Re: mpeg4 doesn't launch

  • wazman_au
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 2, 2005
      I just tried re-encoding the file from QT to MPEG4 using "Optimized
      for Streaming", but the video file doubles in size!

      I own QuickTime Pro but I only have a trial version of Adobe
      Premiere Elements (love it so far!). The Adobe trial doesn't do
      MPEG4, so after editing I save a large QuickTime movie, then pick it
      up in QT Pro and export as MPEG4. There's a choice of "basic
      streaming" or "optimized for server". As I said, the "optimized"
      setting makes the file hee-uge (15MB for five minutes)! Dunno if
      this process of swapping from Adobe to QT makes a difference to the
      result.

      Maybe I'm misguided in thinking MPEG4 is the way to go ... maybe I
      should just do QuickTime. I don't want site visitors to have to go
      through the hurdles of changing control panel settings etc. to view
      the content.

      Maybe something was just screwed up with my QT Pro installation and
      it didn't set QT as the default handler for MPEG4 for whatever
      reason.

      All this heartache for a silly little hobby of putting cooking
      videos on the web! 'Tis interesting, though.

      Waz
      www.crashtestkitchen.com

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Kinberg <jkinberg@g...>
      wrote:
      > What web browser are you using and on what operating system? Sounds
      > like its a local setting on your computer since I can view these
      > videos fine in my browser on both Mac and PC.
      >
      > If you're using Windows, try this....
      >
      > - Go to Control Panel->Quicktime
      > - Select "Browser Plugin" from the drop down list at top of dialog
      box
      > - Select Mime-Types button at bottom of dialog box
      > - Expand MPEG tab
      > - Make sure that "MPEG-4 Media File" is checked
      > - Apply changes
      >
      > -Josh
      >
      > On 7/2/05, wazman_au <elefantman@o...> wrote:
      > > Josh,
      > >
      > > I just get a dialogue box saying it's an "unknown file type" and
      > > prompting me to download it to disk. Once I download it, I can
      > > double-click it and it launches in QuickTime (although that only
      > > happens since I went into the properties of an mp4 file and
      > > associated that file type with Quicktime.
      > >
      > > Bear in mind only the two most recent vids (souffle and
      spongeblob)
      > > are mp4.
      > >
      > > Hope you can help,
      > > W.
      > >

      > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Kinberg
      <jkinberg@g...>
      > > wrote:
      > > > Your MP4 files work fine for me. I'm using FireFox on Mac OSX
      and I
      > > > have Quicktime 7.
      > > > Although it does not appear that the videos are encoded with
      Fast

      http://www.crashtestkitchen.com

      > > to be
      > > selecting

      > > server:

      > > change. I
      > > PC.

      > > download one from
      > > 8&q=MPEG-4+Video+Decoder
      Player,
      > > which you

      > > Service.

    • Devlon
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2, 2005
        Hi Waz,

        This worked for me too..I have been waiting to see the Souffle in action :)

        -Devlon
        http://8bitme.blogspot.com

        --
        Devlon
      • wazman_au
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2005
          It's a-comin! I will work on Part 2 of the vid tonight after work if
          I get the chance.

          Thanks for checking the site for me.

          Waz
          www.crashtestkitchen.com

          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Devlon <duthied@g...> wrote:
          > Hi Waz,
          >
          > This worked for me too..I have been waiting to see the Souffle in
          action :)

          > -Devlon
          > http://8bitme.blogspot.com
          >
          > On 7/2/05, wazman_au <elefantman@o...> wrote:
          > > Okay, I went into QuickTime control panel and set the browser
          plugin
          > > MIME settings to include MPEG4.
          > >
          > > I hope every user who visits the site doesn't have to do this,
          > > otherwise I think I'll be switching to QuickTime.
          > >
          > > Waz
          > > www.crashtestkitchen.com
          > >

          > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "wazman_au"
          <elefantman@o...>

          > > wrote:
          > > > Josh,
          > > >
          > > > I just get a dialogue box saying it's an "unknown file type"
          and
          > > > prompting me to download it to disk. Once I download it, I
          can
          > > > double-click it and it launches in QuickTime (although that
          only
          > > > happens since I went into the properties of an mp4 file and
          > > > associated that file type with Quicktime.
          > > >
          > > > Bear in mind only the two most recent vids (souffle and
          > > spongeblob)
          > > > are mp4.
          > > >
          > > > Hope you can help,
          > > > W.
          > > >

          > > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Kinberg
          > > <jkinberg@g...>
          OSX
          > > and I
          > > > whole

          > > show a
          > > the
          > > browser
          > > > what
          > > the
          > > > think
          > > > Settings,

          > > http://www.crashtestkitchen.com

          > > they
          > > > to be
          > > > selecting

          > > > server:

          > > > change. I
          > > > PC.

          > > > download one from
          > > > > >
          > > http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=mozclient&ie=utf-
          > > 8&oe=utf-
          > > > 8&q=MPEG-4+Video+Decoder
          > > Player,
          > > > which you

          > > http://patsvideoblog.blogspot.com/

          > > > Service.

          Service.

          > > ________________________________
          > >

          > --
          > Devlon
        • Devlon
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2, 2005
            I'll be looking forward to part 2 :)

            I love the cooking-vlog concept. So much that I added you too our blogroll.
            My videos so far have just been the nonsensical results of me playing
            around, getting my feet wet. One day I'll settle on something.

            --
            Devlon