Wired magazine

  • JD Lasica
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 13, 2004
      Hi everyone! Haven't posted for a while.

      A quickie: I'm writing an article for Wired magazine about permission culture. I
      recently asked the studios and record companies for permission to include a
      movie snippet or song in a home movie I was creating, and they all either didn't
      answer or they said no.

      Which raises the question: Why should we need to obtain permission in the first
      place? Historically, we've always borrowed from the culture around us (as Larry
      Lessig and others have argued). As we move from a text-centric world into a
      world of sounds and images, why should we have to obtain permission before we're
      allowed to borrow even the tiniest video clip or music sample for inclusion in,
      say, a home movie project?

      So I'm wondering whether anyone wants to be quoted to that effect. You know, "I
      don't see why ... etc etc."

      I've got the other POV well represented, so just looking to balance the piece.

      Would prefer a private email, but you can cc the list if you'd like.

      thanks!

      JD Lasica
      http://www.newmediamusings.com
      jd@...
    • Rick B. Rey
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 13, 2004
        Good timing on this article. Personally, I believe the Fair Use policy is
        too ambiguous and narrow when it comes to non-commercial uses of
        copyrighted material. It needs to be clarified, expanded, and updated.

        I believe in copyright law, but I also believe the Fair Use policy makes
        it virtually impossible for the average person to seek out and gain
        permission to use copyrighted work, even in a non-commercial environment.

        -Rick

        > A quickie: I'm writing an article for Wired magazine about permission
        > culture. I recently asked the studios and record companies for permission
        > to include a movie snippet or song in a home movie I was creating, and
        > they all either didn't answer or they said no.
        >
        > Which raises the question: Why should we need to obtain permission in the
        > first place? Historically, we've always borrowed from the culture around
        > us (as Larry Lessig and others have argued). As we move from a
        > text-centric world into a world of sounds and images, why should we have
        > to obtain permission before we're allowed to borrow even the tiniest
        > video clip or music sample for inclusion in, say, a home movie project?
        >
        > So I'm wondering whether anyone wants to be quoted to that effect. You
        > know, "I don't see why ... etc etc."
        >
        > I've got the other POV well represented, so just looking to balance the
        > piece.
        >
        > Would prefer a private email, but you can cc the list if you'd like.
        >
        > thanks!
        >
        > JD Lasica http://www.newmediamusings.com jd@...
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Eric Botticelli
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 13, 2004
          Regarding copyright law, can anyone advise me on my website's legality?

          I'm assuming its 100% legal, as the Daily Show broadcasts clips from
          all the major news organizations every show, and, for example, the
          movie Outfoxed was 80% clips from Fox News; and I'm guessing they
          didn't request or get permission from Fox.

          www.freespeeches.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 13, 2004
            JD--

            this is a topic that this group has extensively discussed.
            the lines have been drawn.
            everyone agrees that we need to oush for more Creative Commons Licensing.

            But what about your question of using commercial media in your home movie.
            This is my opinion and I know people disagree.
            If Im not profiting from my videoblog, i use anything I want.
            Im comenting on the world around me.
            Why do I feel I have this right...eventhough its against the law?
            Well, I got to stand on the subway everyday and look at copyrighted
            faces all day.
            anytime i watch TV or get near a radio(which is public airwaves), I am
            bombarded by copyrighted messages, music, and voices.
            So if i want to whip out my camera and record this stuff....I do...with pride.
            Ill make the McDonalds image into anything I want.
            ill use Wu-Tang to play with moments.
            Fooling around with TV clips is just plain fun.
            Britney Spears on a poster is toy for me.
            If i ever make money, which is not my point, ill gladly share in the bounty.
            Look, this is the bottom line:
            Commercial Media Makers have succeeded. They are part of my thoughts.
            So Im going to use all of it.....
            though I usually just stick to recording tyhe people around me becasue
            its much more interesting.

            Jay

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 14, 2004
              To Eric Botticelli,

              You asked about the legality of what you're doing over at www.freespeeches.net.

              You're not alone. Two weeks ago, Alex Cohen began a similar site,
              http://www.undergroundclips.com/ and lays out the case for fair use in the left
              column.

              http://darknet.com/