wanted: WMV compression tutorial

  • Joshua Kinberg
    Message 1 of 25 , May 1, 2005
      Most people here using Quicktime have relied on Michael Verdi's
      tutorial explaining his best compression results using 3ivx
      compression codec with Final Cut Pro (works same for iMovie and
      Quictktime Pro): http://www.michaelverdi.com/demo/3ivx.pdf

      I would like to see something similar for WMV and Windows Movie Maker.
      What are the best settings for web delivery and how to acheive them
      using Movie Maker (or similar software). How do I create WMV files
      with "progressive download" (what Quicktime calls "fast start") so
      that my movie begins playing immediately when someone clicks the link,
      without having to download the whole thing first?

      Use Verdi's tutorial as a model for this... its been such a great
      resource for this group, but there is nothing out there for those of
      us in the Windows Media space (at least nothing to my knowledge).

      So, someone out there in Windows land... you have your assignment!
      Much love and mad props to anyone who takes on this challenge! You
      will certainly receive lots of comments, feedback, and praise for your
      efforts.

      -Josh
    • Deirdre Straughan
      Message 2 of 25 , May 2, 2005
        Does it have to be WMV? I'm using Windows Movie Maker, Roxio
        VideoWave, and Sorenson Squeeze (Flash version) for compression.
        There's some tutorial-like stuff on various of my vlog pages
        (http://www.straughan.com/vlog/index.html) and most of my recent
        videos include notations on video and sound compression.

        There's also an unfinished tutorial on VideoWave at
        http://www.straughan.com/tech/videoed.html

        --
        best regards,
        Deirdré Straughan
        Message 3 of 25 , May 2, 2005
          Doesn't Sorenson Squeeze cost $200? NOt sure about Roxio VideoWave...
          my hunch is that its not free either?

          FLV is much more complicated on the production side than WMV. You have
          to know how to use Flash + Actionscript pretty well to be able to
          include standard elements that viewers expect when they watch video
          (i.e. video controls, volume controls).

          I'd really just like to know the best settings for web delivery of
          WMV, and how to acheive those using free tools such as Movie Maker.

          -Josh

          On 5/2/05, Deirdre Straughan <deirdre.straughan@...> wrote:
          > Does it have to be WMV? I'm using Windows Movie Maker, Roxio
          > VideoWave, and Sorenson Squeeze (Flash version) for compression.
          > There's some tutorial-like stuff on various of my vlog pages
          > (http://www.straughan.com/vlog/index.html) and most of my recent
          > videos include notations on video and sound compression.
          >
          > There's also an unfinished tutorial on VideoWave at
          > http://www.straughan.com/tech/videoed.html
          >
          > --
          > best regards,
          > Deirdré Straughan
          > www.straughan.com

        • Adam Quirk
          Message 4 of 25 , May 2, 2005
            > So, someone out there in Windows land... you have your assignment!

            On my list. Tonight. I'm gonna so steal Verdi's format. Just printed it out.

            Adam
          • Michael Verdi
            Message 5 of 25 , May 2, 2005
              On May 2, 2005, at 5:06 PM, Adam Quirk wrote:

              >> So, someone out there in Windows land... you have your assignment!
              >>

              > On my list. Tonight. I'm gonna so steal Verdi's format. Just
              > printed it out.
              >
              > Adam

              Cool! Let's put it on Freevlog when it's ready.

              -Verdi
              http://michaelverdi.com
              http://freevlog.blogspot.com
            • Adam Quirk
              Message 6 of 25 , May 3, 2005
                http://www.bullemhead.com/city/2005/05/windows_movie_maker_2_settings_for_web_compression.html

                or

                http://tinyurl.com/chhao

                -Adam

                On 5/2/05, Michael Verdi <michael@...> wrote:

                > On May 2, 2005, at 5:06 PM, Adam Quirk wrote:
                >
                > >> So, someone out there in Windows land... you have your assignment!
                > >>

                > > On my list. Tonight. I'm gonna so steal Verdi's format. Just
                > > printed it out.
                > >
                > > Adam
                > >

