Re: BloggerVision

  • Yaron Samid
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
      Great question and point Adrian, and thanks for playing devils
      advocate, the most important part of innovating a new idea/product
      is having people smarter then you shoot holes in it until its
      actually worth something.

      Quality of service, namely picture quality (resolution and screen
      size) is important to mainstream viewer adoption. Its been proven
      time and again in the media world. Cable TV killed that antenna on
      top of your old TV set because of picture quality, not because of
      the 100 channels you never watch. You'll be switching to and paying
      extra for HDTV soon to. That being said, I've always felt the
      plumbing is only worth the shit it delivers. Picture quality or not,
      you're 100% correct, content is THE main driver of viewership and
      always will be.

      I would think picture quality is relevant for video bloggers as
      well, whether they shoot a 15 second "life moment" or 5 minute short
      movie -- you put in the time to produce the content, isn't it a
      shame to have it seen in a choppy 200X100 window? Before you answer
      that, let me just say that it is entirely up to you. Our goal is not
      to enforce any production value standards on video bloggers, just to
      facilitate the publishing and distribution of their video files,
      regardless of its size. The key value to video bloggers is that its
      an free and easy way to publish video online. If they still want to
      create small, low-res files, that's completely up to them. Low
      quality encoding standards are actually imposed on people by the
      bandwith/costs limitations of streaming. Sticking to that standard
      with our technology would be like driving a porsche in 1st gear, but
      to each his own. This is really not about picture quality for the
      publishers but I'm glad you brought it up.

      How important do you think it is for video bloggers to have thier
      clips seen by many people? Is it a small community thing or are we
      striving for mainstream viewership?

      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Adrian Miles
      <adrian.miles@r...> wrote:

      > On 15/06/2004, at 4:07 PM, Yaron Samid wrote:
      >
      > > I'm an entrepreneur in NYC that has recently secured funding for
      my
      > > broadband media startup. Our product/network will enable anyone
      > > broadcast DVD quality video over the Internet to an unlimited
      number
      > > of viewers at no cost. I'm particularly passionate about helping
      > > video bloggers and independent content producers to get their
      visual
      > > stories to the world by entirely bypassing the bureaucracy of
      > > traditional offline distribution channels and the technical,
      quality
      > > and cost limitations of streaming video online.
      >
      > hi Yaron
      >
      > ok, I'm regularly going to play devil's advocate here, ok? largely
      in
      > the spirit of pushing ideas and making things better.
      >
      > so, front up question. What's the big deal about DVD quality
      material?
      > Lots of things work not because they are high rez but because
      their
      > content works, or the content model works. (SMS, early html, early
      > cinema, early radio spring to mind.)
      > I'm not sure if it is a relevant analogy, but on my desktop i want
      > small video works, not monuments. I want monuments I'll go to the
      > cinema. At a major end of the spectrum it isn't about the
      production
      > values in this sense. In the same way I guess that blogs aren't
      books,
      > and don't try to be.
      >
      > What empowers more is a tool that makes it easy to make, much like
      > pencil and sketchpad. We don't need galleries to present our work
      yet,
      > we need the sketchpads.
      >
      > cheers
      > Adrian Miles
      > hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
      > interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
      > research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/
    • Jay Dedman
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
        When I videoblog, my workflow is fairly similar to Steve Garfield's.
        www.stevegarfield.blogs.com/videoblog/
        When i was first starting, I realy liked how he was transparent about his
        process.

        Peter and I discovered that digital cameras take those short MPEG's which are
        great for the web. Very easy to download. The whole problem comes with
        optimizing and then uploading and posting. I got the whole process down to
        about 10 minutes. Still too long.

        About two months ago, Peter wrote up the specs for our imaginary videoblogging
        tool that Adrian spoke of.
        http://www.me-tv.org/wakka.php?wakka=DeskTopTool&v=15x7
        With just a couple of buttons you could edit, optimize and upload to your blog.

        I believe that Adrian is right.
        Through videoblogging, I want to express my daily life.
        Just little moments.
        It's like the difference between writing poetry and shooting a feature movie.
        "we need the sketchpad".

        Is anyone working on a blogging tool that you know of?
        Yaron, what exactly are you creating?

        --
        Jay Dedman
        Manhattan Neighborhood Network
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
          The other problem is memory and bandwidth.
          If I post a 10 second video(200k) every day, I will run out of server space
          pretty quickly. I dont want to erase my archives.
          Imagine if I had DVD quality video....how big would that file be?

