open-media part 5

  • Jay Dedman
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2004
      okay, i sent our video coment project to JD Lasica over at
      http://Open-Media.org
      I believe that this is the exact kind of stuff they are looking for.
      so our worries of bandwidth and storage really is becoming a non-issue.
      here's what he wrote today:

      Hi Jay,

      I talked with the Internet Archive folks sunday. Two things:

      - Yes, they'll store our video and provide bandwidth fast enough for serving
      video (I don't know the precise mps rate). The only restriction is they want
      stuff that's at least semi-creative in nature, not just shots of the family
      birthday or random people walking down the street.

      - they said they generally handle file sizes up to 2 GB per piece of media.

      Sound good? We can actually begin experimenting with this right away rather
      than waiting for the open media public website to launch in 4-6 weeks. If
      you're interested, lemme know. Can't do it this week (stewart's on vacation)
      but could as early as in a week or two.

      My answer, in short is: Let's try it and see what happens.

      jd
      _____________

      2GB files!!!!
      none of us make a file more than 10MB. haha
      so of course i said let us know the details.
      we could do a huge collaborative video project using this video comment
      system.
      maybe we'll get http://videoblogging.info onto their server.
      let's work the bugs out of the Andreas' player.
      we need to be able to jump around to each individual video.

      --
      Jay Dedman
      Manhattan Neighborhood Network