video comments

  • Adrian Miles
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 2, 2004
      hi all

      had a look, bandwidth sick here today full stop, bout played ok.
      (though i'm at a uni so we have a *lot* of bandwidth.

      hope to add something tomorrow :-)

      cheers
      Adrian Miles
      hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
      interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
      research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/
    • Adrian Miles
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 3, 2004
        hi all

        i've added a comment to Andreas' SMIL comment system. :-)

        fyi: i uploaded a mpeg4 to my server, then opened it via http in QT
        player, then did a save as to make a reference movie (under 50kb). the
        reference movie is what i put into Andreas's system.

        this means:
        1. storage for Andreas is trivial
        2. it is now delivered off my server
        3. the reference movie simply retrieves the data from my server to play
        in Andreas' SMIL script

        cheers
        Adrian Miles
        hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
        interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
        research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/
      • Andreas Haugstrup
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 4, 2004
          Thanks for saving my university's bandwidth. :o)

          And a very thoughtful comment - a nice cultural analysis and everything.
          For those interested you can read about "The law of Jante" at:
          <http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A668694>

          Or for a little more positive outlook:
          <http://www.workindenmark.dk/Mentality>

          Personally I think I've been beat over the head with the Anti-Jante Law
          that it has actually helped reinforce the Jante Law. Stupid parents who
          wants the best for you. :o)

          There was an article in one of the large Danish newspapers a while back on
          digital photography. Some study showed that Danes are less likely to use
          their digital cameras in public (compared to the USA) because they feel
          ackward doing so. That's culture for you.

          Aaaanyway, I live in Aalborg, not Århus. You were close though. Aalborg is
          only about an hour south by train. I chose to study here not because it's
          only 50 km from my parents', but because it's one of the few places that
          take a broad education in communication seriously. :o)

          - Andreas

          --
          Personal: <http://www.solitude.dk>
          File Thingie - PHP File Manager <http://www.solitude.dk/filethingie/>
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 4, 2004
            Very enlightening articles. Danes seems a fascinating people. I think I might prefer to live in Denmark. :-)
            Lisa

            Andreas Haugstrup <videoblog@...> wrote:

            Thanks for saving my university's bandwidth. :o)

            And a very thoughtful comment - a nice cultural analysis and everything.
            For those interested you can read about "The law of Jante" at:

            Or for a little more positive outlook:

            Personally I think I've been beat over the head with the Anti-Jante Law
            that it has actually helped reinforce the Jante Law. Stupid parents who
            wants the best for you. :o)

            There was an article in one of the large Danish newspapers a while back on
            digital photography. Some study showed that Danes are less likely to use
            their digital cameras in public (compared to the USA) because they feel
            ackward doing so. That's culture for you.

            Aaaanyway, I live in Aalborg, not �rhus. You were close though. Aalborg is

            --
            Personal:
            File Thingie - PHP File Manager

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/lBLqlB/TM

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Lisa Harper
          • Adrian Miles
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 5, 2004
              On 04/09/2004, at 8:13 PM, Andreas Haugstrup wrote:

              > There was an article in one of the large Danish newspapers a while
              > back on
              > digital photography. Some study showed that Danes are less likely to
              > use
              > their digital cameras in public (compared to the USA) because they feel
              > ackward doing so. That's culture for you.

              yes, i can understand that.

              > Aaaanyway, I live in Aalborg, not Århus. You were close though.
              > Aalborg is
              > only about an hour south by train. I chose to study here not because
              > it's
              > only 50 km from my parents', but because it's one of the few places
              > that
              > take a broad education in communication seriously. :o)

              ah, I was in Aarhus for a conference in 2002, loved it. Spent a bit of
              time in København too, though I could do with some mountains :-)

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 24, 2004
                I see that Andreas has fixed the video comments.

                check out this re-reblogged post from Lucas Gonze's website.
                (the links are both here)
                http://www.unmediated.org/archives/2004/10/vidversation.php

                has anyone seen this?
                now to figure out how to best use them.

                so if you want to send a video comment...
                make a video, post it as usual, then go here ....
                http://www.solitude.dk/ping/client.php?method=pingback.extensions.getPingbacks&target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.solitude.dk%2Farchives%2F20040926-1712%2F&source=&getContent=on&result=HTML&submit=Make+Request
                (need a shorter URL)
                use the pulldown menu to choose what URL to comment on..and which
                video is commenting.
                i guess somehow the person will know Ive commented?