                > Cool! Let's put it on Freevlog when it's ready.
                >
                > -Verdi
                > http://michaelverdi.com
                > http://freevlog.blogspot.com
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Adam Quirk
                Message 7 of 25 , May 3, 2005
                  Duh, I should have sent this link. It's on Videoblogging.info, not my site:

                  http://www.videoblogging.info/archives/how-to-compress-videos-with-microsoft-movie-maker-2/

                  http://tinyurl.com/8n43a

                  Adam

                  On 5/3/05, Adam Quirk <bullemhead@...> wrote:
                  > http://www.bullemhead.com/city/2005/05/windows_movie_maker_2_settings_for_web_compression.html
                  >
                  > or
                  >
                  > http://tinyurl.com/chhao
                  >
                  > -Adam

                  > > > On my list. Tonight. I'm gonna so steal Verdi's format. Just
                  > > > printed it out.
                  > > >
                  > > > Adam
                  > > >

                  > > Cool! Let's put it on Freevlog when it's ready.
                  > >
                  > > -Verdi
                  > > http://michaelverdi.com
                  > > http://freevlog.blogspot.com
                  > >

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • David Meade
                  Message 8 of 25 , May 3, 2005
                    Thanks Adam.

                    Do you have any experience with The Windows Media Encoder tool? I
                    played around with it last night and was able to get 3ivx/MP4 plug-
                    ins installed ... and then I saw most of the option Michael has
                    talked about in his PDF for Quicktime. I also saw the option
                    for "progressive download" and what not ...
                    I do not, however, think I got it all right. I played around with
                    it some and did a dual-pass encoding and managed to get one of my
                    wmv files down to half it's orgional file size with very little
                    quality loss.
                    I had been saving my WMV files as you described, so I'm pretty sure
                    the encoder tool is a valuable piece of the puzzle ... I just dont
                    understand codecs and what not well enough (yet) to figure it all
                    out myself.

                    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default
                    .aspx

                    - Dave

                    --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Adam Quirk <bullemhead@g...>
                    wrote:

                    http://www.bullemhead.com/city/2005/05/windows_movie_maker_2_settings
                    _for_web_compression.html

                    > or
                    >
                    > http://tinyurl.com/chhao
                    >
                    > -Adam

                    > > > On my list. Tonight. I'm gonna so steal Verdi's format. Just
                    > > > printed it out.
                    > > >
                    > > > Adam
                    > > >

                    > > Cool! Let's put it on Freevlog when it's ready.
                    > >
                    > > -Verdi
                    > > http://michaelverdi.com
                    > > http://freevlog.blogspot.com
                    > >

                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Adam Quirk
                    Message 9 of 25 , May 3, 2005
                      http://tinyurl.com/7wf8

                      Wow. I had no idea this even existed. I just downloaded it, will
                      play around, append my tutorial with my findings later.

                      Thanks for sharing that.

                      Adam

                      > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default
                      > .aspx
                    • David Meade
                      Message 10 of 25 , May 3, 2005
                        Thanks Adam! I was convinced I'd done something worth doing ... but
                        still dont really know what that was! LOL I'd appriciate the help.

                        There's a bunch of stuff that sounds really cool at their
                        main "Windows Media" site.

                        http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/default.aspx

                        - Dave ... the new guy
                        http://www.davidmeade.com

                        wrote:
                        > http://tinyurl.com/7wf8
                        >
                        > Wow. I had no idea this even existed. I just downloaded it, will
                        > play around, append my tutorial with my findings later.
                        >
                        > Thanks for sharing that.
                        >
                        > Adam

                        http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default
                        > > .aspx
                      • Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen
                        Message 11 of 25 , May 3, 2005
                          On ething I've noted is that I get warnings in Windows Media Player that my
                          3ivx trial has expired (I get no warning in Quicktime), so I don't know if
                          you're limited to 30 days or whatever with WMV files and 3ivx.

                          Something to look into.

                          - Andreas

                          On Tue, 3 May 2005 14:27:50 -0400, Adam Quirk wrote
                          > http://tinyurl.com/7wf8
                          >
                          > Wow. I had no idea this even existed. I just downloaded it, will
                          > play around, append my tutorial with my findings later.
                          >
                          > Thanks for sharing that.
                          >
                          > Adam
                          >
                          > > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default
                          > > .aspx

                          <http://www.solitude.dk>
                        • Adam Quirk
                          Message 12 of 25 , May 3, 2005
                            > On ething I've noted is that I get warnings in Windows Media Player that my
                            > 3ivx trial has expired (I get no warning in Quicktime), so I don't know if
                            > you're limited to 30 days or whatever with WMV files and 3ivx.

