vogroll 3 test

  • Adrian Miles
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 1 10:59 PM
      hi all

      vog roll 3.0 is ready for testing. this is definitely test only.

      the url is:
      http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vog_archive/000435.html

      1. this is a 16Kb file which loads all the other material via child
      movies
      2. this means that the other content can live where ever it likes and
      it is loaded into this vogroll on demand
      3. for this experiment I shot all the material (sorry, all me) but it
      is now located:
      i. clip 1 is hosted by Steve Garfield
      ii. clip 2 is hosted by Shannon Noble
      iii. clip 3 by Jay Dedman
      iv. clip 4 by me
      v. clip 5 by Deidre Straughan

      4. this means 4 out of 5 are in the US, one in Australia
      5. the clips have a data rate of around 4.5 k bytes a second
      6. to test:
      i. view it from the above url. this movie is loading from Aust. but
      most of the content is loading as you ask for it from the United States
      ii. see how long it takes for individual movies to appear (here most
      appear within 4 seconds)
      iii. download the test movie from:
      http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vogroll/vogRoll3Test.mov
      to play it locally.
      iv. see how long stuff takes to load.
      7. report back, does it work well enough? yes, no?

      if we get it ok then the idea is that you host your own content on your
      own server. As long as the data rate is low enough then it will load
      happily on demand. The length can be as long as you wish (number 4, for
      example is all of them together, runs for 3min 45 sec). You can change
      it whenever you like as long as the url is maintained and the data rate
      appropriate. The image btw will not be a number, but from the video
      itself. :-)

      cheers
      Adrian Miles
      hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
      interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
      research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/
    • Jay Dedman
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 1 11:07 PM
        iii. download the test movie from:
        http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vogroll/vogRoll3Test.mov
        to play it locally.
        iv. see how long stuff takes to load.
        7. report back, does it work well enough? yes, no?

        Do i put it on my own blog?
        or just watch it from your site?

        --
        Jay Dedman
        Manhattan Neighborhood Network
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 2 12:20 AM
          On 02/09/2004, at 4:07 PM, Jay Dedman wrote:

          > Do i put it on my own blog?
          > or just watch it from your site?

          both. it isn't ready for delivery so don't put it on your blog. with no
          pictures and just me doing all the talking it won't make sense to
          anybody :-)

          we just need to see if it works...

          cheers
          Adrian Miles
          hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
          interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
          research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/
        • Andreas Haugstrup
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 2 2:42 AM
            On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 15:59:34 +1000, Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@...>
            wrote:

            > 7. report back, does it work well enough? yes, no?

            It worked just fine for me (from Denmark, I guess I'm in the middle
            between Australia and the US). :o)

            There was a small delay when hovering over each video, maybe three seconds
            to wait at the most.

            - Andreas
            --
            Personal: <http://www.solitude.dk>
            File Thingie - PHP File Manager <http://www.solitude.dk/filethingie/>
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 2 4:48 AM
              Unfortunately, it's crashing IE on my PC. I'll take a look at the SMIL file later today to see if I can figure out what's going on...
              Lisa

              Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@...> wrote:

              On 02/09/2004, at 4:07 PM, Jay Dedman wrote:

              > Do i put it on my own blog?
              > or just watch it from your site?

              both. it isn't ready for delivery so don't put it on your blog. with no
              pictures and just me doing all the talking it won't make sense to
              anybody :-)

              we just need to see if it works...

              cheers
              Adrian Miles
              hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
              interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
              research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/

              Lisa Harper
            • Steve Garfield
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 2 7:33 AM
                Hey, I've got vogroll on my safari!

                This is weird.

                After going from one web page to another using tabs in safari, the
                vogroll stays on top, and refresh won't make it go away.
              • David Wolf
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 2 7:39 AM
                  I had something similar happen the other day with the vogroll.

                  As usual I had quite a few tabs open in safari, one of them had the
                  vogroll on it and I was getting random bits of sound from it when I
                  moused around the screen.

                  Did you have a lot of windows/tabs open? Safari seems to get a bit
                  flaky when I have 10+ pages open and I leave the program running for a
                  week or more (i generally don't switch my laptop off, just put it to
                  sleep).

