Re: PHP wonks? Wordpress enclosure hack needed

  • dnadig
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 1, 2005
      --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Haugstrup"
      <solitude@s...> wrote:
      > What happens the day you put up an audio file? Does the MP3 file
      go in the
      > Quicktime feed or the WMV feed? Which feed does the Ogg Vorbis
      file go
      > into? What happens when you put up a PDF and a Word version of the
      same
      > document? What goes where?

      Well, I understand this argument - and it's the fundamental argument
      for mRSS. I just think it puts a lot of burden on the aggregator to
      impose selection and logic to the process. Let's say someone uses
      mRSS to post coverage of a speech. They post the audio as WAV, MP3,
      WMV and FLAC. They post the video as MOV, WMV, MP4, and say AVI.
      It's all the same "item." (this is a stretch I know, but entirely
      within spec as I understand it).

      Now my aggregator needs to decide what to grab. Both audio and
      video? Preference rules? Now which format: do I impose a cascade on
      it? What if the contents in 3 different resolutions, and WMV is the
      highest, but I prefer MOV most of the time?

      It can get ugly fast, and forcing the user to choose for each item
      is a terrible solution, as it defeats all of the advantages of
      caching. Downloading everything is obviously a hugely innefficient
      answer too.

      So the response is likely "well its up to the content owner to be
      really logical about how they package their stuff"

      Which leads us back to 'why not just use one format per feed.'

      Life would be so much easier if someone (deus ex machina) picked a
      format for us, but then, that would be cowtowing to someone like
      MSFT...
    • Andreas Haugstrup
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 1, 2005
        On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 16:17:45 +0200, dnadig <dnadig@...> wrote:

        > Well, I understand this argument - and it's the fundamental argument
        > for mRSS. I just think it puts a lot of burden on the aggregator to
        > impose selection and logic to the process.

        It puts the burden on the aggregator and the reader. Who else should the
        burden be on? The alternative is to not mix and match media in blogs, and
        that would be very sad.

        > It can get ugly fast, and forcing the user to choose for each item
        > is a terrible solution, as it defeats all of the advantages of
        > caching. Downloading everything is obviously a hugely innefficient
        > answer too.

        You say 'ugly' I say 'beautiful'. :o)
        The idea of pre-fetching the content (overnight or whatever) is not
        something I'm a fan of to begin with. For the very reason you outline: My
        computer *can't* always guess what I want. It can do it some of the time.
        The pre-fetching started with podcasting, and their
        I'll-just-send-you-this-1-hour-audio-file-radio-show-deal. For blogging
        it's just not necessary. I don't pre-fetch Eric Rice's audio blog posts,
        there's just no need. I don't pre-fetch videoblog, there's no need. I
        click play, wait a second, and the video begins playing while it downloads.

        Pre-fetching would be a bigger waste of bandwidth, since I'd be
        downloading a lot of video I'd never see.

        Anyway, I say beautiful because I imagine a more clever aggregator that
        would serve me my options for reading/viewing/listening with each blog
        post. A little sidebar with links to the mp3, wav, mov and wmv files. One
        day I'll want to watch on my computer and I'll grab the mov from the
        aggregator, the next day I'm going biking so I'll load the mp3 to my iPod.

        > So the response is likely "well its up to the content owner to be
        > really logical about how they package their stuff"

        Can't do that. I don't even know what I'm having for dinner tomorrow,
        there's no way I can tell you what kinds of files I'll be posting to my
        blog next month. I've sent weird stuff like Photoshop files and even an
        RSS file as enclosures in the past. Who knows what tomorrow brings?

        - Andreas
        --
        <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>