          And if I have 500 people watch my video every day(not inconceivable), I will
          run out of bandwidth within a week.
          Peter and I are talking about renting our own server and sharing the costs with
          other videobloggers.

          would anyone be interested?

          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004

            The solution for memory, space, bandwidth and cost limitations associated with today’s central streaming server architecture is to completely decentralize the distribution of the videos. Viewer PC bandwidth and storage is in abundance these days and significantly underutilized. That’s we’re technologies such as P2P and RSS along with self-publishing and content management innovations come into play. Video blogging is archived (not real-time) by nature, which makes it ideal for P2P-based distribution. I know you’ve been discussing BitTorrent powered RSS enclosures for video subscription and delivery – that’s a great place to being experimenting. Now imagine a push-button desktop publishing tool and global network leveraging the efficiencies of P2P with the convenience of a viewer experience embedded directly in your blog. Subscribed viewers are notified of your new post, launch your site, and watch the video (which has already been delivered in the background to their local disk) directly in your blog post. No server space, memory, or bandwidth costs whatsoever. Does that model work?

            -y

            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
              Mica sent me a link to this woman's website.
              she studies at the MIT media lab.
              looks like they'd developing the kind of video interface that Peter dreamed up.
              http://www.audiovisceral.net/facts/this.html

              --
              Jay Dedman
              Manhattan Neighborhood Network
              537 West 59th (between 10th and 11th Ave)
              NY NY 10019
              www.mnn.org
              212 757 2670
            • Adrian Miles
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
                On 16/06/2004, at 1:18 AM, Jay Dedman wrote:

                > Is anyone working on a blogging tool that you know of?

                I know that Aisling Kelliher was working on something like this, but
                I'm not sure where the project is up to. They were at the Media Lab at
                MIT and also MIT's Dublin Media Lab. they're videoblog is at:
                http://www.audiovisceral.net/

                and more details at:
                http://web.media.mit.edu/~aisling/

                also Eli at http://www.chapmanlogic.com/blog/ is working on stuff to do
                with prosumer tools that would achieve these sorts of things. btw eli
                has a good list of links.

                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
                  On 16/06/2004, at 1:21 AM, Jay Dedman wrote:

                  > And if I have 500 people watch my video every day(not inconceivable),
                  > I will
                  > run out of bandwidth within a week.
                  > Peter and I are talking about renting our own server and sharing the
                  > costs with
                  > other videobloggers.
                  >
                  > would anyone be interested?

                  now i need to be careful here, but I can provide some hosting
                  space/bandwidth from my server. it is in Australia (in a small room
                  downstairs), but i can do this for you for free. the proviso's are:

                  1. the content must adhere to fair use provisions
                  2. it can't slander, vilify, etc
                  3. it must fit the research stuff i'm trying to support (providing some
                  kickstart help for videoblogs is ok)
                  4. it is a research server which means there is definitely *no* 24/7
                  support and minimal backups are kept.

                  given all that, is some people are interested in say 1Gb of free server
                  space to serve from for a while, let me know and we'll see what we can
                  come up with.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
                    On 16/06/2004, at 5:56 AM, Yaron Samid wrote:

                    > Now imagine a push-button desktop publishing tool and global network
                    > leveraging the efficiencies of P2P with the convenience of a viewer
                    > experience embedded directly in your blog. Subscribed viewers are
                    > notified of your new post, launch your site, and watch the video
                    > (which has already been delivered in the background to their local
                    > disk) directly in your blog post. No server space, memory, or
                    > bandwidth costs whatsoever. Does that model work?

                    I'm confused by this, though intrigued.

                    by p2p do you mean there may be multiple copies of the vog distributed
                    via p2p to n clients so that when client x requests the video it is
                    served from client y who already has it?

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
                      On 16/06/2004, at 10:07 AM, Jay Dedman wrote:

                      > looks like they'd developing the kind of video interface that Peter
                      > dreamed up.
                      > http://www.audiovisceral.net/facts/this.html

                      also check out
                      http://weblogs.media.mit.edu/mupes/

                      to see the nokia project they're working on.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
                        isn't this what Bit Torrent is supposed to do?
                        it seems too clunky to me.

                        so today we've narrowed down the problems:
                        --we need a simple interface that edits, optimizes, and posts video to a blog.
                        --we need to solve the problem of storage so i can keep my archived video for
                        years to come and have a permanent video presence on the web.
                        --we need to solve the problem of bandwidth so I wont go broke if a bunch of
                        people decide to follow my Moments day to day.