                  Weird

                  Dave

                  On 03/09/2004, at 12:33 AM, Steve Garfield wrote:

                  > Hey, I've got vogroll on my safari!
                  >
                  > This is weird.
                  >
                  > After going from one web page to another using tabs in safari, the
                  > vogroll stays on top, and refresh won't make it go away.
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >

                  > <thumb_blogroll.jpg>
                  >
                  > On Sep 2, 2004, at 1:59 AM, Adrian Miles wrote:
                  >
                  >> hi all
                  >>
                  >> vog roll 3.0 is ready for testing. this is definitely test only.

                • Christopher Weagel
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 2 7:43 AM
                    It does result in some interesting design.

                    chris
                  • Steve Garfield
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 2 8:06 AM
                      Yes. I had a zillion tabs open.

                      All video blogs. ;-)

                      On Sep 2, 2004, at 10:39 AM, David Wolf wrote:

                      > Did you have a lot of windows/tabs open?
                      --------- [ Web Sites ] ---------
                      Steve Garfield Video Production
                      http://stevegarfield.com

                      Video Blog
                      http://stevegarfield.blogs.com/videoblog/

                      Weblog: Off On A Tangent
                      http://offonatangent.blogspot.com/
                    • Shannon Noble
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 2 5:15 PM
                        Re: [videoblogging] vogroll 3 test I’m seeing between 1 to 3 second loads here.

                        On 9/1/04 10:59 PM, "Adrian Miles" <adrian.miles@...> wrote:

[...]

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1291qvhl8/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1705554021:HM/EXP=1094191185/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        --This is Vlog: http://x.nnon.tv/

                      • Lisa Harper

                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 4 11:36 PM
                            On 02/09/2004, at 7:42 PM, Andreas Haugstrup wrote:

                            > It worked just fine for me (from Denmark, I guess I'm in the middle
                            > between Australia and the US). :o)
                            >
                            > There was a small delay when hovering over each video, maybe three
                            > seconds
                            > to wait at the most.

                            ok, this is about the vogroll v. 3.

                            so what do people think? acceptable performance all in all? (the one
                            that was hosted on Deidre's site seemed to be really slow, not sure if
                            that is a permanent fact of life or just a bad network hair day).

                            if people think the lag is too much (personally I don't, but I'm making
                            it for community use) then we could use still images and I could just
                            use soundtracks in the same way that it is currently using videotracks.
                            That way bandwidth should be low enough to work within 2 seconds. The
                            images would of course be what has been already provided, and the audio
                            can be whatever you want it to be, and you'd host it.

                            so, are we going to run with this?
                            [ ] yep, i prefer video in the vogroll
                            [ ] yep, i prefer audio only in the vogroll

                            i'll make up a tutorial on how to compress to the appropriate data rate
                            to make this viable. and let you know. but it won't work if you don't
                            make some content for it....

                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 4 11:45 PM
                              On 03/09/2004, at 12:33 AM, Steve Garfield wrote:

                              > After going from one web page to another using tabs in safari, the
                              > vogroll stays on top, and refresh won't make it go away.

                              yeah, as david noted you can get weird behaviour in safari with lots of
                              tabs and no restarts. i think it's cache gets seriously confused...

                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 5 5:41 PM
                                > so, are we going to run with this?
                                > [ ] yep, i prefer video in the vogroll
                                > [ ] yep, i prefer audio only in the vogroll

                                I definitely want to try it out.
                                what do you need from us if everyone agrees to do it?

                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 5 6:03 PM
                                  On 06/09/2004, at 10:41 AM, Jay Dedman wrote:

                                  > I definitely want to try it out.
                                  > what do you need from us if everyone agrees to do it?

                                  i will write/make a tute on how to compress to appropriate format/data
                                  rate. everyone sends me urls of their vogroll videos, i'll script it...

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 7 2:03 PM
                                    On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 16:36:40 +1000, Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > so, are we going to run with this?

                                    [X] yep, i prefer video in the vogroll
                                    [ ] yep, i prefer audio only in the vogroll

                                    > i'll make up a tutorial on how to compress to the appropriate data rate
                                    > to make this viable. and let you know. but it won't work if you don't
                                    > make some content for it....

                                    I'd really like a tutorial. Sometimes I feel pretty lost when working with
                                    all this video-stuff.
                                    And I promise I'll make a video. I really promise for real this time.

                                    If someone can figure out a way to embed movies in an XHTML document that
                                    would rock too. <embed> is not a part of XHTML so I won't use it (I need
                                    to keep my documents very strict). I don't know how to make <object>
                                    reliable over a wide range of browsers...

                                    - Andreas