the video comments tool

  • Jay Dedman
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2004
      so here is the SMIL compilatipon that peter made of our videoblogging week
      that we did two months ago.
      http://poorbuthappy.com/ease/movies/videobloggingweek.mov

      correct me if im wrong...but what andreas has done is automatic the process
      which is huge.
      what we need is just better presentation.
      --like a title above the screen.
      also, simple instructions.
      --like did you know that you can click on the "coment by steve(or whover)" and
      a drop down list of all the comments is posted.
      --instructions on how to save as a file to your own computer...]
      --how about an "email this to a friend"

      also, must the video be streamed?
      i hate the buffering?
      what if we had no bandwdith issues?

      can the videos be MPEG 4? is that MOV?
      can we stitch WMV and MOV togther?

      --
      Jay Dedman
      Manhattan Neighborhood Network
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2004
        On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 22:46:32 -0500, Jay Dedman <jay@...> wrote:

        > correct me if im wrong...but what andreas has done is automatic the
        > process
        > which is huge.

        That's pretty much it. I used Peter's SMIL file as a base actually. :o)

        > what we need is just better presentation.
        > --like a title above the screen.

        I considered this, but it's actually a lot more work than you'd think. If
        I could put the text directly into the SMIL file I would have no issues
        making this. But the way I understand it I have to have the text in a
        seperate text file which is then imported. I'm already saving two files
        for each comment (the video, and a title image). I feel that the value
        added isn't worth the work involved - you already have the chapter titles
        and links to people websites (just click inside the quicktime window and
        your browser should go to their website).

        > --instructions on how to save as a file to your own computer...]
        >
        > also, must the video be streamed?
        > i hate the buffering?

        The way I see this is a job for the Apple/Quicktime software developers,
        not a job for you and I. :o)
        The player should have a button that saved all the different parts of a
        SMIL presentation to your harddrive.

        > can the videos be MPEG 4? is that MOV?

        My original post is an MPEG 4 quicktime file. I think all the comments are
        not MPEG 4. Both work it seems.

        > can we stitch WMV and MOV togther?

        It should be possible in Real Player, but since Quicktime can't play WMV
        files it's not possible in Quicktime.

        - Andreas
        --
        Personal: <http://www.solitude.dk>
        File Thingie - PHP File Manager <http://www.solitude.dk/filethingie/>
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2004
          On 02/09/2004, at 8:39 PM, Andreas Haugstrup wrote:

          > I considered this, but it's actually a lot more work than you'd think.
          > If
          > I could put the text directly into the SMIL file I would have no issues
          > making this. But the way I understand it I have to have the text in a
          > seperate text file which is then imported.

          yep. it pulls the text from where ever it happens to be. SMIL is
          excellent for this.

          > I'm already saving two files
          > for each comment (the video, and a title image). I feel that the value
          > added isn't worth the work involved - you already have the chapter
          > titles
          > and links to people websites (just click inside the quicktime window
          > and
          > your browser should go to their website).
          >
          >> --instructions on how to save as a file to your own computer...]
          >>
          >> also, must the video be streamed?
          >> i hate the buffering?
          >
          > The way I see this is a job for the Apple/Quicktime software
          > developers,
          > not a job for you and I. :o)
          > The player should have a button that saved all the different parts of a
          > SMIL presentation to your harddrive.d

          why? why not make the url visible so that it can be linked/used via the
          network?

          >> can the videos be MPEG 4? is that MOV?
          >
          > My original post is an MPEG 4 quicktime file. I think all the comments
          > are
          > not MPEG 4. Both work it seems.

          with QT being used for SMIL .mov and compliant mp4 will play fine. as
          will some avi's.

          >> can we stitch WMV and MOV togther?
          >
          > It should be possible in Real Player, but since Quicktime can't play
          > WMV
          > files it's not possible in Quicktime.

          what codecs does WMV use? or are they all Windows only? if there's a
          common codec then Qt will probably play it...

          cheers
          Adrian Miles
          hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/adrian
          interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
          research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/
        • Andreas Haugstrup
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 7, 2004
            On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 16:43:21 +1000, Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@...>
            wrote:

            >> The way I see this is a job for the Apple/Quicktime software
            >> developers,
            >> not a job for you and I. :o)
            >> The player should have a button that saved all the different parts of a
            >> SMIL presentation to your harddrive.d
            >
            > why? why not make the url visible so that it can be linked/used via the
            > network?

            If the user wants to save all the parts of a SMIL presentation in one
            self-contained file it makes no sense to display URLs. That was what Jay
            wanted after all. My point is merely that that functionality should be
            provided by the SMIL player and not by the person who creates the SMIL
            presentation. :o)

            If the user wants to link to individual parts or reuse a part the URLs
            should of course be available. I see this mostly as a job for the SMIL
            player as well (failing that the URLs can be embedded in the visible
            presentation of course).

            >>> can we stitch WMV and MOV togther?
            >>
            >> It should be possible in Real Player, but since Quicktime can't play
            >> WMV
            >> files it's not possible in Quicktime.
            >
            > what codecs does WMV use? or are they all Windows only? if there's a
            > common codec then Qt will probably play it...

            As far as I'm informed WMV use some very proprietary very Microsoft-only
            codecs. Why Real Player and VLC can play WMV files, but Quicktime can't I
            don't know.

            (As a side note my spell checker wants to change 'Quicktime' to
            'Quicklime')

            - Andreas
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 7, 2004
              On 08/09/2004, at 7:15 AM, Andreas Haugstrup wrote:

              > If the user wants to save all the parts of a SMIL presentation in one
              > self-contained file it makes no sense to display URLs. That was what
              > Jay
              > wanted after all. My point is merely that that functionality should be
              > provided by the SMIL player and not by the person who creates the SMIL
              > presentation. :o)

              to quote Andreas from another email, this is an emotional not a
              rational point:

              chunking of everything into one file is a *bad* thing. Fine to
              aggregate, not fine to then turn that aggregation into a single object
              (if this is the intention). This stuff works because of our
              distributed, granular nature. That ought to be preserved as a thing of
              considerable importance. Lose the granularity and I think the
              idea/concept/practice changes.... (is changed?)