Re: [videoblogging] wordpress question

  • Adrian Miles
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2005
      around the 1/6/05 Jen Simmons mentioned about [videoblogging]
      wordpress question that:
      >Is there a way to schedule post drafts to be published at a certain
      >time in the future with Wordpress? I'm lining up the next half dozen
      >clips to post --

      yes. click edit time stamp and edit the timestamp and then click publish.
      --
      cheers
      Adrian Miles
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1, 2005
        Jen Simmons wrote:
        Is there a way to schedule post drafts to be published at a certain
        time in the future with Wordpress? I'm lining up the next half dozen
        clips to post -- but I don't want to put them up right now, I want to
        post once every two to three days or so. I'm too busy to sit down and
        do them one at a time that often, so I am editing, compressing,
        uploading and writing the posts for two weeks worth of entries in one
        sitting. I've created the posts as drafts in Wordpress -- very dandy --
        and I'm looking at the space where I can specify the date and time of
        the post. I'd love it if that date and time was a kind of timer that
        would go off -- and Wordpress would say, hey, it's now June 3rd, let me
        post this for you. I think it'd be especially helpful for videobloggers
        -- creating video and posting them is so very labor intensive... and
        yet having a regular stream of content is so important. Like T.V. --
        they shoot a season in one block of time, and then spread out the
        broadcast of those shows over a longer period of time...
        anybody know if the technology supports doing this (yet / or any
        developers out there who want to invent this?)

        jenSimmons
        http://www.emergingawareness.org
        http://www.inclinationsthemovie.com
        http://www.jensimmons.com

        In the edit screen if you put the check in "Edit Timestamp" and set the time to sometime in the future, I believe this will accomplish what you're looking for.

        Clint
      • Joshua Kinberg
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 1, 2005
          does wordpress have an expiration feature? e.g. I want to schedule
          when a post is removed or unpublished... is this possible?

          -Josh

          On 6/1/05, Clint Sharp <clint@...> wrote:
          > Jen Simmons wrote:
          > Is there a way to schedule post drafts to be published at a certain
          > time in the future with Wordpress? I'm lining up the next half dozen
          > clips to post -- but I don't want to put them up right now, I want to
          > post once every two to three days or so. I'm too busy to sit down and
          > do them one at a time that often, so I am editing, compressing,
          > uploading and writing the posts for two weeks worth of entries in one
          > sitting. I've created the posts as drafts in Wordpress -- very dandy --
          > and I'm looking at the space where I can specify the date and time of
          > the post. I'd love it if that date and time was a kind of timer that
          > would go off -- and Wordpress would say, hey, it's now June 3rd, let me
          > post this for you. I think it'd be especially helpful for videobloggers
          > -- creating video and posting them is so very labor intensive... and
          > yet having a regular stream of content is so important. Like T.V. --
          > they shoot a season in one block of time, and then spread out the
          > broadcast of those shows over a longer period of time...
          > anybody know if the technology supports doing this (yet / or any
          > developers out there who want to invent this?)
          >
          > jenSimmons
          > http://www.emergingawareness.org
          > http://www.inclinationsthemovie.com
          > http://www.jensimmons.com
          >

          > In the edit screen if you put the check in "Edit Timestamp" and set the
          > time to sometime in the future, I believe this will accomplish what you're
          > looking for.
          >
          > Clint

        • Jen Simmons
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 1, 2005
            Yes! Wordpress does use the time stamp to post entries in the future at
            the time you set it for! That is fabulous. I figured it would post
            immediately, just with a future time marked down.... isn't that how
            Blogger works, it posts immediately when you hit 'publish', and if
            you've marked the date to be sometime in the future, it just lies on
            the blog and says this was published on June 10/some future date.
            It's great that Wordpress interprets setting the date into the future
            as a request for the computer and server to hold the message and
            schedule it to be posted in the future -- and then it posts
            automatically!
            very cool......

            jen

            On Jun 1, 2005, at 4:00 AM, Adrian Miles wrote:

            > around the 1/6/05 Jen Simmons mentioned about [videoblogging]
            > wordpress question that:
            >> Is there a way to schedule post drafts to be published at a certain
            >> time in the future with Wordpress? I'm lining up the next half dozen
            >> clips to post --
            >
            > yes. click edit time stamp and edit the timestamp and then click
            > publish.
          • Adrian Miles
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 1, 2005
              around the 1/6/05 Joshua Kinberg mentioned about Re: [videoblogging]
              wordpress question that:
              >does wordpress have an expiration feature? e.g. I want to schedule
              >when a post is removed or unpublished... is this possible?

              not out of the box. might be a plug in. plone does. i don't think
              drupal can. i'm sure other CMS's are able to.
              --
              cheers
              Adrian Miles
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 1, 2005
                Drupal does have this feature...
                http://drupal.org/project/scheduler
                but I find Drupal to be too complicated for what I need.

                Would rather something light weight like MovableType or WordPress.

