Re: [videoblogging] vogroll 3 test

  • Jay Dedman
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 1, 2004
      iii. download the test movie from:
      http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vogroll/vogRoll3Test.mov
      to play it locally.
      iv. see how long stuff takes to load.
      7. report back, does it work well enough? yes, no?

      Do i put it on my own blog?
      or just watch it from your site?

      --
      Jay Dedman
      Manhattan Neighborhood Network
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 2, 2004
        On 02/09/2004, at 4:07 PM, Jay Dedman wrote:

        > Do i put it on my own blog?
        > or just watch it from your site?

        both. it isn't ready for delivery so don't put it on your blog. with no
        pictures and just me doing all the talking it won't make sense to
        anybody :-)

        we just need to see if it works...

        cheers
        Adrian Miles
        hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
        interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
        research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/
      • Andreas Haugstrup
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 2, 2004
          On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 15:59:34 +1000, Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@...>
          wrote:

          > 7. report back, does it work well enough? yes, no?

          It worked just fine for me (from Denmark, I guess I'm in the middle
          between Australia and the US). :o)

          There was a small delay when hovering over each video, maybe three seconds
          to wait at the most.

          - Andreas
          --
          Personal: <http://www.solitude.dk>
          File Thingie - PHP File Manager <http://www.solitude.dk/filethingie/>
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 2, 2004
            Unfortunately, it's crashing IE on my PC. I'll take a look at the SMIL file later today to see if I can figure out what's going on...
            Lisa

            Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@...> wrote:

            On 02/09/2004, at 4:07 PM, Jay Dedman wrote:

            > Do i put it on my own blog?
            > or just watch it from your site?

            both. it isn't ready for delivery so don't put it on your blog. with no
            pictures and just me doing all the talking it won't make sense to
            anybody :-)

            we just need to see if it works...

            cheers
            Adrian Miles
            hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
            interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
            research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/

            Lisa Harper
          • Steve Garfield
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 2, 2004
              Hey, I've got vogroll on my safari!

              This is weird.

              After going from one web page to another using tabs in safari, the
              vogroll stays on top, and refresh won't make it go away.
            • David Wolf
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 2, 2004
                I had something similar happen the other day with the vogroll.

                As usual I had quite a few tabs open in safari, one of them had the
                vogroll on it and I was getting random bits of sound from it when I
                moused around the screen.

                Did you have a lot of windows/tabs open? Safari seems to get a bit
                flaky when I have 10+ pages open and I leave the program running for a
                week or more (i generally don't switch my laptop off, just put it to
                sleep).

                Weird

                Dave

                On 03/09/2004, at 12:33 AM, Steve Garfield wrote:

                > Hey, I've got vogroll on my safari!
                >
                > This is weird.
                >
                > After going from one web page to another using tabs in safari, the
                > vogroll stays on top, and refresh won't make it go away.
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                >

                > <thumb_blogroll.jpg>
                >
                > On Sep 2, 2004, at 1:59 AM, Adrian Miles wrote:
                >
                >> hi all
                >>
                >> vog roll 3.0 is ready for testing. this is definitely test only.

              • Christopher Weagel
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 2, 2004
                  It does result in some interesting design.

                  chris
                • Steve Garfield
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 2, 2004
                    Yes. I had a zillion tabs open.

                    All video blogs. ;-)

                    On Sep 2, 2004, at 10:39 AM, David Wolf wrote:

                    > Did you have a lot of windows/tabs open?
                    --------- [ Web Sites ] ---------
                    Steve Garfield Video Production
                    http://stevegarfield.com

                    Video Blog
                    http://stevegarfield.blogs.com/videoblog/

                    Weblog: Off On A Tangent
                    http://offonatangent.blogspot.com/
                  • Shannon Noble
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 2, 2004
                      Re: [videoblogging] vogroll 3 test I’m seeing between 1 to 3 second loads here.