                            3IVX audio encoder is only a 30 day trial, for whatever reason.

                            The video encoder is free forever.
                          • Steve Watkins
                            Message 13 of 25 , May 3, 2005
                              No, it is not free forever, you are supposed to buy it, its just that
                              the trial isnt crippled so people appear to have made assumptions.

                              Im not even convinced that the cheap personal licence is enough (click
                              on one of the products on this page and see what it says):

                              http://store.3ivx.com/3ivxStore/index.php?id=2

                              The pro licence is more expensive but definately covers people:

                              http://store.3ivx.com/3ivxStore/index.php?id=3

                              Not that anybody has wanted to talk about this with me on the list, I
                              keep going on about it but have mostly been ignored so far. Dont shoot
                              the messenger, thats what Im bound to think, or else everyones decided
                              to do an ostrich with the issue, I dunno?

                              Or maybe Im mad. Maybe its just fine to encourage new videobloggers to
                              use an encoder they are supposed to pay for, without telling them that
                              they are breaking the licence if they upload content made with the
                              trial. If I am mad then someone is going to have to tell me, or I am
                              going to keep raising this issue until someone responds.

                              Cheers

                              Elbows of Exasperation

                              Message 14 of 25 , May 3, 2005
                                > Not that anybody has wanted to talk about this with me on the list, I
                                > keep going on about it but have mostly been ignored so far. Dont shoot
                                > the messenger, thats what Im bound to think, or else everyones decided
                                > to do an ostrich with the issue, I dunno?
                                >
                                > Or maybe Im mad. Maybe its just fine to encourage new videobloggers to
                                > use an encoder they are supposed to pay for, without telling them that
                                > they are breaking the licence if they upload content made with the
                                > trial. If I am mad then someone is going to have to tell me, or I am
                                > going to keep raising this issue until someone responds.

                                Steve--

                                why dont email 3vix and find out the official word.
                                tell them what people are doing...and see what they say.
                                find out if people need to pay for a license, how much, and what
                                ahppens if people dont pay.
                                (why do they not expire the version if unpaid? how do they tell what's
                                made with their software?)
                                we're bootstrapping Steve....but please research and let us know.

                                jay
                              • Adam Quirk
                                Message 15 of 25 , May 3, 2005
                                  Weird stuff.

                                  3ivx is the only place I've found that allows a full download with
                                  full capabilities to all users, but then claims in small print that
                                  you shouldn't really be using it.

                                  Doesn't that seem weird? Why wouldn't they put that on the download
                                  page? If they really don't want people to be broadcasting video that
                                  was produced using their product, shouldn't they be more clear?

                                  Maybe they will discontinue the Free download now that the store is
                                  live. Or maybe they are just selling it to demonstrate added value?
                                  Like "Look we're charging for this, but You can get it free. Don't
                                  you feel lucky?". Then people just use the hell out of it and feel
                                  like they're getting away with something?

                                  Dunno,
                                  Adam
                                • Michael Sullivan
                                  Message 16 of 25 , May 3, 2005
                                    The plus version is:
                                    "primarily for personal, family or household use"

                                    primarily?  does this mean that creative commons and public domain media may fall under this plus version since it is not commercial use?

                                    you're right, Steve.  But technically I think http://www.mpegla.com/ are the source for license requirements for mp4 standard technologies.
                                    either way, this is obviously not an enforceable compliance especially for those who are releasing content under cc or public domain licenses.

                                    If we the Videoblogging Group were an official organization, then we would have some responsibilities to not encourage the use of the 'test' 3ivx license for anything more than testing locally and not distributing the content that uses the codec.  But, we are just a casual open group and Michael Verdi created a casual open document on how to use 3ivx, though it doesnt imply that people should not pay for a license....

                                    This is less of an issue than using copyrighted music... and people will continue to do that.  Unless the 3ivx codec crippled a video or audio file after x days, then people will use it without paying and not feel guilty until they start making content that makes them money.

