some thoughts

  • Eli Chapman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 15, 2004
      Hi Jay. Hi Adrian. Hello everyone else. I'll be poking around and
      jumping into the middle of things.

      Based on what Peter and Jay, Adrian, and Yaron have been
      doing/talking about, I see three types of tools/technologies for
      videoblogging emerging:

      1. Those that extend the functionality of the web (and existing web-
      based software/systems/formats/standards/formats) to make it easier
      (more natural) to link to, reference, and share already
      digitized/encoded/hosted video.

      2. Those that augment (or replace) existing desktop production tools
      to expedite the camera to videoblog process.

      3. Those that make video distribution cheaper and easier, and provide
      videobloggers with control over quality and perhaps even audience.

      In addition, there is an exploration going on into the language of
      videoblogging, of which Adrian has written and explored for quite
      some time. Adrian's use of vogs for personal expression demonstrates
      a significant path for the medium. We can look at the shape of blogs
      to see where this path can lead (i.e., group blogs, topic blogs, link
      blogs (reblogs), cross blog conversations, blog search, blog
      aggregators, etc...) Also, we can look at the evolution of film as an
      expressive medium to see potential directions (i.e., cinema verite,
      mockumentary, genre films, pseudo-reality, etc...). Perhaps we might
      say that the language of videoblogs is anything we want, with the
      provision that the videoblog must communicate or enable communication
      (conversation).

      The problem I have with videoblogging (a problem I'm intent on
      solving) is that it is not a natural extension of what I do with a
      camera and computer. Text-based blogging is. I browse the web, I read
      blogs, I link, I comment, I post. We were all doing it before
      blogging existed, whether for ourselves, or on message boards, in
      email, or in word docs. For videoblogging to be this natural, all the
      video sources I consume and produce daily need to be available
      tv, dvds, and tapes. Then, when 1000s of videobloggers are doing the
      same, the network of reference and usage and personality will emerge.

      I look forward to participating in the group.
      -Eli

      (in New York)
    • Adrian Miles
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 15, 2004
        On 15/06/2004, at 8:49 PM, Eli Chapman wrote:

        > The problem I have with videoblogging (a problem I'm intent on
        > solving) is that it is not a natural extension of what I do with a
        > camera and computer. Text-based blogging is. I browse the web, I read
        > blogs, I link, I comment, I post. We were all doing it before
        > blogging existed, whether for ourselves, or on message boards, in
        > email, or in word docs. For videoblogging to be this natural, all the
        > video sources I consume and produce daily need to be available
        > tv, dvds, and tapes. Then, when 1000s of videobloggers are doing the
        > same, the network of reference and usage and personality will emerge.

        absolutely :-)

        i have a very old piece of work which is actually a sketch in photoshop
        that I turned into a QT movie, when you mouse into it it loads jpegs
        from a Norwegian newspaper's webcams. This is very straightforward to
        do in something like LiveStage, but it would also be relatively easy to
        make a movie that would let someone enter urls and the movie would
        display these urls. in fact I've got a MA student now who is doing
        something like this (he's not quite there yet but check out
        http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/~dpwolf) and is certainly about to start

        AS Eli notes, there is a lot that can or could be done. One of the
        interesting short term things would be, for example, to get David to
        make a simple scriptable movie where anyone could enter the
        other words make a 'sketch' tool that demonstrates an idea, let people
        use it and play with it, etc.

        I'd like to do this too, with a movie that loads two child movies and
        scripts the playback speed of each of the two child movies. I'll build
        this shortly (won't be for a couple of weeks, OS conference next week)
        but will let you all know when its available, what it does and how to
        use it.

        cheers
        Adrian Miles
        hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
        interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
        research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/
      • Jay Dedman
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 15, 2004
          The videoblogging wiki is http://www.me-tv.org
          we're trying to document all the ideas we're having.
          feel free to join in.

          --
          Jay Dedman
          Manhattan Neighborhood Network