                        The next thing is developing a langauge of videoblogging.

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
                          On 16/06/2004, at 11:36 AM, Jay Dedman wrote:

                          > --we need to solve the problem of bandwidth so I wont go broke if a
                          > bunch of
                          > people decide to follow my Moments day to day.

                          as is so often the case Ted Nelson's original ideas would have been
                          handy here. He envisaged a system of micropayments for IP so that if
                          you view my work i earn n cents. if i view your work you earn n cents.
                          if i quote your work same deal.

                          at the moment ISPs pay for bandwidth and data flow, then charge this
                          down the line to end users. so the business model is basically
                          wholesale v. retail, but Nelson's model is essentially P2P, and of
                          course means if your content is popular you earn more, rather than pay
                          more (the irony online remaining that if your content is popular it
                          costs you, which is generally the reverse of other economic systems).

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
                            On 15/06/2004, at 5:09 PM, Yaron Samid wrote:

                            > Quality of service, namely picture quality (resolution and screen
                            > size) is important to mainstream viewer adoption. Its been proven
                            > time and again in the media world. Cable TV killed that antenna on
                            > top of your old TV set because of picture quality, not because of
                            > the 100 channels you never watch. You'll be switching to and paying
                            > extra for HDTV soon to. That being said, I've always felt the
                            > plumbing is only worth the shit it delivers. Picture quality or not,
                            > you're 100% correct, content is THE main driver of viewership and
                            > always will be.

                            I'm too far out of trad. media studies these days to know how accurate
                            this is :-) But i'll still keep the hat on and suggest it is only half
                            true. In Aust. cable uptake has been low, and in Britain it (I think)
                            was kick started by Murdoch buying football rights and sticking it on
                            the satellite. Here digital TV is being kicked off by home DVD +
                            theatre, not to get the digital signal. People are buying bigger tvs
                            with better sound systems so the extra few dollars for the decoder is
                            no big deal, but it is still secondary.

                            now, on top of that, keep in mind in the US you have NTSC and we have
                            PAL (as does Europe) which does look better, so the technical demand or
                            gap is lessened. Also I'd suggest it is not just quality of image but
                            content. Here things like the Soprano's, Sex in the City, Six Feet
                            Under, etc are all free to air but they are all cable in the States.
                            Now, not only is this content that US free to air can't match, but it
                            is also clear that cable has caused a renaissance in US television
                            production. This is because of the creative freedom that cable
                            produces, not because the picture is so much better :-)

                            I'm not disagreeing, just suggesting it is not just a question of
                            supply and demand where supply = better quality images and sound.

                            > I would think picture quality is relevant for video bloggers as
                            > well, whether they shoot a 15 second "life moment" or 5 minute short
                            > movie -- you put in the time to produce the content, isn't it a
                            > shame to have it seen in a choppy 200X100 window? Before you answer
                            > that, let me just say that it is entirely up to you. Our goal is not
                            > to enforce any production value standards on video bloggers, just to
                            > facilitate the publishing and distribution of their video files,
                            > regardless of its size. The key value to video bloggers is that its
                            > an free and easy way to publish video online. If they still want to
                            > create small, low-res files, that's completely up to them. Low
                            > quality encoding standards are actually imposed on people by the
                            > bandwith/costs limitations of streaming. Sticking to that standard
                            > with our technology would be like driving a porsche in 1st gear, but
                            > to each his own. This is really not about picture quality for the
                            > publishers but I'm glad you brought it up.

                            again 50% there. If I want to accept what are basically Hollywood
                            production values translated to the web then sure, but what if I want
                            to be Jean Luc Goddard on the web? Or any other new wave director?
                            What's the web equivalent there? Perhaps it is 320 x 240, stuttering,
                            shuddering video. But of course, the model ought to support all needs.

                            I do argue strongly for the idea that networked video is about desktop
                            screens. it isn't tv or cinema and misjudges the desktop if it tries to
                            be this. why? well the screen is domestic and personal. it is usually
                            viewed by one person, me. right now i have 12 programs running and I'll
                            flip from writing mail to my news browser to my web browser as I need
                            or whim dictates. So the model of content in this environment is the
                            blog chunk. That isn't just 20" bits of video but it is also 20" bits
                            of video that play nicely on my desktop with everything else that I'm
                            doing. For example, right now the best 'vogs' are high quality 30
                            second commercials that companies make available online. my personal
                            favourites have been the US Volkswagen ads. They're 30seconds long,
                            download in easily, play politely, have good production values and good
                            narratives. They don't want to be movies, they don't want or need to
                            own my desktop. Would I like much better quality sound and vision? sure
                            :-) Will it ever be enough? No.