                                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                    --

                                    i n t e r d i g i t a t e . c o m
                                  • Steve Watkins
                                    Message 17 of 25 , May 3, 2005
                                      Thanks for the replies :)

                                      Jay said:

                                      >why dont email 3vix and find out the official word.
                                      >tell them what people are doing...and see what they say.

                                      Because the more I read their site, the less I feel there is any
                                      question as to whether people need to pay.

                                      And I didnt exactly want to alert them to the fact that loads of
                                      people might be breaking their license, I didnt think the community
                                      would thank me for that.

                                      I havent been following 3ivx for very long. Perhaps it used to be free
                                      and they only recently got the store etc in place?

                                      Michael Sullivan wrote:
                                      > The plus version is:
                                      > "primarily for personal, family or household use"
                                      >
                                      > primarily? does this mean that creative commons and public domain
                                      media may
                                      > fall under this plus version since it is not commercial use?

                                      Ive a feeling it might mean that the plus version is not really for
                                      sharing video with lots of people on the net, but its not clear.

                                      > you're right, Steve. But technically I think http://www.mpegla.com/
                                      are the
                                      > source for license requirements for mp4 standard technologies.
                                      > either way, this is obviously not an enforceable compliance
                                      especially for
                                      > those who are releasing content under cc or public domain licenses.

                                      Im not sure what you mean. Things like mpeg4 are licenced to people
                                      who want to make encoding & decoding hardware & software. The end user
                                      doesnt need to go to the licensing body, they buy products which are
                                      licensed.

                                      As far as I know the issue here is the 3ivx product license, what you
                                      are allowed to do with their software and video created by it is
                                      entirely up to 3ivx and defined in that licence, which the website
                                      invite everyone to read before downloading 3ivx.

                                      >But, we are just a casual open group and
                                      > Michael Verdi created a casual open document on how to use 3ivx,
                                      though it
                                      > doesnt imply that people should not pay for a license....

                                      Its a great guide, and very useful. My hat goes off to Michael and
                                      anybody else who has been involved with such guides and websites. I
                                      only go on about this issue because I love the community guides, and I
                                      want them to be as good as possible, and to include all useful
                                      information. The very fact that it is such a good guide is what makes
                                      the 3ivx issue relevant, if this community is going to point people
                                      towards such guides, its best if it deals with issues of costs upfront.

                                      Ive no doubt that everybody involved with recommending 3ivx for
                                      videblogging did so in good faith and there has been nothing
                                      deliberately naughty or misleading going on by anybody at any time,
                                      and yes 3ivx hardly make it obvious from a casual browse of their site
                                      that its not free.

                                      Im simply asking the community to respond to these new facts about
                                      3ivx. Given that it costs money, videoblogging guides for mac should
                                      probably offer an alternative option, eg the built in mpeg4 stuff in
                                      quicktime. It does not give quite as good a results as 3ivx, but it
                                      is not really awful in comparison.

                                      I still think h264 is a winner in the medium term, once more people
                                      can view it, but I can see that its going to take some convincing
                                      people based on others h264 comments so far. I spent far too long
                                      comparing different peoples 3ivx videoblogs to some h264 tests I did,
                                      and I could not work out how people see no improvement in h264. The
                                      "squares of doom" are gone at the kinds of bitrates that videobloggers
                                      are using. I think possibly what has caused people to be dissapointed
                                      with h264 is that apple might have overhyped it with all the talk of
                                      making videos 4 times the resolution with the same bitrate.

                                      Cheers

                                      Steve of Elbows
                                    • jim stewart
                                      Message 18 of 25 , May 3, 2005
                                        WM Enc is a very good tool. And there are a bunch of other utils that
                                        come with it such as the stream editor etc which allow you to embed
                                        script for URL flips and other stuff. The help files are pretty good
                                        that come with it.

                                        However WMM is better for people who aren't that keen in looking under
                                        the bonnet.

                                        Do folk still want a tutorial forWM Enc? I can put one together but
                                        it won't be until next week.

