Re: [videoblogging] Links as currency?

  • Markus Sandy
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
      and tag it too!  I think this can be really important

      http://www.luxomedia.com/blog/2005/05/tag-it.html

      markus

      Joshua Kinberg wrote:
      Link to it... or blog it and send a trackback. That's the best of both
      worlds -- a link that is also a comment.

      -Josh

      On 6/1/05, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:

      Jay always says "comments are our currency."  I'd like to discuss that,
      because I think we need to change our philosophy.  The problem with
      comments as a currency, is that while it's good to know people are
      watching, it doesn't actually give me anything but a good feeling about
      things.  If I had my druthers, if people are liking what I do, what I
      want is a linkback.

      For people who aren't real big into the blogging thing, let me explain
      why I think we should discuss this.  Basically, search engines determine
      your importance by inbound links.  Technorati also indexes people by
      inbound links as well (see the Top 100 blogs).  A link to your site is
      far more valuable than a comment on that site, simply for what it does
      to your search engine ranking.  People are now more likely to find your
      site and bring you more comments, more links, etc.

      Clint is absolutely correct.
      Links are the real currency on the web.
      Commets are good amongst ourselves.

      i do a lot of linking on my blog.
      it takes time.
      one thing we're working into ANt is a "blog this" button.
      still trying to work out the details.
      you watch a video you like....you clikc a button...a box appears with
      the permalink andf you add some words.
      should be this easy.

      the power fo what we're doing comes when a video can be viral.
      trust me, the kind of work ive been seeing from people.
      there's no reason why other people wont start linking to it...once
      they find out whats going on.

      so like Clint and Adrian both say, if you really like a video....link to it.
      its the best compliment you can give.

      jay

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      --

      Markus Sandy
      http://apperceptions.org

    • Andreas Haugstrup
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
        On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 07:51:43 +0200, Clint Sharp <clint@...> wrote:

        > The problem I see is volume of blog posts. Obviously, people don't want
        > to clutter up their videoblogs with a bunch of posts to invidivual
        > bloggers.

        Why not? Links are cheap, video is cheap. Shoot short pieces, long pieces,
        all kinds of pieces. Link away to what you're responding to. That's the
        power of blogging.

        - Andreas
        --
        <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
      • Clint Sharp
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
          Andreas Haugstrup wrote:

          > Why not? Links are cheap, video is cheap. Shoot short pieces, long
          > pieces,
          > all kinds of pieces. Link away to what you're responding to. That's the
          > power of blogging.
          >
          > - Andreas
          > --
          > <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>

          True, but each post carries with it a title, description, timestamp
          etc. I'm not usually adding much annotation, so I'm really liking what
          del.icio.us is doing for me to quickly make short comments on vlog posts
          I like and throw them a link:

          http://clintsharp.com/archives/2005/06/02/links-for-2005-06-02/

          Check that out. Instructions to follow.

          Clint
        • Andreas Haugstrup
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
            On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 23:38:34 +0200, Clint Sharp <clint@...> wrote:

            > http://clintsharp.com/archives/2005/06/02/links-for-2005-06-02/
            >
            > Check that out. Instructions to follow.

            Oh, so they are ending up on your blog (just in batches). That's pretty
            cool. I've seen it on other blogs for just random links. I like your idea
            of focusing on just video entries.

            - Andreas
            --
            <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
          • Joan
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
              Yeah, but time expensive.

              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Haugstrup"
              <solitude@s...> wrote:
              > On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 07:51:43 +0200, Clint Sharp <clint@t...> wrote:
              >
              > > The problem I see is volume of blog posts. Obviously, people
              don't want
              > > to clutter up their videoblogs with a bunch of posts to
              invidivual
              > > bloggers.
              >
              > Why not? Links are cheap, video is cheap. Shoot short pieces, long
              pieces,
              > all kinds of pieces. Link away to what you're responding to.
              That's the
              > power of blogging.
              >
              > - Andreas
              > --
              > <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
            • Clint Sharp
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                Joan wrote:

                > Yeah, but time expensive.

                Not really. With the way I'm proposing it would take no more time than
                doing a comment on someone's blog. In fact, the procedure is virtually
                identical. I'll try to get this documented tonight.

                Clint