a quicktime question

  • Lucas Gonze
    Message 1 of 6 , May 27, 2005
      Hey voggers,

      I'm having a hell of a time getting Quicktime to do video playlists
      reliably. The problem is that it stops the playlist when there's an
      error, and what I want it to do is just to skip over the media file
      causing the error.

      Has anybody else dealt with this problem? Any ideas?

      thanks in advance.

      - Lucas
    • Joshua Kinberg
      Message 2 of 6 , May 28, 2005
        I wish I understood more about the problems you're having. You want
        the quicktime player to recognize and play a playlist, correct?

        I'm sure you've gone through Quicktime's flavor of SMIL (which isn't
        really SMIL at all).
        You can also use the qtnext parameter like they do here:
        http://www.soundscreen.com/qt_webmasters/qtnext/qt_next.html

        Not sure if either of these will help though if any of the items in
        the playlist are broken.
        Is there a way to build in any logic into SMIL that will let you know
        if a movie URL loads successfully?

        -Josh

        On 5/27/05, Lucas Gonze <lucas.gonze@...> wrote:
        > Hey voggers,
        >
        > I'm having a hell of a time getting Quicktime to do video playlists
        > reliably. The problem is that it stops the playlist when there's an
        > error, and what I want it to do is just to skip over the media file
        > causing the error.
        >
        > Has anybody else dealt with this problem? Any ideas?
        >
        > thanks in advance.
        >
        > - Lucas
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Joshua Kinberg
        Message 3 of 6 , May 28, 2005
          here's what I found on QTNEXT:
          http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/GSAS/GradLab/OnlineLecture/QT.htm

          QTNEXTn="URL" (optional...requires QuickTime 4)

          QTNEXT can be used to specify the url of a movie to load and
          play at the end of the
          current movie. This allows up to 256 consecutive movies to play
          one after the
          other. This behaves exactly the same as if the movie has a HREF
          track with an
          auto-url ("A<url>") at the end of the movie. Where n is an
          integer greater than 0
          and less than 256 that defines the index of the url in the
          playlist. A QTNEXT tag's
          value can be a url (and optional target) or GOTOnn where "nn"
          is the index of the
          QTNEXT url to load. This allows you to make an endlessly
          repeating playlist.

          Note: that the original movie (the SRC attribute) is implicitly QTNEXT0.

          For example:

          <EMBED SRC="nameof.mov" WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="240"
          QTNEXT1="<http://www.apple.com/quicktime/movies/sample.mov> T<myself>"
          QTNEXT2="<rtsp://www.apple.com/quicktime/movies/sample.mov> T<myself>"
          QTNEXT3="<URL> T<myself>
          QTNEXT4="GOTO0"

          On 5/28/05, Joshua Kinberg <jkinberg@...> wrote:
          > I wish I understood more about the problems you're having. You want
          > the quicktime player to recognize and play a playlist, correct?
          >
          > I'm sure you've gone through Quicktime's flavor of SMIL (which isn't
          > really SMIL at all).
          > You can also use the qtnext parameter like they do here:
          > http://www.soundscreen.com/qt_webmasters/qtnext/qt_next.html
          >
          > Not sure if either of these will help though if any of the items in
          > the playlist are broken.
          > Is there a way to build in any logic into SMIL that will let you know
          > if a movie URL loads successfully?
          >
          > -Josh
          >

          > On 5/27/05, Lucas Gonze <lucas.gonze@...> wrote:
          > > Hey voggers,
          > >
          > > I'm having a hell of a time getting Quicktime to do video playlists
          > > reliably. The problem is that it stops the playlist when there's an
          > > error, and what I want it to do is just to skip over the media file
          > > causing the error.
          > >
          > > Has anybody else dealt with this problem? Any ideas?
          > >
          > > thanks in advance.
          > >
          > > - Lucas
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Michael Sullivan
          Message 4 of 6 , May 28, 2005
            I use QTNEXT on vlogdir to play a cc license intro and outro....
            I use SMIL as well on vloggerblog.org but if a situation occurs where a media element cannot play, quicktime does often just hang.
            and... i am sure you being th eplaylist king... already know about these methods.

            so, i dont know an answer... i dont think there is one.

            sull

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            --
            sull
            http://vlogdir.com -is- The Videoblog Directory
            Message 5 of 6 , May 29, 2005
              No luck with QTNEXT, tried it. Also, tried a bunch of different
              things within a <par/> element in a (Quicktime-flavored) SMIL file.
              No luck.

              What does FireANT do to suppress errors, Josh? It it that you're
              using a binary API and the errors go to a callback?

              sull said:
              > so, i dont know an answer... i dont think there is one.

              Maybe! But I don't have an absolute reason why that's so, and QT is
              my preferred player on the Mac, and the only problem with QT that I
              haven't been able to fix is this one...
            • Joshua Paul
              Message 6 of 6 , May 29, 2005
                I looked over your original post, and you said your trying to
                overcome an error. Only you never detailed what error you're trying
                to overcome. Can you please explain it in more detail? Is there an
                error in the encoding of the video? An error in the HTML? Is there
                any error message you receive?

                My hunch is you'll have to do some type of programming, whether it's
                basic Javascript, or more advanced like PHP or server-side Java.

                - josh