                            > How important do you think it is for video bloggers to have thier
                            > clips seen by many people? Is it a small community thing or are we
                            > striving for mainstream viewership?

                            oh, tricky one. If you're using the blog model then it is more about a
                            community of reader/viewers which could be 10's, 100's, 1000's or
                            10,000's. if you want a lot of viewers then it is easy to get them, but
                            if you want quality readers then it is a case of making decent work and
                            letting the audience accrue. what many in .com misunderstand is that
                            for things like blogs and vogs the start up costs basically approach 0.
                            That means there is no implicit need to garner an audience to recoup
                            the start up and running costs. So if you make decent content, leave it
                            there, add to it, your audience builds over time.

                            in terms of vogs the trickiest part is to develop the same architecture
                            that blogs have. permalinks that point to video objects not html
                            objects, a way of linking to those, and the like. This is what will
                            significantly help videoblogs as a specific practice, the other
                            conversation is to treat video on the web as only a question about
                            delivery. it isn't. it is also about making, writing, publishing, then
                            viewing and linking.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 15, 2004
                              Adrian,
                              I got in touch with the guy, Kow Atta-Mensah, who helped the MIT woman build a
                              pseudo-videoblogging tool.
                              http://www.audiovisceral.net/facts/this.html
                              He said they built it a couple years ago.
                              The only thing they didnt do was give it an FTP function.

                              He said we could possibly get the code for it.
                              would anyone be interested in figuring it out if we could get the code?

                              "im sad to tell you that i haven't made an update to that software in
                              almost a couple of years. it was an undergraduate research project i
                              was helping with back at MIT. i recently graduated and left the
                              institute. i am not sure, but aisling might have had someone take over
                              my role. you can reach her at aisling@.... just tell her i
                              pointed you to her. sadly, i dont even have my old source, but if she
                              does i believe she would be willing to give it to you. sort of messy,
                              but someone java savvy should be able to figure it out. if you have any
                              questions, i'd be glad to answer them."

                              "i dont believe i ever finished that part(FTP)... but there are lots of open
                              source java ftp clients (and servers) available so making the addition
                              is pretty simple. the recording capability i built in was fast for the
                              time (for java anyways) and im sure newer versions of the quicktime and
                              jmf apis have been released which will make an immediate speed
                              increase."

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 16, 2004
                                On 16/06/2004, at 3:10 PM, Jay Dedman wrote:

                                > I got in touch with the guy, Kow Atta-Mensah, who helped the MIT woman
                                > build a
                                > pseudo-videoblogging tool.
                                > http://www.audiovisceral.net/facts/this.html
                                > He said they built it a couple years ago.
                                > The only thing they didnt do was give it an FTP function.
                                >
                                > He said we could possibly get the code for it.
                                > would anyone be interested in figuring it out if we could get the code?

                                well one possibility is that I try to get Apple University Consortium
                                money here in Australia to finish it and release it. Though if it is
                                MIT's then I'd assume they own it.
                                Other suggestions welcome. I can't program Java but this is certainly I
                                project I might be able to get funding for.

                                cheers
                                Adrian Miles
                                hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
                                interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
                                research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/
                              • petertheman
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 16, 2004
                                  > Other suggestions welcome. I can't program Java but this is
                                  certainly I project I might be able to get funding for.

                                  There is a whole bunch of tools needed (videoblogging tools,
                                  aggregating tools, ...) for various audiences. And more importantly,
                                  standards are needed for those tools (Bittorrent for P2P, RSS
                                  enclosures for syndication, ...).

                                  Is anyone interested in outlining the various audiences and/or use
                                  cases and types of tools/standards we imagine together? We can put
                                  them on the me-tv.org wiki. Having good requirements might inspire
                                  someone to actually build these things :)

                                  As I said before, I started playing around with some requirements for
                                  one type of tool on the wiki (it's slow right now, cheap host!).

                                  PS: An article in the new scientist mentions videoblogging:

                                  http://www.newscientist.com/hottopics/tech/article.jsp?
                                  id=99995015&sub=Communications

                                  "A pair of sunglasses that can detect when someone is making eye
                                  contact with the wearer has been developed by Canadian researchers.
                                  Besides being useful in singles bars, its inventors say the system
                                  could play a key role in video blogging, a hi-tech form of diary
                                  keeping."

