Put your favorite videoblogs on your Palm or Pocket PC

  • maasdw
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 21, 2005
      Hi all,

      Being a Canadian and having Leo Laporte's Call for Help show on
      G4TechTV in Canada, I was interested to see a segment they ran
      tonight on putting video onto Palms or Pocket PCs. I know many of
      you die-hards likely have the top-of-the-line equipment (don't you
      love being a geek - I do) but for potential new viewers of your
      videoblog who may not, this was very helpful. Steve Gibson was
      getting 30 frames per second of beautiful quality and 7 hours of
      video on a 1GB SD card, all of this on a Pocket PC that was 4 years
      old. In a nutshell he showed a free DVD ripping software (which I
      guess the videobloggers wouldn't necessarily need) and as well
      featured Dr. DivX which as many of you know encodes large video
      files to DivX and of much smaller file size. What was especially
      new to me, however, was a new open-source 'core codec' that allows
      these files to play beautifully on even an old PDA. Very cool stuff
      in my opinion. I can't wait to watch my favortite shows from ANT on
      my old Pocket PC! Check out the link to the show notes for all the
      details on 'how to'. I might post a link to this on my videoblog as
      well for potential viewers who might also be interested in doing
      this. http://www.g4techtv.ca/callforhelp/guests/0207A.shtml is the
      link to the show notes.

      Cheers,
      Danny Maas
      TILT - Teachers Improving Learning with Technology (New episode due
      out in 3 days)
      http://tilttv.blogspot.com
    • Markus Sandy
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 22, 2005
        I have a pocket pc (HP iPaq)
        As far as I can tell, there is no quicktime for PPC.
        so how do you view those?
        the majority of the files I see in ANT are .mov's *
        I'm not interested in coverting files as a solution unless it's free,
        very fast and batch

        * note: looking in a directory of 1000 recent ANT downloads from only
        about 20 feeds (mostly the original mac feeds) I found:
        88% .mov
        6% mp3
        3% mpeg/mp4
        3% wmv

        this directory does not contain any
        rocketboom (multiple formats available)
        steve garfield (multiple formats available)
        05project (wmv)
        meiser (various formats)
        (they have their own directories =)

        --

        Markus Sandy
        http://apperceptions.org
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 22, 2005
          Neat! Thanks for the link.

          I'm one of those geeks that actually watches more digital video
          (vlogs, movies, TV) on a mobile device than the real thing.

          Instead of using Dr. Divx to encode video, I use a free program
          called PocketDivXEncoder (http://divx.ppccool.com) which encodes
          video specifically for mobile devices. It looks like future updates
          will have a new name and will no longer be free, but will also
          support devices like the PSP and Treo smartphones. I'm sure Dr. Divx
          has many more options and could give better results, but with
          PocketDivXEncoder it's super easy, fairly quick, and gives good results.

          The other two programs mentioned on the G4 site -- DVD Decrypter and
          Betaplayer -- are excellent at what they do.

          /Kelly
          ---
          http://kellybelly.sytes.net

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 22, 2005
            I watch most of the vlogs that I subscribe to on my PPC. I've found
            that, while I do come across some videos I just can't play, I have no
            problems watching the majority using BetaPlayer. Today I copied 110
            videos onto my storage card to watch on my PPC (I'm a bit behind!)
            and I think there were only 12-14 that I couldn't watch because I
            didn't have the correct codecs. That's what, about a 90% success rate?

            Many times the .mov file type is just a container for some other
            codec. For example, I post .mov files on my vlog but they are encoded
            using an MPEG-4 codec, so I have no problems playing them on my PPC.
            It's when people put up videos that use some sort of proprietary
            codec (Sorenson and H264 are two) that you'll have a problem playing
            them.

            /Kelly
            ---
            http://kellybelly.sytes.net

            On Jun 22, 2005, at 2:12 AM, Markus Sandy wrote:

            > I have a pocket pc (HP iPaq)
            > As far as I can tell, there is no quicktime for PPC.
            > so how do you view those?
            > the majority of the files I see in ANT are .mov's *
            > I'm not interested in coverting files as a solution unless it's free,
            > very fast and batch
          • Steve Watkins
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 22, 2005
              .mov is always just a container, as is .avi

              H264 isnt proprietary, mov is (to the best of my knowledge). h264
              compatibility issues are caused by it being new (and needing quite
              powerful cpu to decode) as opposed to its useablity being controlled
              by just one company with its own interests at heart (eg wmv).

