Re: [videoblogging] Links as currency?

  • Thomas G Henry
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
      could it then be said that the better you focus the richer you are? can that be said now? i think thats the premise of the western world.... maybe

      On 6/1/05, Thomas G Henry <thomasghenry@...> wrote:
      i totally agree with this... i think comments have their place and shouldn't be over looked but certainly it seems linking is more important...

      on a sort fo side nite... on "currency"... for a little while now i've been telling people that in the future (and increasing since the dawn of trade) ATTENTION will be the currency of an information society. look for this truth in the history of advertising and the not so distant sorta sci-fi evoled info society future...

      thoughts on the validity of this?

      On 6/1/05, Steve Garfield < steve@...> wrote:
      Hi Clint,
      Thanks for explaining that.

      I've been blogging since 2000, and linking to blogs, and giving credit
      for where you found content is ingrained in me.  It's how I blog.

      I link to everyone all the time.

      You've probably seen on my text blog how I pick a particularly
      interesting video blog post and link to it with a comment.  Recently
      I've been doing this more frequently, in addition to leaving lots of
      comments...

      I just wrote a blog post about Vlogs on TV and for example I linked to
      a bunch of vloggers including you, Rocketboom, Shai, Sean Gilligan, and
      Jay...

      http://offonatangent.blogspot.com/2005/06/vlogs-on-tv.html

      Links are cool.

      --Steve
      http://stevegarfield.com

      On Jun 1, 2005, at 1:51 AM, Clint Sharp wrote:

      > For people who aren't real big into the blogging thing, let me explain
      > why I think we should discuss this.  Basically, search engines
      > determine
      > your importance by inbound links.  Technorati also indexes people by
      > inbound links as well (see the Top 100 blogs).  A link to your site is
      > far more valuable than a comment on that site, simply for what it does
      > to your search engine ranking.  People are now more likely to find your
      > site and bring you more comments, more links, etc.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      --
      Thomas G Henry
      Producer, DJ, Promoter, Performer

      CABAREt VOLTROn :: INDIe80sELECTRoPUNkDISCoPARTy EVERY 4TH SATURDAY @ SWEETWATERS, KINGSTON NY
      ...5/28.6/25.7/23.8/27.9/24.10/22...
      LucidFluid.com for details

      Also -
      HvEXAS.org
      m0dnAr.com
      3FU.org
      http://m0dnAr.IUMA.com
      www.soundclick.com/m0dnAr
      http://lucidfluid.blogspot.com/

      250 Free Business Cards (plus bonus card stuff for me):
      http://www.vistaprint.com/frf?frf=152298697552

      --
      Thomas G Henry
      Producer, DJ, Promoter, Performer
      Fax n Phone: 845.516.0005
      AIM: LucidFluid2

      CABAREt VOLTROn :: INDIe80sELECTRoPUNkDISCoPARTy EVERY 4TH SATURDAY @ SWEETWATERS, KINGSTON NY
      ...5/28.6/25.7/23.8/27.9/24.10/22...
      LucidFluid.com for details

      Also -
      HvEXAS.org
      m0dnAr.com
      3FU.org
      http://m0dnAr.IUMA.com
      www.soundclick.com/m0dnAr
      http://lucidfluid.blogspot.com/

      250 Free Business Cards (plus bonus card stuff for me):
      http://www.vistaprint.com/frf?frf=152298697552
    • Joshua Kinberg
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
        See Attention.xml: http://developers.technorati.com/wiki/attentionxml

        Listen to Tantec Celik and Dave Sifry (Technorati) explain the
        importance of attention:
        http://www.itconversations.com/shows/detail190.html

        -Josh

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
          > Jay always says "comments are our currency." I'd like to discuss that,
          > because I think we need to change our philosophy. The problem with
          > comments as a currency, is that while it's good to know people are
          > watching, it doesn't actually give me anything but a good feeling about
          > things. If I had my druthers, if people are liking what I do, what I
          > want is a linkback.
          >
          > For people who aren't real big into the blogging thing, let me explain
          > why I think we should discuss this. Basically, search engines determine
          > your importance by inbound links. Technorati also indexes people by
          > inbound links as well (see the Top 100 blogs). A link to your site is
          > far more valuable than a comment on that site, simply for what it does
          > to your search engine ranking. People are now more likely to find your
          > site and bring you more comments, more links, etc.