                                        Regards

                                        Jim
                                        http://jimstewart.net

                                        On 5/4/05, Adam Quirk <bullemhead@...> wrote:
                                        > http://tinyurl.com/7wf8
                                        >
                                        > Wow. I had no idea this even existed. I just downloaded it, will
                                        > play around, append my tutorial with my findings later.
                                        >
                                        > Thanks for sharing that.
                                        >
                                        > Adam
                                        >

                                        > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default
                                        > > .aspx

                                      • David Meade
                                        Message 19 of 25 , May 4, 2005
                                          --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, jim stewart <jimboot@g...>
                                          > Do folk still want a tutorial forWM Enc? I can put one together
                                          but it won't be until next week.

                                          I think such a tutorial would be great! I'd certainly use it, and I
                                          think alot of people would.

                                          > However WMM is better for people who aren't that keen in looking
                                          under the bonnet.

                                          Yes, I think when people first get started in vlogging (as I am
                                          now) - they at first don't want to look under the hood ... they just
                                          want to get movies up and people commenting.

                                          But eventually (and I think pretty quickly) they start thinking
                                          about keeping up with the technology curve, and what they can do to
                                          improve their video and their site for their viewers. They want
                                          their vlog to be as painless and accessible as all the others.

                                          There are alot of Windows users out there. As more and more people
                                          get vlogging, more and more this group will be Windows users.

                                          I'm a PC user and have been frustrated lately that most of the data
                                          I have is for Macs ... kinda feels like to do it "the right way" I
                                          need a mac or really expensive software to accomplish what is
                                          (apparently) included in MacOS. I really don't want to have to buy
                                          a new computer soley for publishing my vlog :-P

                                          If there were tutorials out there on how to get the most milage out
                                          of WMV, I'd be very happy and I think alot of our future new people
                                          would as well.

                                          - Dave
                                          http://www.davidmeade.com
                                        • Steve Warren
                                          Message 20 of 25 , May 4, 2005
                                            --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, jim stewart <jimboot@g...>

                                            >> Do folk still want a tutorial forWM Enc? I can put one together

                                            If you do this, could you please explain how to create a WMV that's compliant with the new Portable Media Center devices? I've subscribed to the Blogdigger WMV feed, and am getting really interesting stuff coming through on my iRiver PMC-120. It would be great if Windows Media Player could copy the WMV's straight to the device without re-encoding the file!

                                            Here's my blog entry about my new device:

                                            http://www.interactivenyc.com/blog/archives/2005/04/my_new_device_i.html

                                            Steve Warren
                                            http://www.interactivenyc.com/blog
                                          • erikpatt
                                            Message 21 of 25 , May 4, 2005
                                              --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Steve Warren <steve@i...> wrote:
                                              > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, jim stewart <jimboot@g...>
                                              >
                                              > >> Do folk still want a tutorial forWM Enc? I can put one together
                                              > >

                                              > If you do this, could you please explain how to create a WMV that's
                                              compliant with the new Portable Media Center devices? I've subscribed
                                              to the Blogdigger WMV feed, and am getting really interesting stuff
                                              coming through on my iRiver PMC-120. It would be great if Windows
                                              Media Player could copy the WMV's straight to the device without
                                              re-encoding the file!

                                              > Here's my blog entry about my new device:
                                              >
                                              > http://www.interactivenyc.com/blog/archives/2005/04/my_new_device_i.html
                                              >
                                              > Steve Warren
                                              > http://www.interactivenyc.com/blog

                                              I'd love one!
                                            • Michael Verdi
                                              Message 22 of 25 , May 5, 2005
                                                Hey everyone,
                                                Here's a couple of things that I'm thinking about:
                                                1. Ryanne and I will do some updated compression tutorials in the
                                                near future using free tools.
                                                2. It does seem that 3ivx needs to be paid for - although what
                                                license you need isn't clear. (it would really suck if it was the $99
                                                one)
                                                3. I'd gladly make tutorials for compression on Windows if I had a
                                                PC. Hey Scoble, maybe Microsoft could send me one?
                                                4. The new freevlog website has lots of demonstrations that we're
                                                putting up in QuickTime movies. The idea is that you can pause the
                                                video and then do the step, then resume the video and so on. It's
                                                too bad you can't seem to do this with wmv.
                                                5. Maybe next week when I get some more time, I'll put up some 3ivx &
                                                H.264 comparisons. To my eye, at the same bit-rate, 3ivx is sharper
                                                and has more contrast. H.264 is somewhat soft (like H.263) and so
                                                doesn't show as many artifacts when the movie is show full screen.
                                                Also on my 1.5GHz G4 with 768MB of ram a 3min video takes about 6
                                                minutes to encode with 3ivx and takes about 20 minutes to encode with
                                                H.264. I'm not saying that H.264 is a bad codec, it's just that the
                                                only thing it's about 4 times better than is Cinepak.

