Re: [videoblogging] Links as currency?

  • Joshua Kinberg
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
      Link to it... or blog it and send a trackback. That's the best of both
      worlds -- a link that is also a comment.

      -Josh

      On 6/1/05, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:
      > > Jay always says "comments are our currency." I'd like to discuss that,
      > > because I think we need to change our philosophy. The problem with
      > > comments as a currency, is that while it's good to know people are
      > > watching, it doesn't actually give me anything but a good feeling about
      > > things. If I had my druthers, if people are liking what I do, what I
      > > want is a linkback.
      > >
      > > For people who aren't real big into the blogging thing, let me explain
      > > why I think we should discuss this. Basically, search engines determine
      > > your importance by inbound links. Technorati also indexes people by
      > > inbound links as well (see the Top 100 blogs). A link to your site is
      > > far more valuable than a comment on that site, simply for what it does
      > > to your search engine ranking. People are now more likely to find your
      > > site and bring you more comments, more links, etc.
      >

      > Clint is absolutely correct.
      > Links are the real currency on the web.
      > Commets are good amongst ourselves.
      >
      > i do a lot of linking on my blog.
      > it takes time.
      > one thing we're working into ANt is a "blog this" button.
      > still trying to work out the details.
      > you watch a video you like....you clikc a button...a box appears with
      > the permalink andf you add some words.
      > should be this easy.
      >
      > the power fo what we're doing comes when a video can be viral.
      > trust me, the kind of work ive been seeing from people.
      > there's no reason why other people wont start linking to it...once
      > they find out whats going on.
      >
      > so like Clint and Adrian both say, if you really like a video....link to it.
      > its the best compliment you can give.
      >
      > jay
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Markus Sandy
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
        and tag it too!  I think this can be really important

        http://www.luxomedia.com/blog/2005/05/tag-it.html

        markus

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        --

        Markus Sandy
        http://apperceptions.org

      • Andreas Haugstrup
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
          On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 07:51:43 +0200, Clint Sharp <clint@...> wrote:

          > The problem I see is volume of blog posts. Obviously, people don't want
          > to clutter up their videoblogs with a bunch of posts to invidivual
          > bloggers.

          Why not? Links are cheap, video is cheap. Shoot short pieces, long pieces,
          all kinds of pieces. Link away to what you're responding to. That's the
          power of blogging.

          - Andreas
          --
          <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
        • Clint Sharp
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
            Andreas Haugstrup wrote:

            > Why not? Links are cheap, video is cheap. Shoot short pieces, long
            > pieces,
            > all kinds of pieces. Link away to what you're responding to. That's the
            > power of blogging.
            >
            > - Andreas
            > --
            > <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>

            True, but each post carries with it a title, description, timestamp
            etc. I'm not usually adding much annotation, so I'm really liking what
            del.icio.us is doing for me to quickly make short comments on vlog posts
            I like and throw them a link:

            http://clintsharp.com/archives/2005/06/02/links-for-2005-06-02/

            Check that out. Instructions to follow.

            Clint
          • Andreas Haugstrup
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
              On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 23:38:34 +0200, Clint Sharp <clint@...> wrote:

              > http://clintsharp.com/archives/2005/06/02/links-for-2005-06-02/
              >
              > Check that out. Instructions to follow.

              Oh, so they are ending up on your blog (just in batches). That's pretty
              cool. I've seen it on other blogs for just random links. I like your idea
              of focusing on just video entries.

              - Andreas
              --
              <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
            • Joan
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                Yeah, but time expensive.

                --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Haugstrup"
                <solitude@s...> wrote:
                > On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 07:51:43 +0200, Clint Sharp <clint@t...> wrote:
                >
                > > The problem I see is volume of blog posts. Obviously, people
                don't want
                > > to clutter up their videoblogs with a bunch of posts to
                invidivual
                > > bloggers.
                >
                > Why not? Links are cheap, video is cheap. Shoot short pieces, long
                pieces,
                > all kinds of pieces. Link away to what you're responding to.
                That's the
                > power of blogging.
                >
                > - Andreas
                > --
                > <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
              • Clint Sharp
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                  Joan wrote:

                  > Yeah, but time expensive.

                  Not really. With the way I'm proposing it would take no more time than
                  doing a comment on someone's blog. In fact, the procedure is virtually
                  identical. I'll try to get this documented tonight.

                  Clint