Re: [videoblogging] Links as currency?

  • Adrian Miles
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
      around the 31/5/05 Clint Sharp mentioned about [videoblogging] Links
      as currency? that:
      >Now, how do you easily find out if I"m talking about you? Easy!
      >Pubsub, Technorati and Blogpulse. Setup RSS feeds for anyone linking to
      >your site URL and to your name. This'll tell you nearly instantly
      >whether I've written about you, and you get the added addition of having
      >another inbound link to your site.

      i have written papers on links, Jill Walker has exemplary theory
      paper on links (don't have reference to hand) see mark bernstein's
      keynote at blogtalk downunder (www.incsub.org/blogtalk) and the role
      of the long tail.

      google is about link economies. as you say, technorati etc about link
      economies. my garrulousness in the vog where i quote Michael V.
      carries on about significance of links.

      comments: well, they let crap appear (spam, silliness, nad lots of
      'me too'). but to write a blog post and link from there: that builds
      a web, it builds the web.

      thought experiment. a blog (A blog) with lots of comments. Guess
      what, it isn't a blog. You can't have A blog, you can only have blogS
      (in the plural). because it is always and only about connections
      between parts. (David Weinberger's small pieces is brilliant for this
      if you want a simple intro). and yes, I'm raving. :-)

      comments are old media, it is about aggregating others to me. links
      are a gift economy. my 'authority' (in technorati, google, etc) is
      about links *to* me. That is outside of my control, so if you link to
      me, you endorse me (or not) and it increases my authority. There's
      nothing I can do to buy this. bigger faster blog doesn't = bigger
      better authority. Louder doesn't work either. Saturation doesn't
      work. Old media models break here. I have to earn it, not buy it.

      i'll shut up now. i have written like 4 or 5 essays about links (a
      sadly misunderstood object), and my videoblogs are all about (if you
      like) thinking of video as an internally linked object (3 video
      tracks, with links - called scripts - that talk to them).

      rant off

      --
      cheers
      Adrian Miles
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
        Hi Clint,
        Thanks for explaining that.

        I've been blogging since 2000, and linking to blogs, and giving credit
        for where you found content is ingrained in me. It's how I blog.

        I link to everyone all the time.

        You've probably seen on my text blog how I pick a particularly
        interesting video blog post and link to it with a comment. Recently
        I've been doing this more frequently, in addition to leaving lots of
        comments...

        I just wrote a blog post about Vlogs on TV and for example I linked to
        a bunch of vloggers including you, Rocketboom, Shai, Sean Gilligan, and
        Jay...

        http://offonatangent.blogspot.com/2005/06/vlogs-on-tv.html

        Links are cool.

        --Steve
        http://stevegarfield.com

        On Jun 1, 2005, at 1:51 AM, Clint Sharp wrote:

        > For people who aren't real big into the blogging thing, let me explain
        > why I think we should discuss this. Basically, search engines
        > determine
        > your importance by inbound links. Technorati also indexes people by
        > inbound links as well (see the Top 100 blogs). A link to your site is
        > far more valuable than a comment on that site, simply for what it does
        > to your search engine ranking. People are now more likely to find your
        > site and bring you more comments, more links, etc.
      • Thomas G Henry
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
          i totally agree with this... i think comments have their place and shouldn't be over looked but certainly it seems linking is more important...

          on a sort fo side nite... on "currency"... for a little while now i've been telling people that in the future (and increasing since the dawn of trade) ATTENTION will be the currency of an information society. look for this truth in the history of advertising and the not so distant sorta sci-fi evoled info society future...

          thoughts on the validity of this?

          On 6/1/05, Steve Garfield < steve@...> wrote:
          Hi Clint,
          Thanks for explaining that.

          I've been blogging since 2000, and linking to blogs, and giving credit
          for where you found content is ingrained in me.  It's how I blog.

          I link to everyone all the time.

          You've probably seen on my text blog how I pick a particularly
          interesting video blog post and link to it with a comment.  Recently
          I've been doing this more frequently, in addition to leaving lots of
          comments...