                      On 9/1/04 10:59 PM, "Adrian Miles" <adrian.miles@...> wrote:

                      hi all

                      vog roll 3.0 is ready for testing. this is definitely test only.

                      the url is:
                      http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vog_archive/000435.html

                      1. this is a 16Kb file which loads all the other material via child
                      movies
                      2. this means that the other content can live where ever it likes and
                      it is loaded into this vogroll on demand
                      3. for this experiment I shot all the material (sorry, all me) but it
                      is now located:
                      i. clip 1 is hosted by Steve Garfield
                      ii. clip 2 is hosted by Shannon Noble
                      iii. clip 3 by Jay Dedman
                      iv. clip 4 by me
                      v. clip 5 by Deidre Straughan

                      4. this means 4 out of 5 are in the US, one in Australia
                      5. the clips have a data rate of around 4.5 k bytes a second
                      6. to test:
                      i. view it from the above url. this movie is loading from Aust. but
                      most of the content is loading as you ask for it from the United States
                      ii. see how long it takes for individual movies to appear (here most
                      appear within 4 seconds)
                      iii. download the test movie from:
                      http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vogroll/vogRoll3Test.mov
                      to play it locally.
                      iv. see how long stuff takes to load.
                      7. report back, does it work well enough? yes, no?

                      if we get it ok then the idea is that you host your own content on your
                      own server. As long as the data rate is low enough then it will load
                      happily on demand. The length can be as long as you wish (number 4, for
                      example is all of them together, runs for 3min 45 sec). You can change
                      it whenever you like as long as the url is maintained and the data rate
                      appropriate. The image btw will not be a number, but from the video
                      itself. :-)

                      cheers
                      Adrian Miles
                      hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
                      interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
                      research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1291qvhl8/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1705554021:HM/EXP=1094191185/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      --This is Vlog: http://x.nnon.tv/

                    • Lisa Harper

                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 4, 2004
                          On 02/09/2004, at 7:42 PM, Andreas Haugstrup wrote:

                          > It worked just fine for me (from Denmark, I guess I'm in the middle
                          > between Australia and the US). :o)
                          >
                          > There was a small delay when hovering over each video, maybe three
                          > seconds
                          > to wait at the most.

                          ok, this is about the vogroll v. 3.

                          so what do people think? acceptable performance all in all? (the one
                          that was hosted on Deidre's site seemed to be really slow, not sure if
                          that is a permanent fact of life or just a bad network hair day).

                          if people think the lag is too much (personally I don't, but I'm making
                          it for community use) then we could use still images and I could just
                          use soundtracks in the same way that it is currently using videotracks.
                          That way bandwidth should be low enough to work within 2 seconds. The
                          images would of course be what has been already provided, and the audio
                          can be whatever you want it to be, and you'd host it.

                          so, are we going to run with this?
                          [ ] yep, i prefer video in the vogroll
                          [ ] yep, i prefer audio only in the vogroll

                          i'll make up a tutorial on how to compress to the appropriate data rate
                          to make this viable. and let you know. but it won't work if you don't
                          make some content for it....

                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 4, 2004
                            On 03/09/2004, at 12:33 AM, Steve Garfield wrote:

                            > After going from one web page to another using tabs in safari, the
                            > vogroll stays on top, and refresh won't make it go away.

                            yeah, as david noted you can get weird behaviour in safari with lots of
                            tabs and no restarts. i think it's cache gets seriously confused...

                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 5, 2004
                              > so, are we going to run with this?
                              > [ ] yep, i prefer video in the vogroll
                              > [ ] yep, i prefer audio only in the vogroll

                              I definitely want to try it out.
                              what do you need from us if everyone agrees to do it?

                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 5, 2004
                                On 06/09/2004, at 10:41 AM, Jay Dedman wrote:

                                > I definitely want to try it out.
                                > what do you need from us if everyone agrees to do it?

                                i will write/make a tute on how to compress to appropriate format/data
                                rate. everyone sends me urls of their vogroll videos, i'll script it...

                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 7, 2004
                                  On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 16:36:40 +1000, Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > so, are we going to run with this?

                                  [X] yep, i prefer video in the vogroll
                                  [ ] yep, i prefer audio only in the vogroll

                                  > i'll make up a tutorial on how to compress to the appropriate data rate
                                  > to make this viable. and let you know. but it won't work if you don't
                                  > make some content for it....

                                  I'd really like a tutorial. Sometimes I feel pretty lost when working with
                                  all this video-stuff.
                                  And I promise I'll make a video. I really promise for real this time.

                                  If someone can figure out a way to embed movies in an XHTML document that
                                  would rock too. <embed> is not a part of XHTML so I won't use it (I need
                                  to keep my documents very strict). I don't know how to make <object>
                                  reliable over a wide range of browsers...

                                  - Andreas