                Jay
              • Andreas Haugstrup
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 24, 2004
                  On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:49:12 -0400, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...>
                  wrote:

                  > so if you want to send a video comment...
                  > make a video, post it as usual, then go here ....
                  > http://www.solitude.dk/ping/client.php?method=pingback.extensions.getPingbacks&target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.solitude.dk%2Farchives%2F20040926-1712%2F&source=&getContent=on&result=HTML&submit=Make+Request
                  > (need a shorter URL)

                  There is one, but whoever made the blog entry at unmediated decided to
                  link directly to an example. The URL is:
                  <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/ping/client.php>

                  > i guess somehow the person will know Ive commented?

                  You can only comment on blogs that have pingbacks turned on. The procedure
                  hasn't changed since September 18th when I started looking for testers.
                  See: <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/archives/20040918-2125/>

                  - Andreas

                  --
                  Personal: <http://www.solitude.dk>
                  File Thingie - PHP File Manager <http://www.solitude.dk/filethingie/>
                • Joshua Paul
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 15, 2006
                    Hi all,

                    I've been working to improve a few things with the video comments, so
                    if you head over to:
                    http://www.joshpaul.com/blog/?p=157

                    you'll see a video that is using the latest version. The new version
                    does two things: alerts the viewer that a comment is loading, and
                    provides a link at the end of the video to leave a comment.

                    Cheers,

                    joshpaul*

                    blog: http://www.joshpaul.com/blog

                    * I've decided to sign as 'joshpaul' from now on, in order to avoid
                    confusion with the myriad of Josh's we have here.
                  • Ted Tagami
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 16, 2006
                      This one is stopping at the original video and not playing comments for me. The original worked great. So maybe something in the upgrade?
                      Firefox 1.5.0.4 on XP

                      On 6/15/06, Joshua Paul <joshpaul@...> wrote:

                      Hi all,

                      I've been working to improve a few things with the video comments, so
                      if you head over to:
                      http://www.joshpaul.com/blog/?p=157

                      you'll see a video that is using the latest version. The new version
                      does two things: alerts the viewer that a comment is loading, and
                      provides a link at the end of the video to leave a comment.

                      Cheers,

                      joshpaul*

                      blog: http://www.joshpaul.com/blog

                      * I've decided to sign as 'joshpaul' from now on, in order to avoid
                      confusion with the myriad of Josh's we have here.

                      --
                      Ted Tagami
                      Founding Partner
                      Universus Networks, LLC

                      U N I V E R S U S . N E T
                      Video Bloggers Podcasting
                      Vloggercon.com - San Francisco
                      June 10th and 11th, 2006
                    • Shannon Noble
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 16, 2006
                        I like. Works quite nicely. Good job!!!

                        -shannon

                        On 6/15/06, Joshua Paul <joshpaul@...> wrote:

                        Hi all,

                        I've been working to improve a few things with the video comments, so
                        if you head over to:
                        http://www.joshpaul.com/blog/?p=157

                        you'll see a video that is using the latest version. The new version
                        does two things: alerts the viewer that a comment is loading, and
                        provides a link at the end of the video to leave a comment.

                        Cheers,

                        joshpaul*

                        blog: http://www.joshpaul.com/blog

                        * I've decided to sign as 'joshpaul' from now on, in order to avoid
                        confusion with the myriad of Josh's we have here.

                        --

                        v l o g :: b a n a l

                        http://x.nnon.tv