          I just wrote a blog post about Vlogs on TV and for example I linked to
          a bunch of vloggers including you, Rocketboom, Shai, Sean Gilligan, and
          Jay...

          http://offonatangent.blogspot.com/2005/06/vlogs-on-tv.html

          Links are cool.

          --Steve
          http://stevegarfield.com

          On Jun 1, 2005, at 1:51 AM, Clint Sharp wrote:

          > For people who aren't real big into the blogging thing, let me explain
          > why I think we should discuss this.  Basically, search engines
          > determine
          > your importance by inbound links.  Technorati also indexes people by
          > inbound links as well (see the Top 100 blogs).  A link to your site is
          > far more valuable than a comment on that site, simply for what it does
          > to your search engine ranking.  People are now more likely to find your
          > site and bring you more comments, more links, etc.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          --
          Thomas G Henry
          Producer, DJ, Promoter, Performer

          CABAREt VOLTROn :: INDIe80sELECTRoPUNkDISCoPARTy EVERY 4TH SATURDAY @ SWEETWATERS, KINGSTON NY
          ...5/28.6/25.7/23.8/27.9/24.10/22...
          LucidFluid.com for details

          Also -
          HvEXAS.org
          m0dnAr.com
          3FU.org
          http://m0dnAr.IUMA.com
          www.soundclick.com/m0dnAr
          http://lucidfluid.blogspot.com/

          250 Free Business Cards (plus bonus card stuff for me):
          http://www.vistaprint.com/frf?frf=152298697552
        • Thomas G Henry
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
            could it then be said that the better you focus the richer you are? can that be said now? i think thats the premise of the western world.... maybe

          • Joshua Kinberg
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
              See Attention.xml: http://developers.technorati.com/wiki/attentionxml

              Listen to Tantec Celik and Dave Sifry (Technorati) explain the
              importance of attention:
              http://www.itconversations.com/shows/detail190.html

              -Josh

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
                > Jay always says "comments are our currency." I'd like to discuss that,
                > because I think we need to change our philosophy. The problem with
                > comments as a currency, is that while it's good to know people are
                > watching, it doesn't actually give me anything but a good feeling about
                > things. If I had my druthers, if people are liking what I do, what I
                > want is a linkback.
                >
                > For people who aren't real big into the blogging thing, let me explain
                > why I think we should discuss this. Basically, search engines determine
                > your importance by inbound links. Technorati also indexes people by
                > inbound links as well (see the Top 100 blogs). A link to your site is
                > far more valuable than a comment on that site, simply for what it does
                > to your search engine ranking. People are now more likely to find your
                > site and bring you more comments, more links, etc.

                Clint is absolutely correct.
                Links are the real currency on the web.
                Commets are good amongst ourselves.

                i do a lot of linking on my blog.
                it takes time.
                one thing we're working into ANt is a "blog this" button.
                still trying to work out the details.
                you watch a video you like....you clikc a button...a box appears with
                the permalink andf you add some words.
                should be this easy.

                the power fo what we're doing comes when a video can be viral.
                trust me, the kind of work ive been seeing from people.
                there's no reason why other people wont start linking to it...once
                they find out whats going on.

                so like Clint and Adrian both say, if you really like a video....link to it.
                its the best compliment you can give.

                jay
              • Joshua Kinberg
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
                  Link to it... or blog it and send a trackback. That's the best of both
                  worlds -- a link that is also a comment.