                This is actually something for my day job at the TV station where I
                work. We have a scrolling news crawl on our screen that I've set up to
                read RSS feeds -- we use MovableType as a publishing interface. The
                "future publish" function of MT seems a little buggy, and as far as I
                know there is no ability to expire entries as I'd like. This is
                actually really important for publishing a crawl -- you really want to
                be able to say when something gets removed.

                Maybe I should just bite the bullet and set up a special Drupal
                install with the Scheduler module enabled... It may end up being more
                flexible than MT in the long run...

                -Josh

                On 6/1/05, Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@...> wrote:
                > around the 1/6/05 Joshua Kinberg mentioned about Re: [videoblogging]
                > wordpress question that:
                > >does wordpress have an expiration feature? e.g. I want to schedule
                > >when a post is removed or unpublished... is this possible?
                >
                > not out of the box. might be a plug in. plone does. i don't think
                > drupal can. i'm sure other CMS's are able to.
                > --
                > cheers
                > Adrian Miles

              • Richard Show
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 17, 2006
                  In wordpress, is it possible to make a post that will go in a category, but not on the main page?

                  Example:

                  I have a category called "trains" and I have a feed associated with that category.

                  I create a post about trains and I want people who subscribe to my trains category to retrieve it via that feed, but I don't want people, who subscribe to the general wordpress feed to retrieve it.

                  (Also, I don't want people who visit the main page, rather than that category's page to see it).

                  ... thanks ... Richard

                  --
                  Richard
                  http://www.richardshow.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 17, 2006
                    Hmmm,
                    I've never tried it but this might do the trick. In wordpress you can create a "page." These are like posts that don't show up in the blog. I use them for my about page and my video archive. You can assign a category to them too. I'm only guessing that the feed would work (I don't see why it wouldn't). Give that a try.
                    -Verdi

                    On 3/17/06, Richard Show <richard@...> wrote:
                    In wordpress, is it possible to make a post that will go in a category, but not on the main page?

                    Example:

                    I have a category called "trains" and I have a feed associated with that category.

                    I create a post about trains and I want people who subscribe to my trains category to retrieve it via that feed, but I don't want people, who subscribe to the general wordpress feed to retrieve it.

                    (Also, I don't want people who visit the main page, rather than that category's page to see it).

                    ... thanks ... Richard

                    --
                    Richard
                    http://www.richardshow.com

                    Individual Fireant Use

                    Me: http://michaelverdi.com
                    R&D: http://evilvlog.com
                    Learn to videoblog: http://freevlog.org
                    Learn to videoblog in person: http://node101.org
                  • Steve Garfield
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 17, 2006
                      What you want to do can be done.

                      It requires coding the loop of Wordpress not to display posts from the
                      trains category when someone is on the front page.

                      There are code samples out there to do this since I looked into it once.

                      Maybe there's a plug in to do it too?

                      PS. Richard - email to your address bounced back to me.

                      --Steve
                      Witty tag-line goes here

                      On Mar 17, 2006, at 8:22 AM, Richard Show wrote:

                      > In wordpress, is it possible to make a post that will go in a
                      > category, but not on the main page?
                      >
                      > Example:
                      >
                      > I have a category called "trains" and I have a feed associated with
                      > that category.
                      >
                      > I create a post about trains and I want people who subscribe to my
                      > trains category to retrieve it via that feed, but I don't want people,
                      > who subscribe to the general wordpress feed to retrieve it.
                      >
                      > (Also, I don't want people who visit the main page, rather than that
                      > category's page to see it).
                      >
                      > ... thanks ... Richard
                      >
                      > --
                      > Richard
                      > http://www.richardshow.com
                    • Pete Prodoehl
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 17, 2006
                        Richard Show wrote:
                        > In wordpress, is it possible to make a post that will go in a category, but
                        > not on the main page?
                        >
                        > Example:
                        >
                        > I have a category called "trains" and I have a feed associated with that
                        > category.
                        >
                        > I create a post about trains and I want people who subscribe to my trains
                        > category to retrieve it via that feed, but I don't want people, who
                        > subscribe to the general wordpress feed to retrieve it.
                        >
                        > (Also, I don't want people who visit the main page, rather than that
                        > category's page to see it).

                        This can be done. I'm not sure, but the last time I saw this question,
                        the answer was to hack at a few files that deal with 'the loop'
                        (index.php, wp-rss2.php, etc) so that they excluded the id of the
                        category in question.

                        Your best bet is the WordPress Codex or Support forum for actual example
                        code and assistance with it:

                        http://codex.wordpress.org/

                        http://wordpress.org/support/

                        Pete

                        --
                        http://tinkernet.org/
                        videoblog for the future...
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 17, 2006
                          This gets a little tricky since the specific category may be in an
                          array. You'll want to check it...

                          if (0 == count($post_category) || !is_array($post_category)) {
                          $post_category = array(get_option('default_category'));
                          }

                          Another issue is when there is a WP upgrade you'll need to make sure
                          you make the appropriate changes all over again, which is tedious.

                          Persaonlly, I'd look into Verdi's idea about using pages.

                          -Matt
                          http://vlogmap.org
                          http://ridertech.com
                          http://leanbackvids.com