the black box

  • Jay Dedman
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2004
      so we have a new member of the group.
      Dan Melinger.
      met him this week during the http://konscious.tv shoot at my station.
      he is filling in so many blanks for me.

      Dan has a black box that hooks up his Tv and his computer.
      he uses uses RSS/bit torrent technology to download video feeds all the
      time.
      then in the morning, he watches ON HIS these shows, movies or whatever video
      he subscribes to.
      he says the quality is pretty good depending on the original.
      a 2 hour hollywood film is about 2GB.
      Dan says its no different than TIVO...you watch what you want, when you want
      it.
      My feeling is that this is awesome...and its important for more people to
      start making video to be seen. whatever your flavor may be.
      the delivery system is pretty much here.

      Dan made his black box himself and uses a PC.
      I asked him to write up a brief description.
      Im going to hopefully videoblog his set-up soon so we can see it.

      _________

      Jay

      here's a good overview of the rss+bittorrent technology:
      http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/bitTorrent

      The application with which I've had the most success is the one mentioned
      on the page above, Radio Userland. However, it's built for much more than
      just this purpose and seems too clunky for solely the above purpose. There's
      also a sample RSS feed that I've tried out (at legaltorrents.com) and here
      are some more: http://sailes.co.uk/rss.php

      I've also tried an app called Buttress
      (http://www.sailes.co.uk/buttress/screen.php)
      and a plugin for the Bittorrent client
      Azureus (http://azureus.sourceforge.net/plugin_details.php?plugin=rssfeed)
      with mixed results. There are a few more apps for downloading bittorrent
      enclosures and launching them listed here:
      http://www.unmediated.org/archives/000721.html

      Then, I'm running SageTV on my Windows XP-based set-top-box. The .torrent
      enclosures are automatically downloaded and launched in a bittorrent client.
      Then the downloaded video files are placed into a folder on my STB that
      SageTV looks at for video files. Using my remote control, I can browse those
      downloaded files.

      BTW, I just joined your group!

      Size and quality varies - depends on the media - for video I've d/l'ed
      media from 100K to 5GB, how much time varies too - depends on your bandwidth
      and how popular the media is. That's a cool thing about bittorrent. It flips
      the rules of downloading large files on their head - the more people are
      downloading, the faster the download. For not-so-popular media, the
      downloads may crawl or may go fast. For popular media, they can go pretty
      fast - like over 100Kbps.

      Maintaining drive space has been a bit tough for me. Essentially sageTV
      deletes its old recordings that I've watched automatically but I do need to
      do housecleaning of bt d/l's from time to time.

      The box connects to my tv via an s-video port built into my motherboard,
      which is on the back of the box and cable tv gets in via an s-video port on
      my capture and mpeg encoder/decoder card.

      make some sense?

      dan

      --
      Jay Dedman