                  -Josh

                  On 6/1/05, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote:
                  > > Jay always says "comments are our currency." I'd like to discuss that,
                  > > because I think we need to change our philosophy. The problem with
                  > > comments as a currency, is that while it's good to know people are
                  > > watching, it doesn't actually give me anything but a good feeling about
                  > > things. If I had my druthers, if people are liking what I do, what I
                  > > want is a linkback.
                  > >
                  > > For people who aren't real big into the blogging thing, let me explain
                  > > why I think we should discuss this. Basically, search engines determine
                  > > your importance by inbound links. Technorati also indexes people by
                  > > inbound links as well (see the Top 100 blogs). A link to your site is
                  > > far more valuable than a comment on that site, simply for what it does
                  > > to your search engine ranking. People are now more likely to find your
                  > > site and bring you more comments, more links, etc.
                  >

                  > Clint is absolutely correct.
                  > Links are the real currency on the web.
                  > Commets are good amongst ourselves.
                  >
                  > i do a lot of linking on my blog.
                  > it takes time.
                  > one thing we're working into ANt is a "blog this" button.
                  > still trying to work out the details.
                  > you watch a video you like....you clikc a button...a box appears with
                  > the permalink andf you add some words.
                  > should be this easy.
                  >
                  > the power fo what we're doing comes when a video can be viral.
                  > trust me, the kind of work ive been seeing from people.
                  > there's no reason why other people wont start linking to it...once
                  > they find out whats going on.
                  >
                  > so like Clint and Adrian both say, if you really like a video....link to it.
                  > its the best compliment you can give.
                  >
                  > jay
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Markus Sandy
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
                    and tag it too!  I think this can be really important

                    http://www.luxomedia.com/blog/2005/05/tag-it.html

                    markus

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    --

                    Markus Sandy
                    http://apperceptions.org

                  • Andreas Haugstrup
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                      On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 07:51:43 +0200, Clint Sharp <clint@...> wrote:

                      > The problem I see is volume of blog posts. Obviously, people don't want
                      > to clutter up their videoblogs with a bunch of posts to invidivual
                      > bloggers.

                      Why not? Links are cheap, video is cheap. Shoot short pieces, long pieces,
                      all kinds of pieces. Link away to what you're responding to. That's the
                      power of blogging.

                      - Andreas
                      --
                      <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
                    • Clint Sharp
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                        Andreas Haugstrup wrote:

                        > Why not? Links are cheap, video is cheap. Shoot short pieces, long
                        > pieces,
                        > all kinds of pieces. Link away to what you're responding to. That's the
                        > power of blogging.
                        >
                        > - Andreas
                        > --
                        > <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>

                        True, but each post carries with it a title, description, timestamp
                        etc. I'm not usually adding much annotation, so I'm really liking what
                        del.icio.us is doing for me to quickly make short comments on vlog posts
                        I like and throw them a link:

                        http://clintsharp.com/archives/2005/06/02/links-for-2005-06-02/

                        Check that out. Instructions to follow.

                        Clint
                      • Andreas Haugstrup
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                          On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 23:38:34 +0200, Clint Sharp <clint@...> wrote:

                          > http://clintsharp.com/archives/2005/06/02/links-for-2005-06-02/
                          >
                          > Check that out. Instructions to follow.

                          Oh, so they are ending up on your blog (just in batches). That's pretty
                          cool. I've seen it on other blogs for just random links. I like your idea
                          of focusing on just video entries.

                          - Andreas
                          --
                          <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
                        • Joan
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                            Yeah, but time expensive.

                            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Haugstrup"
                            <solitude@s...> wrote:
                            > On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 07:51:43 +0200, Clint Sharp <clint@t...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > The problem I see is volume of blog posts. Obviously, people
                            don't want
                            > > to clutter up their videoblogs with a bunch of posts to
                            invidivual
                            > > bloggers.
                            >
                            > Why not? Links are cheap, video is cheap. Shoot short pieces, long
                            pieces,
                            > all kinds of pieces. Link away to what you're responding to.
                            That's the
                            > power of blogging.
                            >
                            > - Andreas
                            > --
                            > <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>
                          • Clint Sharp
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                              Joan wrote:

                              > Yeah, but time expensive.

                              Not really. With the way I'm proposing it would take no more time than
                              doing a comment on someone's blog. In fact, the procedure is virtually
                              identical. I'll try to get this documented tonight.

                              Clint