Re: [videoblogging] wordpress question

  • Jen Simmons
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2005
      Yes! Wordpress does use the time stamp to post entries in the future at
      the time you set it for! That is fabulous. I figured it would post
      immediately, just with a future time marked down.... isn't that how
      Blogger works, it posts immediately when you hit 'publish', and if
      you've marked the date to be sometime in the future, it just lies on
      the blog and says this was published on June 10/some future date.
      It's great that Wordpress interprets setting the date into the future
      as a request for the computer and server to hold the message and
      schedule it to be posted in the future -- and then it posts
      automatically!
      very cool......

      jen

      On Jun 1, 2005, at 4:00 AM, Adrian Miles wrote:

      > around the 1/6/05 Jen Simmons mentioned about [videoblogging]
      > wordpress question that:
      >> Is there a way to schedule post drafts to be published at a certain
      >> time in the future with Wordpress? I'm lining up the next half dozen
      >> clips to post --
      >
      > yes. click edit time stamp and edit the timestamp and then click
      > publish.
    • Adrian Miles
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1, 2005
        around the 1/6/05 Joshua Kinberg mentioned about Re: [videoblogging]
        wordpress question that:
        >does wordpress have an expiration feature? e.g. I want to schedule
        >when a post is removed or unpublished... is this possible?

        not out of the box. might be a plug in. plone does. i don't think
        drupal can. i'm sure other CMS's are able to.
        --
        cheers
        Adrian Miles
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 1, 2005
          Drupal does have this feature...
          http://drupal.org/project/scheduler
          but I find Drupal to be too complicated for what I need.

          Would rather something light weight like MovableType or WordPress.

          This is actually something for my day job at the TV station where I
          work. We have a scrolling news crawl on our screen that I've set up to
          read RSS feeds -- we use MovableType as a publishing interface. The
          "future publish" function of MT seems a little buggy, and as far as I
          know there is no ability to expire entries as I'd like. This is
          actually really important for publishing a crawl -- you really want to
          be able to say when something gets removed.

          Maybe I should just bite the bullet and set up a special Drupal
          install with the Scheduler module enabled... It may end up being more
          flexible than MT in the long run...

          -Josh

          On 6/1/05, Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@...> wrote:
          > around the 1/6/05 Joshua Kinberg mentioned about Re: [videoblogging]
          > wordpress question that:
          > >does wordpress have an expiration feature? e.g. I want to schedule
          > >when a post is removed or unpublished... is this possible?
          >
          > not out of the box. might be a plug in. plone does. i don't think
          > drupal can. i'm sure other CMS's are able to.
          > --
          > cheers
          > Adrian Miles

        • Richard Show
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 17, 2006
            In wordpress, is it possible to make a post that will go in a category, but not on the main page?

            Example:

            I have a category called "trains" and I have a feed associated with that category.

            I create a post about trains and I want people who subscribe to my trains category to retrieve it via that feed, but I don't want people, who subscribe to the general wordpress feed to retrieve it.

            (Also, I don't want people who visit the main page, rather than that category's page to see it).

            ... thanks ... Richard

            --
            Richard
            http://www.richardshow.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 17, 2006
              Hmmm,
              I've never tried it but this might do the trick. In wordpress you can create a "page." These are like posts that don't show up in the blog. I use them for my about page and my video archive. You can assign a category to them too. I'm only guessing that the feed would work (I don't see why it wouldn't). Give that a try.
              -Verdi

              On 3/17/06, Richard Show <richard@...> wrote:
              In wordpress, is it possible to make a post that will go in a category, but not on the main page?

              Example:

              I have a category called "trains" and I have a feed associated with that category.

              I create a post about trains and I want people who subscribe to my trains category to retrieve it via that feed, but I don't want people, who subscribe to the general wordpress feed to retrieve it.

              (Also, I don't want people who visit the main page, rather than that category's page to see it).

              ... thanks ... Richard

              --
              Richard
              http://www.richardshow.com

              Individual Fireant Use

              Me: http://michaelverdi.com
              R&D: http://evilvlog.com
              Learn to videoblog: http://freevlog.org
              Learn to videoblog in person: http://node101.org
            • Steve Garfield
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 17, 2006
                What you want to do can be done.

                It requires coding the loop of Wordpress not to display posts from the
                trains category when someone is on the front page.

                There are code samples out there to do this since I looked into it once.

                Maybe there's a plug in to do it too?

                PS. Richard - email to your address bounced back to me.

                --Steve
                Witty tag-line goes here

                On Mar 17, 2006, at 8:22 AM, Richard Show wrote:

                > In wordpress, is it possible to make a post that will go in a
                > category, but not on the main page?
                >
                > Example:
                >
                > I have a category called "trains" and I have a feed associated with
                > that category.
                >
                > I create a post about trains and I want people who subscribe to my
                > trains category to retrieve it via that feed, but I don't want people,
                > who subscribe to the general wordpress feed to retrieve it.
                >
                > (Also, I don't want people who visit the main page, rather than that
                > category's page to see it).
                >
                > ... thanks ... Richard
                >
                > --
                > Richard
                > http://www.richardshow.com
              • Pete Prodoehl
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 17, 2006
                  Richard Show wrote:
                  > In wordpress, is it possible to make a post that will go in a category, but
                  > not on the main page?
                  >
                  > Example:
                  >
                  > I have a category called "trains" and I have a feed associated with that
                  > category.
                  >
                  > I create a post about trains and I want people who subscribe to my trains
                  > category to retrieve it via that feed, but I don't want people, who
                  > subscribe to the general wordpress feed to retrieve it.
                  >
                  > (Also, I don't want people who visit the main page, rather than that
                  > category's page to see it).

                  This can be done. I'm not sure, but the last time I saw this question,
                  the answer was to hack at a few files that deal with 'the loop'
                  (index.php, wp-rss2.php, etc) so that they excluded the id of the
                  category in question.

                  Your best bet is the WordPress Codex or Support forum for actual example
                  code and assistance with it:

                  http://codex.wordpress.org/

                  http://wordpress.org/support/

                  Pete

                  --
                  http://tinkernet.org/
                  videoblog for the future...
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 17, 2006
                    This gets a little tricky since the specific category may be in an
                    array. You'll want to check it...

                    if (0 == count($post_category) || !is_array($post_category)) {
                    $post_category = array(get_option('default_category'));
                    }

                    Another issue is when there is a WP upgrade you'll need to make sure
                    you make the appropriate changes all over again, which is tedious.

                    Persaonlly, I'd look into Verdi's idea about using pages.

                    -Matt
                    http://vlogmap.org
                    http://ridertech.com
                    http://leanbackvids.com