery. it isn't. it is also about making, writing, publishing, then
                          viewing and linking.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
                            Adrian,
                            I got in touch with the guy, Kow Atta-Mensah, who helped the MIT woman build a
                            pseudo-videoblogging tool.
                            http://www.audiovisceral.net/facts/this.html
                            He said they built it a couple years ago.
                            The only thing they didnt do was give it an FTP function.

                            He said we could possibly get the code for it.
                            would anyone be interested in figuring it out if we could get the code?

                            "im sad to tell you that i haven't made an update to that software in
                            almost a couple of years. it was an undergraduate research project i
                            was helping with back at MIT. i recently graduated and left the
                            institute. i am not sure, but aisling might have had someone take over
                            my role. you can reach her at aisling@.... just tell her i
                            pointed you to her. sadly, i dont even have my old source, but if she
                            does i believe she would be willing to give it to you. sort of messy,
                            but someone java savvy should be able to figure it out. if you have any
                            questions, i'd be glad to answer them."

                            "i dont believe i ever finished that part(FTP)... but there are lots of open
                            source java ftp clients (and servers) available so making the addition
                            is pretty simple. the recording capability i built in was fast for the
                            time (for java anyways) and im sure newer versions of the quicktime and
                            jmf apis have been released which will make an immediate speed
                            increase."

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 16, 2004
                              On 16/06/2004, at 3:10 PM, Jay Dedman wrote:

                              > I got in touch with the guy, Kow Atta-Mensah, who helped the MIT woman
                              > build a
                              > pseudo-videoblogging tool.
                              > http://www.audiovisceral.net/facts/this.html
                              > He said they built it a couple years ago.
                              > The only thing they didnt do was give it an FTP function.
                              >
                              > He said we could possibly get the code for it.
                              > would anyone be interested in figuring it out if we could get the code?

                              well one possibility is that I try to get Apple University Consortium
                              money here in Australia to finish it and release it. Though if it is
                              MIT's then I'd assume they own it.
                              Other suggestions welcome. I can't program Java but this is certainly I
                              project I might be able to get funding for.

                              cheers
                              Adrian Miles
                              hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
                              interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
                              research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/
                            • petertheman
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 16, 2004
                                > Other suggestions welcome. I can't program Java but this is
                                certainly I project I might be able to get funding for.

                                There is a whole bunch of tools needed (videoblogging tools,
                                aggregating tools, ...) for various audiences. And more importantly,
                                standards are needed for those tools (Bittorrent for P2P, RSS
                                enclosures for syndication, ...).

                                Is anyone interested in outlining the various audiences and/or use
                                cases and types of tools/standards we imagine together? We can put
                                them on the me-tv.org wiki. Having good requirements might inspire
                                someone to actually build these things :)

                                As I said before, I started playing around with some requirements for
                                one type of tool on the wiki (it's slow right now, cheap host!).

                                PS: An article in the new scientist mentions videoblogging:

                                http://www.newscientist.com/hottopics/tech/article.jsp?
                                id=99995015&sub=Communications

                                "A pair of sunglasses that can detect when someone is making eye
                                contact with the wearer has been developed by Canadian researchers.
                                Besides being useful in singles bars, its inventors say the system
                                could play a key role in video blogging, a hi-tech form of diary
                                keeping."

                                Jay actually has a pair of funky glasses (they look inconspicous in
                                the Lower East Side in NYC) connected to a video recording device.
                                Jay, wanna try out videoblogging with those?

                                Cheers,
                                Peter
                              • Jay Dedman
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 16, 2004
                                  We've been talking about devloping a vdieobloggin tool.
                                  which would be amazing if we could make happen.
                                  But my question is this:
                                  how would you use it?

                                  I subscribe to all the videoblogs I can find, and most update every two
                                  weeks to every two months.
                                  definitely not daily.
                                  is videoblogging was a more intuitive process would you post video daily?
                                  what would it be?

                                  i know some people are about short Moments, while others are into edited
                                  movies.
                                  Id like to hear from some of the people who havent posted yet.

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 16, 2004
                                    On 17/06/2004, at 4:09 AM, Jay Dedman wrote:

                                    > how would you use it?

                                    well next year i have 50 students who will all be doing at least one
                                    small project around video blogs. so something that lets you:

                                    capture, do a quick cut, set in and out points, publish straight into
                                    your blog CMS.

                                    iMovie does everything except the last bit, but given the things out
                                    there for iPhoto to publish to a blog, etc, I'm assuming it would be
                                    possible to write a plug in for iMovie that would do this.

                                    not sure about the 95% of the world on pcs though.

                                    cheers
                                    Adrian Miles
                                    hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
                                    interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
                                    research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/
                                  • Deirdre Straughan, class of 81
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 19, 2004
                                      > --we need to solve the problem of bandwidth so I wont go broke if a
                                      bunch of
                                      > people decide to follow my Moments day to day.

                                      Seems to me there's something wrong with this model. If your blog were
                                      that popular, wouldn't it be fair for YOU to get paid for it? After
                                      all, someone somewhere along the line is making money from our viewing
                                      you - at the very least, our various bandwidth providers. If there
                                      wasn't stuff on the web we wanted to see (including you), we wouldn't
                                      be paying the providers, and especially we wouldn't be paying them for
                                      the high speed needed to view video.

                                      best regards,
                                      Deirdré Straughan

                                      http://www.straughan.com
                                    • Adrian Miles
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 22, 2004
                                        On 20/07/2004, at 12:05 AM, Deirdre Straughan, class of 81 wrote:

                                        > Seems to me there's something wrong with this model. If your blog were
                                        > that popular, wouldn't it be fair for YOU to get paid for it? After
                                        > all, someone somewhere along the line is making money from our viewing
                                        > you - at the very least, our various bandwidth providers. If there
                                        > wasn't stuff on the web we wanted to see (including you), we wouldn't
                                        > be paying the providers, and especially we wouldn't be paying them for
                                        > the high speed needed to view video.

                                        Ted Nelson had a vision of this in the 60s which largely consisted of
                                        micropayments for *all* content. each time you view my content i earn,
                                        let's say .00001 cent per byte. When I view yours, I pay the same. at
                                        some point some equity arises but the main point was that valuable
                                        (viewed/used) content would be rewarded with increased payment.

                                        This was part of Project Xanadu, well before the WWW was a twinkle in
                                        Tim's eyes.

                                        cheers
                                        Adrian Miles
                                        hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
                                        interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
                                        research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/
                                      • The Dane
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 23, 2004
                                          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Adrian Miles
                                          > Ted Nelson had a vision of this in the 60s
                                          > which largely consisted of micropayments for
                                          > *all* content. each time you view my content
                                          > i earn, let's say .00001 cent per byte. When
                                          > I view yours, I pay the same. at some point
                                          > some equity arises but the main point was
                                          > that valuable (viewed/used) content would
                                          > be rewarded with increased payment.

                                          There are currently companies out there providing micropayment
                                          services and I've though of instituting micropayments on some of my
                                          own material, but the trick is becoming popular enough to merit
                                          people paying for your content. Most of the videoblogs I watch, I
                                          watch because the only thing they cost is my time - and I probably
                                          wouldn't watch them if I had to pay even a small amount. And I'm an
                                          interested party. This is where programming concepts come in (not
                                          computer programming, but market programming). It's like it's cool
                                          that there are public access channels on television, but nobody
                                          would ever pay to see the kind of stuff on public access.

                                          So really the trick is, build a market of people who would pay a
                                          nickel to watch your videoblogging and then you can charge. If you
                                          charge before the market exists, it'll be much more difficult to
                                          even get it off the ground.