                                  Jay actually has a pair of funky glasses (they look inconspicous in
                                  the Lower East Side in NYC) connected to a video recording device.
                                  Jay, wanna try out videoblogging with those?

                                  Cheers,
                                  Peter
                                • Jay Dedman
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 16, 2004
                                    We've been talking about devloping a vdieobloggin tool.
                                    which would be amazing if we could make happen.
                                    But my question is this:
                                    how would you use it?

                                    I subscribe to all the videoblogs I can find, and most update every two
                                    weeks to every two months.
                                    definitely not daily.
                                    is videoblogging was a more intuitive process would you post video daily?
                                    what would it be?

                                    i know some people are about short Moments, while others are into edited
                                    movies.
                                    Id like to hear from some of the people who havent posted yet.

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 16, 2004
                                      On 17/06/2004, at 4:09 AM, Jay Dedman wrote:

                                      > how would you use it?

                                      well next year i have 50 students who will all be doing at least one
                                      small project around video blogs. so something that lets you:

                                      capture, do a quick cut, set in and out points, publish straight into
                                      your blog CMS.

                                      iMovie does everything except the last bit, but given the things out
                                      there for iPhoto to publish to a blog, etc, I'm assuming it would be
                                      possible to write a plug in for iMovie that would do this.

                                      not sure about the 95% of the world on pcs though.

                                      cheers
                                      Adrian Miles
                                      hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
                                      interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
                                      research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/
                                    • Deirdre Straughan, class of 81
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 19 7:05 AM
                                        > --we need to solve the problem of bandwidth so I wont go broke if a
                                        bunch of
                                        > people decide to follow my Moments day to day.

                                        Seems to me there's something wrong with this model. If your blog were
                                        that popular, wouldn't it be fair for YOU to get paid for it? After
                                        all, someone somewhere along the line is making money from our viewing
                                        you - at the very least, our various bandwidth providers. If there
                                        wasn't stuff on the web we wanted to see (including you), we wouldn't
                                        be paying the providers, and especially we wouldn't be paying them for
                                        the high speed needed to view video.

                                        best regards,
                                        Deirdré Straughan

                                        http://www.straughan.com
                                      • Adrian Miles
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 22 12:17 AM
                                          On 20/07/2004, at 12:05 AM, Deirdre Straughan, class of 81 wrote:

                                          > Seems to me there's something wrong with this model. If your blog were
                                          > that popular, wouldn't it be fair for YOU to get paid for it? After
                                          > all, someone somewhere along the line is making money from our viewing
                                          > you - at the very least, our various bandwidth providers. If there
                                          > wasn't stuff on the web we wanted to see (including you), we wouldn't
                                          > be paying the providers, and especially we wouldn't be paying them for
                                          > the high speed needed to view video.

                                          Ted Nelson had a vision of this in the 60s which largely consisted of
                                          micropayments for *all* content. each time you view my content i earn,
                                          let's say .00001 cent per byte. When I view yours, I pay the same. at
                                          some point some equity arises but the main point was that valuable
                                          (viewed/used) content would be rewarded with increased payment.

                                          This was part of Project Xanadu, well before the WWW was a twinkle in
                                          Tim's eyes.

                                          cheers
                                          Adrian Miles
                                          hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
                                          interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
                                          research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/
                                        • The Dane
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jul 23 8:35 AM
                                            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Adrian Miles
                                            > Ted Nelson had a vision of this in the 60s
                                            > which largely consisted of micropayments for
                                            > *all* content. each time you view my content
                                            > i earn, let's say .00001 cent per byte. When
                                            > I view yours, I pay the same. at some point
                                            > some equity arises but the main point was
                                            > that valuable (viewed/used) content would
                                            > be rewarded with increased payment.

                                            There are currently companies out there providing micropayment
                                            services and I've though of instituting micropayments on some of my
                                            own material, but the trick is becoming popular enough to merit
                                            people paying for your content. Most of the videoblogs I watch, I
                                            watch because the only thing they cost is my time - and I probably
                                            wouldn't watch them if I had to pay even a small amount. And I'm an
                                            interested party. This is where programming concepts come in (not
                                            computer programming, but market programming). It's like it's cool
                                            that there are public access channels on television, but nobody
                                            would ever pay to see the kind of stuff on public access.

                                            So really the trick is, build a market of people who would pay a
                                            nickel to watch your videoblogging and then you can charge. If you
                                            charge before the market exists, it'll be much more difficult to
                                            even get it off the ground.