          Clint is absolutely correct.
          Links are the real currency on the web.
          Commets are good amongst ourselves.

          i do a lot of linking on my blog.
          it takes time.
          one thing we're working into ANt is a "blog this" button.
          still trying to work out the details.
          you watch a video you like....you clikc a button...a box appears with
          the permalink andf you add some words.
          should be this easy.

          the power fo what we're doing comes when a video can be viral.
          trust me, the kind of work ive been seeing from people.
          there's no reason why other people wont start linking to it...once
          they find out whats going on.

          so like Clint and Adrian both say, if you really like a video....link to it.
          its the best compliment you can give.

          jay
        • Joshua Kinberg
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
            Link to it... or blog it and send a trackback. That's the best of both
            worlds -- a link that is also a comment.

            -Josh

            On 6/1/05, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:
            > > Jay always says "comments are our currency." I'd like to discuss that,
            > > because I think we need to change our philosophy. The problem with
            > > comments as a currency, is that while it's good to know people are
            > > watching, it doesn't actually give me anything but a good feeling about
            > > things. If I had my druthers, if people are liking what I do, what I
            > > want is a linkback.
            > >
            > > For people who aren't real big into the blogging thing, let me explain
            > > why I think we should discuss this. Basically, search engines determine
            > > your importance by inbound links. Technorati also indexes people by
            > > inbound links as well (see the Top 100 blogs). A link to your site is
            > > far more valuable than a comment on that site, simply for what it does
            > > to your search engine ranking. People are now more likely to find your
            > > site and bring you more comments, more links, etc.
            >

            > Clint is absolutely correct.
            > Links are the real currency on the web.
            > Commets are good amongst ourselves.
            >
            > i do a lot of linking on my blog.
            > it takes time.
            > one thing we're working into ANt is a "blog this" button.
            > still trying to work out the details.
            > you watch a video you like....you clikc a button...a box appears with
            > the permalink andf you add some words.
            > should be this easy.
            >
            > the power fo what we're doing comes when a video can be viral.
            > trust me, the kind of work ive been seeing from people.
            > there's no reason why other people wont start linking to it...once
            > they find out whats going on.
            >
            > so like Clint and Adrian both say, if you really like a video....link to it.
            > its the best compliment you can give.
            >
            > jay
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Markus Sandy
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
              and tag it too!  I think this can be really important

              http://www.luxomedia.com/blog/2005/05/tag-it.html

              markus

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              --

              Markus Sandy
              http://apperceptions.org

            • Andreas Haugstrup
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 07:51:43 +0200, Clint Sharp <clint@...> wrote:

                > The problem I see is volume of blog posts. Obviously, people don't want
                > to clutter up their videoblogs with a bunch of posts to invidivual
                > bloggers.

                Why not? Links are cheap, video is cheap. Shoot short pieces, long pieces,
                all kinds of pieces. Link away to what you're responding to. That's the
                power of blogging.

                - Andreas
                --
                <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
              • Clint Sharp
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                  Andreas Haugstrup wrote:

                  > Why not? Links are cheap, video is cheap. Shoot short pieces, long
                  > pieces,
                  > all kinds of pieces. Link away to what you're responding to. That's the
                  > power of blogging.
                  >
                  > - Andreas
                  > --
                  > <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>

                  True, but each post carries with it a title, description, timestamp
                  etc. I'm not usually adding much annotation, so I'm really liking what
                  del.icio.us is doing for me to quickly make short comments on vlog posts
                  I like and throw them a link:

                  http://clintsharp.com/archives/2005/06/02/links-for-2005-06-02/

                  Check that out. Instructions to follow.

                  Clint
                • Andreas Haugstrup
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                    On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 23:38:34 +0200, Clint Sharp <clint@...> wrote:

                    > http://clintsharp.com/archives/2005/06/02/links-for-2005-06-02/
                    >
                    > Check that out. Instructions to follow.

                    Oh, so they are ending up on your blog (just in batches). That's pretty
                    cool. I've seen it on other blogs for just random links. I like your idea
                    of focusing on just video entries.

                    - Andreas
                    --
                    <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
                  • Joan
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                      Yeah, but time expensive.

                      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Haugstrup"
                      <solitude@s...> wrote:
                      > On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 07:51:43 +0200, Clint Sharp <clint@t...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > The problem I see is volume of blog posts. Obviously, people
                      don't want
                      > > to clutter up their videoblogs with a bunch of posts to
                      invidivual
                      > > bloggers.
                      >
                      > Why not? Links are cheap, video is cheap. Shoot short pieces, long
                      pieces,
                      > all kinds of pieces. Link away to what you're responding to.
                      That's the
                      > power of blogging.
                      >
                      > - Andreas
                      > --
                      > <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
                    • Clint Sharp
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                        Joan wrote:

                        > Yeah, but time expensive.

                        Not really. With the way I'm proposing it would take no more time than
                        doing a comment on someone's blog. In fact, the procedure is virtually
                        identical. I'll try to get this documented tonight.

                        Clint