              I had no idea that betaplayer could handle .mov files, Im glad it can.

              Still this doesnt change the liklihood that many hardware devices will
              emerge that support mpeg4 but not .mov, time will tell. My philosophy
              remains 'why use 2 standards (mov and mpeg4) when you can just use one
              (mpeg4 as .mp4)'

              Cheers

              Steve of Elbows

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, kelly belly <kellybelly@g...> wrote:

              > Many times the .mov file type is just a container for some other
              > codec. For example, I post .mov files on my vlog but they are encoded
              > using an MPEG-4 codec, so I have no problems playing them on my PPC.
              > It's when people put up videos that use some sort of proprietary
              > codec (Sorenson and H264 are two) that you'll have a problem playing
              > them.
              >
              > /Kelly
            • ecomputerd
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 22, 2005
                Just curious: are you using FeederReader to download directly over
                the internet to your Pocket PC, or are you transferring vlogs from
                your desktop?

                I use FeederReader over WiFi and Cellphone. I download about 60-
                100MBytes of audio and video over my cellphone (Unlimited Cingular
                EDGE) every day.

                I use BetaPlayer as well. Picard (the author's nick on
                pocketpcthoughts) is reportedly working on additional video codecs.
                It is already one of the most popular video playback programs due to
                its wide support of codecs, its optimized playback of video and
                audio, and its price (free).

                I created a chart that attempts to show the different media players
                for the Pocket PC and the formats they support at
                http://www.feederreader.com/mediachart.html .

                Greg Smith
                Author, FeederReader - The Pocket PC *direct* RSS text, audio,
                video, podcasts
                www.FeederReader.com - Download on the Road

                wrote:
                > I watch most of the vlogs that I subscribe to on my PPC. I've
                found
                > that, while I do come across some videos I just can't play, I have
                no
                > problems watching the majority using BetaPlayer. Today I copied
                110
                > videos onto my storage card to watch on my PPC (I'm a bit
                behind!)
                > and I think there were only 12-14 that I couldn't watch because I
                > didn't have the correct codecs. That's what, about a 90% success
                rate?

                > Many times the .mov file type is just a container for some other
                > codec. For example, I post .mov files on my vlog but they are
                encoded
                > using an MPEG-4 codec, so I have no problems playing them on my
                PPC.
                > It's when people put up videos that use some sort of proprietary
                > codec (Sorenson and H264 are two) that you'll have a problem
                playing
                > them.
                >
                > /Kelly
                > ---
                > http://kellybelly.sytes.net
                >

                > On Jun 22, 2005, at 2:12 AM, Markus Sandy wrote:
                >
                > > I have a pocket pc (HP iPaq)
                > > As far as I can tell, there is no quicktime for PPC.
                > > so how do you view those?
                > > the majority of the files I see in ANT are .mov's *
                > > I'm not interested in coverting files as a solution unless it's
                free,
                > > very fast and batch
              • Ryan Ozawa
                • kelly belly
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 1 12:27 AM
                    > H264 isnt proprietary, mov is (to the best of my knowledge). h264
                    > compatibility issues are caused by it being new (and needing quite
                    > powerful cpu to decode) as opposed to its useablity being controlled
                    > by just one company with its own interests at heart (eg wmv).
                    >
                    > I had no idea that betaplayer could handle .mov files, Im glad it can.

                    I'm not all that schooled in this subject (obviously), so thank you
                    for correcting me. Since it is generally found in .mov files I had
                    just assumed (and we all know what happens when we assume ...)

                    On Jun 22, 2005, at 7:33 AM, ecomputerd wrote:

                    > Just curious: are you using FeederReader to download directly over
                    > the internet to your Pocket PC, or are you transferring vlogs from
                    > your desktop?

                    I download video on my computer and transfer them to my PPC. I have
                    ANT set to automatically download videos, so that gets done while I'm
                    sleeping. Then I can pick which ones I want to watch first.

                    I've tried out FeederReader in the past; I uninstalled it because I
                    found that I really didn't use it much, and I needed the space for
                    other programs that I used more often.

                    /Kelly
                    ---
                    http://kellybelly.sytes.net