                                                -Verdi
                                                http://michaelverdi.com
                                                http://freevlog.blogspot.com
                                              • David Meade
                                                Message 23 of 25 , May 5, 2005
                                                  --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Michael Verdi <michael@m...>
                                                  wrote:
                                                  > 4. The new freevlog website has lots of demonstrations that
                                                  > we're putting up in QuickTime movies. The idea is that you
                                                  > can pause the video and then do the step, then resume the
                                                  > video and so on.
                                                  > It's too bad you can't seem to do this with wmv.

                                                  ?? I'm able to pause my WMVs ... or have just misread that? ;)

                                                  - Dave
                                                  http://www.davidmeade.com
                                                • Steve Watkins
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , May 5, 2005
                                                    Cheers, sounds like a plan :) Sorry if I came across as some kind of
                                                    git with my rantings on these issues, I think my passion often gets
                                                    mutated into something less savoury.

                                                    I am struggling to keep up with trying to do too many things at once
                                                    here, but Im hoping to do more H264 testing this weekend. Thanks for
                                                    the details about your experience so far. I cant wait to see more h264
                                                    test samples from people, I will post mine ASAP.

                                                    Cheers

                                                    Steve of Elbows

                                                    --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Michael Verdi <michael@m...> wrote:
                                                    > Hey everyone,
                                                    > Here's a couple of things that I'm thinking about:
                                                    > 1. Ryanne and I will do some updated compression tutorials in the
                                                    > near future using free tools.
                                                    > 2. It does seem that 3ivx needs to be paid for - although what
                                                    > license you need isn't clear. (it would really suck if it was the $99
                                                    > one)
                                                    > 3. I'd gladly make tutorials for compression on Windows if I had a
                                                    > PC. Hey Scoble, maybe Microsoft could send me one?
                                                    > 4. The new freevlog website has lots of demonstrations that we're
                                                    > putting up in QuickTime movies. The idea is that you can pause the
                                                    > video and then do the step, then resume the video and so on. It's
                                                    > too bad you can't seem to do this with wmv.
                                                    > 5. Maybe next week when I get some more time, I'll put up some 3ivx &
                                                    > H.264 comparisons. To my eye, at the same bit-rate, 3ivx is sharper
                                                    > and has more contrast. H.264 is somewhat soft (like H.263) and so
                                                    > doesn't show as many artifacts when the movie is show full screen.
                                                    > Also on my 1.5GHz G4 with 768MB of ram a 3min video takes about 6
                                                    > minutes to encode with 3ivx and takes about 20 minutes to encode with
                                                    > H.264. I'm not saying that H.264 is a bad codec, it's just that the
                                                    > only thing it's about 4 times better than is Cinepak.
                                                    >
                                                    > -Verdi
                                                    > http://michaelverdi.com
                                                    > http://freevlog.blogspot.com
                                                  • Deirdre Straughan
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , May 6, 2005
                                                      On 5/2/05, Joshua Kinberg <jkinberg@...> wrote:
                                                      > Doesn't Sorenson Squeeze cost $200?

                                                      $99 for the Flash version.

                                                      > NOt sure about Roxio VideoWave...

                                                      Retails $79 or 99, with competitive upgrade, rebate, etc., you don't
                                                      need to pay nearly that much.

                                                      > I'd really just like to know the best settings for web delivery of
                                                      > WMV, and how to acheive those using free tools such as Movie Maker.

                                                      I suspect that there's no such thing as absolute best settings.
                                                      Depends on the content of the video (in order of compressibility, most
                                                      to least: mostly still subject and background, subject in motion,
                                                      subject in motion against a moving background) and how important sound
                                                      quality is. For whoever's interested, in my recent videos I note what
                                                      compression settings I used.

                                                      --
                                                      best regards,
                                                      Deirdré Straughan