Re: What is a MythTV Box?

  • straydogma
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2005
      There are two different devices that we were talking about in that
      thread. One is MythTV which is "media center" software that can be run
      on a computer running the open source Linux operating system, so a
      "MythTV" box is a computer that runs MythTV. It has Tivo like
      functionality, as well as photo management (similar to iPhoto), DVD
      playing and burning, and some web capabilities. You can learn more
      about it at: http://MythTV.org The incredible thing about this
      software is that it's free, and opensource so people are improving it
      all the time.

      The other thing that we were talking about is Akimbo, which is a set
      top internet appliance box that allows you to get video content from
      the web on your TV. This is done thru their commercial subscription
      service. This is a commercial product and a commercial service so
      assumably it's pretty simple to set up and use. You can learn more
      about it at http://akimbo.com/

      I hope this helps.

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Cheryl Shuman, The One and Only
      :-\)" <cheryl@c...> wrote:
      > I've seen several of you referencing them and I don't know what it is?
      >
      > Thanks!
      > Cheryl Shuman
      HARDCORE style

      > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Pete Prodoehl <raster@g...>
      wrote:
      > > straydogma wrote:
      > > > Also I noticed that Akimbo has dropped their price (at least
      > > > temporarily) to $99. That temps me... But I'll probably just
      build a
      > > > MythTV box eventually.
      > >
      > > Is that a $99 one time fee just for the hard? Is there also a
      monthly
      > > subscription fee as well?
      > >
      > > Pete
      > >
      > > --